Only A Matter Of Time For Latendresse

dumpSamsonov

Well I could put a lot of things here now. Only a matter of time before he starts playing better. Only a matter of time before he becomes the power forward that the Habs have seeked for many years. BUT what I'm really trying to say is it's only a matter of time before Latendresse is sent back to juniors. I don't think he'll get the 10 games to keep him with the club this season. He's just not ready at this point. Perhaps it will start clicking for him soon but time is running out before they have to make a decision on him. This shows how skewed preseason stats are compared to the real thing, proving once again that preseason means nothing if you're looking to it as a predictor of what's to come.

not all players are patrice bergeron. I took many for spezza to come together, ditto thornton, lecavalier, p-m bouchard. marian hossa.

the guy as far more to learn staying on a 4th line with begin than being the star in drummondville.

he'll learn work ethic with the likes of koivu, begin, carbo, muller jarvis...

I think it would be a thuge mistake sending him back in junior.

Well I could put a lot of things here now. Only a matter of time before he starts playing better. Only a matter of time before he becomes the power forward that the Habs have seeked for many years. BUT what I'm really trying to say is it's only a matter of time before Latendresse is sent back to juniors. I don't think he'll get the 10 games to keep him with the club this season. He's just not ready at this point. Perhaps it will start clicking for him soon but time is running out before they have to make a decision on him. This shows how skewed preseason stats are compared to the real thing, proving once again that preseason means nothing if you're looking to it as a predictor of what's to come.

N'importe quoi...

Carbo said it: if we keep Guillaume, its for the entire season. What makes you think Carbo lied?

The plan is going on as planned: use Latendresse as a 4th liner and let him learn slowly but surely.

You're doing exactly what Carbo warned everybody when he decided to keep him: fans and medias will lose patience.

So predictable...

I could see Latendresse staying for the whole year, he just has to get used to the NHL

ITs amazing how peoples thoughts have now changed towards Latendresse. Everybody was so excited and thought this kid was going to come up score bunches of goals and run away with the calder, based on some meaningless exhibition games where teams are icing only half their regular NHL squads.

Now everyones opinion is that he should be returned to Jr., and go from there.

Of course he should have been returned to Jr. He never should have made this squad based on a few Exhibition games. The kid does not skate well enough to play in the NHL right now. Watch him play he's atleast a step behind. He has 1 bodycheck. One of the main reasons people wanted him in Montreal was for a physical presence. Well he can't skate fast enough to hit people.

He makes Jr type plays in the NHL, and that doesn't cut it. ITs not a knock on him, but he's playing against the best in the world now. He needs time to develop at the AHL level, but because he's not European he has to wait another year. Yes he will become a very good NHL'er one day in the future. But not now.

He needs more time to learn.

And why he got the maximum entry level contract is beyond me?? Hopefully they send him back to Jr., before its costs Montreal a year towards UFA eligibility.

But I guess Gainey, Carbonneau et al., were just trying to capture lightning in a bottle as well as the emotion of the french Canadien fans. Unfortunatley it has not worked. Thankfully it has not backfired either

Well said 'Markov and Komy' and 'Kozed' (but not so much for you kaos),

This is pure and simple a learning process year for Latendresse. He is playing of the fourth line, learning what it takes to play in the NHL, and above all else, he is learning what it means to be defensively responsible (something not many QMJHL players know coming straight out of that league).

The coaching staff, like the rest of us, sees the potential this guy has. That being said, the coaching staff does not hold the same expectations of that of most of the fans. All the staff wants to see is consistency, hustle and improvement, not necessarily a 20 or even 10 goal season.

In my opinion, he has not looked out of place on the fourth line.

Edited by Gman

Funny that people claim 8 preseason games wasn't a good way to judge Latendresse's NHL-readiness, but 5 regular season games is.

5 regular season games. Damn, if those 5 games was ultimate judgel, Rivet and Kovalev should be sent to juniors too because none of them has showed much.

Those who are dissapointed by Latendresse because they expected more of him only have themselves to blame. You had skewed expectations in the first place.

Carbo and Bob are in a much better position to know what to expect from Guillaume and much better judges of talent than any of us here. They kept him because they knew in that he could be an asset this season which, if I recall correctly, still has at least half-a-year to go...

I expect him to be with the team the whole season, and I also expect him only to round the corner, as it were, after the x-mas break ... a la Higgins. Latendress has a lot to learn, and he is in the right environment to learn it.

