Movies

habs_in_the_blood

Also, try to imagine, oh, say a Hitchcock movie without music. Bernard Herrmann is without doubt one of the greatest composers of movie music of all time. Just think of Psycho and Vertigo for example. It definitely adds a lot to the tension in the films. And his music in a film like Taxi Driver - simply amazing.

A couple of other honorable mentions: a minute ago I listened to Jack Nietzche's music from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Right now I'm listening to the OST from Terry Gilliam's Brazil (one of my all-time favourite movies) - the music is written by Michael Kamen. Gilliam usually has wonderful music in his movies. I just love the Astor Piazzolla stuff in Twelve Monkeys - and I don't even like tango! ;)

In case you hadn't guessed it though, my favourite is of course Ennio Morricone - hands down! Pure genius! B)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping it ends up more like V for Vendetta as opposed to Daredevil... :puke:

Daredevil wasn't a bad comic book movie if you look at others. First one to point out: Batman & Robin. Joel Schumacher almost single-handedly killed the Batman franchise with this movie. Batman Forever wasn't great either (Val Kilmer was a terrible choice for Batman. I did enjoy Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey in it though, they saved it from being what Batman & Robin was).

However, if it weren't for Batman & Robin, there never would've been a need for Batman Begins which pretty much blows every other Batman movie out of the water. Christian Bale nailed the torment of the character. Superman III and IV are also up there with Batman & Robin, theres a reason why Bryan Singer decided to totally ignore those two movies and just picked up where Superman II left off. Actually, I'd mention Superman Returns as well since I thought it was terrible. I know a lot of Superman fans who enjoyed it though so I'll leave it alone.

Then theres Craptastic Four, Elektra (I liked this movie but a million people hated it so...yeah), Catwoman, Hellboy, The Incredible Hulk. Daredevil is right in the neutral zone with stuff like Spawn or The Punisher.

If you can't tell by now, yes, I'm a huge comic book geek. Marvel>>>>>DC!

Daredevil wasn't a bad comic book movie if you look at others. First one to point out: Batman & Robin. Joel Schumacher almost single-handedly killed the Batman franchise with this movie. Batman Forever wasn't great either (Val Kilmer was a terrible choice for Batman. I did enjoy Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey in it though, they saved it from being what Batman & Robin was).

However, if it weren't for Batman & Robin, there never would've been a need for Batman Begins which pretty much blows every other Batman movie out of the water. Christian Bale nailed the torment of the character. Superman III and IV are also up there with Batman & Robin, theres a reason why Bryan Singer decided to totally ignore those two movies and just picked up where Superman II left off. Actually, I'd mention Superman Returns as well since I thought it was terrible. I know a lot of Superman fans who enjoyed it though so I'll leave it alone.

Then theres Craptastic Four, Elektra (I liked this movie but a million people hated it so...yeah), Catwoman, Hellboy, The Incredible Hulk. Daredevil is right in the neutral zone with stuff like Spawn or The Punisher.

If you can't tell by now, yes, I'm a huge comic book geek. Marvel>>>>>DC!

Agree on this... Tim Burton's batman will always remain the best... Christian Bale is a nice Batman too...

One of my friend suggested me Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Any comments before i pay for this ?

Edited by JoeLassister

Christian Bale>>>>>Michael Keaton. Batman isn't a smarmy rich guy, he's a tortured soul with a horrible past. Tim Burton's first film was great but then he took the second one way too far into the darkside. Schumacher's were far too shiny and over the top. Nolan got it perfect.

It's definitely worth seeing. I thought it was kinda original.

Besides... it's the movie that made Vinny Jones a movie star. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Just saw Departed again yesterday, its officially top 5 alltime for me. All-star cast and a really intriguing storyline.

This is a remake of a Honk Kong movie called Internal Affairs. This one was nice too.

This is a remake of a Honk Kong movie called Internal Affairs. This one was nice too.

i didnt know there was irish mobsters in hong kong!

Edited by habs_in_the_blood

Just saw Departed again yesterday, its officially top 5 alltime for me. All-star cast and a really intriguing storyline.

just rent it today, can't wait to watch it.

I posted this only a couple pages back in this thread, on the topic of The Departed.

Sounds like it's a pretty straighforward remake of Internal Affairs. IA definitely wasn't the best movie ever made, and you know, I can't really tell whether Hong Kong flicks should be taken seriously or not. I choose not to take IA seriously. There are a lot of flaws in it. Especially one scene was nothing but a steal of a scene from John Woo's Face Off (his first Hollywood movie I think).

I recently saw one of Woo's earliest movies too, The Killer. It starred Chow Yun-Fat, whom you all know from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I htink it was from the late 80's or something like that. Felt like Leathal Weapon Hong Kong style - a description that fits Internal Affairs as well.

It was by no means a great movie, but like I said before, I think you make a mistake if you take these films too seriously. It's action movies, you're not supposed to analyze them, just sit back with a bag of popcorn and let your brain relax for an hour or two. They're rarely original, as long as a certain amount of cars get blown up, a decent amount of people are shot to pieces and there are some catchty one-liners thrown out by the hero and the bad guy, well, that's about what one should expect from an action movie. ;)

I watched Seven tonight. AWESOME movie. I also have Scarface and City of God rented so I'll get to those in the next few days. I also rewatched Pleasantville yesterday. It'd been a while since I'd last seen it.