Why Do You Hate The Leafs?

classical

So where did you cut and paste that from? lol Just because you cut and paste things doesn't mean you know anything about them.

Can't get one by you!!!!!!

You are one smart little fella. It was a joke just like everything you have been saying so far.

Leaf Lover!!!!!

Before you get all hot again........I am simply kidding around.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their fans are dumb.

The media caters to those fans with 10X longer coverage.(does anyone care what Wade Belak thinks?)

The organization only tries to spend enough to be competitive...the fans are happy if they just "make" the playoffs(I guess they don't understand that 50% of teams make them...lol).

You get told off by ushers for being too loud at the ACC when you yell at Leaf players...lmao.

I'm 25, and my hatred for the Leafs has pretty much only surfaced in the last 5 years or so. This stems largely from the fact that the Leafs Fans in Kingston are arrogant, ignorant, and generally speaking, pretty rowdy and annoying drunks :D

I also hate the fact that tv coverage seems to benefit the Leafs, and I'm STILL angry about CBC not airing the Boom Boom ceremony.

I must admit, this yea, I don't hate the Leafs nearly as much. I dislike Raycoft, McCabe, and Tucker (Even more so after learning he supports Bush's ideas) However, I like Maurice, and the team he's put out this year merits respect thus far.

Nevertheless, I will always root against the leafs. It is my duty as a Habs fan.

:hlogo:

I'm 25, and my hatred for the Leafs has pretty much only surfaced in the last 5 years or so. This stems largely from the fact that the Leafs Fans in Kingston are arrogant, ignorant, and generally speaking, pretty rowdy and annoying drunks :D

Glad to see I wasn't the only habs fan in Kingston...you ever go any of the habs nights at the Brass? no?? thats because they never existed...boo Kingston!!

I didn't read through all the posts, but I've seen it posted about the press that always follows them.............

And most times it's a positive article, they (TSN, SPORTSNET etc...) always seem to put a positive spin on anything relating to the Leafs.

I remember Boom-Boom's # being retired (glad I have RDS) Since TSN, Sportsnet barely covered it. Yet when Domi played his 1000th game there was a big pregame ceremony, big deal.

Watch TSN and Sportsnet after the next Leafs game, if they win it's the top story for the day, if not it's not up there long, before it goes to the side for a new feature. (I find TSN especially bad for this).

I've always hated the Leafs, ever since I started cheering for the Habs, and I actually hate the fan mentality that there better then every other team, even they haven't won a cup since what 1967? Most of those fans weren't even born then.............

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:...ETC. I was going to add one for every cup we've one but it would be a real long/wide post.........

Take that Leaf fans :P

its a dirty lake and when you look out towards the lake gazing at it your technically gazing at America. Its not like Vancouver where you look out towards the straits and see Vancouver Island and further out Pacific Ocean. Here your just looking at the mistake by the lake. Especially at the top of the CN tower on a clear day. "oh look mommy I see Cleveland" :puke:

I just wanted to add one more thing about the Leafs being overhyped by the media.

Leafs fans and the media in general won't shut the hell up about the 1967 Leafs. Yes, I know, that was the year of Expo and the last year of the original six, and that team was interesting because they were all 100 years old. But what annoy me is that the Habs team they beat in the finals won the cup in 1965, 1966, 1968 and 1969. They came VERY close to winning the cup five years in a row. That Beliveau/Richard/Rousseau/Backstrom/Tremblay/Laperriere/Duff/Cournoyer/Worlsey/etc. team should be remembered as one of the best of all time, yet it is largely forgotten because of all the attention bestowed on the bloody '67 Leafs. It really makes me upset.

Not a big fan of Toronto in general. It has to do with family being from Cleveland. Lake Eerie is disgustingly dirty. So that makes Toronto just a town by a dirty lake.

Not to split hairs, but Toronto is on Lake Ontario, not Lake Erie.

Edited by option+

I hate the Leafs.

TSN makes me cringe. they are constantly forcing me to be critical of everything I watch. It reminds me of the US government' PR team.

Tucker is an easy guy to dislike.

McScabe is an easy guy to dislike.

Last year they had the Lindross/Belfour. Two guys easy to dislike.

Up untill recently, their style of hockey (Bordline cheating) with the holding and slashing goonery.

I have to watch and cheer against them 8 times a season.