Sending him back to Jr. would stunt his growth, IMO.

last yr higgins got off to a really slow start, and eventually gained his ice time. all our rookies last yr had there spurts, perez started hot with koivu and kovalev, then midway was plekanec, the higgins stormed the rest of the season. I'm not expecting much from latendresse this yr, or next yr, yr three is where he will become what he will become. i like him gaining experience on the team, please tell me what he will learn in juniors? how to get more lazy?

I expect him to be with the team the whole season, and I also expect him only to round the corner, as it were, after the x-mas break ... a la Higgins. Latendress has a lot to learn, and he is in the right environment to learn it.

Sending him back to Jr. would stunt his growth, IMO.

Funny that people claim 8 preseason games wasn't a good way to judge Latendresse's NHL-readiness, but 5 regular season games is.

amen, kozed.

Carbonneau said to the media, if Lats is kept, it will be for the whole season. He WILL NOT send Lats back to the juniors because he doesn't want to hinder his developement. He needs to stick with the NHL pace and get used to it. Sending him down to the juniors to be the hero every year won't establish him as the NHL player he can be.

Let the guy get used to the pace and the skill level before we start threads like this.

For a guy like Latendresse who has the size and skill (the footspeed?), the only thing that really matters is if he keeps his nose to the grind and works out the kinks. A lot of the stuff that used to work for him in junior (while playing against boys) will not work when he's playing against grown men.

Maybe he'll respond to negative pressure placed on him by fans and the media (to develop the "I'll show them" attitude) or alternatively, he'll respond to positive encouragement. Just depends on what kind of guy he is.

Oh yeah.... and we gotta keep calling him BIG BROTHER.

Edited by zumpano21

I think that Gainey and Carb are doing exactly what they said they would do.

He is on the fourth line, I'm sure with limitations of things he can and can't do. For that reason alone he should not be judged nor should we expect anything crazy from him at all this year. I really don't think that the media or Habsworld.com threads are going to change that.

Gainey signed him to the maximum entry level contract, probably because he see's something special in Latendresse and comitted to keeping him around all year because he felt it would benefit the Montreal Canadiens not the emotion of french canadian fans.

He is exactly where he is supposed to be. Playing 10 mins a game with no pressure to hit, score, make a pretty play, block shots etc.........

Much like a kid learning to walk. The parents gradually let them go a little further everyday. Montreal Canadiens will sacrifice a year towards Free agancy and Latendresse will sacrifice the hope of a Calder trophy. Who cares anyway. If he is as good as we think he is, don't you think the HABS will PAY to keep him around.

It may not be the standard way for young NHL players to be developed, but I give kudos to Gainey and Carb for seeing something special in two pre-seasons and rewarding it so carefully and patiently. I can't wait to see him score his first goal.The entire Montreal bench will explode.

Oh, c'mon...someone with a user name of dumpSamsonov, and people are surprised by the gloom and doom comments about Latendresse. No shock there, it'll just be a wealth of posts all season regarding Habs players that should be waived, traded, or just sent out behind the barn. Sheesh.

Edited by huzer

Oh, c'mon...someone with a user name of dumpSamsonov, and people are surprised by the gloom and doom comments about Latendresse. No shock there, it'll just be a wealth of posts all season regarding Habs players that should be waived, traded, or just sent out behind the barn. Sheesh.

Hmmm...perhaps you need to learn how to understand what you are reading before making comments. There was no doom and gloom in my post. I was actually saying that I believed Latendresse would be a good hockey player someday but he just isn't ready yet. Perhaps you missed that point in your haste to try and tear me a new one. If Gainey wants to keep him around and let him learn that's fine but I hope it doesn't cost the team. The way things are so close in the standings these days, a few rookie mistakes could cost valuable points that could determine playoff fate but I'm sure Gainey is quite aware of that. What he does about it is yet to be determined. What Carbo says and Gainey does are two different things entirely.

Hmmm...perhaps you need to learn how to understand what you are reading before making comments. There was no doom and gloom in my post. I was actually saying that I believed Latendresse would be a good hockey player someday but he just isn't ready yet. Perhaps you missed that point in your haste to try and tear me a new one. If Gainey wants to keep him around and let him learn that's fine but I hope it doesn't cost the team. The way things are so close in the standings these days, a few rookie mistakes could cost valuable points that could determine playoff fate but I'm sure Gainey is quite aware of that. What he does about it is yet to be determined. What Carbo says and Gainey does are two different things entirely.

good thing we have optimistic fans here.....cuz they greatly overshadow ur foolish attempts at habs analysis

come to think of it, u should get a job as an analyst for TSN.

