Why Do You Hate The Leafs?

classical

That thread with the clip about Chris Nilan brought back some memories. I can't remember that big brawl in 1986, though, but I definitely remember the players on both sides. I was 20 at the time (so you do the math :) ).

Anyways, the rivalry with the Bruins was and is a real rivalry, not like the "manufactured" rivalry with the Leafs. The reason I say that is because the Habs have played the Bruins in the playoffs continually (not continuously, for you English majors out there) for as long as I can remember. The Leafs? The last time the Habs met them in the playoffs was 1979. Plus, from Grade 10 until I was 32, the Habs and Leafs didn't even play in the same conference. So how can I possibly hate the Leafs? Yes, a Habs fan who doesn't hate the Leafs. :o

I can understand why some of us old guys hate the Leafs, but what I don't get is why you younger guys hate them--what do you base your hatred on? Even though I was certainly old enough, I don't remember the 1979 playoffs at all, the last time the Habs played actual meaningful games against them. If I can't remember, there's no way you younglings can remember (if you were even born yet). It seems like your hatred isn't based on anything substantial.

Having said that, I'm fairly isolated out here on the West Coast, so I don't get to experience the taunting with all the Leafs fans out east. I'm sure that plays a big part in it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as you wrapped up in your post you do not have to deal with Leaf fans out east.

That is most likely the biggest contributor to my hatred, when the Habs won the cup in 93 there were a few Habs fans in My Kingston Ontario School but way more Leaf fans and it was awesome to rub their noses in it. Especially when all they would do is complain about Game 6 Leafs Kings with the Gretzky high stick on Gilmour. Most Leaf fans remember this as game 7 what they forget is it was game 6 and the BLEW GAME 7 AT HOME IN MAPLE LEAF GARDNES LIKE 7-1 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

Also Leaf fans always think they are the fan of the best team in the NHL year in and year out. Oodles of Leaf fans honestly preach about how the Leafs are sure fire cup contenders (this year it has tailed off slightly but is still rather annoying)

So to me it does not matter that they were not in the same conference for many years as the Habs and Leafs are the NHL’s oldest and more storied rivalry. Some may say the Bruins because of the 25+ playoff meetings but how many times have the gone head to head in the cup finals!

I actually don't hate the Leafs. Maybe that's not something I'm supposed to admit, but that's the truth.

:angry:

i hate the leafs...because they are the leafs....

no seriously i hate the fans i hate the media around them loving the ohhhh so great leafs and always putting down the habs...and obviesly you dont live around here...leafs fans get cocky when they come to montreal...but as you say...its more of a fan hatred then the teams themselves...i know i wouldnt stand sitting next to a leaf fan in a bar cause i would probebly beat the living shit out of himm after ohh say a couple a beers....but hey thats just the way i am

;)

That thread with the clip about Chris Nilan brought back some memories. I can't remember that big brawl in 1986, though, but I definitely remember the players on both sides. I was 20 at the time (so you do the math :) ).

Anyways, the rivalry with the Bruins was and is a real rivalry, not like the "manufactured" rivalry with the Leafs. The reason I say that is because the Habs have played the Bruins in the playoffs continually (not continuously, for you English majors out there) for as long as I can remember. The Leafs? The last time the Habs met them in the playoffs was 1979. Plus, from Grade 10 until I was 32, the Habs and Leafs didn't even play in the same conference. So how can I possibly hate the Leafs? Yes, a Habs fan who doesn't hate the Leafs. :o

I can understand why some of us old guys hate the Leafs, but what I don't get is why you younger guys hate them--what do you base your hatred on? Even though I was certainly old enough, I don't remember the 1979 playoffs at all, the last time the Habs played actual meaningful games against them. If I can't remember, there's no way you younglings can remember (if you were even born yet). It seems like your hatred isn't based on anything substantial.

Having said that, I'm fairly isolated out here on the West Coast, so I don't get to experience the taunting with all the Leafs fans out east. I'm sure that plays a big part in it.

ohh yeah if you want to fuel your hatred just go on mapleleafs.com and read any comment they say about the habs...i cant reply anymore since i got banned...heh..

Overall, I have nothing against the team. I honestly don't think there has been a Leafs-Habs rivalry since the 1960s. The late 1970s certainly do not count: we played 8 playoff games, and guess who won all all eight? Those Sittler-MacDonald-Palmateer teams never had a chance. That's not a rivalry, that's a one-sided ass-kicking. But I digress... since there hasn't been a rivalry for so long, I can't really say I hate the team. I dislike the Bruins and even a team like the Hurricanes much much more based on recently history.

That being said, "Leafs Nation" annoys me, in two ways:

1) Media hype: players like McCabe, Tucker, Domi etc. are completely overrated by the TO-centred media. I get sick of hearing how very average D-men like McCabe should win the Norris Trophy, about how Domi could score 25 goals if he got 15 minutes of ice time, about how Raycroft and Aubin are the most underrated goalie combo in the league... yawn. We hear so much rubbish about the Leafs in the media that it's impossible not to get annoyed.

2) Many Leafs fans are completely insufferable. Not all of them - some of my best friends are Leafs fans, and one will even throw a temper tantrum if you mention the name "Tom Kurvers" to him, which is hilarious - but a very vocal minority. They buy into the media hype and constantly tell you how awesome their team is. And they have a HUGE problem with the Habs and our history. They simply cannot accept that the Montreal Canadiens are the most succesful team in NHL history, and they try to dismiss that. I was at a party once in Toronto, and I met this one really obnoxious Leafs fan... once he found out I was a Habs fan, he wouldn't leave me alone. "You know you only won all those cups because you got all the French players, right?" (Universal entry draft began in 1967. Cups since then: Leafs 0; Habs 10) "You probably think Ken Dryden is a better goalie than Mike Palmateer!" (find me one person outside of Toronto who thinks Palmateer was better, and I'll be happy). "You probably think Jacques Plante is the best goalie ever. No, you probably think Patrick Roy was the greatest goalie ever!" (Who's better, Johnny Bower?) This went on all night. And I'm sure all of you know a Leafs fan like that, too.

Edited by option+

My hatred for the leafs is based on the cockyness of their ignorant fans, and also on the 'canadian' media that puts 99% of their focus on the leafs.

My hatred also comes from the Pat Quinn era in Toronto. From his constant bitching to league officials and complaints about the refs, when his team, led by Tie Dummy, Darcy *ucker, Travis Green, and Bryan McCabe, happen to be some of the dirtiest players in the league.

You can also attribute some of the roots to inheritance. My father was a leaf hater, and I am a leaf hater as a result. And I can guaranty you that my sons and daughters will be leaf haters as well!

Overall, I have nothing against the team. I honestly don't think there has been a Leafs-Habs rivalry since the 1960s. The late 1970s certainly do not count: we played 8 playoff games, and guess who won all all eight? Those Sittler-MacDonald-Palmateer teams never had a chance. That's not a rivalry, that's a one-sided ass-kicking. But I digress... since there hasn't been a rivalry for so long, I can't really say I hate the team. I dislike the Bruins and even a team like the Hurricanes much much more based on recently history.

