Movies

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Kurosawa. All I've seen are Seven Samurai and Drunken Angel but I'm going to try and see everything else before the year is over.

The long, annoying hunt for Captain America ended yesterday with Chris Evans getting the part. Good choice considering the other mofos they were looking at, I just hate when guys play more then one superhero. Leading lady for Captain America is supposedly between Alice Eve, Emily Blunt and Keira Knightley (OMFG). Hugo Weaving is in talks to play Red Skull. This also puts the cast of The Avengers at Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr., Ed Norton, Samuel L Jackson and Scarlett Johansson. Thats not a bad cast, actually.

And normally I wouldn't say anything about these movies but this pairing seems odd. John Malkovich and Frances McDormand have joined the cast of Transformers 3. o_O

cast of The Avengers ...Samuel L Jackson

And normally I wouldn't say anything about these movies but this pairing seems odd. John Malkovich and Frances McDormand have joined the cast of Transformers 3. o_O

1. Will Jackson do his usual and have that monologue rampage? LOL Could be very amusing in the Avengers situation. Maybe he should quote Ezekiel there as well. THAT would be funny.

2. Malkovich? Transformers 3 is officially a winner.

1. Will Jackson do his usual and have that monologue rampage? LOL Could be very amusing in the Avengers situation. Maybe he should quote Ezekiel there as well. THAT would be funny.

2. Malkovich? Transformers 3 is officially a winner.

1. I've thought of that too. I'd love to see The Avengers completely screw up a mission early in the movie as they're still trying to find their teamwork and Nick Fury goes crazy on them for a solid 5 minutes. Jackson would own it.

2. I thought of you when I read that, lol. I guess he's Labeefuguouf's boss or something.

1. I've thought of that too. I'd love to see The Avengers completely screw up a mission early in the movie as they're still trying to find their teamwork and Nick Fury goes crazy on them for a solid 5 minutes. Jackson would own it.

2. I thought of you when I read that, lol. I guess he's Labeefuguouf's boss or something.

1. Stark, SAY WHAT AGAIN MOTHER$(#$&(%#$!

2. Malkovich will cancel out all the Shia pet's ... Shia-ness.

TCM is playing Stray Dog in an hour and a half!

Ah, Kurosawa. All I've seen are Seven Samurai and Drunken Angel but I'm going to try and see everything else before the year is over.

You realize that that's like 30 movies, right? Even I'm not trying to see ALL of his movies within such a relatively short span.

I would just eliminate all the ones made before Drunken Angel (which is on TV right now, coincidentally). Of his classics, the most important ones for you to see are Ran, Rashomon and Yojimbo (if you've seen A Fistful of Dollars, that film was a total rip off of this better movie) but I think his best movie is High and Low, the perfect crime film.

Anyway, stuff I've seen recently:

Story of a Prostitute - Seijun Suzuki

The Burmese Harp - Kon Ichikawa

The Chinese Connection - Lo Wei

Fanboys - Kyle Newman

Lots of dadaist/avant-garde short films by Man Ray, Stan Brakhage, Kenneth Anger, ...

1. Stark, SAY WHAT AGAIN MOTHER$(#$&(%#$!

2. Malkovich will cancel out all the Shia pet's ... Shia-ness.

Have at thee! For Asgard!

Thor! English motherf*cker, do you speak it!?

For sooth, Fury! I speak thy olde english.

Back to Evans for a sec, Brubaker posted on his twitter that he's happy with him as Cap. Brubaker is one guy that really knows that character so if he's happy then I'm happy.

You realize that that's like 30 movies, right? Even I'm not trying to see ALL of his movies within such a relatively short span.

I would just eliminate all the ones made before Drunken Angel (which is on TV right now, coincidentally). Of his classics, the most important ones for you to see are Ran, Rashomon and Yojimbo (if you've seen A Fistful of Dollars, that film was a total rip off of this better movie) but I think his best movie is High and Low, the perfect crime film.

Yeah, I know how many there are. End of the year is still 9 months away, I could probably get it done before the summer if I really wanted to. Thanks for the advice, I was actually going to start with Ran. Was reading a couple lists last night about his most important movies and it caught my eye. Rashomon did too, actually.

Speaking of which, a happy 100th birthday to Kurosawa. Can you still wish the deceased a happy birthday? Or is it like Harry Potter where it switches to their deathday?. :P

Anyway, stuff I've seen recently:

Fanboys - Kyle Newman

I hated this movie. A lot.

Mostly because of that bearded guy they tried way too hard to turn into a Jonah Hill-type character.

Yeah, I know how many there are. End of the year is still 9 months away, I could probably get it done before the summer if I really wanted to. Thanks for the advice, I was actually going to start with Ran. Was reading a couple lists last night about his most important movies and it caught my eye. Rashomon did too, actually.

