Only A Matter Of Time For Latendresse

dumpSamsonov

Hmmm signing him to a 3 year contract has what to do with him not going back to juniors? That suppose to mean he can't go back to juniors :lol:

So I guess by that rational a GM has to call the coach into the office and say " I was thinking maybe I should fire you but since we both have to feel the same way and discuss everything before I take any sort of action, I would like to ask you first if it's ok if I fire you" :lol::lol:

Really you're not thinking Kozed :P

I'm not thinking? :huh:

Alright...

#1- Gainey signing Latendresse means he's going along with Carbo's plan. If the plan was to simply give him a try out, they wouldn't have waste the time and money and sent him right to juniors. What Carbo says and what Gainey does are not two entirely different things. I thought that was clear enough.

#2- I'm taking about how a coach and a GM work together. You use an exemple of a GM firing a coach as an exemple of those two not working together. Makes absolutely no sense. That's like saying humans dont live because someday they die.

Coaches and GM's work together, and work with scouts, assistant-coaches, trainers, video guys, stats guys, marketing reps, accountants, presidents, owners, PR reps, etc. That's so obvious I can't even believe I have to write this. Work together = consult with each other to make decisions.

Perhaps you should get acquainted with basic logic and hockey realities before telling others they're not thinking. <_<

Well I could put a lot of things here now. Only a matter of time before he starts playing better. Only a matter of time before he becomes the power forward that the Habs have seeked for many years. BUT what I'm really trying to say is it's only a matter of time before Latendresse is sent back to juniors. I don't think he'll get the 10 games to keep him with the club this season. He's just not ready at this point. Perhaps it will start clicking for him soon but time is running out before they have to make a decision on him. This shows how skewed preseason stats are compared to the real thing, proving once again that preseason means nothing if you're looking to it as a predictor of what's to come.

you should write for a brittish tabloid- you have no idea what your talking about.

I'm not thinking? :huh:

Alright...

#1- Gainey signing Latendresse means he's going along with Carbo's plan. If the plan was to simply give him a try out, they wouldn't have waste the time and money and sent him right to juniors. What Carbo says and what Gainey does are not two entirely different things. I thought that was clear enough.

You still don't get it Kozed :o What does signing him have to do with keeping him in the NHL for the rest of the season? Can he not sign a player and then send him back to juniors? Do you have a mental block that is making it too hard to understand this simple concept? :blink: OK let's try to explain it my little friend. Say that he sees that Latendrsse is not improving around the 8 game mark. In fact he is so out of his league that he is a detriment to the team. Does Gainey keep him up and sit him? I'm sure that will be great for his development :rolleyes: And yes Gainey can do something totally different from what Carbo expects. Using the example of firing a coach should illustarate that perfectly. Is that clear enough for you? :huh:

#2- I'm taking about how a coach and a GM work together. You use an exemple of a GM firing a coach as an exemple of those two not working together. Makes absolutely no sense. That's like saying humans dont live because someday they die.

Coaches and GM's work together, and work with scouts, assistant-coaches, trainers, video guys, stats guys, marketing reps, accountants, presidents, owners, PR reps, etc. That's so obvious I can't even believe I have to write this. Work together = consult with each other to make decisions.

My example made perfect sense if you could understand it but you missed the point. :?- I'll explain it a little more for you ;) Gainey could have very well said he was going to keep Latendresse up for the year but now he may see things differently because Latendresse is not exceling like in preaseasosn. OK try to keep up now cause this is where it gets tricky :lol: , because Gainey is the GM he can change his mind and doesn't have to tell Carbo, ask for his permission, bribe him, wash his car, shave his dog or anything else :lol: He can just go ahead and send Latendresse to the juniors because he has changed his mind even if Carbo hasn't. No consultation need be done. Gainey makes the decision so in fact what Gainey does and Carbo says ARE or can be 2 entirely different things. Get it this time...something tells me you won't but it's ok. :rolleyes:

By signing him the Habs lose a year of his eligibility. If they had waited a year that would be one more year we have him until he hits UFA status.

Signing a guy, burning a year of eligibility and paying $850 K and sending him back to Junior is dumb.

One plus one equals two

Lats + contract + eligibilty EQUALS LATENDRESE STAYING!

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

My example made perfect sense if you could understand it but you missed the point. :?- I'll explain it a little more for you ;) Gainey could have very well said he was going to keep Latendresse up for the year but now he may see things differently because Latendresse is not exceling like in preaseasosn. OK try to keep up now cause this is where it gets tricky :lol: , because Gainey is the GM he can change his mind and doesn't have to tell Carbo, ask for his permission, bribe him, wash his car, shave his dog or anything else :lol: He can just go ahead and send Latendresse to the juniors because he has changed his mind even if Carbo hasn't. No consultation need be done. Gainey makes the decision so in fact what Gainey does and Carbo says ARE or can be 2 entirely different things. Get it this time...something tells me you won't but it's ok. :rolleyes:

aint there a rule about to many smileys?

Wow...so much hostility.

I WOULD agree that he should be sent down, but his age makes it an interesting case. The fact is, he can't be sent to the AHL so he won't really fully develop. The Major Juniors in Quebec will not help this kid become a better hockey player. If anything they will reinforce bad habits. It is for this reason, more than the others, that he will stay on the roster this year. If he was older and elible for the AHL, he would probably be down after 10 games, but they wont send him to the Qs.

