Carbo Blames 2nd Line, Plans Changes

KoZed

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20061019...9/1002/CPSPORTS

"Our second line can give us more. Its still very early, but that's reality. All 3 players are in the minuses (combined -9)"

During the 3rd period yesterday Carbo tried Perezhogin in place of Samsonov. And there could be more experiences of that kind in the next couple of games. "I already have a few ideas about that, Carbo said. We can expect more changes during the next couple of games."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, I wonder what those changes can be. I dont like seeing the 3rd being broke up since they play so well together. But maybe a simple switch between Bonk & Plekanec could change the 2nd without slowing the 3rd. Or maybe Carbo's thinking about throwing Begin or Latendresse up on the 2nd.

Should be interesting to see what gets the 2nd going.

I think Bonk should get the chance. He has been playing well this season and has held down the spot on top lines before. If that doesn't work, get Samsonov off the line.

hehe, i just woke up and i just read my newspaper (la presse) and u posted this up :P

i dunno how carbo is expecting to make up a new 2nd line, but it's about time coz the 2nd line should really produce much more...

i think bonk will stay on the 3rd line, he is comfortable with his mission and responsabilities on the 3rd, so i dunt think he will help much on the 2nd line... i think maybe latendresse could have a try out on the 2nd line... big guy, smart guy... but is kovy will like tender? ummm...

but one thing is sure : we wont see murray on the 2nd line with kovy like last year :P hehehehe

in carbo we trust... :)

I just hope the 1st line stays intact, they're a stud line!

As an aside, did anyone notice Ryders speed this year? Like when he blows down the wing and cuts in on the net? Did he have this last year and I just not notice?

Also, it seems like the habs are hitting more than last year...which is what the so called 'The Stoopid Network' experts said the habs were lacking in.

I think it will be Perez or lats on that line. Maybe moving Begin to the left side of Bonk and Johnson, a true shut down line. Murray can center the fourth with Samsonov and lats or Perez. Like another poster said, changes in lines happen alot.

As for the habs hitting, there some people who hit reliably, the rest still float around and don't do the dirty work. This is why the top line does well, they do alot of things well including hitting. Ryder is like 3rd on the team in hits or something.

I just hope the 1st line stays intact, they're a stud line!

As an aside, did anyone notice Ryders speed this year? Like when he blows down the wing and cuts in on the net? Did he have this last year and I just not notice?

Also, it seems like the habs are hitting more than last year...which is what the so called 'The Stoopid Network' experts said the habs were lacking in.

Ryder has been an all around great player this year so far. He is laying the body and digging in the corners hard. His speed and two way play is much improved.

I think the rumours of him being hurt last year must be true.

Yeah Ryder lost like 15 lbs this summer, but not on purpose. He couldn't train because of an injury so he lost lot of muscles, especially on the left side. He said he'd want to get it back.

As for the lines changes: this is where keeping Latendresse might pay off because you know he has the hands and offensive flair to pinch in on the 2nd if needed. I'd prefer keeping the 3rd together since they click so well and also because their shutdown role is crucial, unless like someone else mentionned Begin is moved up to the LW but then we end up missing a C (unless they call up Chipchura or Lapierre to center the 4th).

I think it will be Perez or lats on that line. Maybe moving Begin to the left side of Bonk and Johnson, a true shut down line. Murray can center the fourth with Samsonov and lats or Perez. Like another poster said, changes in lines happen alot.

As for the habs hitting, there some people who hit reliably, the rest still float around and don't do the dirty work. This is why the top line does well, they do alot of things well including hitting. Ryder is like 3rd on the team in hits or something.

Where are you getting your stats on hits? I thought the NHL stopped counting that stat a few years ago?

Samsonov will NOT stay on a 4th line for long...

Let's start a rumour: Samsonov, Plekanec and 1, or 2, 1st round picks for Marleau. lol

The first line is great... Bonk and Johson together are great... the fourth line is doing its job. Id say for now just try switching Perez and Sammy.

:hlogo:

I think Pleks needs to go down to the 3rd line and put up Bonk. We need to get Sammy and Kovy going, they are the offensive guys we are counting on. Both of them have goals that they essentially produced as individuals. That line has yet to do anything "together'.

Pleks speed is useless on that line. Ribs was not too slow for that line, he fit right in. Kovy is an east-west player who hangs on to the puck. A speedy center just waits at the blue line while Kovy takes him time. :)

I would give Bonk a shot at the 2nd line and start hunting for another center. Every analyst is saying we are weak down the middle and it is obvious. Riberio had issues, but trading him away didn't make our center line up better, it made it worse. The second part of that move (getting a better center then Ribs) is still needed.

Ribs sucked at times and I mean SUCK when he started off a bad night he would not do a thing to change rarely would it not turn worse...

Sammy is sucking but I blame the inexperience of our centre... I would not panic but I like the scare tactic put on by carbo... Specially with what's happening in PHLLY now...

Kovy is playing well (not GREAT) but well ...in my opinion but he cant do everything by himself... he is too well marked thats where Plek and Sammy have to take advantage... and thats where we lack!!!! Sammy not able to get passes correctly and Plek Nervous as hell (even if he doesnt admit it) We need another passer than Kovalev ( which gets rid of someone's theory of putting Kovy at centre ) its what he's basically doing now So it aint working! DAMN I HATE SHANAHAN's WIFE RIGHT NOW!

