Movies

habs_in_the_blood

:P

You put your argument in spoiler tags and then expected me to read it?

Considering you're the one who brought up one of the specific argument that hard-core trekkies had, it seemed apparent you weren't worried about spoilers. I guess I didn't I didn't say it very clearly, but nothing in my spoiler tags will ruin anything for someone who is already aware of that particular bone of contention.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Evil Dead - Sam Raimi

:lol::clap:

My friend has the 2nd and 3rd one too. They're apparently even better.

Shrek 2. Shrek 3. The Austin Powers series. There are plenty of other follow-ups that are brilliant. Let' not go overboard castigating sequels.

Shrek 2. Shrek 3. The Austin Powers series. There are plenty of other follow-ups that are brilliant. Let' not go overboard castigating sequels.

Like 10% of sequels and remakes add something to the original (see: The Godfather: Part II, Aliens, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, The Dark Knight). The majority just exploit it for more money. I didn't say that they should be banned - but that there are far too many of them, most of them being failures. And they can hurt the original film. The Pink Panther was once a classic series, now people think of Steve Martin. The originals still exist but they've been relegated to obscurity and the series as a whole becomes tainted. Pirates of the Caribbean too. The first one was taken seriously when it first came out, now not so much.

Where is the creativity? There aren't nearly enough new and fresh stories.

Like 10% of sequels and remakes add something to the original (see: The Godfather: Part II, Aliens, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, The Dark Knight). The majority just exploit it for more money. I didn't say that they should be banned - but that there are far too many of them, most of them being failures. And they can hurt the original film. The Pink Panther was once a classic series, now people think of Steve Martin. The originals still exist but they've been relegated to obscurity and the series as a whole becomes tainted. Pirates of the Caribbean too. The first one was taken seriously when it first came out, now not so much.

Where is the creativity? There aren't nearly enough new and fresh stories.

Agreed all I gotta say is Speed 2.

They are also coming out with Titanic 2: The Resurrection. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK_Jv4RIzpU

Edited by goalerexpert86

I watched Dave Chapelle's Block Party yesterday.

So good that I bought it today...

I would never have thought that I would buy a concert movie in my life.

WOW !!!!

Never thought a movie that is a 50% documentary - 50% concert would crack my top 10 !!!

Chapeau Dave Chapelle and cie.

Never been a big fan of westerns but I watched "Unforgiven" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" yesterday. Both are very good movies but I think it will be along time before I pop them into my DVD player again.

TGTB&TU is one of my favourites. :clap:

I've seen Jurassic Park 2 and 3 and Back to the Future 2 and 3 and Jaws 2-infinity and Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 and The Godfather 3 and Star Wars Episodes 1 and 2 and Alien: Resurrection etc, etc, etc... not to mention the remakes of classics like 3:10 to Yuma and Psycho.

They're purely cash grabs. Why should they put any effort into it when they're going to make money no matter how bad it is? Tossing 60M at Johnny Depp and calling it Pirates of the Caribbean is all they had to do to make a profit on Pirates 4. There's no more work necessary.

No no, you're missing what I said. I agree most sequels are a cash grab. This recent Terminator movie is the first of a new trilogy. I mean, why? Why do we need 6 Terminator movies? Should've stopped at 2 while they were at the top.

I was just saying you can't bag on a movie that is only in it's infantile stages. Bill Murray agreeing to come back and is an insanely good sign. He wasn't happy with GB2 and said he would only come back if he loved the script. It took a reaaallly long time but he finally read a script he liked (he also wanted Ernie Hudson to get equal screentime to the other 3)

I'm not guarnanteeing it'll be great or anything, Ghostbusters 2 can't even compare to the first one. The signs are good and it is exciting though.