For all those reasons, I dislike the Leafs.

Not to mention, everyone knows at least one really annoying Leaf fan that is always right and living in la-la land.

Why do I hate the Leafs?...the fans and the media plain and simple. I got nothing against them personally other than Darcy Tucker rubs me the wrong way but the fans and media acting like each season's version of the team is the greatest ever and they're a shoe in to win the cup... now that's fu@@in' irritating. I get nauseous listening to a leaf fan or some homer on tv spouting of about the leafs....HELLO...you haven't won the cup in 40 freaking years...get a reality check :lol::lol::lol:

Overall, I have nothing against the team. I honestly don't think there has been a Leafs-Habs rivalry since the 1960s. The late 1970s certainly do not count: we played 8 playoff games, and guess who won all all eight? Those Sittler-MacDonald-Palmateer teams never had a chance. That's not a rivalry, that's a one-sided ass-kicking. But I digress... since there hasn't been a rivalry for so long, I can't really say I hate the team. I dislike the Bruins and even a team like the Hurricanes much much more based on recently history.

That being said, "Leafs Nation" annoys me, in two ways:

1) Media hype: players like McCabe, Tucker, Domi etc. are completely overrated by the TO-centred media. I get sick of hearing how very average D-men like McCabe should win the Norris Trophy, about how Domi could score 25 goals if he got 15 minutes of ice time, about how Raycroft and Aubin are the most underrated goalie combo in the league... yawn. We hear so much rubbish about the Leafs in the media that it's impossible not to get annoyed.

2) Many Leafs fans are completely insufferable. Not all of them - some of my best friends are Leafs fans, and one will even throw a temper tantrum if you mention the name "Tom Kurvers" to him, which is hilarious - but a very vocal minority. They buy into the media hype and constantly tell you how awesome their team is. And they have a HUGE problem with the Habs and our history. They simply cannot accept that the Montreal Canadiens are the most succesful team in NHL history, and they try to dismiss that. I was at a party once in Toronto, and I met this one really obnoxious Leafs fan... once he found out I was a Habs fan, he wouldn't leave me alone. "You know you only won all those cups because you got all the French players, right?" (Universal entry draft began in 1967. Cups since then: Leafs 0; Habs 10) "You probably think Ken Dryden is a better goalie than Mike Palmateer!" (find me one person outside of Toronto who thinks Palmateer was better, and I'll be happy). "You probably think Jacques Plante is the best goalie ever. No, you probably think Patrick Roy was the greatest goalie ever!" (Who's better, Johnny Bower?) This went on all night. And I'm sure all of you know a Leafs fan like that, too.

Damn, but I have had that conversation... imagine I wear my gear (see my avatar) and live in the GTA... Many a coment, but too bad 'cause I stone'm all!!!

That clip, was it a real NHL game or was it a clip from Slapshot? I'm sure I saw Reggie Dunlop and Denis Lemieux in there somewhere.

Personally, I didn't really start feeling a very strong resentment towards the Leafs until last season. And it has a lot to do with what was mentioned in the initial post in the thread. Now, I can't make a long story short, my way is to do it the other way around, so if you don't want a short story made long, skip this entire post. ;)

When I first got the chance to see NHL hockey (late 1980's - early 1990's), Montreal and Toronto didn't even play in the same conference. Also, the tradition in Sweden is that the most attention that is paid to the NHL, true back then as it is now, is paid to Swedish players. And there is no denying that Mats Sundin has been one of the most successful Swedish NHL players during the time he's played in the league.

Back when I was first able to see NHL games on TV in Sweden, aside from having seen three or four games on Sveriges Television during the 1988/89 season (one of which was the final game of the Cup Finals between Montreal and Calgary), it was on a European sports channel called Eurosport. I remember seeing a game in the 1990/91 season, Denis Savard scored 2 goals in a game @ Pittsburgh. I also got to see games with the Bruins, the Rangers, the Caps, the Blues, well, I don't remember all of them. I do remember seeing Ulf Dahlén with that green North Stars jersey when they lost to Pittsburgh in the Cup finals.

