Any Metal Heads About? Or Is This A Dying Fade?

habs_in_the_blood

would any of the habs play for free when they know they can get money elsewhere? no- fair enough they might enjoy the sport but they wouldnt play it professionally if they wernt being paid- theyd do it as a hobby. and when they claim there doing it for artistic merit (singers/writers/photographers) their using a cliche as old as the wheel. anyone would do pretty much anything for money- whether they enjoy it or not. for example- do you think every singer/songwriter likes the music they play? i doubt it it might not be their favourites style of music but they know they can do it and it sells and makes them their money.

Professional athlete - paid to play.

Amateur athlete - not paid to play.

You can't be a "professional" unless you're being paid to do it because it's your "profession." Hence the adjective "professional." Anyways, do you think that say Britney Spears woke up one day and said, "Hey! I want to make lots of money. Professional singers make lots of money. I want to learn how to sing and become a professional at it because then I'd make tons of money." No. Singers, or any type of "artist," enjoy something and realize that they have a chance at becoming a professional. Ultimately, greed will drive them on, but to say that none of their ventures have even the slightest ounce of "artistic merit" is just plain ignorance. Then you go on to say that most musicians don't like always like their music, but sell it anyways. I have a question for you. Do most people love their jobs? I highly doubt it. Now here's another question. Would most people try to make their job as enjoyable as possible, even within the constraits of said job? Damn straight they would. So likewise, even if a musician is told what to write/play, he or she is still going to try and personalize the music as much as possible, hence the "artistic merit."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Professional athlete - paid to play.

Amateur athlete - not paid to play.

You can't be a "professional" unless you're being paid to do it because it's your "profession." Hence the adjective "professional." Anyways, do you think that say Britney Spears woke up one day and said, "Hey! I want to make lots of money. Professional singers make lots of money. I want to learn how to sing and become a professional at it because then I'd make tons of money." No. Singers, or any type of "artist," enjoy something and realize that they have a chance at becoming a professional. Ultimately, greed will drive them on, but to say that none of their ventures have even the slightest ounce of "artistic merit" is just plain ignorance. Then you go on to say that most musicians don't like always like their music, but sell it anyways. I have a question for you. Do most people love their jobs? I highly doubt it. Now here's another question. Would most people try to make their job as enjoyable as possible, even within the constraits of said job? Damn straight they would. So likewise, even if a musician is told what to write/play, he or she is still going to try and personalize the music as much as possible, hence the "artistic merit."

oh bananas you win. :o

No it wasnt- how did your name come about? dark fairy?

Well, I've always liked faeries for as long as I can remember and then in the latter bit of high school I went through a bit of a depression and got involved in the goth/alt scene. Actually, there really wasn't much of a scene at the time, but ironically enough, there's been some significant growth in that area since I graduated. Anyhow, that's basically how I came up with it. 87 is my birth year.

Well, I've always liked faeries for as long as I can remember and then in the latter bit of high school I went through a bit of a depression and got involved in the goth/alt scene. Actually, there really wasn't much of a scene at the time, but ironically enough, there's been some significant growth in that area since I graduated. Anyhow, that's basically how I came up with it. 87 is my birth year.

fairy enuff (sorry bad pun) - never been in a scene myself- i dotn fit in with anyone stereotype- im just me and happy to be me.

fairy enuff (sorry bad pun) - never been in a scene myself- i dotn fit in with anyone stereotype- im just me and happy to be me.

Heheh, wonderful pun, I'll have to remember that one! Anyhow, I'm not really part of any stereotype now, but rather little bits and pieces of all sorts of things. I just do as I please, without worrying what others think.

Heheh, wonderful pun, I'll have to remember that one! Anyhow, I'm not really part of any stereotype now, but rather little bits and pieces of all sorts of things. I just do as I please, without worrying what others think.

thats good. i still cant believe your a bloke though. :blush:

i had a mate like you once and i didnt mind him being that way until he started making really dirty comemnts about wat he'd like to do with me- i asked him to stop- he didnt- so i just never spoke to him again.

thats good. i still cant believe your a bloke though. :blush:

i had a mate like you once and i didnt mind him being that way until he started making really dirty comemnts about wat he'd like to do with me- i asked him to stop- he didnt- so i just never spoke to him again.