Speaking of which, a happy 100th birthday to Kurosawa. Can you still wish the deceased a happy birthday? Or is it like Harry Potter where it switches to their deathday?. :P

I hated this movie. A lot.

Mostly because of that bearded guy they tried way too hard to turn into a Jonah Hill-type character.

It's definitely doable but it's tough to find some of his films. Especially with a guy like Kurosawa who pretty much made nothing but classics once he hit his stride.

Ran is arguably his best movie but not the most accessible film ever. Like I said, Rashomon, Yojimbo and High and Low are the easiest to enjoy, from what I've seen so far.

Yeah, it's his 100th birthday, that's why TCM's having the marathon.

Supposedly Fanboys was bad (/nothing special - I liked it) because it was butchered by the Weinsteins.

Not sure how to feel about Shutter Island. Good movie but it felt a bit wrong to me.

I got the feeling that Scorsese was compromising or was forced to compromise (I know he had some problems dealing with the Weinstein brothers) in all of the surrealistic scenes. The scenes felt restrained - I felt like he wanted to go more all-out like some of his relatively obscure idols, but was forced to stick to something mainstream audiences would enjoy.

I also wasn't really a fan of the ending being so conclusive. Not that I know 100% of what went on. I don't understand everything but it seems pretty clear that

he was in fact crazy.

And that kind of kills it. I wish it were more ambiguous.

Verdict: Good but I would have enjoyed this way more had Scorsese had total creative control.

Not sure how to feel about Shutter Island. Good movie but it felt a bit wrong to me.

I got the feeling that Scorsese was compromising or was forced to compromise (I know he had some problems dealing with the Weinstein brothers) in all of the surrealistic scenes. The scenes felt restrained - I felt like he wanted to go more all-out like some of his relatively obscure idols, but was forced to stick to something mainstream audiences would enjoy.

I also wasn't really a fan of the ending being so conclusive. Not that I know 100% of what went on. I don't understand everything but it seems pretty clear that

he was in fact crazy.

And that kind of kills it. I wish it were more ambiguous.

Verdict: Good but I would have enjoyed this way more had Scorsese had total creative control.

Yeh, I enjoyed it up until the point that you find out

that he's psychotic

. I was entertaining numerous theories up until that point, and was disappointed that they took (for me) the easy way out. I still enjoyed the movie overall though.

Watched Che part one with Benicio Del Toro last night. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward for part two in 2-3 days I guess...

Che totally bombed at the box office but it will be one of the most famous movies of 08 in a few years.

Che totally bombed at the box office but it will be one of the most famous movies of 08 in a few years.

Went to see Diarios de motocicleta (The Motorcycle Diaries) a few years ago and enjoyed it as well.

I'm trying to discover more and more about South American cinema. Over the years, I watched some Alejandro González Iñárritu and Alfonso Cuaron classic/popular movies as well as Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth and Juan Antonio Bayona's The Orphanage.

I like Guillermo Del Toro but he's more like John Wu and direct international/american movies. I will certainly enjoy the two The Hobbit movies as well...

Went to see Diarios de motocicleta (The Motorcycle Diaries) a few years ago and enjoyed it as well.

I'm trying to discover more and more about South American cinema. Over the years, I watched some Alejandro González Iñárritu and Alfonso Cuaron classic/popular movies as well as Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth and Juan Antonio Bayona's The Orphanage.

I like Guillermo Del Toro but he's more like John Wu and direct international/american movies. I will certainly enjoy the two The Hobbit movies as well...

You consider Mexico a part of South America?

Gonzalez Iñarritu, Cuaron and Del Toro are the three main ones out of Mexico.

Have you seen City of God? It's a pretty famous movie from 02 by Fernando Meirelles about a photojournalist covering Brazilian gang violence. There was a sequel made recently called City of Men but I haven't seen it.

The only other South American that's jumping to my head is Alejandro Jodorowsky (from Chile) but I don't know if you'd like him. He's super surreal, avant-garde, messed up...

You consider Mexico a part of South America?

Gonzalez Iñarritu, Cuaron and Del Toro are the three main ones out of Mexico.

Have you seen City of God? It's a pretty famous movie from 02 by Fernando Meirelles about a photojournalist covering Brazilian gang violence. There was a sequel made recently called City of Men but I haven't seen it.

The only other South American that's jumping to my head is Alejandro Jodorowsky (from Chile) but I don't know if you'd like him. He's super surreal, avant-garde, messed up...

No I don't consider Mexico as part of SA. But I consider any movie shot in Spanish as is. My bad, didn't look for their nationalities.

No I don't consider Mexico as part of SA. But I consider any movie shot in Spanish as is. My bad, didn't look for their nationalities.