That being said, there are a few things that worry me about his game:

1) He seems a bit sluggish, most likely because I am comparing him to true NHL calibre players. This will improve once he work on his timing issues.

2) He needs to get off the bloody ice when his shift is over. I've seen a bad trend of staying on the ice long after his linemates have subbed. Normally this is ok (once in a while) but this is becoming a bad habit. It screws with the line chemistry and change timings.

Once again, all these things will be worked on, better off on the roster than in the Qs where he won't be able to fix these problems. Remember, when in the Qs, this kid is considered fast.

You still don't get it Kozed :o What does signing him have to do with keeping him in the NHL for the rest of the season? Can he not sign a player and then send him back to juniors? Do you have a mental block that is making it too hard to understand this simple concept? :blink: OK let's try to explain it my little friend. Say that he sees that Latendrsse is not improving around the 8 game mark. In fact he is so out of his league that he is a detriment to the team. Does Gainey keep him up and sit him? I'm sure that will be great for his development :rolleyes: And yes Gainey can do something totally different from what Carbo expects. Using the example of firing a coach should illustarate that perfectly. Is that clear enough for you? :huh:

#1- Latendresse hasnt been a detriment to the team so far and he's already improving.

#2- No, Gainey won't send Latendresse back to juniors without telling Carbo. Makes no sense. That's not how things work. Everyone with an ounce of hockey knowledge knows that's not how it works.

How old are you? 9 years old? I mean, seriously. Because no adult could be this clueless. Unless he's really of bad faith or trying to rile other's up.

Whichever is your case, you're in the wrong place buddy.

Ciao...

By signing him the Habs lose a year of his eligibility. If they had waited a year that would be one more year we have him until he hits UFA status.

Signing a guy, burning a year of eligibility and paying $850 K and sending him back to Junior is dumb.

One plus one equals two

If he plays 10 games, it counts as a year of eligibility and counts as a year played under the contract. If he plays less than ten games, then the contract rolls over for a year, as written in Article 9.1.d.i of the CBA.

That being said, I don't think he will be sent down to Drummondville, simply because he's not going to develop as a pro there. Even playing on the fourth line, he's learning how to practice like a pro, how to prepare for games like a pro, and the pace of the pro game. It might take him a week to catch on, it might take a month, or it might take three. If he finishes the season on the third line and with 20-30 points, I'd take that. There's a long road ahead, and maybe he'll do what Higgins did last season and get hot down the stretch.

Edited by RobRock

That being said, I don't think he will be sent down to Drummondville, simply because he's not going to develop as a pro there. Even playing on the fourth line, he's learning how to practice like a pro, how to prepare for games like a pro, and the pace of the pro game. It might take him a week to catch on, it might take a month, or it might take three. If he finishes the season on the third line and with 20-30 points, I'd take that. There's a long road ahead, and maybe he'll do what Higgins did last season and get hot down the stretch.

There... Couldn't have said it better. Koivu said it: Latendresse is too strong for junior. Nothing left to learn there.

Nothing to learn in junior + can't play in the AHL = playing the season in the NHL.

Case closed.

One plus one equals two

If i'm not mistaken if they do send Lats back to juniors it doesn't count as a year of service even if he has a contract or not ... if he plays that 10th game then his first year kicks in and counts towards his UFA eligibility :) .... also if he is sent back then they don't have to pay him the money from that contract .. his junior teams pays him what his contract with them pays.

If i'm not mistaken if they do send Lats back to juniors it doesn't count as a year of service even if he has a contract or not ... if he plays that 10th game then his first year kicks in and counts towards his UFA eligibility :) .... also if he is sent back then they don't have to pay him the money from that contract .. his junior teams pays him what his contract with them pays.

Cool, can anyone confirm CaliHabsFan info.

Wow, what a mess of a thread.

I agree that Latendresse has looked out of place so far and really should be playing in the AHL - but I couldn't care less. In time, he will improve andearn his spot. Sending him down would be a huge mistake and I doubt management has even considered it. Didn't Carbo say during the preseason that if Lats makes it he'll be staying for the whole season?

I agree with BTH...including the point about what a mess this thread is.

You don't have to get all pissed off at each other. Also, everyone has stated their opinions, time to close this mess in my opinion before things get really heated.

lol the fact that some of you (dump samsonov) are getting so pissed about this topic is kind of frusterating to read.

Lats needs to stay with the big club. The biggest flaw in his game right now is that he's simply an abysmal defensive player - going back to Drummondville isn't going to help that.

The O will come. I'd like to see him get some PP minutes. No offense to Begin and Downey/Murray, they're not exactly elite offensive players. A minute or two a game with the skill guys per game would only help his development, I think.

would you rather have Latendresse go to the AHL and do really good down their, (but not get to much better, or keep him up here where by a chance of luck he could maybe be a 10-15 goal scorer and have like 20 assists and get better.

I would rather have him stay up here, the more games he plays up here the better he will get.

Mess of a thread, hell yeah...

Anyway, the one person who started the thread and held on to his ill-informed opinion against all contrary arguements isn't amongst us anymore, so...

thread closed.