Movies

habs_in_the_blood

My top 10

in random order

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (and most of Jack's movies esp. China Town)

Life of Brian

In Search of the Holy Grail

The Princess Bride

The Waterboy

Slapshot

Any of Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies

Total Eclipse

Platoon

All of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry Movies

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 10

in random order

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (and most of Jack's movies esp. China Town)

Life of Brian

In Search of the Holy Grail

The Princess Bride

The Waterboy

Slapshot

Any of Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies

Total Eclipse

Platoon

All of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry Movies

I love you already! :wub:

I mean, what could possibly be better than Leo playing a gay French poet? ^_^

leo playing a gay Finnish rock star, maybe ??

I saw fight club for the 1st time the other day. great flick !!

Edited by marky_and_komi

I just caught the end of 'ULTRAVIOLET' on the Movie Network... I had the sorrow of seeing it at the threater when it came out...

It has to have been the worst movie I've seen in a loooooooooooooooooong time!

GO :hlogo: GO!

I just caught the end of 'ULTRAVIOLET' on the Movie Network... I had the sorrow of seeing it at the threater when it came out...

Oh man, I went on opening day to see that movie, I was so dissapointed. It's top three for worst movies I've ever seen, it's just sooooooo bad.

Well, I get that reaction a lot :D However, I think that was and still is one of his best roles. Who played his love interest? I havent seen the movie for ages because no video store ever has it when I am in the mood to watch it

just a comment without trying to inflame things here but i wonder if the 'alternative life style' isn't given a preferential presentation in the media...

there seems to be a 'glorification' of the 'gay' option in the same way that the natives were 'glorified' in the 70's and 80's. at that time, anything native or 'natural' was good and anything white or 'civilized' was corrupt. to even hint at the idea that there was bad stuff in the native experience was immediately labelled racist or hatred... there's still some of that stigma... no one dares to say anything 'bad' about natives in the media and, if someone, especially a politician does that, the boom comes down quickly and with finality...

the same is the case for the 'gay' experience... anything 'gay/lesbian' is good and the only source of bad is in the heterosexual camp.

try and express disagreement with it and that same boom comes down pretty quickly...

now all of that is to say that i've hardly ever seen a homosexual represented in a bad light... at worst, they're benign presences in the media... that's somewhat unbalanced, i'm sure... there's got to be some 'bad' 'gays' but i doubt that we'll see them.

the closest i saw to a 'bad' 'gay' person was in the movie 'capote'... the man was presented as not a very nice or good person but his homosexuality was not really presented in the movie... one would have to have known beforehand that he was homosexual or try to guess that he was by his mannerisms and, to be honest, these are not necessary to homosexuals - not all affect the stereotyped speech or other behaviour... so, even here, there was a buffering that took place...

remember, this is a comment on the media and what i perceive to be a fearfull and unbalanced presentation

of the 'alternative' lifestyle

Edited by shortcat1

There might be an element of truth in what you said SC1 if you are refering to the bane of modern life political correctness.

However, the in the movie under discusion, Verlaine and Baudilaire do not glorify the "alternative lifestyle". The older poet, Verlaine if I remember correctly, is a nasty, violent, miserable, jealous chararcter and the younger one , played by LD mainupulates him shamelessly. So, no glorification here, just a facinating and disturbing; wonderfully produced and acted movie

just a comment without trying to inflame things here but i wonder if the 'alternative life style' isn't given a preferential presentation in the media...

there seems to be a 'glorification' of the 'gay' option in the same way that the natives were 'glorified' in the 70's and 80's. at that time, anything native or 'natural' was good and anything white or 'civilized' was corrupt. to even hint at the idea that there was bad stuff in the native experience was immediately labelled racist or hatred... there's still some of that stigma... no one dares to say anything 'bad' about natives in the media and, if someone, especially a politician does that, the boom comes down quickly and with finality...

the same is the case for the 'gay' experience... anything 'gay/lesbian' is good and the only source of bad is in the heterosexual camp.

try and express disagreement with it and that same boom comes down pretty quickly...

now all of that is to say that i've hardly ever seen a homosexual represented in a bad light... at worst, they're benign presences in the media... that's somewhat unbalanced, i'm sure... there's got to be some 'bad' 'gays' but i doubt that we'll see them.

the closest i saw to a 'bad' 'gay' person was in the movie 'capote'... the man was presented as not a very nice or good person but his homosexuality was not really presented in the movie... one would have to have known beforehand that he was homosexual or try to guess that he was by his mannerisms and, to be honest, these are not necessary to homosexuals - not all affect the stereotyped speech or other behaviour... so, even here, there was a buffering that took place...

remember, this is a comment on the media and what i perceive to be a fearfull and unbalanced presentation

Edited by PMAC

I've got Hostel lying in my basement right now. I know it's a terrible movie but I'm tempted to watch it. I'm holding back because I'm too scared though. It's a movie about people being tortured.

Oh man, I went on opening day to see that movie, I was so dissapointed. It's top three for worst movies I've ever seen, it's just sooooooo bad.

I think Blair Witch 2 and Master of Disguise were the worst movies I've ever seen. Gah.

I think Blair Witch 2 and Master of Disguise were the worst movies I've ever seen
I haven't seen Master of Disguise so I can't comment on that, but I completely agree with you on Blair Witch 2. Whoever it was from the movie company that sanctioned that project should be hanged at dawn. Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Do yourself a favour and don't watch the sequal. Even if they pay you.