On the topic of sequels, I'm pretty sure in every Marvel franchise, the sequel is better then the first one. Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, The Incredible Hulk. Hell, even Fantastic Four 2. Although I could've filmed a pile of garbage for 2 hours and it still would've been better then Fantastic Four so thats not saying much. The sequel was just garbage that didn't smell as bad. And included the Silver Surfer. It's gonna be tough to top Iron Man though, I hope they can do it.

The Evil Dead - Sam Raimi

:lol::clap:

My friend has the 2nd and 3rd one too. They're apparently even better.

Army of Darkness (3rd one) is my favourite.

I'm actually surprised you haven't seen The Evil Dead series Bitton, seems like something you would've seen a while ago.

Rented Punch-Drunk Love, Out of Africa and To Catch a Thief. I opened the case for PDL and all I've got are the bonus materials. :angry:

No no, you're missing what I said. I agree most sequels are a cash grab. This recent Terminator movie is the first of a new trilogy. I mean, why? Why do we need 6 Terminator movies? Should've stopped at 2 while they were at the top.

I was just saying you can't bag on a movie that is only in it's infantile stages. Bill Murray agreeing to come back and is an insanely good sign. He wasn't happy with GB2 and said he would only come back if he loved the script. It took a reaaallly long time but he finally read a script he liked (he also wanted Ernie Hudson to get equal screentime to the other 3)

I'm not guarnanteeing it'll be great or anything, Ghostbusters 2 can't even compare to the first one. The signs are good and it is exciting though.

On the topic of sequels, I'm pretty sure in every Marvel franchise, the sequel is better then the first one. Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, The Incredible Hulk. Hell, even Fantastic Four 2. Although I could've filmed a pile of garbage for 2 hours and it still would've been better then Fantastic Four so thats not saying much. The sequel was just garbage that didn't smell as bad. And included the Silver Surfer. It's gonna be tough to top Iron Man though, I hope they can do it.

My post said "Fuçk you, Hollywood," not "Fuçk you, GB3." I don't really care about the movie. Wait for the coming summers when the leading films are Terminator 5, The Evil Dead 4, Spider Man 4, Harry Potter 6, Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Ghost Busters 3, Batman 3, Iron Man 2, ...

Comic book movies are getting better because technology is getting better. Not to mention, fans of the original material have grown up and people that actually care about the source material are working on them. It really makes all the difference. It's why virtually nobody could have done a better job than Peter Jackson on LotR even if they were more talented.

Fantastic Four was just the worst movie I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. A boring superhero movie. What?

Army of Darkness (3rd one) is my favourite.

I'm actually surprised you haven't seen The Evil Dead series Bitton, seems like something you would've seen a while ago.

Why is it something I would have seen? Because it's classic? When I was younger, I totally avoided horror movies. There's no way I could have enjoyed this five years ago.

I think we're watching The Evil Dead 2 (supposedly the best) tomorrow so I'm pumped for that because I loved the first one.

What sucks is that my friends went to see Up and Drag Me to Hell but I couldn't go with them so I'll likely be waiting a while before I see them.

What sucks is that my friends went to see Up and Drag Me to Hell but I couldn't go with them so I'll likely be waiting a while before I see them.

Find a girl...

My post said "Fuçk you, Hollywood," not "Fuçk you, GB3." I don't really care about the movie. Wait for the coming summers when the leading films are Terminator 5, The Evil Dead 4, Spider Man 4, Harry Potter 6, Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Ghost Busters 3, Batman 3, Iron Man 2, ...

Toy Story 3, Cars 2 etc etc. It's the summer, the one time of the year you just turn your brain off when you go into the theater. People want a spectacle this time of the year, not something that makes them think. Thats why Hollywood can get away with it. Some still have a shot at actually being pretty good though. SM4 for example, Raimi has been given full creative control again so theres hope for it. Studio interference (aka Venom) ruined SM3.

Comic book movies are getting better because technology is getting better. Not to mention, fans of the original material have grown up and people that actually care about the source material are working on them. It really makes all the difference. It's why virtually nobody could have done a better job than Peter Jackson on LotR even if they were more talented.

