Movies

habs_in_the_blood

Has anyone else seen Pan's Labyrinth yet? I'm going this afternoon and I'll give you an update later tonight.

I saw it today, a good movie, worth seeing. I didnt feel ripped off after paying 25 bucks to see it. Thats the barometer by which I judge movies I see in theatre.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Departed. Really whats so great about the movie?

The Queen- not a fan of royal families

Two Iwa- looks awesome but I doubt it will win its about the Japanese so exnay on the Oscar.

Little Miss Sunshine- wow are the Oscars going to award a comedy? lol never.

Babel- Babelfish? when did they make a movie on a yahoo translator

Best Actor-

Leo- geez is this guy the most desperate guy in hollywood to get a little gold statue. The obligatory Leo going for his oscar movie.

Ryan Gosling- girlfriend is still more famous

Peter O'Toole- two words happy drunk (see letterman inteview)

Will Smith- hey how did he get here?

Forest Whitaker- damn that dude freaks me out

Best Actress-

Ms. Cruz- hey does her girlfriend Ms. Hayek come with her? Thats so hot!!!

Judi Dench- good lord wasn't she nominated the year before and the year before and the year before. Seems like she owns a spot on the nomination list

Hellen Mirren- thats nice don't care much for a Queen thank you

Meryl Streep- your kidding right? This has to be a miss print. Devil Wears Prada? When did Hollywood go comedy? Jim Carrey must be pissed.

Kate Winslet- gosh I can't believe she's like on 30. She's on here every freaking year. She must be the offical shoe in british lady once Dench retires.

Babelfish is Altavista wiseguy...

Also, just because you don't like a particular subject matter doesn't mean that you can write it off as crap. As for your Japanese comment, prepare to be shocked. A rap song glorifying pimps won an Oscar last year...so anything can happen.

As for DiCaprio, he was spectacular in Blood Diamonds, which he was nominated for. Maybe try actually watching the movie before dissing it. As for the other best actor nods, I didn't see any of them, but I heard that Pursuit of Happyness was really good.

Again, only saw one of these films, but to scratch Meryl Streep off your list would be ######ed. She was great in the Devil Wears Prada, maybe you should try actually watching it. It's not just another comedy.

Supporting Actor

Eddie Murphy- Eddie Eddie Eddie. Hey Eddies back!

Mark Walhberg- can his character not cuss every five seconds? wow he must have bribed somebody to get on her. MARK WALHBERG?? :wacko:

Alan Arkin- who?

Jackie Earle Haley- who?

Dijmon Hounsou- please... no shot

Best Supporting Actress

Abigail Breslin- HAHAHA Dakota Fanning must be furious!

Jennifer Hudson- please god no! I don't want to here thank you american idol

Rinko Kikuchi- oh my eye candy eye candy eye candy

Adriana Barraza-nope too many Babel fishies in this catagorey

As for the supporting actors/actresses, I only saw Blood Diamonds and I must say that Dijmon Hounsou did a GREAT job! If Halle Berry and Jamie Foxx can win, then so can he. Also, I wonder how biased you are to bashing these films simply because the actors/actresses involved are white Americans? Have you even seen all the films? What would be even more interesting would be to see who you think should have been nominated.

PS. I want my bloody Finns... :angry:

I saw it today, a good movie, worth seeing. I didnt feel ripped off after paying 25 bucks to see it. Thats the barometer by which I judge movies I see in theatre.

25 bucks?!? I paid $7.95 to get in. I thought it was a superb film, a bit bloodier and grimmer than I expected, but I'm certainly not complaining. I would recommend it to everyone...except maybe BTH. Don't want to corrupt his youthful innocence. :P

I thought the babelfish originated from Douglas Adams book The HItch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :huh:

I saw Departed. Really whats so great about the movie?
I haven't seen it (not sure that is has premiered yet in Sweden), but isn't that the remake of the Hong Kong movie Infernal Affairs? I saw Infernal Affairs just the other day, and it was a trademark Hong Kong action flick. I liked it very much.

My predictions are:

Best Picture: The Queen

Best Director: Scorsese (he has to win sometime)

Best Actor: Forrest Whittaker (really no surprise here)

Best Actress: Hellen Mirren (she even looks like her)

Best Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy (stone cold lock)

Best Supporting Actress: Abigail Breslin (stone cold lock Fanning will be angry)

Best Screenplay: The Queen

Best writing on something previously produced: Borat (if Sunshine does well and gets wins don't be surprised to see Borat up there)

Cinematagraphy: BIG LOCK HERE CHILDREN OF MEN (Don't believe me see the battle scene its all one take and you feel like you are actually in a war zone)

Animated Film: Happy Feet

Foreign Language: Water (Go Canada!)

