Why Do You Hate The Leafs?

classical

Just try living anywhere within a 4 hour drive (sometimes even 18, i.e., Northern ontario) of Toronto.

All Leafs, all the time in the papers, tv and radio shows and magazines, talking about:

- how players such as Domi, Belak, McCabe and Tucker are so unbelievably good

- the planning of the Cup route at the beginning of each

- how the CBC anouncers are not obvisouly pro-Leafs supporters

- and above all else, how to almost every fan (who is not a fan of hockey but rather a fan of the Maple Leafs) their beloved team can do no wrong

Oh God, do I hate the Leafs and their fans.....

-Hearing about the team is what I would expect. And what is wrong with that?

-Recently what you heard from the majority about Domi was either: why was he signed to 2 years? I hope he gets bought out, and my God look at the size of his ego.

-Belak is a whipping boy.

-McCabe is widely believed to be decent but overpaid. Kaberle gets the most praise from most in Toronto.

Sorry but most leaf fans sit around talking about the frustration and futility of being a Leaf fan not about how awesome the team is.

In fact most of the criticisms leveled here sound exactly like Leafs fans talking among themselves (when no known Sens fans are in the room). Except for the bit about Toronto being across from Cleveland.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Hearing about the team is what I would expect. And what is wrong with that?

-Recently what you heard from the majority about Domi was either: why was he signed to 2 years? I hope he gets bought out, and my God look at the size of his ego.

-Belak is a whipping boy.

-McCabe is widely believed to be decent but overpaid. Kaberle gets the most praise from most in Toronto.

Sorry but most leaf fans sit around talking about the frustration and futility of being a Leaf fan not about how awesome the team is.

In fact most of the criticisms leveled here sound exactly like Leafs fans talking among themselves (when no known Sens fans are in the room). Except for the bit about Toronto being across from Cleveland.

leaf lover

I completely disagree. Montreal Canadiens fans are the most demanding fans in Sports History (maybe the Yankee's are close) and rightly so. Habs fans demand a stanley cup every year, and are dissapointed more than most when it doesn't happen. Look at this forum. People on here are currently questioning whos the number 1 goalie, Kovalev's work ethic, whether Samsonov is worth it, trade Craig Rivet, Souray is a pylon and the usual trade Ryder now.... all this after 3 games. Its hard to say who's fans are more fickle because we all keep coming back year after year, but Toronto fans have definitley had it rougher, and for a longer time than us, THANKFULLY

obviesly you dont watch soccer....just in brezil they burnt down the ronaldhino statue after a poor play in the world cup! lol but i get your point

You know, I moved from Lachine, PQ to Mississauga, ON over 8 years ago and for the most part, it has been a positve experience. However, when finding out that I was born and breed Habs Fan, the co-workers I have met have been a pain in the ass when it comes to my team.

Many a time, you get the standard crap:

• When was the last time your team made the playoffs? (Remember when I moved here, the habs weren't doing very well in even getting in the post season. This always made me laugh in that it was normal to make the playoffs as opposed to winning the damn thing? My reply was two fold: 1) '93 :king: vs '67 :?- 2) At least I've seen the stanley cup parade several times in my lifetime :king: , whereas I would tell the rest of them they can see it anytime they want at the HHOF :P
  • When they tell me of the best players T.O. has, they speak of Tie Domi?!? I mean, come on! Tied o My :blink: I just have to tell them about John Kordic (R.I.P) and it hits a nerve that makes them change the subject very quickly.
I go on more, but you get the idea... B)

What do you tell them about John Kordic the hits a nerve and changes the subject.

The fact that he was a crazy ass fighter or that they gave us russ courtnal for him. You know that Kordic was a Leaf for a while ....right?

I REKON LEAFS FANS WOULD SAY THE SAME ABOUT OUR FANS AND SENS WOULD SAY THE SAME ABOUT LEAFS AND LEAFS ABOUT SENS BLAH BLAH BLAH

LEAFS SUCK :lol:

leaf lover

obviesly you dont watch soccer....just in brezil they burnt down the ronaldhino statue after a poor play in the world cup! lol but i get your point

No I hate soccer, but you have a point. How about the Columbians who shot players getting off airplanes after they score on their own net....doh

I still think we should merge this thread with the existing Anti-Maple Leafs thread... :o

Plus this is the Habs Discussion forum.

The reason why this thread is relevant in the Habs forum is because I was asking why Habs fans in particular hate the Leafs. But I understand your point--both threads are similar.

:blink:

Calm down! It's just a little joke in regards to the Finland/Sweden rivalry...

If that was your intention, then it was an extremely subtle joke that perhaps only you understood. That is, I don't think ch_nl and Doktor Kosmos overreacted. But you're a West Coaster like me and we do have a strange sense of humour out here, eh? :)

Anyways, I was just wondering, when the Leafs and Habs were in different conferences and met only twice a year, did you hate the Leafs just as much then as now? To me, if the teams had less contact back then, the fans also would have had less contact. But I'm probably just being naive. :lol:

If that was your intention, then it was an extremely subtle joke that perhaps only you understood. That is, I don't think ch_nl and Doktor Kosmos overreacted. But you're a West Coaster like me and we do have a strange sense of humour out here, eh? :)

Anyways, I was just wondering, when the Leafs and Habs were in different conferences and met only twice a year, did you hate the Leafs just as much then as now? To me, if the teams had less contact back then, the fans also would have had less contact. But I'm probably just being naive. :lol:

I suppose it was a little subtle, but it was mostly intended for my fellow HWLers. I figured my Suomi sig would have cleared up any confusion from third parties, but I suppose not.

As for when they were in seperate conferences, I can barely remember. I was about ten or so when the conferences were switched around. Yet even so, I can remember a distinct rivalry between Habs and Leafs supporters, although most of it was borne out by my parents' generation and extended to my own.

You can also attribute some of the roots to inheritance. My father was a leaf hater, and I am a leaf hater as a result. And I can guaranty you that my sons and daughters will be leaf haters as well!

God bless you !!!

God bless you !!!

at the end of the day nobody should have to justify their hatred- it aint as if itsd racist or sexist or homophobic in anyway.

at the end of the day nobody should have to justify their hatred- it aint as if itsd racist or sexist or homophobic in anyway.

Ah, I think you've sniffed out the true intent of my original post. I actually was asking people to justify their hatred of the Leafs, because I just didn't get it.

After reading all the replies, I get it now. I'm also surprised that nobody got upset over the tone of my original post (which was condescending). You guys have shamed me with your civility. I think I'll just go back to rarely posting and full-time lurking. :)

Ah, I think you've sniffed out the true intent of my original post. I actually was asking people to justify their hatred of the Leafs, because I just didn't get it.

After reading all the replies, I get it now. I'm also surprised that nobody got upset over the tone of my original post (which was condescending). You guys have shamed me with your civility. I think I'll just go back to rarely posting and full-time lurking. :)

ok then i can be very un civil if you like? only joking! i hate the leafs cos it goes with the territory of being a habs fan- i aint from canada- so it aint the same for me and i have only followed hockey for three years but still gotta hate those leafs.