Nhl Attendence Down

Pierre the Great

http://www.thn.com/en/news/news.asp?idNews=21994

Highlights:

Avs didn't sell out a home game for the first time in 11 years.

Through 78 games Monday night, the NHL was averaging 16,743 fans per game. Compared to the same point last season (through 82 total games), the league was averaging 17,285 coming off the season-long lockout.

My Prediction: The sun is setting on Bettman.

Edited by Pierre the Great

really? I think its more of the same. I'll really get a good idea on how bad the attendence is this year in Saint Louis when I go to the canuck-blues game on friday. The ticket people said that sales where better then last year and I saw a game on tv and it looked like more people were in the seats but then again they didn't do a shot of the upper deck.

Another hint I got was that I was able to get a second row seat just above the club seats and lower bowl right at centre ice a week before the game. So thats not good if I can get that good of seats so close to a game.

really? I think its more of the same. I'll really get a good idea on how bad the attendence is this year in Saint Louis when I go to the canuck-blues game on friday. The ticket people said that sales where better then last year and I saw a game on tv and it looked like more people were in the seats but then again they didn't do a shot of the upper deck.

Another hint I got was that I was able to get a second row seat just above the club seats and lower bowl right at centre ice a week before the game. So thats not good if I can get that good of seats so close to a game.

but who cares about Hockey in St. Louis?

but who cares about Hockey in St. Louis?

Who care about the Blues !! The Rams are on their bye week. This should be the perfect time for the Blues to get some spotlight. But just too bad for them.. the Cardinals are going to the World Series!

And the worst teams attendance wise are ....

Rank in the league* - avg. attendance per game - last year avg in brackets)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

rank in the league* - avg. attendance per game so far - last year avg in brackets

20 Phoenix 15,559 (15,582)

21 Pistburgh 15,542 (15,804)

22 Nashville 15,441 (14,428)

23 NJ 14,900 (14,230)

24 Anaheim 14,461 (15,106)

25 St Louis 14,409 (14,213)

26 Washington 14,308 (13,905)

27 Atlanta 14,298 (15,550)

28 Chicago 12,570 (13,318)

29 Islanders 12,081 (12,609)

* out of 29 because the Bruins havent played a home game yet

More positively, 13 teams have sold out all their seats so far

Montréal

Tampa

Detroit

Philly

Toronto

Calgary

Ottawa

Carolina (!!!)

Buffalo

Vancouver

Dallas

Minesotta

Rangers

Edited by Jean

well i think the reigning cup champion selling out their games isn't that surprising.

Yes, Pierre, hockey is on a downswing in St. Louis. The Blues are not the NHL's barometer. That being said, if the Blues can put together an improved season, I would expect attendance to increase. The transitional, 'for-sale' blues bummed a lot of people out, IMHO. The checketts group seems to be icing a higher quality product and should win back some fans.

of course the habs doesnt have any problem to sell tickets...

this is one of the reason why montreal = hockeytown

:)

well i think the reigning cup champion selling out their games isn't that surprising.

Yes, Pierre, hockey is on a downswing in St. Louis. The Blues are not the NHL's barometer. That being said, if the Blues can put together an improved season, I would expect attendance to increase. The transitional, 'for-sale' blues bummed a lot of people out, IMHO. The checketts group seems to be icing a higher quality product and should win back some fans.

Yeah the Checketts group wants hockey to be great again in Saint Louis but the problem is bigger then just the team playing good. The post doesn't cover the team anymore. Sports Radio here doesn't talk about them because they think hockey is a joke and the radio station that plays Blues games is part owned by the Cardinals now and they also play Mizzou and Rams games.

Plus then there's the Bilikens basketball team.

The two main writers for the Post are on record for hating hockey.

Burwell has never been in the arena and only does baseball, basketball and football articles and Mikilaz doesn't like hockey, only liked to take sound bites from brett hull but he's not around anymore.

Granted the Cards are in the playoffs but the blues were not mentioned until page 6 of a 7 page sports section today.

Attendence woes in USA

Oct 20

Caps vs Thrasher 12,719 Pred vs Devils 11,274

Penguins vs Nyi 10.258 Kings vs Coyotes 12,714

Oct 19

Panthers vs Capitals 10,125

and sadly orginal six teams

Habs vs Hawks 11,095

If this keeps up some of these teams could be in real trouble.

So far this is the blues attendance

Home opener vs. Coyotes - 8,531!

vs. Chicago - 11,606!

then people started showing up: vs. Boston - 17,213 but that was a saturday night game those are always high in attendance.

The Boston game was thier home opener!

Thats about right, really said though really said. Diehard season ticket holders around me said that the crowd was worse then last year and last year was BAD. And about 8 thousand of those people showed up with 5 minutes before the game started.

Its so bad not all the big special concession stands are open. If only people saw this game they'd be hooked. But yeah there was this section on the ice that was completely empty and this was in the lower bowl.

Most of the fans of course are in the upper sections.

who the hell cares about st. louis attendance? It is NOT a bellweather. I have been to St. Louis many times, living there for a summer and I can say with great surity - ST LOUIS IS NOT A BELLWEATHER FOR ANYTHING!

Oh yeah, and as to attendance figures right now, there is something called the WORLD SERIES!

lol okay siminous I'll check the attendance once the Cards are done and I can garuntee people still won't show up. Talked to a bunch of people that used to go to games that don't anymore and they said one reason: The Lockout.

Face it, The Lockout is and still is the reason why attendance is down in the US. The sport was already a fringe sport and when it went away for a year nobody blinked. It came back and nobody blinked.