That being said, "Leafs Nation" annoys me, in two ways:

1) Media hype: players like McCabe, Tucker, Domi etc. are completely overrated by the TO-centred media. I get sick of hearing how very average D-men like McCabe should win the Norris Trophy, about how Domi could score 25 goals if he got 15 minutes of ice time, about how Raycroft and Aubin are the most underrated goalie combo in the league... yawn. We hear so much rubbish about the Leafs in the media that it's impossible not to get annoyed.

2) Many Leafs fans are completely insufferable. Not all of them - some of my best friends are Leafs fans, and one will even throw a temper tantrum if you mention the name "Tom Kurvers" to him, which is hilarious - but a very vocal minority. They buy into the media hype and constantly tell you how awesome their team is. And they have a HUGE problem with the Habs and our history. They simply cannot accept that the Montreal Canadiens are the most succesful team in NHL history, and they try to dismiss that as an inconvenience. I was at a party once in Toronto, and I met this one really obnoxious Leafs fan... once he found out I was a Habs fan, he wouldn't leave me alone. "You know you only won all those cups because you got all the French players, right?" (Universal entry draft began in 1967. Cups since then: Leafs 0; Habs 10) "You probably think Ken Dryden is a better goalie than Mike Palmateer!" (find me one person outside of Toronto who thinks Palmateer was better, and I'll be happy). "You probably think Jacques Plante is the best goalie ever. No, you probably think Patrick Roy was the greatest goalie ever!" (Who's better, Johnny Bower?) This went on all night. And I'm sure all of you know a Leafs fan like that, too.

But as long as we don't play any meaningful games on the ice, there is no rivalry there. The potential is there, though.

to be honest my friend who is a leafs fan just accepts that their crap.

I definitley don't hate the leafs. Infact there are many other NHL teams I hate more. Buffalo, Philly, Pittsburgh are more. I love all the Canadian teams, and will always root for a Canadian team over an American one.

But there definitley is an anti-Leaf sentiment on this site.

I definitley don't hate the leafs. Infact there are many other NHL teams I hate more. Buffalo, Philly, Pittsburgh are more. I love all the Canadian teams, and will always root for a Canadian team over an American one.

But there definitley is an anti-Leaf sentiment on this site.

Bad answer :wacko:

Sorry :puke:

Bad answer :wacko:

Sorry :puke:

Atleast is was an answer to the question posed. What is this reply? Are you just one of those sheep that does what everybody else does? You just hate Toronto because you see other people doing it?

Instead of just saying somebody has a bad answer, why don't you offer an opinion and contribute to the sight instead of just slighting other people.

They're not hockey fans, they're Leaf fans.

Amen.

I don't really hate the leafs themselves (except for Tucker)

It's "Leaf Nation" and that little bit of extra arrogance i hate.

I think this thread should be merged with the existing thread on the Maple Leafs in the NHL forum:

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=8672

Atleast is was an answer to the question posed. What is this reply? Are you just one of those sheep that does what everybody else does? You just hate Toronto because you see other people doing it?

Instead of just saying somebody has a bad answer, why don't you offer an opinion and contribute to the sight instead of just slighting other people.

I wasn't answering the thread, I was directly refering to your post. That is why I hit the reply button.

Sheep? Doubt that very highly. Growing up in Toronto in a family that loved the Leafs, not to mention leaf fan friends. I have plenty of reasons to despise that franchise. More then I care to get into.

Take it easy Chump! Life is too short to get so hot under the collar over a forum post. Besides......I don't think there is anybody worse then YOU when it comes to bagging on other people's comments.

I hate the Leafs because I hate the Leafs. It was a trait I was born with. There's a reason I chanted Guy, Guy, Guy at the television when I was six and not Darryl or Lanny.

At present, I hate the Leafs mostly due to their fan-base which is largely blindly-arrogant.

I wasn't answering the thread, I was directly refering to your post. That is why I hit the reply button.

Sheep? Doubt that very highly. Growing up in Toronto in a family that loved the Leafs, not to mention leaf fan friends. I have plenty of reasons to despise that franchise. More then I care to get into.

Take it easy Chump! Life is too short to get so hot under the collar over a forum post. Besides......I don't think there is anybody worse then YOU when it comes to bagging on other people's comments.

Well you've definitley proved your from Toronto, arrogant, simple minded and most importantly, you know nothing about the Montreal Canadiens, or you'd actually share an opinion or thought about them

Well you've definitley proved your from Toronto, arrogant, simple minded and most importantly, you know nothing about the Montreal Canadiens, or you'd actually share an opinion or thought about them
1909/10: On December 4th, the Canadiens are founded by J. Ambrose O'Brien, a sportsman from Ottawa, with financial support from another magnate of the time, T.C. Hare. The latter providing the $1,000 required for the formation of a team as well as the $5,000 to guarantee the players' salaries. Playing in newly formed National Hockey Association, the Canadiens take the ice for the first time on January 5th beating the Cobalt Silver Kings 7-6 in overtime before 3,000 spectators at Jubilee Rink. There was not much success that year for the Canadiens as they finished with a woeful record of 2-10.

1910/11: The Canadiens are sold to George Kennedy as the team's sweaters are changed from blue to red during an improved 8-8 season that season them finish 2nd in the NHA.

1911/12: The Canadiens finish in 4th place in the NHA with a record of 8-10.

1912/13: The Canadiens continue to play mediocre hockey as they finish in 5th place with a 9-11 record.

1913/14: The Canadiens post their first winning season finishing 2nd with a 13-7 record. However, with a chance to play for the Stanley Cup the drop a total goal series to the Toronto Blueshirts by a score of 6-2 losing Game 2 in Toronto 6-0 after winning Game 1 at home 2-0.

1914/15: The Canadiens uniform begins to take on a familiar look with their red jerseys featuring a red C on a blue stripe makes it debut the only difference is an A is in the center of the C. However, the Canadiens struggle on the ice finishing with an awful 6-14 record.

1915/16: The Canadiens rebound off a terrible season and finish in first place finishing with a solid 16-7-1 record. Representing the NHA the Canadiens faced the Portland Rosebuds from the PCHA with the Stanley Cup on the line. After the 2 teams split the first 4 games the Canadiens took the decisive 5th game when seldom used Goldie Prodgers found the back of the net in the 3rd period to give the Habs a 2-1 win for their first Stanley Cup. Players received $238 for winning the cup.

1916/17: After winning their first Stanley Cup the Canadiens jersey are changed again with an H replacing the A, as the Canadiens, establishing a look that would become one of the most familiar insignia in the world of sports. After winning the first half championship the Canadiens struggle in the 2nd half finishing with an overall 10-10 record, but making the playoffs. In the NHA final the Canadiens would beat the Ottawa Senators 7-5 in a 2-game total goal series. However with the Stanley Cup on the line the Canadiens are stunned by the Seattle Metropolitans of the PCHA in 4 games. After winning Game 1, by a score of 8-4 the Habs would be thrashed in the final 3 games by a combined score of 19-3 as an American team claims the Cup for the first time.