Heheh, don't worry, at least you haven't mistaken me for a girl in the men's bathroom. That's happened quite a few times. Anyways, I'll make comments sometimes, but I've yet to actually cross the line and I don't intend to do so anytime soon. It's mostly just innuendo though.

Heheh, don't worry, at least you haven't mistaken me for a girl in the men's bathroom. That's happened quite a few times. Anyways, I'll make comments sometimes, but I've yet to actually cross the line and I don't intend to do so anytime soon. It's mostly just innuendo though.

can i tell you sumat fella- if you aint sure about crossing the line maybe u aint byesexual- just curious? just an opinion.

can i tell you sumat fella- if you aint sure about crossing the line maybe u aint byesexual- just curious? just an opinion.

Haha, no, that's not what I meant. I meant that I don't make unwanted advances...or at least I try not to. I respect straight guys for being straight and while I might flirt/hit on them, it's always in good fun and I try not to go beyond their comfort zone.

Haha, no, that's not what I meant. I meant that I don't make unwanted advances...or at least I try not to. I respect straight guys for being straight and while I might flirt/hit on them, it's always in good fun and I try not to go beyond their comfort zone.

aggh right fair enough. i see what you mean. like i said i can take it in jest but when someone does it over seriously and i have asked them to stop and they havnt respected that- then it angers me.

aggh right fair enough. i see what you mean. like i said i can take it in jest but when someone does it over seriously and i have asked them to stop and they havnt respected that- then it angers me.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Besides, I'm a firm believer in consensual sex. No means no.

:blink:

take it you dont wana here em then?

have you noticed were the only two posters on here- i think whoever started this thread will be mad when they next look at it :lol:

have you noticed were the only two posters on here- i think whoever started this thread will be mad when they next look at it :lol:

too bad I went to sleep early yesterday. seems like a nice conversation you two had there.

KC. awesome jokes !! I love jokes that shock people...as long as it's not derogatory or anything.

too bad I went to sleep early yesterday. seems like a nice conversation you two had there.

KC. awesome jokes !! I love jokes that shock people...as long as it's not derogatory or anything.

The hell happend here???i started this post thinking hey maybe ill get to know new bands and what not?? but no i get pedophilic jokes and what not! lol

i think people are goin a little to deep here over music- i dont see it as an art form in anywya- its a business- anyone in a band who says they aint in it for the money is a liar- if any band was overed a big multi million contract with a major label theyd take it - end of. as for metal i like some of it- some is just pure noise and nothing else.

Unless you're playing hip hop or pop or fake punk, you're not exactly rolling in dough, and chances are you're not on a major label either. There are bands that have gone from major labels and sold out arenas to playing in clubs and small theaters, and they're still out there doing it because it's what they love to do. Take the late Dimebag Darrell. He went from number one records, platinum awards and sold-out headlning tours to playing in small clubs. He made enough money to sit on his ass and get fat and die a bloated, happy rock star, but he started a new band and started at the bottom again and was working his way back up. Then you have a guy like Gene Simmons who hasn't released anything relevant or important in a decade (or more), but he'll plaster his face on anything and everything that will make him a dollar. Dime was more of an artist than Gene will ever be, in my mind. But at least he's honest about it. I have to give him credit for that.

Of course the money is important, you have to make a living at something. They have bills to pay, just like everyone else. It might be your primary source of income, it might not. The more successful you become, the more trappings come with it. I'm not naive or gullible enough to think that everyone in the music business is a purist, but if you look hard enough, you can find the ones who jump from one trend to the other. And at a certain point, it does become more about business and less about music. It's the downside of being a professional musician.

okay, I'm going to pull a mod here and delete the pedophile jokes, and please hold off on the dead/sick baby jokes. I mean where do we stop?