Best Doc: An Inconvenient Truth

Oscars are all nice and fine, but take it for what it is. The mere fact that Ennio Morricone has never won an Oscar for best music really says it all in my humble opinion. (Though I heard a rumor about him getting one of them life-time award thingies.)

Departed is about about the Irish Mob in Boston. Its full of over exaggerated Irish accents. Boston people do not talk like they just came off the boat from Dublin.

Its full of violence, cussing, and a twist.

The movie has no purpose no message no anything. Which is why I don't get why its in the Oscars.

Sounds like it's a pretty straighforward remake of Internal Affairs. IA definitely wasn't the best movie ever made, and you know, I can't really tell whether Hong Kong flicks should be taken seriously or not. I choose not to take IA seriously. There are a lot of flaws in it. Especially one scene was nothing but a steal of a scene from John Woo's Face Off (his first Hollywood movie I think).

I recently saw one of Woo's earliest movies too, The Killer. It starred Chow Yun-Fat, whom you all know from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I htink it was from the late 80's or something like that. Felt like Leathal Weapon Hong Kong style - a description that fits Internal Affairs as well.

It was by no means a great movie, but like I said before, I think you make a mistake if you take these films too seriously. It's action movies, you're not supposed to analyze them, just sit back with a bag of popcorn and let your brain relax for an hour or two. They're rarely original, as long as a certain amount of cars get blown up, a decent amount of people are shot to pieces and there are some catchty one-liners thrown out by the hero and the bad guy, well, that's about what one should expect from an action movie. ;)

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I didn't read all the pages of this topic but Frank Miller's 300 will be :bow: . Directed by Zach Snyder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZm52UrkDpA SPARTAN !!!!

Edited by JoeLassister

I didn't read all the pages of this topic but Frank Miller's 300 will be :bow: . Realised by Zach Snyder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZm52UrkDpA SPARTAN !!!!

:blink:

I'm assuming that this is loosely based upon the battle where 300 Spartans defended a gap for about a week or so against overwhelming odds until a spy betrayed them. Sooo, all historical inaccuracies aside, it looks like it should be a pretty badass movie.

Oscars are all nice and fine, but take it for what it is. The mere fact that Ennio Morricone has never won an Oscar for best music really says it all in my humble opinion. (Though I heard a rumor about him getting one of them life-time award thingies.)

John Williams should win every year. Even when he doesn't do anything that year. :lol:

:blink:

I'm assuming that this is loosely based upon the battle where 300 Spartans defended a gap for about a week or so against overwhelming odds until a spy betrayed them. Sooo, all historical inaccuracies aside, it looks like it should be a pretty badass movie.

C'mon faerie, I mentioned this movie back in October and you only notice it now. *shakes fist*

Of course it'll be inaccurate, it's based on the graphic novel, not the actual battle.

C'mon faerie, I mentioned this movie back in October and you only notice it now. *shakes fist*

Of course it'll be inaccurate, it's based on the graphic novel, not the actual battle.

I'm hoping it ends up more like V for Vendetta as opposed to Daredevil... :puke:

John Williams should win every year. Even when he doesn't do anything that year. :lol:

I would have agreed with you ten years ago, but nowadays everything he's done sounds the same to me. The work of Morricone, for example, seems more varied to me. It's not that I don't like Williams, I once concidered the soundtrack for the original Star Wars movie to be the best in the world... but since then I've heard a lot of other music in movies that has made me change my mind.

What I did like about the Star Wars music is that it's incorporated into the films. It's not just randomly thrown in there, if you know what I mean. I think that the more senses you can involve, the better. Music and sound is definitely a vital part of movies.

I'm hoping it ends up more like V for Vendetta as opposed to Daredevil... :puke:

LoL we all hope every movies will end up more like V for Vendetta than Daredevil :D

Edited by JoeLassister

What I did like about the Star Wars music is that it's incorporated into the films. It's not just randomly thrown in there, if you know what I mean. I think that the more senses you can involve, the better. Music and sound is definitely a vital part of movies.

Absolutely, music plays a huge role in movies. Pirates of the Caribbean, Braveheart, Star Wars, Star Trek (especially First Contact and Voyage Home), Rudy, pretty much any good movie has good music.

As for Williams, I think some of the work he did on the new Star Wars movies has been his best. "Duel of the Fates" from Episode I is amazing, and the music during the duels in Episode III are fantastic as well. He's been a part of dozens, maybe hundreds of good soundtracks.

To be honest I never got into the new Star Wars movies, so accordingly, I never thought the music was as good as I thought it was in the first three. Then again, over the years I've listened to the original soundtracks infinately more, so... In fact, I don't even have the OST from Episodes 2 & 3.

Duel of the Fates is one that stands out from the rest of it though.