Movies

habs_in_the_blood

Last great two movies I saw were the last movies I watched. Both one after the other.

Blade Runner - emotionally draining

and

A Clockwork Orange - I will never see the 9th from Ludwig van Beethoven the same way ever again or for that matter singing in the rain. I won't think of Bing Crosby anymore thats for sure.

is that a chaser movie? a la total recall???? i think its with harrison ford no? i dont remember seeing this...i think i am confusing this with rollerball

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's hard for me because I can barely remember the movies I've seen past...oh...6 years ago. So right now I end up with stuff like the Spiderman movies or the LOTR movies. It just ends up looking really unoriginal.

Same for me... 80% of the movies I watch dont leave any impression on me. 15% of the rest is all a wash, just a notch above average... then there's a small 5% that just stays with you when its over.

Like Apocalypse Now, for example... I watched it for the first time just a few years ago. I knew it was a classic, but I thought "70's movie about the Vietnam war, its gonna be long, slow and outdated" but damn, when it was over I was drained and changed. I felt like I had gone somewhere.

That's what sets a movie apart for me. It has to not just show you stuff, it has to drag you, suck you in.

Requiem for a Dream isnt in my top 10 but very close. That movie is so insidious. You just go along, dont really notice anything and when the end credits role, you're completely stunned.

Forrest Gump is another of my personnal faves. Not because it has anything stellar or hyper-artsy, but because its such an effective roller-coaster.

Anybody else seen The Departed yet.. I really really liked it. Even though the ending was kinda like slamming a door shut on the movie.

:hlogo:

Same for me... 80% of the movies I watch dont leave any impression on me. 15% of the rest is all a wash, just a notch above average... then there's a small 5% that just stays with you when its over.

Like Apocalypse Now, for example... I watched it for the first time just a few years ago. I knew it was a classic, but I thought "70's movie about the Vietnam war, its gonna be long, slow and outdated" but damn, when it was over I was drained and changed. I felt like I had gone somewhere.

That's what sets a movie apart for me. It has to not just show you stuff, it has to drag you, suck you in.

Requiem for a Dream isnt in my top 10 but very close. That movie is so insidious. You just go along, dont really notice anything and when the end credits role, you're completely stunned.

Forrest Gump is another of my personnal faves. Not because it has anything stellar or hyper-artsy, but because its such an effective roller-coaster.

Yep, I pretty much have movies I realy enjoy but it's hard to organize and rank them. When I was about 5, my favorite movie was...oh man...it had Sly Stone, Wesley Snipes and Sandra Bullock...Demolition Man? I really liked Wesley Snipes character, thats why I liked it. Nowadays I realize it's only a half-decent action movie. Really liked Jurassic Park when I was a kid.

Lately theres been movies like Training Day (love that movie), Spiderman movies, LOTR movies (well, not Fellowship. Didn't like that movie), V For Vendetta, Sin City. I don't see as many Clockwork Orange/Requiem movies as I'd like to, leads to a very bland list of favorite movies.

Anyway, I saw a trailer tonight for a movie called "300". It's based on a graphic novel done by Frank Miller who is best known for the Sin City novels. Looks really good, just search 300 at youtube and a bunch should come up.

so finally is this movie pro or against smoking?

It doesn't really take either side really. It acknowledges that they can be dangerous but that argument isn't the point of the movie. It shows:

-how it is for someone to truly be hated by people he doesn't even know

-how this guy is so good at his job - the way he argues etc....

Anyways, not an Oscar winner but a good movie.

Yep, I pretty much have movies I realy enjoy but it's hard to organize and rank them. When I was about 5, my favorite movie was...oh man...it had Sly Stone, Wesley Snipes and Sandra Bullock...Demolition Man? I really liked Wesley Snipes character, thats why I liked it. Nowadays I realize it's only a half-decent action movie. Really liked Jurassic Park when I was a kid.

Lately theres been movies like Training Day (love that movie), Spiderman movies, LOTR movies (well, not Fellowship. Didn't like that movie), V For Vendetta, Sin City. I don't see as many Clockwork Orange/Requiem movies as I'd like to, leads to a very bland list of favorite movies.

Anyway, I saw a trailer tonight for a movie called "300". It's based on a graphic novel done by Frank Miller who is best known for the Sin City novels. Looks really good, just search 300 at youtube and a bunch should come up.

Ah, I saw Training Day years ago but remember liking it.

Strange fact: Me and my grandmother (55 year age difference) tend to watch the same type of movies, AND have the same favourite actor (Johnny Depp). :blink:

I love Apocalypse Now, its like my fav movie,

if you liked apocalypse now you would like= Full metal Jacket (very funny movie) and Platoon, their great movies

And i know its a series but does anyone else love Band of Brothers? one weekend i just watched all 12 hours of it, its amazing.

I just saw Departed. I wanted to enjoy the movie but a couldn't. From the 3 year old toddler crying and crying during the entire movie and people smoking in the theatre. I couldn't breathe for I'm allergic to smoke and the constant crying pissed me off. How in the world does a three year old get into a R rated movie? Then people smoking. I'm pissed.

I just saw Departed. I wanted to enjoy the movie but a couldn't. From the 3 year old toddler crying and crying during the entire movie and people smoking in the theatre. I couldn't breathe for I'm allergic to smoke and the constant crying pissed me off. How in the world does a three year old get into a R rated movie? Then people smoking. I'm pissed.

still allowed to smoke in theatres in usa ??