1917/18: Stemming partly from hatred of Toronto Blueshirts owner Eddie Livingstone, the owners of the NHA's teams decide to form a new league known as the National Hockey League leaving LIvingstone behind. Sharing the Montreal Arena with Wanderers the Canadiens win the first ever NHL game 7-4 as Joe Malone scored 5 goals including the first goal in NHL history. The Canadiens would go on to finish in a first place tie with a 13-9 record, as Joe Malone scores 44 goals in 22 games establishing a season record that would last 27 years. Establishing an NHL first was goalie Georges Vezina who recorded the NHL's first shutout over the Toronto Arenas 9-0 on February 18th. The season was not without its difficult moments as the Habs were forced to return to Jubilee Rink after the Montreal Arena burned down. However, the Habs would drop their playoff against the Toronto Arena with NHL title on the line.

1918/19: In their 2nd NHL season the Canadiens finish in 2nd place with a 10-8 record. In the NHL Finals the Canadiens would earn the right to represent the league with Stanley Cup on the line by beating the Ottawa Senators in a Total Goal Series. In a rematch of the 1917 final the Canadiens faced the Seattle Metropolitans in a series using both Western 6-man and Eastern 5-man rules played in Seattle. After the Mets took Games 1 and 3 under Western rules, the Canadiens need to win Game 4 just to stay alive in the series. However, Game 4 would never be decided as neither team could score. As Game 5 was played the influenza epidemic in the Seattle are began to become a concern as several players off each team became seriously sick. The Habs would force a decisive 6th game after winning Game 5 in OT 4-3. However, the influenza outbreak would get worse, and the rest of the series was cancelled. The epidemic would hit home for the Canadiens when defenseman Joe Hall succumbed on April 5th.

1919/20: The Canadiens are touched by fire again as Jubilee Rink is lost in a summer fire. This forced officials to scramble and build a new rink between Clarke and Saint-Urbain Streets called Mount Royal Arena which was built for $300,000 in less then 6 months, housing 10,000 seats. In their first game at their new arena the Canadiens beat the Toronto St. Patricks 14-7, as Newsy Lalonde scored a record 6 goals. However, the Canadiens would fall short in their attempt to return to the playoffs as they finished in 2nd place with a 13-11 record.

1920/21: The Canadiens fall just short of the playoffs again, finishing in 3rd place with a 13-11 record.

1921/22: Tragedy strikes the Canadiens as their owner George Kennedy passes away. Shortly after his passing Kennedy's widow sells the team to Leo Dandurand, Jos Cattarinich & Louis A Letourneau for $11,500. Under new ownership the Canadiens would be on the outside looking in again finishing in 3rd place with a 12-11-1 record.

1922/23: The Canadiens are involved in a tight battle all season for first place finishing 1 point short with a 13-9-2 record. With a second chance in the playoffs the Canadiens would be beaten out by the Ottawa Senators in a Total Goal Series.

1923/24:The Canadiens finish the season in 2nd place again with a 13-11 record. However, in the NHL playoffs the Canadiens would win the right to fight for the Stanley Cup by beating the Ottawa Senators in a Total Goal series. In the finals the Canadiens beat both the Vancouver Millionaire sand Calgary Tigers in 2 straight to claim their 2nd Stanley Cup. The star of the first series against Vancouver was Billy Boucher who scored 3 of the Habs 5 goals including both game winners. While 21-year old rookie Howie Morenz notched Hat Trick in both games against Calgary.

1924/25: Due to problems with the ice at the Mount Royal Arena the Canadiens are forced to open their season in the rival Maroons new home known as the Montreal Forum. In the first game ever at the Forum the Habs beat the Toronto St. Patricks 7-1 scoring the first goal is Billy Boucher. The Habs would return to their home and would go on to finish in 3rd place with a 17-11-2 record. Facing the St. Patricks in the semifinal the Canadiens would win easily to advance to the NHL final. However, the final would be canceled, as the Hamilton Tigers did not make payment to their players, forcing 10 players to quit the team, as the Canadiens were awarded the NHL Championship. Facing the Victoria Cougars in the Stanley Cup Finals the Canadiens fumble the NHL's stranglehold on the Stanley Cup falling in 4 games. It would be the last time a non-NHL team won hockey's Holy Grail.

1925/26: During an early season game on November 28th legendary goalie George Vezina collapses after the first period due to a high fever. In his 16th season with Habs, Vezina would never play again, being diagnosed with tuberculosis. Without their star backstop the Canadiens would fall into last place with an 11-24-1 record. Shortly after the season ended Vezina would succumb at the age of 39. Following his passing the NHL would name a yearly award for the best goaltender in his honor.

1926/27: Now playing in the Montreal Forum fulltime the Canadiens would rebound from their season of loss to finish in 2nd place in the Canadian Division with a 28-14-2 record as George Hainsworth captures the first Vezina Trophy. In the playoffs the Habs would battle their English speaking rivals the Montreal Maroons, beating them in overtime of Game 2 to capture their total goal series 2-1. However, in the semifinals the Canadiens would be beaten 5-1 in a Total Goal series by the Ottawa Senators.

1927/28: Led by Howie Morenz who wins the Hart Trophy with a league best 51 points the Canadiens finish the season with the best record in the NHL at 26-11-7. However in the semifinals the Habs would be stunned by the Maroons in overtime of Game 2, losing their total goal series by a score of 3-2.

1928/29: George Hainsworth sets an NHL record by recording 22 shutouts on the way to his 3rd straight Vezina Trophy as the Canadiens again finish with the best record in the NHL at 22-7-15. However, the Canadiens would be shutout themselves in playoffs, as they are swept by the Boston Bruins in 3 straight losing the first 2 games 1-0.

1929/30: The Canadiens finish the season in 2nd place with a record of 21-14-9, losing a tight race with the rival Maroons. In the playoffs the Canadiens would beat the Chicago Blackhawks in a Total Goal Series before sweeping the New York Rangers in 2 straight to earn a trip to the finals. Facing the Boston Bruins who posted an impressive 38-5-1 record in the regular season the Canadiens pull off the upset beating the Bruins in 2 straight to win their 3rd Stanley Cup, staring for the Habs in the Finals in Sylvio Mantha who tallies key goals in both games.

1930/31: The Canadiens win their 3rd division in 4 years by finishing with a 26-10-8 record. Facing the Boston Bruins in the semifinals the Canadiens win a hard fought 5-game series taking the decisive 5th game in overtime by a score of 3-2. In the Finals the Canadiens would overcome 2 overtime losses by winning Games 4 and 5 to take their 2nd straight Stanley Cup against the Chicago Blackhawks.

1931/32: Seeking their 3rd straight Stanley Cup Championship the Canadiens finish with the best record in the NHL at 25-16-7 as Howie Mornez wins his 3rd Hart Trophy. However, the Canadiens quest for the cup would come to a sudden end in the semifinals losing 3 straight to the New York Rangers after capturing Game 1.

1932/33: Despite struggling to finish in 3rd place with an 18-25-5 record the Canadiens still make the playoffs. However in a Total Goal Series in the first round the Habs are thrashed 8-5 by the New York Rangers.

