Jeff O'Neill?

Westcoasthabsfan

ch,

You're exactly right. The price would be high. Last year when we were competing with TO for Nolan, they rose the price and beat us out for him. I like O'Neill alot, but don't think he'd be worth the price and would just clog up the top lines a few years from now when the prospects are ready to jump in.

sorry but I totally disagree.... the Habs once comfortable lead(in seventh spot) they enjoyed has all but evaporated... they need to get bigger up front and Jeff would fit the bill... he is worth the risk and is just spinning his wheels in Carolina... this guy will not clog up the middle (Higgins being a centre) is the only prospect even close to stepping in within a couple of years so I dont know who else you are referring to

I like Jeff O'Neill, but one player won't make a huge difference, especially since we've only lost three in a row. I'm just as disappointed as the next guy; I hate losing, but over the next week or so we will...

- Have Begin and Ward back in the lineup.

- Theo should be over his mini slump.

- Ribeiro will be expected to proove he can work his way out of a slump.

- Koivu and Souray should get back to their usual selves.

- Bulis & Markov may start finding the back of the net.

We have a lot of players, but something went wrong over this period and we have a strong coach who can correct that.

Westcoast,

A few years from now, after we mortgage the future to acquire O'Neill, we'll all be sitting here ticked off at Gainey. Why? Because if we deal our top prospects for this guy, and don't get me wrong he's a good player, we'll certainly be locking him up long term. If Gainey signs him for, say, three years, all of a sudden here's an overpaid 32 year old standing in the way of a pile of promising 23-24 year olds who are looking to proove themselves. And worst of it all, no one would want him at this point, because chances are if we want to sign the guy it will cost us some dough.

Young forwards? It maybe easier for you to visit the prospect section, but regardless, how does this list sound.

Andrei Kastistyn

Alex Perezhogin

Josef Balej

Christopher Higgins

Marcel Hossa

Tomas Plekanec

That's six excellent prospects, without mentioning guys in the OHL and the Q.

Having a lot of good prospects is nice, but there's not enough room for all of them on the team you're gonna have to trade some of them.

And to be successful you need a few good vets in there.

So it goes to reason that some night be traded for vets, big vets with talent if that's not asking too much.

But actually, I think what we might need is an upgrade on our current vets... and keep as many of the kids as possible save perhaps headcase Hossa.

Move Koivu (small, too injury prone) & Zednik (average talent)... replace them with 2 bigger players who can make up for the relative small size of the prospects we have coming up.

I'm not saying trade these two guys right away, but eventually I think they'll have to be moved so our team can take the next step.

In the coming years the lineup could look like this:

Kastitsyn-"big vet center"-Balej

Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin

Bulis-Higgins-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Bonneau

Whoever doesn't pan out of Kastitsyn, Perezhogin or Balej should be replaced by a big body vet.

Young forwards? It maybe easier for you to visit the prospect section, but regardless, how does this list sound.  

Listen you dont have to try and give me a lesson on the Habs prospects, if you read your original post on this topic you say that he will clog up the top lines for the prospects but I will say it again "O'Neill is a centreman so he wont be holding back any of the guys u mentioned... Just my two cents

Originally posted by Habs77

Having a lot of good prospects is nice, but there's not enough room for all of them on the team you're gonna have to trade some of them.

And to be successful you need a few good vets in there.

So it goes to reason that some night be traded for vets, big vets with talent if that's not asking too much.

But actually, I think what we might need is an upgrade on our current vets...  

Agree with that. Glad that it's Bob Gainey and Andre Savard who will be determining who stays and who goes rather than Gomer Pyle.

And Doug Jarvis seems to have lots faith in Hossa so I don't think that he's the odd man out is a forgone conclusion.