Possibilities are:

swap Perezhogin and Samsonov

swap Bonk and Plekanec

completely re-arrange everything to fit in Latendresse (or swap Samsonov with Latendresse - whatever floats your boat)

do nothing

I say just keep everything together for now. There's only one line that isn't working. To fix it we'd have to break up one of the 3 lines that are.

DAMN I HATE SHANAHAN's WIFE RIGHT NOW!

I dont think is was his wife that made the desicion, New York said= you will be able to play with world famous Jagr,,,,, montreal said= you will be able to play with Kovalev............

He obviously liked Jagr abit more.. at least thats what the gazzete said when he sighned with New York

I dont think is was his wife that made the desicion, New York said= you will be able to play with world famous Jagr,,,,, montreal said= you will be able to play with Kovalev............

He obviously liked Jagr abit more.. at least thats what the gazzete said when he sighned with New York

if you had to choose....without biased opinion on montreal...what would you choose???new-york new-york?? or montreal?

im sorry but i'd go to new york

He did lose 15 lbs. but he wants to put it back on because he said he is getting muscled off the puck more this year, which is fair enough, I have noticed a few occasions where that has happened. I guess it comes down to wheather one wants the speed or the strength.

As for the lines changes: this is where keeping Latendresse might pay off because you know he has the hands and offensive flair to pinch in on the 2nd if needed.

I would be interested to see Latendresse on the 2nd line for a few games, I really haven't seen anything out of him all season, but that may have something to do with the fact that he is only getting 5 minutes a night and playing with very limited forwards offensively.

Id say for now just try switching Perez and Sammy.

:hlogo:

This seems like the obvious choice, & I'd bet dollars to donuts that his is exactly what Carbo will do on Saturday, nothing too serious but may be enough to kick start this line. Perez has been playing with great energy and he could break out this year if this line starts to click.

I would be interested to see Latendresse on the 2nd line for a few games, I really haven't seen anything out of him all season, but that may have something to do with the fact that he is only getting 5 minutes a night and playing with very limited forwards offensively.

Yup... but Carbo is smart. Latendresse's main flaw was defensive play, so what does Carbo do? He uses him in a role where he has to learn how to play defensively . The limited ice-time means Lats isnt too much for a liability for the team.

When he will be comfortable with the defensive part of the game, then Carbo can start using him a little more in an offensive role without it being too much of a defensive risk.

puts lats in, just as a wake up call to sammy, thats all, you gotta give the prospect a chance, if he flys with it, let it happen, and teach sammy a lesson, if not itll piss smamy off and he'll have to prove everyone wrong

I'd send down Murray and bring up Kosty. Nothing to do with Murray's play but we need to figure out what works with the second line before we can worry about playing a career fourth liner consistently.

Kosty can switch with Sammy, Lats can replace Murray(unless they send him to Junior and keep Murray), and Sammy goes with Johnson and Bonk.

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Kostitsyn Pleks Kovalev

Sammy Bonk Johnson

Lats Begin Perezhogin

I just don't know how well it would work for a fourth line defensively

Well with Dandenault looming to be added to the ir as well as Downey Kosty could be re-called without sending Murray down, infact Kostitsyn could be called up right now even without Dandenault or Downey on the ir because the Canadiens begun the season with a 22 man roster rather than the league max 23

I'm thinking Carbo will probably go gradually. He already tried Zhog on the 2nd line by the end of the Chicago game, so that seems to be his 1st option. If that still doesnt get the 2nd going, than a Bonk-Plekanec switch might be the 2nd move, especially since Carbo dont care so much about getting lot of offense as not getting scored on (being in the minuses). Plex can do the job as a 3rd-line 2-way center.

Latendresse would probably be a ast resort move. He's getting PP time instead of Sammy because its safer defensively, and for now its a good enough mesure.

Either way, I'm actually thinking Samsonov and Bonk could work well together, weither on the 2nd or 3rd line. Sammy got his best years when he was playing with a big center who could dig the puck and create space (Thornton), so maybe it'd be a better fit than with Plex.

Zhog is starting to come into his own, he just needs to start burying his chances which shouldnt take too long.

I want to see a Bonk-Plekanec switch. Bonk has experience playing with offensively gifted players from his Ottawa days, whereas Plekanec looks lost on the enemy side of the red line more often than not. I think it would be good for both players.

I'd send down Murray and bring up Kosty. Nothing to do with Murray's play but we need to figure out what works with the second line before we can worry about playing a career fourth liner consistently.

Kosty can switch with Sammy, Lats can replace Murray(unless they send him to Junior and keep Murray), and Sammy goes with Johnson and Bonk.

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Kostitsyn Pleks Kovalev

Sammy Bonk Johnson

Lats Begin Perezhogin

I just don't know how well it would work for a fourth line defensively

Hmm the only way Kosty is coming up is that we've gto too many injured players.... they will try Every current possible player in roster on the second line before they go calling Kosty...