1933/34: The Canadiens continue to be a perennial playoff contender by finishing in 2nd place with a 22-20-6 record. However, for the second year in a row the Habs are bounced out quickly losing to the Chicago Blackhawks in a Total Goal Series by a score of 4-3.

1934/35: Despite a disappointing 19-23-6 the Canadiens still make the playoffs by finishing in 3rd place in the Canadian Division. However for the 3rd year in a row the Canadiens are bounced in the first round losing to the New York Rangers in a Total Goal Series 5-4.

1935/36: The Canadiens streak of 10 straight playoff appearances comes to an end as they finish with a league worse 11-26-11 record.

1936/37: Tragedy strikes the Canadiens again as star center Howie Morenz dies of complications from a broken leg suffered against the Chicago Blackhawks on January 28th. Despite the tragedy the Canadiens would finish in first place with a 24-18-6 record. However in the playoffs the Canadiens would lose a 5-game series in heartbreaking fashion losing Game 5 to the Detroit Red Wings in overtime by a score of 2-1.

1937/38: Prior to the start of the season the Canadiens and Maroons play a benefit all-star game against the rest of the NHL for Howie Morenz's family. The season would mark the last time the Canadiens would have to share the Forum as the Maroons folded following the season. After an 18-17-13 record the Canadiens lose in a first round series to the Chicago Blackhawks dropping the decisive3rd game in overtime by a score of 3-2.

1938/39: Despite an awful 15-24-9 record the Canadiens still make the playoffs by avoiding last place in the now 7-team NHL. In the playoffs the Canadiens would fall again in the first round losing a decisive 3rd game in overtime 1-0 to the Detroit Red Wings.

1939/40: The Canadiens hit rock bottom finishing in last place with a franchise worse 10-33-5 record.

1940/41: The Canadiens continue to struggle but make the playoffs by finishing in 6th place with a 16-26-6 record. In the playoffs the Habs would be bounced in the first round again losing to the Chicago Blackhawks in 3 games.

1941/42: The Canadiens sneak into the playoffs again finishing in 6th place with an 18-27-3 record. In the playoffs again the Canadiens would be bounced in the first round again losing to the Detroit Red Wings in 3 games.

1942/43: With the league reduced to 6 teams the Canadiens have to finish in 4th place to qualify for the NHL's final playoff spot for the 4th time in 5 years with a 19-19-12 record, holding off the Chicago Blackhawks by 1 point. In the playoffs the Canadiens would be bounced quickly again losing top the Boston Bruins 4 games to 1.

1943/44: After struggling with mediocrity for the better part of a decade the Canadiens reestablish themselves as one of the NHL's elite teams by crushing the rest of the competition on the way to an impressive league best 38-5-78 record. In the playoffs the Habs stayed red-hot blowing away the Toronto Maple Leafs in 5 games outscoring them over the final 4 games by a score of 22-3. In the Finals the Canadiens would sweep away the Chicago Blackhawks in 4 straight as Maurice Richard netted 5 goals including a Game 2 Hat trick. In the Game 4 finale the Habs won in sudden death overtime on Toe Blake's goal. Helping to keep the game tied was Vezina winning goalie Bill Durnan who stopped the first penalty shot in Finals history.

1944/45: The Canadiens looked like a strong bet for repeating as Stanley Cup Champions as they finished as regular season Champions again with a 38-8-4 record, as Maurice Richard becomes the first player to score 50 goals in a single season, netting the mark in a 50-game season. However, in the playoffs the Habs would be stunned in 6 games by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

1945/46: The Canadiens capture their 3rd straight regular season title with a 28-17-5 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would catch fire outscoring the Chicago Blackhawks 26-7 in a 4-game sweep. In the Finals the Canadiens would get off to a fast start winning the first 2 games on the Boston Bruins in overtime, on the way to a 3-0 series lead. After dropping Game 4 in overtime, the Habs would put the Bruins with a 6-3 win in Game 5 for their 6th Stanley Cup Championship.

1946/47: With Goalie Bill Durnan winning his 4th straight Vezina Trophy the Canadiens finish in first place again with a 34-16-10 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would blast the Boston Bruins in 5 games for the 3rd Final Appearance in 4 years. However, in the finals the Habs Stanley Cup reign would come to an end as they are beaten by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 6 games.

1947/48: With Toe Blake suffering a career ending leg injury the Canadiens endure a season of injuries missing the playoffs by finishing in 5th place with a 20-29-11 record.

1948/49: The Canadiens rebound off their injury plagued season to finish in 3rd place with a 28-23-9 record, as Bill Durnan wins his 5th Vezina Trophy in 6 years. However, in the playoffs the Canadiens would lose a hard fought 7-game battle to the Detroit Red Wings.

1949/50: The Canadiens finish in 2nd place with a solid 29-22-19 record playing in the Montreal Forum, which underwent a $600,000 renovation to expand capacity to 13,551 seats. Playing in his final season Goalie Bill Durnan wins his 6th Vezina Trophy. The playoffs would end quickly for the Habs as they are tripped up by the New York Rangers in 5 games.

1950/51: Despite a mediocre 25-30-15 record the Canadiens make the playoffs by finishing in 3rd place. In the playoffs the Canadiens would play their best hockey of the season knocking off the Detroit Red Wings in 6 games for a trip to the finals. The finals would be unforgettable battle against the Toronto Maple Leafs as all 5 games went to overtime. However, the Maple Leafs would emerge victorious in 4 of the games to claim the Stanley Cup.

1951/52: The Canadiens put together a solid season finishing in 2nd place with a 34-26-10 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would rally forcing Game 7 with a 3-2 win in overtime of Game 6. Building off the momentum the Habs would capture Game 7 by a score 3-1 to advance to their 2nd straight Final. However, in the finals the Canadiens are swept away by the Detroit Red Wings losing all 4 games by a combined score of 11-2.

1952/53: With Jacques Plante making his NHL debut the Canadiens finish in 2nd place with a record of 28-23-19. In the playoffs the Canadiens would overcome a devastating home loss in Game 5, to beat the Chicago Blackhawks in 7 games for their 2nd straight trip to the finals. After splitting the first 2 games of the finals with the Boston Bruins, Coach Dick Irvin replaces Plante in goal with backup Gerry McNeil. McNeil would make Irvin look like a genius, as he shutout the Bruins twice in the finals 3 games as the Canadiens won their 7th Stanley Cup with a 5 game series victory. Netting the cup-winning goal was Elmer Lach who broke a scoreless tie 1:22 into overtime.

1953/54: The Canadiens finish in 2nd place again posting a solid 35-24-14 record, as Jean Beliveau plays in his first full season. In the playoffs the Canadiens would breeze through the semifinals sweeping the Boston Bruins in 4 straight with a combined score of 16-4. In the finals the Habs overcame a 3-1 deficit to force a decisive 7th game. However the Habs dreams or repeating was ended by a 2-1 loss in overtime.

1954/55: Battling the Detroit Red Wings again for first place the Canadiens playoff chances take a blow when star Winger Maurice Richard is suspended for the playoffs after striking an NHL linesman. After Richard's suspension was announced the city of Montreal was thrown in to a destructive riot, as fans protesting the ruling got unruly. Without Richard in the final 2 games the Habs settle for 2nd place with a 41-18-11 record. In the semifinals the Habs did not seemed to miss the Rocket that much as they knocked off the Boston Bruins in 5 games. However, in the finals the absence of Richard caught up to them as they fell to the Detroit Red Wings in a hard fought 7-game series.