I didn't particularly like Resident Evil either (I've seen the first one, how many are there alltogether?). I can understand making a video game based on a movie, but not the other way around. I've played the first two Resident Evil games, and both of them were great (especially the first one was really scary! :blink: ) and I feel the movie... well, it wasn't even in the same universe, nevermind the same league as the games. :P

Do yourself a favour and don't watch the sequal. Even if they pay you.

I didn't particularly like Resident Evil either (I've seen the first one, how many are there alltogether?). I can understand making a video game based on a movie, but not the other way around. I've played the first two Resident Evil games, and both of them were great (especially the first one was really scary! :blink: ) and I feel the movie... well, it wasn't even in the same universe, nevermind the same league as the games. :P

Theres 2 out right now, a third will be out this year and a 4th either next year or 2009. Thats the same reason I hated it, I'm a huge fan of the games (probably my favorite series ever) and the movie didn't even come close to the games. Aside from the zombies, nothing else was the same. How can you make a Resident Evil movie and then have a main character that was never in any of the games? It just doesn't make sense.

I was pleased with the sequel though, they added a lot of elements from the game. For movie standards, it still probably wasn't that good but for a game-into-a-movie, it was pretty good. They're adding more people from the games into the next couple movies which is even better, Claire and Wesker will be in the third one (although they're taking Jill out). Paul Anderson keeps creating his own characters though which is bloody stupid. He creates some stupid character and then casts Ashanti to play her :rolleyes: . He's almost as bad as Uwe Boll.

Well, I get that reaction a lot :D However, I think that was and still is one of his best roles. Who played his love interest? I havent seen the movie for ages because no video store ever has it when I am in the mood to watch it

Heheh, yeah, probably my favourite of his as well. Not sure about who played Verlaine, but I know it wasn't anyone well-known.

You bring up good points and I agree with you about how minority groups get special treatment. Nonetheless, there have been quite a few representations of homosexuals in TV/movies where they're depicted as the stereotypical "flaming queen." Case in point: School of Rock. No one ever said that kid was actually gay, but he almost perfectly fit the stereotype.

There might be an element of truth in what you said SC1 if you are refering to the bane of modern life political correctness.

However, the in the movie under discusion, Verlaine and Baudilaire do not glorify the "alternative lifestyle". The older poet, Verlaine if I remember correctly, is a nasty, violent, miserable, jealous chararcter and the younger one , played by LD mainupulates him shamelessly. So, no glorification here, just a facinating and disturbing; wonderfully produced and acted movie

Very true, calling Verlaine glorified in that film would be like saying the same about Satan in Paradise Lost. :P

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai

Pretty good movie, but not as good as I had hoped it would be. Perhaps my expectations were a little too high. Actually, the ending sort of made the whole movie worth it, I would have given the movie a lower score had the ending been different.

What I didn't like was some of the things that I take it are supposed to be funny, like the French speaking ice cream vendor and the Samurai saying the exact same lines all the time without being able to understand one another. Or all the mafia guys watching cartoons all the time. I just didn't get it, I suppose. That said, I do like Forest Whitaker, his "boss" Louie and the ice cream dude.

This is the first Jarmusch movie I've seen; or rather, the first Jarmusch movie I've been able to sit through - I did not get Coffee and cigarettes. I don't drink coffee, I don't smoke, I'm not cool - I didn't get it. I have been recommended to see Dead Man and I hope that one day I will get to see it. I can imagine Down By Law is worth seeing for Tom Waits alone, and my brother absolutely loved Night on Earth, so I would see those too if I got the chance.

I saw Departed. Really whats so great about the movie?

The Queen- not a fan of royal families

Two Iwa- looks awesome but I doubt it will win its about the Japanese so exnay on the Oscar.

Little Miss Sunshine- wow are the Oscars going to award a comedy? lol never.

Babel- Babelfish? when did they make a movie on a yahoo translator

Best Actor-

Leo- geez is this guy the most desperate guy in hollywood to get a little gold statue. The obligatory Leo going for his oscar movie.

Ryan Gosling- girlfriend is still more famous

Peter O'Toole- two words happy drunk (see letterman inteview)

Will Smith- hey how did he get here?

Forest Whitaker- damn that dude freaks me out

Best Actress-

Ms. Cruz- hey does her girlfriend Ms. Hayek come with her? Thats so hot!!!

Judi Dench- good lord wasn't she nominated the year before and the year before and the year before. Seems like she owns a spot on the nomination list

Hellen Mirren- thats nice don't care much for a Queen thank you

Meryl Streep- your kidding right? This has to be a miss print. Devil Wears Prada? When did Hollywood go comedy? Jim Carrey must be pissed.

Kate Winslet- gosh I can't believe she's like on 30. She's on here every freaking year. She must be the offical shoe in british lady once Dench retires.

Supporting Actor

Eddie Murphy- Eddie Eddie Eddie. Hey Eddies back!

Mark Walhberg- can his character not cuss every five seconds? wow he must have bribed somebody to get on her. MARK WALHBERG?? :wacko:

Alan Arkin- who?

Jackie Earle Haley- who?

Dijmon Hounsou- please... no shot

Best Supporting Actress

Abigail Breslin- HAHAHA Dakota Fanning must be furious!

Jennifer Hudson- please god no! I don't want to here thank you american idol

Rinko Kikuchi- oh my eye candy eye candy eye candy

Adriana Barraza-nope too many Babel fishies in this catagorey