Foreign Correspondent - Alfred Hitchcock

Hotel Rwanda - Terry George

Strike - Sergei Eisenstein

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like what?

Transformers had the most basic plot ever. You don't really go to see a movie about giant alien robots for the storytelling anyway.

So stoked for the sequel. Constructicons have been added, Soundwave and Ravage are with the Decepticons and we get to see a giant CGI version of The Fallen. And Megan Fox gets to be sexy some more.

Like Leboeuf going from being a loser to be a world savior in like 24 hours. The glasses get lost on the ground and found buy the right person in the next scene, that's BS. There are so many, I can't think of them all right now.

Foreign Correspondent - Alfred Hitchcock

Hotel Rwanda - Terry George

Strike - Sergei Eisenstein

Ooh, that's awesome! I'd love to get my hands on some Eisenstein material. You'd think it'd be easy considering how close Sweden is to Mother Russia, and yet, no dice. :P

;)

From 2:45 AM-7:45 AM I've been watching:

Planet Terror - Robert Rodriguez

Deathproof - Quentin Tarantino

Be Kind Rewind - Michel Gondry

Ooh, that's awesome! I'd love to get my hands on some Eisenstein material. You'd think it'd be easy considering how close Sweden is to Mother Russia, and yet, no dice. :P

;)

lol

It's the second I've seen of him, after The Battleship Potemkin. You can watch some of his movies online.

I totally loved Planet Terror and never seen Deathproof though. How is it ?

Totally different from Planet Terror. I didn't like that. They had the whole old-fashioned, low budget, grindhouse theme going on and both movies had totally different paces, film stocks, moods, ... I watched the Grindhouse package, so both of them together with the fake previews. They go through all the trouble of giving it a certain feel, Planet Terror seems to go with it perfectly, and then Death Proof goes in a whole other direction. That being said, apparently Death Proof is far more like a real Grindhouse film than Planet Terror was (and I believe that, I bet QT has seen dozens of them) but it doesn't really matter because it still feels so out of place.

The story's about these idiotic, annoying girls who talk about girl things the whole movie (boyfriends, blowing people) while some guy named Stuntman Mike has a "death proof" car that he uses to run people over and kill. The idiotic, annoying girls decide to have fun and let Zoe Bell lie on the hood of the car while they race down the street... and then the killer comes after them! It isn't a bad movie (it's definitely more "high brow" and better made than Planet Terror) but it IMO it was a huge bust given the Grindhouse context. Maybe if you just watch it on it's own, it's better.

Hey Colin, I didn't notice at the time when I brought up Loki being casted on MSN but apparently Thor has been cast now as well. Another relative unknown, unless you're Australian. Guy named Chris Hemsworth, he played Kirk's dad in Star Trek and thats basically the only place anyone state-side has seen him.

Cap is being close to cast as well. The big rumor machine is behind Chris Pine (who I'd like) but theres also Channing Tatum (no thanks), Josh Holloway (would've been a fantastic Gambit. Not a good Cap) and then that Will Smith rumor is still hanging around even though he and Marvel have both denied it.

Oh, and I was wrong when I said they were thinking about Ghostbusters 3. Apparently it's official and shooting will start as soon as this winter. Everyone is back. Even Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis. So excited.

Hey Colin, I didn't notice at the time when I brought up Loki being casted on MSN but apparently Thor has been cast now as well. Another relative unknown, unless you're Australian. Guy named Chris Hemsworth, he played Kirk's dad in Star Trek and thats basically the only place anyone state-side has seen him.

Cap is being close to cast as well. The big rumor machine is behind Chris Pine (who I'd like) but theres also Channing Tatum (no thanks), Josh Holloway (would've been a fantastic Gambit. Not a good Cap) and then that Will Smith rumor is still hanging around even though he and Marvel have both denied it.

Oh, and I was wrong when I said they were thinking about Ghostbusters 3. Apparently it's official and shooting will start as soon as this winter. Everyone is back. Even Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis. So excited.

:clap::clap::clap:

YAY!!!!!!!!!

I even like the GB 3 game trailer on PS3, could be very cool!

:clap::clap::clap:

YAY!!!!!!!!!

I even like the GB 3 game trailer on PS3, could be very cool!

Yeah, the game itself was considered to be Ghostbusters 3 for a while because they didn't think they could get a movie off the ground but now things are starting to happen. It's gonna be a "passing off the torch" movie, so we'll end up with new, younger Ghostbusters too. Dan Akyroyd said he'd like Alyssa Milano (she did a voice for the game) and Eliza Dushku to be new Ghostbusters.

@Hollywood: ###### you and your sequels. If anything, you're just stripping classics franchises like Indiana Jones and Ghost Busters of credibility. Although Star Trek apparently totally shits on fans of the original series, it is being liked by mainstream audiences for the first time in a looong time so I can't say ST has lost credibility.

@Hollywood: ###### you and your sequels. If anything, you're just stripping classics franchises like Indiana Jones and Ghost Busters of credibility. Although Star Trek apparently totally shits on fans of the original series, it is being liked by mainstream audiences for the first time in a looong time so I can't say ST has lost credibility.

Oh, you saw Ghostbusters 3? Sweet, how was it?

Although Star Trek apparently totally shits on fans of the original series, it is being liked by mainstream audiences for the first time in a looong time so I can't say ST has lost credibility.

I've seen every episode of 4 different Star Trek series and all 10 movies. I had tons of Star Trek toys as a kid and have a bunch of the Hallmark Christmas ornaments. The movie absolutely does not shit on trekkies. The trekkies who feel shat upon are the same ones who hate Star Wars just because it isn't Star Trek, or the ones who can speak Klingon. Fans of the originals who are not completely obsessed with Trek are mostly loving it. I've seen it twice and will likely see it again once it hits the dollar theatre.