1955/56: With Toe Blake taking over the coaching reigns the Canadiens put together their first 100-point season finishing in first place with a 45-15-10 record, as Jacques Plante wins his first Vezina Trophy. In the playoffs the Hobs would turn it up a notch easily beating the New York Rangers in 5 games for their 6th straight Finals appearance. The Finals would end up becoming the Jean Beliveau show as the Canadiens star center scored 7 times as the Canadiens finally solved the Detroit Red Wings in 5 games. It was the Canadiens 8th Stanley Cup as they passed the Toronto Maple Leafs for most sips from Lord Stanley's Holy Grail.

1956/57: Coming off their Stanley Cup Championship the Canadiens finish in 2nd place with a solid 35-23-12 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens remained a super power beating the New York Rangers in 5 games. Facing the Boston Bruins in the finals the Canadiens received a boost right away as Maurice Richard netted 4 goals in Game 1, as the Habs jumped out to a 3-0 series lead. After being shutout in Game 4 the Canadiens buried the Bruins with a 5-1 in Game 5 for their 2nd straight Stanley Cup Championship.

1957/58: The Canadiens seeking their 3rdd straight Stanley Cup the Canadiens capture the regular season championship with a record of 43-17-10. In the playoffs the Habs remained hot as they swept the Detroit Red Wings in 4 games. Moving on to their 8th straight Finals appearance the Canadiens led by Maurice Richard win their 3rd straight Stanley Cup by beating the Boston Bruins in 6 games.

1958/59: The Canadiens remain the class of the NHL winning the regular season championship again with a record of 39-18-13. In the playoffs the Habs work past a stiff challenge to beat the Chicago Blackhawks in 6 games for their 9th finals appearance in a row. In the finals the Canadiens would win their 4th straight Stanley Cup despite Maurice Richard being held scoreless as they beat the Toronto Maple Leafs in 5 games.

1959/60: After breaking his nose Jacques Plante becomes the first goalie to wear a facemask in an NHL game on November 1st. With the mask in hand Plante would go on to win his 5th straight Vezina Trophy as the Canadiens finished with a league best 40-18-2 record. The Canadiens would sweep through the Chicago Blackhawks and Toto Maple Leafs on the way to their record 5th straight Stanley Cup. In the Finals Plante allowed just 5 goals in 4 games as Maurice Richard ended his career by netting his recorded 34th finals goal.

1960/61: With Boom Boom Geoffrion winning the Hart trophy by scoring 50 goals the Canadiens overcome the retirement of Maurice Richard by finishing with a league best 41-19-10. However, in the playoffs the Habs would be stunned in 6 games by the Chicago Blackhawks as their reign of % Stanley Cups and 10 Finals appearances comes to an end.

1961/62: The Canadiens continue to be the top team in the league winning the regular season championship with a record of 42-14-14. However, for the second straight season the Habs season is ended in the semifinals by the Chicago Blackhawks in 6 games.

1962/63: The Canadiens string of 5 straight regular season championships comes to an end as they finish in 3rd place with a record of 28-19-23. However, in the semifinals the Canadiens lose tough 7-game series to the Toronto Maple Leafs scoring just 1 goal in the final 2 games.

1963/64: The Canadiens recapture the regular season championship edging the Chicago Blackhawks by 1 point with a record of 36-21-13. However, in the playoffs the Habs are beaten in the semifinals by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 5 games.

1964/65: The Canadiens make the playoffs for the 23rd time in 24 years including15 straight years by finishing in 2nd place with a 36-23-11 record. In the playoffs the Habs would end the Toronto Maple Leafs reign of 3 straight Stanley Cups by beating them in 6 games of the semifinals. Moving on to the Finals the Habs would knock off the Chicago Blackhawks in 7 games as the home team won every game. Staring for the Canadiens who won their 13th Stanley Cup was Goalie Gump Worsley who recorded 2 shutouts and Jean Beliveau who won the first ever Conn Smythe Trophy for playoff MVP.

1965/66: The Canadiens dominate the NHL again winning the regular season championship with a 41-21-8 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would make the Finals again by sweeping away the Toronto Maple Leafs. In the Finals the Canadiens would drop the first 2 games at home to Detroit Red Wings before rebounding to win 4 straight for their 2nd straight Stanley Cup Championship. Netting the cup-clinching goal was Henri Richard who beat Conn Smythe Winner Roger Crozier in overtime of Game 6.

1966/67: In the final season before expansion the Canadiens make the playoffs again by finishing in 2nd place with a 32-25-13 record. After sweeping the New York Rangers in the semifinals the Canadiens are beaten by a veteran Toronto Maple Leafs team in 6 games.

1967/68: The era of expansion arrives for the NHL but the Montreal Canadiens remain at the top of the heap winning the Eastern Division with a league best 42-22-10 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens get past the first round easily sweeping the Boston Bruins in 4 straight. Moving on to the Eastern Conference Finals the Habs stayed hot beating the Chicago Blackhawks in 5 games. Moving on to the finals the Canadiens played the expansion St. Louis Blues in the Stanley Cup Finals. The Blues had a roster of proven Stanley Cup competitors including former habs Doug Harvey. Although the Canadiens would win their 15th Stanley Cup in a sweep all 4 games were decided by 1 goal including 2 in overtime. Following the playoffs Coach Toe Blake who won 9 Stanley Cups since taking over the reigns as coach retired after 13 years behind the Habs bench.

1968/69: The Montreal Forum is rededicated as he led arena completes massive renovations coasting $9.5 million that added seats improved sight lines, and modernized the whole arena. Under new coach Claude Ruel the Habs had a mod look too finishing with best record overall again at 46-19-11. In the playoffs the Canadiens remained hot sweeping the New York Rangers in 4 straight. In the Eastern Conference Finals the Habs used 3-overtime wins to catapult them over the Boston Bruins in 6 games. In the Finals the Canadiens would sweep the St. Louis Blue for the 2nd year in a row outscoring them 12-3 as Serge Savard won the Conn Smythe Award.

1969/70: Despite posting a 38-22-16 record that was 6 points better then the 1st place team in the Western Conference full of 3rd year teams the Canadiens miss the playoffs by finishing in 5th place with all the established teams. It is the first time the Habs miss the playoffs in 22 years and just the 2nd time in 29.