Yeah, I've had little kids in 18A and R rated movies too and they ALWAYS throw a temper tantrum. Why the hell doesn't the movie theater just reject them? Try harder to find a baby sitter next time or just wait for the damn movie to come out on DVD. God that pisses me off. And I hate when you're in a theater full of teens and they won't shut the hell up. People were talking the entire time throughout The Grudge 2. I didn't overpay to hear John and Jennifer broke up and Billy is gonna kick Timmy's ass on Tuesday.

Anyway, back to the subject of movies. Watched Garden State last night again, thats a really good movie. Another of my early favorites that I remembered last night, Dumb And Dumber. Saw it when I was...7, I think. Loved it ever since. Another movie I really like that I watched today, Independance Day. The action sequences are awesome and the final sequence inspired a level in one of my favorite games ever, Starfox 64. :D

Yeah, I've had little kids in 18A and R rated movies too and they ALWAYS throw a temper tantrum. Why the hell doesn't the movie theater just reject them? Try harder to find a baby sitter next time or just wait for the damn movie to come out on DVD. God that pisses me off. And I hate when you're in a theater full of teens and they won't shut the hell up. People were talking the entire time throughout The Grudge 2. I didn't overpay to hear John and Jennifer broke up and Billy is gonna kick Timmy's ass on Tuesday.

Anyway, back to the subject of movies. Watched Garden State last night again, thats a really good movie. Another of my early favorites that I remembered last night, Dumb And Dumber. Saw it when I was...7, I think. Loved it ever since. Another movie I really like that I watched today, Independance Day. The action sequences are awesome and the final sequence inspired a level in one of my favorite games ever, Starfox 64. :D

lol i hear you man,,,i usually turn around and stare without blinking...that usually works...stare for 1 minute if you have too...stare like so :angry: and they'll look away and they wont even scream at a scary part lol :)

Edited by habs_in_the_blood

lol i hear you man,,,i usually turn around and stare without blinking...that usually works...stare for 1 minute if you have too...stare like so :angry: and they'll look away and they wont even scream at a scary part lol :)

Hahahaha, I've threatened people a couple times ala George in Seinfeld. If theres one thing I hate, it's when my seat gets kicked by some obnoxious 14 year old. It was sometime during Grade 12, stood up after half an hour of getting kicked and yelled at the kid and his buddies. Dared them to kick my seat one more time and see what happens, all my friends were laughing their asses of cause the kid looked legitmately scared I was gonna kick his ass. I wasn't, I was just trying to be threatening. :lol:

Another thing I hate that you just reminded me of at scary movies, when the girls scream FAR too much. I remember seeing The Ring, a couple girls screamed when Samara came out of the TV even though it was so blatantly obvious it was gonna happen.

Hahahaha, I've threatened people a couple times ala George in Seinfeld. If theres one thing I hate, it's when my seat gets kicked by some obnoxious 14 year old. It was sometime during Grade 12, stood up after half an hour of getting kicked and yelled at the kid and his buddies. Dared them to kick my seat one more time and see what happens, all my friends were laughing their asses of cause the kid looked legitmately scared I was gonna kick his ass. I wasn't, I was just trying to be threatening. :lol:

Another thing I hate that you just reminded me of at scary movies, when the girls scream FAR too much. I remember seeing The Ring, a couple girls screamed when Samara came out of the TV even though it was so blatantly obvious it was gonna happen.

how about loud laughers? hehe could throw something down there throat while they are laughing to shut em up

how about loud laughers? hehe could throw something down there throat while they are laughing to shut em up

Oh yeah, I hate that too. The ones that don't do it very often aren't so bad, it's the ones who think everything is funny.

Just remembered one story from when I saw Hitch. This guy sat in the row in front of me with his date (I'm assuming since it's a chick flick and it was like, two days before Valentines Day). Anyway, the movie is about 3 minutes in and she goes to the bathroom. Doesn't come back for the entire movie, guy got stood up.

I was laughing my ass off.

No its illegal. I'm allegeric and I can't breathe at the moment constantly coughing.

I think I'm allergic to second hand smoke but I never had any problems( or very few problems) when I smoked

Oh yeah, I hate that too. The ones that don't do it very often aren't so bad, it's the ones who think everything is funny.

Just remembered one story from when I saw Hitch. This guy sat in the row in front of me with his date (I'm assuming since it's a chick flick and it was like, two days before Valentines Day). Anyway, the movie is about 3 minutes in and she goes to the bathroom. Doesn't come back for the entire movie, guy got stood up.

I was laughing my ass off.

LMAO !!!

hey! at least he had a reason to see a chick flick...what was yours ?? :P

I think I'm allergic to second hand smoke but I never had any problems( or very few problems) when I smoked

LMAO !!!

LOL

so i guess the guy was turning around every two minutes...at what point did he get the sign that she was gone? at the credits?

LMAO !!!

The ol' "I got dragged to it by the gf". Of which I haven't seen in like...a year. I like Will Smith anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

LOL

so i guess the guy was turning around every two minutes...at what point did he get the sign that she was gone? at the credits?

Yep, his head was on a swivel the entire movie. I was surprised he didn't just leave. Saw his face as I left, he looked REALLY depressed. :lol:

The ol' "I got dragged to it by the gf". Of which I haven't seen in like...a year. I like Will Smith anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

Yep, his head was on a swivel the entire movie. I was surprised he didn't just leave. Saw at his face as I left, he looked REALLY depressed. :lol:

i'm sure he had to walk because SHE had the car :lol:

Nothings funnier when people go out on dates and its the girl driving the car. I always find that funny for some reason. Maybe its because as a culture it was the man doing the driving, walking the girl to the door etc etc.

I dont mind it at all when my Gf is driving..more booze for me !!!

• 3 weeks later...