I think I've noted this in the past. A great example is Iron Man, RDJ was a huge Iron Man fan growing up and thats why he managed to play Tony Stark perfectly. He absolutely nailed the role. Theres much more care being put into these films these days so we're getting Ed Nortons instead of Ben Afflecks. Breath of fresh air as a comic book fan.

Fantastic Four was just the worst movie I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. A boring superhero movie. What?

I was so pissed off when I came home opening day that I spent the summer writing my own F4 script. It got lost in one of my many computer misfortunes though. I don't get how you turn Dr.Doom into the lamest villain ever though. I hated it more then Batman And Robin.

Why is it something I would have seen? Because it's classic? When I was younger, I totally avoided horror movies. There's no way I could have enjoyed this five years ago.

Yeah, it has that big cult classic tag on it. Not trying to criticize, just something I found curious.

I loved Up so much! Pixar just can't even miss anymore. Cars is nothing more then a hiccup now (too bad theres a sequel). Crazy to think they came up with these ideas all at once.

The Shining pretty much ruined me for all other horror movies afterwards.

In what way? As in it was so good/scary that no horror movie can do it for you anymore?

Definitely my favourite horror movie.

Up was incredible, it worked well on so many levels and is one of the better movies ive seen in the past 2-3 years.

In what way? As in it was so good/scary that no horror movie can do it for you anymore?

Definitely my favourite horror movie.

I was wondering the same thing. It's my favourite horror too.

Up was incredible, it worked well on so many levels and is one of the better movies ive seen in the past 2-3 years.

Jon Favreau said it best with "It's about time Pixar was getting something nominated for Best Picture". Any of their last 3 movies deserve the recognition IMO.

I really want to see what crowd Toy Story 3 will get. 10 year olds who weren't alive when the second one was out or 20 year olds who have the first two as some of their best childhood moments? Still remember my mom skipping work one day a week before Christmas to take my sister and me to see the first one. It's 14 years old now, that makes me feel old.

Jon Favreau said it best with "It's about time Pixar was getting something nominated for Best Picture". Any of their last 3 movies deserve the recognition IMO.

I really want to see what crowd Toy Story 3 will get. 10 year olds who weren't alive when the second one was out or 20 year olds who have the first two as some of their best childhood moments? Still remember my mom skipping work one day a week before Christmas to take my sister and me to see the first one. It's 14 years old now, that makes me feel old.

I really loved the 1rst Toy Story, barely remember the 2nd one. I don't think that I'll watch the 3rd unless I'd be babysitting my little sisters in law (8yo).

Can't wait for the next Andrew Stanton (Wall-E)'s movie though : John Carter of Mars (2012).

Edited by JoeLassister

I really loved the 1rst Toy Story, barely remember the 2nd one. I don't think that I'll watch the 3rd unless I'd be babysitting my little sisters in law (8yo).

Can't wait for the next Andrew Stanton (Wall-E)'s movie though : John Carter of Mars (2012).

The 2nd one was when Woody was stolen from a garage sale by some collector guy and he met the rest of the characters from his old TV show. He's amazed to find out he was popular in the 50s. Then of course Buzz and the other toys come to save him.

Most people consider it Pixar's best movie.

Second time typing this.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Andrew Dominik

Out of Africa - Sydney Pollack

Monsters Vs Aliens - Rob Letterman

The Incredibles - Brad Bird

Bed and Board - Francois Truffaut

Tell No One - Guillaume Canet

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - Johnathan Mostrow

Coffy - Jack Hill

Punch Drunk Love - Paul Thomas Anderson

Internal Affairs - Mike Figgis

Get Smart - Peter Segal

To Catch A Thief - Alfred Hitchcock

I bought Road to Perdition (excited to see this) and Once Upon a Time in the West (already seen it) for 5$ each at Wal-Mart.