1970/71: After missing the playoffs the Canadiens would get off to a slow start as Coach Claude Ruel resigns as is replaced by Al MacNeil. Under Mac Neil the Habs would play much better and would finish in 3rd place with a solid 42-23-13 record. Heading into the playoffs the Canadiens would make a change in net starting Ken Dryden despite only 6 regular season starts. Despite a shaky start Dryden hung tough in the first round as the Canadiens overcame a 302 deficit to dethrone the defending Champion Boston Bruins in 7 games. In the semifinals the Dryden started to get comfortable as the Habs beat the Minnesota North Stars in 6 games. Moving on to the Finals the Habs found themselves with their backs to the wall again trailing the Chicago Blackhawks 3 games to 2. Fuelled by the Mahovlich brothers Frank and Peter the Canadiens forced a 7th game in Chicago. Once again things looked bleak for the Habs in Game 7 as they fell behind 2-0. However, the Habs would rally as Henri Richard scored the tying and winning goals as the Canadiens won their 17th Stanley Cup. Ken Dryden who had an impressive playoff GAA of 3.00 was named Conn Smythe winner. Following the season Jean Beliveau would announce his retirement to take a job in the front office. Despite their Stanley Cup victory Coach Al MacNeil would not be kept on as the Canadiens named Scotty Bowman their new coach.

1971/72: Guy LaFleur becomes an instant fan favorite in his rookie season as the Canadiens finish in 3rd place with a solid 46-16-16 record. However, in the playoffs the Habs would lose in the first round to the New York Rangers in 6 games.

1972/73: The Canadiens dominate the NHL all season losing just 10 games on the way to an NHL best 120 points with a 52-10-16 record, as Ken Dryden continues a Canadiens tradition by becoming the 6th different Canadiens goalie to win the Vezina, and the 19th overall. In the playoffs the Habs started quickly taking a 3-0 series lead over the Buffalo Sabres before advancing in 6 games. In the semifinals The Canadiens overcame a heartbreaking Game 1 loss in overtime to beat the Philadelphia Flyers in 5 games. In the finals the Canadiens could not be stopped as they won their 18th Stanley Cup by beating the Chicago Blackhawks in 6 games, as Yvan Cournoyer won the Conn Smythe by setting a record with 15 goals in the playoffs.

1973/74: The Canadiens are hurt by a season long hold out by Ken Dryden, falling to 2nd Place with a 45-24-9 record. However, they would not feel the full effect until the playoffs when they are beaten by the New York Rangers in 6 games.

1974/75: Ken Dryden returns as the Canadiens win the newly established Norris Division with an impressive 47-14-19 record. After earning a first round by the Canadiens take out the Vancouver Canucks in 5 games to advance to the Wales Conference Finals. However in the Wales Final the Habs would fall in 6 games to the Buffalo Sabres, as Henri Richard's career came to an end.

1975/76: The Canadiens rip through the NHL regular season finishing with best overall record and incredible 127 points with a 58-11-11 record. After a first round bye the Canadiens continued to dominate sweeping the Chicago Blackhawks in 4 straight. Moving on to the Wales Final the Habs won their first 3 games on the way to dispatching the New York Islanders in 5 games. In the Finals the Canadiens continued their dominant ways sweeping the Philadelphia Flyers in 4 straight. Despite the Habs dominance no one player could be singled out for the Conn Smythe as Flyers Reggie Leach took home the award.

1976/77: The Canadiens set new records in dominance as Steve Shutt scored 60 goals setting a record for Left Wingers. Helping to set Shutt up is Guy LaFleur who wins the Hart Trophy by amassing 1936 points a new franchise record. Along with LaFleur the Goalie combo of Ken Dryden and Bunny Larocque won the Vezina, as Larry Robinson took home the Norris during an incredible all-time NHL best record of 60-8-12 with an incredible 132 points. In the playoffs the Canadiens crushed the St. Louis Blues in 4 straights outscoring them 19-3 to advance to the Wales Final. In the Wales Final the Canadiens would fight off a challenge form the New York Islanders in 6 games. In the finals the Habs would easily beat the Boston Bruins in 4 straight as Guy LaFleur was named Conn Smythe. The victory gave the Canadiens their 2nd straight Stanley Cup Championship and their 20th overall, 7 more then the 2nd best.

1977/78: The Canadiens dominance continues as the only fall off slightly from their record setting year taking the best record again at 59-10-11, with 127 points. In the playoffs the Canadiens would continue to be untouchable as they clipped the Detroit Red Wings in 5 games. Moving n to the Semi-Finals the Habs would sweep away the Toronto Maple Leafs in 4 straight outscoring them 16-6. In the Finals the Habs would suffer 2 straight losses as the Boston Bruins evened the series 2 games apiece. However, there would be no denying the Habs their 3rd straight Stanley Cup as the won the next 2 games by identical 4-1 scores as star defenseman Larry Robinson won the Conn Smythe trophy by setting up 17 Canadiens goals.

1978/79: The Canadiens continue to be one pf the top team in the NHL winning the Norris Division with a solid 52-17-11 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would be quickly mulch up the Toronto Maple Leafs in 4 games. Moving on to the Semi-Finals the Canadiens would be challenged for the first time in 4 years as they were pushed to a 7th game by the Boston Bruins. In Game 7 the Habs would advance to the finals with win a 5-4 win n overtime. In the finals the Canadiens would fall behind early losing Game 1 to the New York Rangers 4-1. However the Habs quickly grabbed back momentum with a 6-2 win in Game 2 on the way to winning their 4th straight Stanley Cup in 5 games. Bob Gainey the league's premier 2-way forward would earn the Conn Smythe award. Following the season the Ken Dryden, Jacques Lemaire and Yvan Cournoyer all announce their retirements, as Scotty Bowman resigns as head coach.

1979/80: Despite the retirement of several key players the Canadiens still won the Norris Division while amassing 107 points with a 47-20-13 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would easily beat the Hartford Whalers sweeping them in 3 straight. However their reign would come to an end in the 2nd round as they are stunned by the Minnesota North Stars in 7 games.

1980/81: The Canadiens win their 7th straight Division title with a 45-22-13 record. However in the first round they would be stunned by an up and coming Edmonton Oilers team led by Wayne Gretzky who swept them in 3 straight.

1981/82: With realignment the Canadiens are shifted to the Adams Division once again finishing in first place with a solid 46-17-17 record. In the Adams Division Playoffs the Habs would face the Provincial Rival the Quebec Nordiques. In battle of David versus goliath the Nordiques would stun the Habs with a dramatic 3-2 win overtime of Game 5.

1982/83: The Canadiens string of 8 straight Division titles comes to an end as they settle for 2nd place with a 42-24-14 record. In the playoffs the Habs would be sent home early as they are swept by the Buffalo Sabres in 3 straight.

1983/84: Despite suffering their first losing season in 33 years the Canadiens still make the playoffs by finishing in 4th place with a 35-40-5 record. However, in the playoffs the Canadiens would play their best hockey of the season as they swept the 1st place Boston Bruins in 3 straight outscoring the 10-2. Moving on to the Adams Division Finals the Habs would stay hot as they beat the Quebec Nordiques in 6 games. In the Wales Conference Finals the Habs would continue to roll as they took the first 2 games against the New York Islanders. However, the Canadiens run would stall as they lost the next 4 games.

1984/85: The Canadiens celebrate their 75th anniversary by announcing their all-time team, while Guy LaFleur the team's all-time leading scorer retires on November 26th. Despite the loss of LaFleur the Canadiens would go on to win the Adams Division title with a 41-27-12 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would beat the Boston Bruins in a hard fought 5-game series. However, in the Adams Division Finals the Habs would be stunned by the Quebec Nordiques in 7 games losing 3 games including the decisive 7th game in overtime.

1985/86: With 20-year old Goalie Patrick Roy playing in his first full season the Canadiens finish in 2nd place with a 40-33-7 record. In the playoffs Roy would start making a name for himself as he held the Boston Bruins to 6 goals as the y Habs swept their old rivals in 3 straight. Moving on the Adams Division Finals Roy was the backbone as the Canadiens fought off the Hartford Whalers in 7 games, allowing 1 or fewer goals in 5 out of the 7 games. The Canadiens would go on to make their first finals appearance in 7 years by beating the New York Rangers in 5 games. In the finals the Canadiens would be matched up against the Calgary Flames in the first all-Canadian final in 19 years. The Flames would get off to a fast start winning 5-2 in Game 1. However, the Habs would rally to take Game 2 in overtime and would go on to douse the Flames in 5 games claiming their 23rd Stanley Cup setting a professional team sports record for most championships. Patrick Roy who had a 1.92 GAA would go on to become the youngest player ever to win the Conn Smythe at the age of 20.

1986/87: Coming off their record 23rd Stanley Cup the Canadiens finish in 2nd place with a solid 41-29-10 record. In the playoffs the Habs would easily knock off the Boston Bruins sweeping them in 4 straight scoring 19 goals in the process. Moving on to the Adams Division Finals the Canadiens would hold off the Quebec Nordiques in 7 games to advance to the Wales Final. However, in the Wales Final the Canadiens would fall to the Philadelphia Flyers in 6 games.

1987/88: The Canadiens continue to be one of the premier teams in the NHL winning the Adams Division with a solid 45-22-13 record. In the playoffs the Habs would capsize the Hartford Whalers in 6 games. However, in the Adams Division Final the Canadiens would be stunned by the Boston Bruins in 5 games losing 4 straight after taking Game 1.

1988/89: Patrick Roy continues a Canadiens tradition as he captures his first Vezina Trophy becoming the 8th different Habs goalie to win the award and 25th overall. After winning the Adams Division with a 53-18-9 record the Canadiens would sweep the Hartford Whalers in the first round. In the Adams Division Final the Habs would beat the Boston Bruins in 5 games avenge their previous season's defeat. Moving on the Wales Final the Habs would get revenge for 1987 by beating the Philadelphia Flyers in 6 games. However, in a rematch of the 1986 Finals the Habs would be torched by the Calgary Flames in 6 games.

1989/90: Despite the departure of Bob Gainey and Larry Robinson the Canadiens remain one of the top teams in the NHL as they finish in 3rd place with a solid 41-28-11 record. In the playoffs the Habs would knock off the Buffalo Sabres in 6 games. However, facing the Boston Bruins for the 3rd year in a row in the Admass Division Finals the Habs would be knocked off in 5 games.

1990/91: The Canadiens continue to be one of the strongest teams in the NHL finishing in 2nd place with a 39-30-11 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would knock off the Buffalo Sabres in 6 games during a high scoring s4eries that saw the Canadiens score 27 goals. However, in the Adams Division Finals the Habs would be eliminated by The Boston Bruins in a dramatic 7-game series.

1991/92: The NHL celebrated its 75th Anniversary as the Canadiens rose to the top of the Adams Division again with a 41-28-11 record. However in the playoffs the Habs would have trouble with Hartford Whalers who were one of the worst teams during the regular season but made the playoffs by finishing in 4th place. In the end the Canadiens would survive as they took Game 7 in overtime. However, in the Adams Division Finals the Habs would not be as lucky as they were swept by the Boston Bruins in 4 straight.

1992/93: In a season in which the hockey celebrated the 100th Anniversary of the dedication of the Stanley Cup the Canadiens put together another solid season with a 48-30-6 record. In the first round the Canadiens would get off to a slow start losing the first 2 games to the Quebec Nordiques, including an overtime loss in Game 1. As the series shifted to Montreal the Canadiens captured an overtime win of their own as they went on to win 4 straight to advance to the next round. In the Adams Division Finals the Canadiens stayed on a roll beating the Buffalo Sabres in 4 straight. However, it was not as easy as it seemed, as the Habs needed 3 overtime wins. Moving on to the Wales Conference Finals the Canadiens were paying their best hockey of the season winning 8 straight including 5 in overtime. In the Wales Conference Final the Habs continued to work overtime as they beat the New York Islanders in 5 games including 2 more overtime wins. Facing the Los Angeles Kings led by Wayne Gretzky in the Finals the Canadiens desperately needed to change the momentum as hey railed Game 2 at the Forum 2-1, as they faced a 0-2 deficit. Coach Jacques Demers decided to challenge the stick used by Kings Enforcer Marty MacSorley. His instinct were proven right as the curve was determined to be illegal setting up the Habs on the power play. The Canadiens would go onto tie the game forcing overtime where they won their record 8th straight playoff OT game. As the series shifted to Los Angeles the Habs continued their overtime magic taking 2 more games in extra time to establish a 3-1 series lead heading home. In Game 5 the Habs would not need overtime as Eric Desjardins record a hat trick in the Canadiens 4-1 win. The win gave the Canadiens their 24th Stanley Cup Championship, by far the most in the silver chalet's 100-yearhistory. Earning Conn Smythe honors for the 2nd time was Goalie Patrick Roy, who has a 2.13 GAA.

1993/94: The Canadiens remain an NHL force as they finish in 3rd place in the newly renamed Northeast Division with a solid 41-29-14 record. However in the first round the Canadiens have a 3-2 series lead slip through their fingers as they are beaten by the Boston Bruins in 7 games.

1994/95: In a season cut in half by a 4-month lockout the Canadiens miss the playoffs for the first time in 25 years, and just the 3rd time 55 years with a disappointing 18-23-7 record.

1995/96: The Canadiens would get off to a slow start as Coach Jacques Demers is fired. New Coach Mario Tremblay instantly found himself embroiled in controversy as he refused to pull goalie Patrick Roy in a blowout loss to the Detroit Red Wings at the Forum. It would end up being Roy's final game as a Canadian as he is traded to the Colorado Avalanche just days later. However, after the deal the Canadiens played strong hockey with Jocelyn Thibault in the nets. March 11th would see another era end in Montreal as the Canadiens beat the Dallas Stars 4-1 in the final game at the Montreal Forum. Following the game a touching ceremony had al the Canadiens living captains on the ice passing the torch to each other. Five days later the torch was carried to the Molson Centre where they beat the New York Rangers in their first game at their new home. The Canadiens would go on to finish in 3rd place with a solid 40-32-10 record. In the playoffs they Habs would get off to a fast start as they won 2 straight over the Rangers in New York. However, the ghost of the Forum did not move with them as the Rangers rebounded to win the next 4 including 4 at the Canadiens new sate of the art arena. However, what must have been more painful to Canadiens management was that the Colorado Avalanche won the Stanley Cup led by goalie Patrick Roy.

1996/97: Despite a mediocre 31-36-15 record the Canadiens make the playoffs as the 8th seed holding off the Hartford Whalers by 2 points. However the Canadiens would be eliminated quickly in the playoffs as they are beaten by the New Jersey Devils led by Coach Jacques Lemaire in 5 games. Following the season controversial Coach Mario Termblay would be fired and replaced by Alain Vigneault.