I think Eurosport lost the broadcasting rights in Europe after that season. However, in time for the 1992/93 season a Swedish channel, today called Kanall 5, secured the rights. For three glorious seasons I saw several NHL games. Rarely live games, but NHL hockey nevertheless. I did however see all the Cup Finals games live when the Canadiens beat the Kings, an experience that will be with me forever. (Still have the 5th game on video tape, and I recently transfered it to a DVD.) It became a tradition of mine to watch the Cup finals, as it also became a tradition for Kanal 5 to broadcast the Finals games live.

However, Before the start of the 95/96 season a new sports channel emerged and bought the rights to NHL games. If I remember correctly the channel was called Supersport, or something like that. It was a cable channel that you had to pay extra for, basic cable wasn't enough, so for a long time I was robbed of seeing more than highlights on sports news and occasional re-runs of games on sports news and TV4. For a year of two (I think it was those two years when the Red Wings won the cup in 97 and 98) I saw they showed the re-runs of the finals games on TV4.

And it must have been around this time that Montreal and Toronto started playing in the same division. Even with this in mind, I still had no real reasons to dislike the Leafs. Quite the contrary, actually. I must admit that I really liked Gilmour, Sundin, Felix the Cat etc.

I think Supersport only lasted a season or two before being bought by a European channel called Canal +. During the 1999/00 season I moved out. Ironically for me, my parents started subscribing (is subscriging the correct term to use in this context?) to Canal + only weeks after I moved. I went there and watched a couple of the Cup Finals games live. The tragic thing is though that in the last game when the Stars won, in overtime if memory serves me right, it was extremely early in the morning Swedish time. I had stayed up all night, and at one time I just had to go to the can. I get back, and Brett Hull had scored the winning goal. While I was taking a leak. Aaaaaarrrrrgh!

Anyway, and I'll be getting to the point really soon, since then I haven't been able to see a lot of NHL games. I saw New Jersey win it in 2000, Bourque win the Cup with the Avs, but I have no memory of the Wings in 2002, and not of the Devils in 2003. I am pretty sure I didn't see the Lightning in '04.

But roughly a year ago I decided to start subscribing to Canal + myself, and since then I have seen probably 95 % of the games they've aired.

And, finally, this is when I really started to feel hate towards the Leafs. When I finally saw them in action I realized that everything I've heard about them was more than just biased Habs fans hatred. I used to like Sundin, but now I can hardly stand him. He used to be one of my favorite Swedish players, with everything he's done for our national team... but now... Yuck!. McCabe, Tucker, Belak, Wilm etc. What a bunch of whiney ass biatches. Seriously, how can you not hate a guy like Tucker? He loves to throw punches, checks and cheap shots, but he can't take them himself, instead he whines like a little girl (scratch that, little girls don't whine like that, I know from having coached girls teams in the noble sport of floorball) and his diving makes the most primadonna-ish Europeans just gawk in awe. Tie ######ing Domi. How can you not hate that?

And let's not forget about Quinn. What an S.O.B. Is it in his genes that he has to quiestion every single penelty his team gets, even those that are obvious enough for a ref blind as a bat to see?

So, to answer the question, that is why I hate the Leafs.

[/rant]

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I haven't liked the leafs in recent years because of their thuggish mentality fostered by their thuggish coach. But he is fired now and it seems that he has taken most of his thugisms with him.

Aside from that, I don't hate them for any reason. I want the Canadians to beat them, but I hate thugism, not the leafs.

Amen.

I don't really hate the leafs themselves (except for Tucker)

It's "Leaf Nation" and that little bit of extra arrogance i hate.

I think this thread should be merged with the existing thread on the Maple Leafs in the NHL forum:

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=8672

Seconded. Why is it that every team in the league had "Thank You Fans" written on the ice during the comeback of last season, but the ice in Toronto said "Thank You Leafs Fans"?

Arrogant stuck-up bastards.

Wow, thanks for your replies so far, everyone. I didn't realize there was a recent thread about the Leafs in the NHL forum since I rarely look in there--I'm more of a Habs fan than an NHL fan, after all. :)

I guess my hunch about why you younger guys hate the Leafs was correct--i.e., the obnoxiousness of Leafs fans out east. Plus, I'm all too familiar with the Toronto-centric media coverage, even though I'm in Vancouver. Like I said, I'm pretty isolated from all of that stuff out here, but I can relate to it at least a little.