Ah! If you're including Spain, one of my favourite filmmakers of all time is Luis Buñuel - he's awesome! He's perhaps best known for his attacks on the bourgeoisie and the Church/religion. There's also Pedro Almodovar who's really well-known, often works with Penelope Cruz. They made a movie together last year called Broken Embraces. He makes mostly melodramas and some crime.

& I saw a Spanish movie once called Death of a Cyclist by Juan Antonio Bardem. Pretty good but it's old school and black-and-white so I don't know how you feel about that.

I don't remember the last time I went here, so sorry if I've posted this before.

Tuesday last week I recorded a very interesting documentary on a Swedish channel, and another interesting one yesterday. I wonder if they have a theme on wacky people or something cause it can't be a coincidence they're showing these docs one after the other. ;)

The first one was Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man, about Tim Treadwell who spent 13 summers in Alaska interacting with bears. In 2003 he and his girlfriend were killed and partially eaten by a bear.

The other one was The King of Kong. This is about two people competing for the Donkey Kong high score. Billy Mitchell set a world record in 1982, now Steve Wiebe is trying to break that record. A fierce and bitter fight ensues. A must-see for gaming freaks and psychology majors everywhere.

Two different but in its own right very interesting documentaries that I would strongly recommend.

I've seen Grizzly Man, it was fascinating. I'm a huge animal lover but that guy was a little bit nuts. I'll go with a few movie notes I have off the top of my head.

- I have no faith that The Avengers will be good anymore. Joss Whedon has signed on as director and is now rewriting the script. Ugh.

- The Good, The Bad, The Weird has a limited North American release next week. If it's playing near you, I'd highly recommend it. I saw it a couple years ago, it's a Korean made western. The title gives you a good indication of what it's paying homage to but it's also quirky in it's own right.

- Kick-Ass opens in two days. It's already out in Europe, I've yet to hear anything bad about it. If it follows the comic book as closely as they say, I'm betting it falls apart a bit towards the end but it's still supposedly really good. Only knock on it is the conservatives complaining about Hit Girl but thats a big whatever on it's own.

WATCH Scorsese's early docs.

Both Italianamerican (50 minutes) and American Boy (60 minutes) can be found on youtube. Basically, you're just hanging out with characters as they talk. So easy to watch.

I've seen Grizzly Man, it was fascinating. I'm a huge animal lover but that guy was a little bit nuts. I'll go with a few movie notes I have off the top of my head.

- I have no faith that The Avengers will be good anymore. Joss Whedon has signed on as director and is now rewriting the script. Ugh.

- The Good, The Bad, The Weird has a limited North American release next week. If it's playing near you, I'd highly recommend it. I saw it a couple years ago, it's a Korean made western. The title gives you a good indication of what it's paying homage to but it's also quirky in it's own right.

- Kick-Ass opens in two days. It's already out in Europe, I've yet to hear anything bad about it. If it follows the comic book as closely as they say, I'm betting it falls apart a bit towards the end but it's still supposedly really good. Only knock on it is the conservatives complaining about Hit Girl but thats a big whatever on it's own.

I have a 2 persons free pass for Kick Ass Premiere tonight. But don't expect me to go there :

1. It is in french.

2. The Habs play at the very same time.

3. I work. :puke:

A little? The guy was a frikken nutcase. A walking disaster waiting to happen.

I don't remember the last time I went here, so sorry if I've posted this before.

Tuesday last week I recorded a very interesting documentary on a Swedish channel, and another interesting one yesterday. I wonder if they have a theme on wacky people or something cause it can't be a coincidence they're showing these docs one after the other. ;)

The first one was Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man, about Tim Treadwell who spent 13 summers in Alaska interacting with bears. In 2003 he and his girlfriend were killed and partially eaten by a bear.

The other one was The King of Kong. This is about two people competing for the Donkey Kong high score. Billy Mitchell set a world record in 1982, now Steve Wiebe is trying to break that record. A fierce and bitter fight ensues. A must-see for gaming freaks and psychology majors everywhere.

Two different but in its own right very interesting documentaries that I would strongly recommend.

If you liked Grizzly man, check out Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, all about Antarctica and the researchers who live there.

I have a 2 persons free pass for Kick Ass Premiere tonight. But don't expect me to go there :

1. It is in french.

2. The Habs play at the very same time.

3. I work. :puke:

Yeah, I leave for BC tonight until Tuesday for some work so I won't be able to see it this weekend at all. Kinda sucks because I've been waiting forever.

A little? The guy was a frikken nutcase. A walking disaster waiting to happen.

Well it's been quite a while since I saw it but I seem to remember liking what the guy was doing at first and then he kind of slowly devolved as the movie went on. He was clearly insane though.