1997/98: With new coach Alain Vigneault the Canadiens get back into the playoffs by finishing in 4th place with a 37-32-13 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would show signs of brilliance as they stunned the 2nd seeded Pittsburgh Penguins in 6 games. However, all the energy the Habs had was gone as they were swept by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2nd round.

1998/99: The Canadiens finish in last place for the first time in 59 years missing the playoffs with a disappointing 32-39-11 record.

1999/00: The Canadiens get off to another slow start as Michel Therrien takes over as Coach less then 2 months into the season. Under Therrien the Habs would play much better, but would miss the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row with a 35-38-9-4 record. For the Canadiens it was the first time since 1922 that they missed the postseason 2 years in a row.

2000/01: The Canadiens struggle continues as they miss the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row just the 2nd time since the formation of the NHL that they missed the playoffs 3 consecutive season. While the Canadiens were finishing in last place with a 28-40-8-6 record, change was being made at the top as the franchise is purchased by George N. Gillett Jr.

2001/02: Before the season started the Canadiens were dealt a blow when Captain Saku Koivu announced he had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a deadly form of cancer in his abdomen. While Koivu underwent extensive chemotherapy, goalie Jose Theodore kept the Canadiens in the playoff chase. The chemo treatments worked as the cancer in Koivu's stomach was beaten into remission. As the season was winding down Koivu decided he wanted to make a comeback, while he began working out with the team, the inspired Canadiens got hot and climbed up the standing and into the 8th and final playoff spot. On the same day April 9th that Koivu made his return with a 7-minute standing Ovation at the Molson Center the Canadiens beat the Ottawa Senators in overtime to clinch a playoff berth. In the playoffs the Habs remained hot as they planted top seeded Boston Bruins in 6 games. In the 2nd round the Habs were looking strong again as they led the Carolina Hurricanes in Game by 3 goals entering the 3rd period with a chance to take a 3-1 series lead. However the Hurricanes would storm back to take the game in overtime, and would go on to win the series in 6 games. However, despite the late struggles the Canadiens became contenders again posting a 36-31-12-3 record, ending a string of 3 straight losing seasons while Goalie Jose Theodore became the 28th Canadiens Goalie to win the Vezina Trophy. In addition he would receive the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP for keeping the Canadiens alive in the playoff chase.

2002/03: Coming off a year in which he won both the Vezina and Hart Trophy Jose Theodore came into camp out of shape and it would show in his play as he struggled all season as the Canadiens played mediocre hockey. The Habs lackluster play would even cost Coach Michel Therian his job as he was replaced in the middle of the season by Claude Julien. However the Habs would not play any better as they missed the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years with a record of 30-35-8-9. Following the season the Canadiens would hire former Captain Bob Gainey as their new General Manager with the hopes of bringing creditability back to the organization.

2003/04: The Canadiens would begin the Gainey era with a slow start as they played mediocre hockey for the first 3 months. One early highlight came on November 22nd when the Canadiens played the Edmonton Oilers at Edmonton's Commonwealth stadium in the first outdoor game in NHL history. The Canadiens would steal the show winning 4-3 before a record 57,167 fans. As January started as they won 7 of their first 9 in the New Year. Hoping to add scoring the Canadiens acquired Alexei Kovalev from the New York Rangers just before the trade deadline. Kovalev would struggle to adjust to his new surroundings but the Canadiens would not, making the playoffs with a 41-30-7-4 record. Leading the way for the Canadiens was Mike Ribeiro and Rookie Michael Ryder who each topped 60 points. In the playoffs the Habs would get off to a slow start falling behind the Boston Bruins 3 games to 1. However, suddenly the Canadiens would come alive as Jose Theodore made 43 saves in a 5-2 win in Game 5. The Habs would stay hot in Game 6 winning 5-1 to force a 7th game, where Theodore was the hero again stopping all 26 shots as the Canadiens broke a 0-0 tie with 2 goals in the 3rd period by Richard Zednik. However, in the second round the Canadiens would run into a buzz saw as they were swept in 4 straight by the eventual Stanley Cup Champion Tamp Bay Lightning.

2004/05: Season Cancelled Due to Lock Out

Logo

1961-Present

96th Season

First Game Played January 5, 1910*

*-Played in NHA 1910-1917

Click here for pictures of

the Montreal Canadiens

:blink:

1909/10: On December 4th, the Canadiens are founded by J. Ambrose O'Brien, a sportsman from Ottawa, with financial support from another magnate of the time, T.C. Hare. The latter providing the $1,000 required for the formation of a team as well as the $5,000 to guarantee the players' salaries. Playing in newly formed National Hockey Association, the Canadiens take the ice for the first time on January 5th beating the Cobalt Silver Kings 7-6 in overtime before 3,000 spectators at Jubilee Rink. There was not much success that year for the Canadiens as they finished with a woeful record of 2-10.

:blink:

So where did you cut and paste that from? lol Just because you cut and paste things doesn't mean you know anything about them.

Edited by kaos

I don't think we should be bashing each other...

We're here as habs fans, that's what counts. Let's not question each other's loyalty and their dedication / knowledge of the team and its history.

Let's cheer on the Habs, laugh at the Leafs, and leave it at that.

Go habs go!

I don't think we should be bashing each other...

We're here as habs fans, that's what counts. Let's not question each other's loyalty and their dedication / knowledge of the team and its history.

Let's cheer on the Habs, laugh at the Leafs, and leave it at that.

Go habs go!

Absolutley. But easier said than done with some people on here. I actually don't mind a little bashing as long as you give your own opinion so somebody can bash you back. Don't just say somebodies comments are stupid or bad without giving your own. Thats pretty weak.

But your right we should be mostly cheering on the Habs here.

Good God...the reasons I hate the leafs...pretty similar to some others on here but here goes anyways:

1) The bloody media: Living in Ontario for the last 5 years, it has been so frustrating hearing all the crap being put out there. More frustrating is the fact that some days they would rather show highlights of a crappy leafs 9-0 loss than show a successful habs win. I hated living in Kingston having to listen to the games through CJAD online while looking at the NHL Official Scoresheet to get a feeling of catching the game!!

2)The fans...including my friends. Despite the dismal recent past of leafs, all leafs fans REFUSE to accept that montreal is the more successful team. I remember cathcing playoff commentators last year totally ignoring the fact that the last Canadian team to win the cup was Montreal. There is no argument on this planet that could be made to place the leafs above the Habs in terms of quality...yet they continue to try.

3) The leafs organization...probably one of the cockiest, most overrated organization in NHL history. John Ferg. Jr. is probably the biggest numbty to ever grace a front office.

4) I may be under 30, but I know my history....thats enough for me!

Hope this help your sociological study of leaf haters...

I don't mind the LEafs now that Unibrow is on Ties Stupid Network. Sundin is a good player and Wellwood looks like he will work out nicely for them.

I HATE Toronto media, Toronto fans and the fact that Toronto is home of the STUPID LEAF FAN. You know the type with no explanation required.