I rarely ever hear about the Habs--it's all Canucks all the time, which is to be expected. There's also a good number of Habs haters out here, because they still remember when the Habs used to come here and kick the Canucks' butt. Plus, it seems as though half of the fans at the games were Habs fans (and this is still true), which was another irritant for Canucks fans. On top of all of this, my brother is a big-time Canucks fan and Habs hater. We've had our feuds over this and sometimes it got very personal (pretty silly when you think about it).

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad I don't live out east. :) On the downside, that means I've never seen a Habs home game and I never got to see the Habs play at the Forum. My friend, who used to live in Montreal and is a Habs fan, likes to tease me about not being a "real" Habs fan because I never lived in Montreal. I don't take it seriously, though--I just tell him that he's short and he's never going to be any taller. :lol:

I don't hate the leafs per se, but leaf fans DO play a key reason played a key role in my becomming a habs fan.

A few years ago I started watching hockey for the first time in my life (23 at the time). At first I cheered for the leafs, but I never really felt like other leaf fans accepted me. I wasn't a TRUE leaf fan unless I could talk about the defenseman with the most shots on net in the 1970s whose name started with S.

Habs fans on the other hand were willing to have anyone cheer for their team because it was so bad. And no one got hung up on my knowlege of the history even though Montreal had so much more to know.

That and I could only get the french CBC with the antenna on my TV and a habs fan was born.

It's just a classic rivalry on so many levels:

1 - Original six vs. original six

2 - Team with most Stanley Cups vs. Team with 2nd most Stanley Cups

3 - Ontario vs. Quebec.

4 - English vs. French

5 - Catholic vs. Protestant

6 - #1 Canadian metropolis vs. #2 Canadian metropolis

Apart from that, I would have to say that I am completely mystified by the Leaf fan. If MTL had gone that long without winning a cup, there wouldn't be a team in MTL. In other words, while MTL loathes mediochrity, TOR seems to blindly support it.

First and foremost, I hate their fans. Their fans are more often than not obnoxious, delusional, and downright insufferable. It's like an extention of what I find with many Torontonians in general: Torontonians think TO is the center of the universe, and Leafs fans think their team is the crown jewel of the NHL. This in spite of the facts before them: the Leafs haven't done anything worth mentioning since 1967, and the city has degenerated into a gun-crime-ridden cesspool on par with many major US cities. What's to brag about?!?!

My hate peaked during the whining 'crybaby regime' of Domi, Tucker, Corson, and Quinn. Toss in the dirty play of the above mentioned along with Green and Marchment, and my hate brewed even stronger.

Any time my hate begins to subside even a tad, I can always count on the Leafs cheerleaders on TSN and CBC to rile me right back up. I honestly think I'd punch Harry Neale in the mouth if I ever met him...same goes for Glenn Healy. I know there should be SOME measure of bias towards the 'home team', but these guys twist the truth to the point where it's a complete lack of professionalism.

There is no team in any sport I hate half as much as the Leafs. I cheer for the Giants in baseball, but I don't hate the Dodgers as much as I hate the Leafs. I am a Michigan Wolverines fan, but I don't hate Notre Dame or Ohio State nearly as much as I hate the Leafs.

The Toronto Maple Leafs and their fans are the lowest of the low...the scum that grows on the bottom of a cockroach's belly....and I will forever hate them with every fiber of my being.

I only have pity for them. it's worse than hatred.

most of the fans are great to have a hockey chat but a minority of them, real A holes just come in montreal just stir some crap and insult montreal and their fine french speaking citizens.

You know, I moved from Lachine, PQ to Mississauga, ON over 8 years ago and for the most part, it has been a positve experience. However, when finding out that I was born and breed Habs Fan, the co-workers I have met have been a pain in the ass when it comes to my team.

Many a time, you get the standard crap:

• When was the last time your team made the playoffs? (Remember when I moved here, the habs weren't doing very well in even getting in the post season. This always made me laugh in that it was normal to make the playoffs as opposed to winning the damn thing? My reply was two fold: 1) '93 :king: vs '67 :?- 2) At least I've seen the stanley cup parade several times in my lifetime :king: , whereas I would tell the rest of them they can see it anytime they want at the HHOF :P
  • When they tell me of the best players T.O. has, they speak of Tie Domi?!? I mean, come on! Tied o My :blink: I just have to tell them about John Kordic (R.I.P) and it hits a nerve that makes them change the subject very quickly.
I go on more, but you get the idea... B)