I've seen every episode of 4 different Star Trek series and all 10 movies. I had tons of Star Trek toys as a kid and have a bunch of the Hallmark Christmas ornaments. The movie absolutely does not shit on trekkies. The trekkies who feel shat upon are the same ones who hate Star Wars just because it isn't Star Trek, or the ones who can speak Klingon. Fans of the originals who are not completely obsessed with Trek are mostly loving it. I've seen it twice and will likely see it again once it hits the dollar theatre.

Although Star Trek apparently totally shits on fans of the original series, it is being liked by mainstream audiences for the first time in a looong time so I can't say ST has lost credibility.

Have you seen it yet even?

I watched Dave Chapelle's Block Party yesterday.

So good that I bought it today...

I would never have thought that I would buy a concert movie in my life.

Oh, you saw Ghostbusters 3? Sweet, how was it?

I've seen Jurassic Park 2 and 3 and Back to the Future 2 and 3 and Jaws 2-infinity and Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 and The Godfather 3 and Star Wars Episodes 1 and 2 and Alien: Resurrection etc, etc, etc... not to mention the remakes of classics like 3:10 to Yuma and Psycho.

They're purely cash grabs. Why should they put any effort into it when they're going to make money no matter how bad it is? Tossing 60M at Johnny Depp and calling it Pirates of the Caribbean is all they had to do to make a profit on Pirates 4. There's no more work necessary.

Fanpuck, I read tons of complaints from people that didn't like that Abrams changed the accepted time travel laws of the series, which needed to be done to make his plot work. If I were a Star Trek fan, that would have bothered me too - but - you may have noticed I didn't place ST with the others because the series is as successful now has it's ever been, so props to them, I guess.

Fanpuck, I read tons of complaints from people that didn't like that Abrams changed the accepted time travel laws of the series, which needed to be done to make his plot work. If I were a Star Trek fan, that would have bothered me too - but - you may have noticed I didn't place ST with the others because the series is as successful now has it's ever been, so props to them, I guess.

*sighs* I've seen every episode of four of the series and all ten movies. I owned all sorts of Star Trek toys as a kid and I still have a shelf of memorabilia not 5 feet from where I am sitting. BTH, I am speaking as a Star Trek fan. The vast majority of people bitching about this movie are just pissed that they recast the characters and made a movie that was actually good.

Most of my post isn't spoiler rich, but I'll play it safe. I loved it so much, I don't want anyone to read something here that might affect their enjoyment of the movie.

As for the time travel "controversy," it's totally BS. There are many different theories on time travel, and only one type has been used on Star Trek before. So far, we've always seen them go back and then return to the future. The things they've done in the past haven't affect their future. Why, however, should Star Trek fans assume this is the only theory on time travel that works? Why on earth assume that something can happen only one way? Just because we've never seen the birth of a separate time-line doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Perhaps the destruction of the Kelvin was a big enough change to break off from the original time-line.

The more I think about it, the more ways I can explain what happened in the movie without erasing anything already shown in Star Trek. I have at least two other ideas. The first is that every time they've gone back in time in Star Trek, they HAVE created an alternate time-line, but we just haven't been aware of it. Since the characters have always returned to their own place in the time-space continuum, we don't know if they've created a new time-line or not. Perhaps Scotty inventing transparent aluminum before it's time changed things significantly. Perhaps when they see a Borg-infested Earth while chasing the Borg through time, they aren't seeing their OWN present day changed, but present day in the time-line started by the Borg attack on Zephram Cochrane's settlement. This new Star Trek is the first time they have stayed in the past, so perhaps we are simply seeing for the first time an alternate reality created by time travel.

Another theory is that Nero and Spock went back in time, to an alternate universe as well. It is well established that other universes exist in Star Trek, as shown by the mirror universe. Why assume only one such universe exists? Perhaps the black hole sucked them through both time and space to the past of such a universe.

It really is funny how hardcore trekkies complain about this movie not having enough thought to it. The time travel topic alone is a source of great debate and I've thought more about time travel since I've seen the movie than I ever have before. All you need to enjoy this movie as a trekkie is an open mind, one that is open to new ideas. That is what Trek has always been about.

I'll probably see Star Trek this week. But I haven't seen any of the original material so I wouldn't be able to judge whether they really did make annoying changes.

BUT - it's unfair to just write all the complaints as coming from brain-dead trekkies who speak Klingon. Some people feel that "their" favourite franchise was messed around with. If one of the HP movies (which suck anyway, but that's besides the point), say a mythical 8th movie based on no source material, changed magical laws from the books in order for its plot to work... that is significant and HP fans would have the right to complain.

BUT - it's unfair to just write all the complaints as coming from brain-dead trekkies who speak Klingon. Some people feel that "their" favourite franchise was messed around with. If one of the HP movies (which suck anyway, but that's besides the point), say a mythical 8th movie based on no source material, changed magical laws from the books in order for its plot to work... that is significant and HP fans would have the right to complain.

I never said anything about trekkies being brain dead. I'm pretty sure brain-dead people can't learn new languages. Perhaps you didn't read the stuff I had spoiler tags on since you haven't seen the movie yet, but I explained exactly why the time travel gripe is bogus. People complain that the movie didn't stay true to Trek's roots, but this is wrong as well. Gene Roddenberry's vision was one of being open to new ideas, and this movie brought just that.

My overall point is that the vast majority of people complaining about the movie weren't going to like it no matter how good or bad it was. I went into the movie expecting it to be an abomination to the name "Star Trek," but I had an open enough mind that when I walked out, I had a new addition to my top 3 Trek movies.

All that being said, I have a feeling you won't like it.