Also, u poo on some one and tell them to learn how to understand what they are reading before making comments..... Howbout u LEARN how NOT to be a hypocrit, and maybe LEARN how to UNDERSTAND to READ things, for example when carbo said if guy is staying with the team, he will be here ALL YEAR, before making ur expert analysis! :lol:

Lats is doing a great job so far on the fourth line.

Edited by umpalumpa55

good thing we have optimistic fans here.....cuz they greatly overshadow ur foolish attempts at habs analysis

come to think of it, u should get a job as an analyst for TSN.

Also, u poo on some one and tell them to learn how to understand what they are reading before making comments..... Howbout u LEARN how NOT to be a hypocrit, and maybe LEARN how to UNDERSTAND to READ things, for example when carbo said if guy is staying with the team, he will be here ALL YEAR, before making ur expert analysis! :lol:

Lats is doing a great job so far on the fourth line.

Actually I am quite optimistic so you're wrong on that account. So according to you a team analysis is foolish if it isn't positive? :blink: :?- :wacko:

Let's not forget that Carbo is basically Gainey's employee. Gainey has to power to fire Carbo if he sees fit. It is not a level relationship, Gainey is his superior. Whatever Carbo says really doesn't matter if Gainey sees things a different way and for all you know maybe he does. Tell me where Gainey said that Latendresse is staying the whole season and then I'll believe you.

Ohhhh wait for it...

Who's gonna be the first one saying I'm suggesting Gainey fires Carbo... I know it's coming :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(EDITED BY SIMONUS: INNAPROPRIATE USE OF WHITESPACE)

Edited by simonus

What Carbo says and Gainey does are two different things entirely.

That's funny... I could swear that, right after Carbo said he'd keep Latendresse, Gainey inked him to a 3-years contract!

Hmmm... unless... unless... UNLESS they are taking these decisions together, like, they talk to each other before making decisions and agree on what to do. So... maybe they're not two different things entirely.

That's funny... I could swear that, right after Carbo said he'd keep Latendresse, Gainey inked him to a 3-years contract!

Hmmm... unless... unless... UNLESS they are taking these decisions together, like, they talk to each other before making decisions and agree on what to do. So... maybe they're not two different things entirely.

Hmmm signing him to a 3 year contract has what to do with him not going back to juniors? That suppose to mean he can't go back to juniors :lol:

So I guess by that rational a GM has to call the coach into the office and say " I was thinking maybe I should fire you but since we both have to feel the same way and discuss everything before I take any sort of action, I would like to ask you first if it's ok if I fire you" :lol::lol:

Really you're not thinking Kozed :P

He is 19 years old and playing on the 4th line. What exactly do you expect from him? To put up the same numbers as he did in junior? Why is everybody so focused on a rookie 4th liner? I don't get it. He has potential but you just can't expect him to be lighting it up this early. What do you want from the guy? He's not going to be one of our top scorers. His job right now is just to play physical and not embarass himself with the 10 or 12 minutes a game he plays. Stop expecting this guy to be friggin' Guy Lafleur!!

He is 19 years old and playing on the 4th line. What exactly do you expect from him? To put up the same numbers as he did in junior? Why is everybody so focused on a rookie 4th liner? I don't get it. He has potential but you just can't expect him to be lighting it up this early. What do you want from the guy? He's not going to be one of our top scorers. His job right now is just to play physical and not embarass himself with the 10 or 12 minutes a game he plays. Stop expecting this guy to be friggin' Guy Lafleur!!

well said there...too many people are blind...and on the fourth line its impossible for him to get points...espicially with the role Carbo gives him...just for fun how many shots on goal he as?

You guys really blow everything out of proportoion :lol::lol: Seems evreytime I make a post it starts a firestorm of controversy. And the thing is that these posts are so uncontroversial that it is really all very amusing :lol::lol: All I basically said was that I thought the kid was going back to juniors. I'm not saying I expect him to be Guy Lafleur after 5 games or that he sucks or any other such nonsense. Did you guys all get over-reaction pills when you joined this forum? :lol: Just wondering cause I haven't got mine yet :king: