Game Thread | Avalanche vs. Canadiens | 10/21/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read the thread but just want to add one thing. I am so happy for Rivet. His goal and celebration,let alone the smile he had, was the bomb. Screw anyone that dogs that guy. He may not be the best defenseman in the world but he gives everything he has every night and I hope he retires a habs.

Anyone who starts a bash Rivet thread I will Burn, and when I get kicked off I will create a new name and burn again.

Rivet rules !!!!!!!!!!

We'll keep deleting your post and banning you until you give up. People who dont like Rivet - or anyone else - have a right to express it without getting harassed. Its Rivet for God's sake!

That being said: Rivet's goal was a beauty. He needs every goal he can buy more to make up for his defensive lapses. He can thank his buddy Saku for that awesome pass.

I love that the second line got going....but I'm sorry. Kovalev and Sammy? What is up with the smug european attitude. You scored!!!!! raise your arms!!!!!! be happy!!!!!! SMILE for Fu*K SAKES. Just the look on their faces bring me down.

3rd goal when you're still trailing by one isnt necessarily cause to celebrate, smug european attitude or not (what does it have to do with being Euro anyway?). If they'd celebrate more, would you call them europeans show offs?

When Rivet scored, Kovalev was on the bench and was so happy, he almost jumped and humped Rivet. Because that goal meant something.

When Rivet scored, Kovalev was on the bench and was so happy, he almost jumped and humped Rivet. Because that goal meant something.

I agree with this remember Kovalev's celebration after he tied the game against the Sens last season 3-3.

I was at the game tonight and it was amazing. There was this one Avs fan yapping all night how theo was amazing and Aebischer sucked. Well in the third period I really gut under his skin and everyone in my section loved it!

I agree with this remember Kovalev's celebration after he tied the game against the Sens last season 3-3.

I was at the game tonight and it was amazing. There was this one Avs fan yapping all night how theo was amazing and Aebischer sucked. Well in the third period I really gut under his skin and everyone in my section loved it!

Nice!

:hlogo:

I love our habs team this year .

Yeah no kidding. This is by far my favourite edition of the Habs that i can remember. (too young to really appreciate 93) Theres not a player on the team that i dislike right now, watching this video on YouTube almost made me cry this afternoon:

BTW im not a coldplay fan but that song is killer.

Awesome game! Glad Sourray et all silenced the critics for at least one night. Also, glad the second line started to produce a bit.

Only thing that would have made this complete would have been a Latendress goal ... but meh, sometime soon hopefully!

Also, I guess Abie is no longer on the gga and sav.% leader board. 5 goals in 38 shots is a lot!

I love our habs team this year . Of course there is always room for improvement , but I don't know about Sammy. Whether he scores 50 goals or not he just doesn't seem to fit in a Habs uniform. Geez..I wish we got Shanny!!!!

That's funny, because when Sammy was a Bruins I used to think: small speedy guy, dont fit the Bruins. He's a Habs type! :P

But I love our edition this year too... Loads of D&D (drafted and developed) young players in the lineup, and players acquired from other teams that pan out here. There's a great mix of everything. We can do the Calgary-style rough stuff or the Buffalo-style run & gun and compete in both styles.

And as the season goes on, we'll have our own style that other teams will have to adjust to. The Carbo style: relentless, smart & speedy 2-way game. We can shut you down AND then we can score on you.

**Avs fan puts tail between legs and tries to escape unnoticed.**

Offensive show and tell by the habs. Theo got rattled. Good game. Maybe next time.

i still have faith in Theo.

-Mils

**Avs fan puts tail between legs and tries to escape unnoticed.**

Offensive show and tell by the habs. Theo got rattled. Good game. Maybe next time.

i still have faith in Theo.

-Mils

Me too. I think this was another case of us getting a big llead and then thinking we can coast the rest of the way. We did it many times last season and we've done it a few times this season, Sakic said the same thing after the game. Almost wonder if it has something to do with the coaching staff.

Don't really blame Theo for a few of those goals, he was solid in the 1st/2nd period.

Ok.. a few comments at this point of the season; its good to spread the shootout chances among the team to give everyone experience. I certainly would like to see sammy give it a good effort soon.

In the back of my mind I'm hoping that Carbo and Muller are learning to leverage this teams massive talent. Furthermore, this team has shown moments of tremendous offensive striking abilities; With a fantastic ability to keep things in order when short handed. They are certainly tighening up on D every game and I for one am very happy with our overrall record and effort thus far... yes even with the brain farts that have occurred thus far...

having said all that.. I would argue that tonights game is one of those games that we need to show up and play like this was a stanley cup final. we have to save face for Gainey, who pulled the trigger on the theo trade and yes. this is also a battle of the old Nords vs. Habs rivalry.. which Carbo and Muller have loads of experience with over the years. So don't short sell this... it is a big game and I for one will be glued to the screen watching every shift and every shot; and will be looking for an absolutely solid game from our famed Canadiens.

Prediction. 4-2 habs; and theo will have many shinning moments but it will not be enough to stop the well rested habs; playing in front of their home crowd.

GO HABS GO!

GREAT GAME! BIG GAME! Just as I thought it would be!

Well overall a great win by the Habs. The first period they were out to lunch again but unlike previous years they played the last 40 minutes hard. Nice to see a comeback and hard work the second and third periods. Nice work. I was watching with a bar full of Avs fans in Colorado wearing my Canadiens Jersey. So it was fun.

Good News:

Played hard for 40 minutes and made a comeback.

4 PP goals more inportantly 4 regular strength goals.

All the lines seemed to play well at times

Komi and Markov had great nights. +3 each i beleive

2 big points and condience before playing Buffalo Monday.

My 2 favorite whipping boys had goals (Souray and Rivet) still were minus.

Bad News:

5 goals against

Didn't show up in the first

Is there a D man who knows how to hit a player coming into the zome besides Komi? That's how you STOP a rush D men.

This team is really not very smart with the hockey sense. I'm not bagging on anyone in particular because it's different people every night. What i mean is after they score a goal they immediately get a penalty called on them or give up a goal. Lose momentum almost immediately. They take ridiculous penalties every night at the wrong possible times. They need to play smarter and jump on people after they score.

For everyone singing the praises of Souray and Rivet, I must remind you they were still a minus. All of Souray's points are on the PP, which is great for PP but 5 0n 5 he is brutal and ZERO offense. Rivet did have a great breakaway goal but brutal in his own end again.

They were not the only ones, Streit and Niinimaa were brutal as well. #6 seemed to play alot better with Dandy.

+

- i was too excited and happy last nite to type anything after the game last nite :P

- PP and PK r our forces... we GOTTA keep it up!!!

- SOURAY!!! ummm... i hate to see him with the puck in the defensive zone... but i love to see him with it in the offensive zone, esp. in PP :D

- 0-3... we didnt give up and showed a lot of determination

- the reason why we won the game : TEAM SPIRIT !!! habs players all wanted to win it for abby... on the other side... are theo and brisebois as much appreciated by their team mates?

- RIVET!!! gotta maybe use him on next S.O.?? (ok!!! i'm joking right??!!)

- second line did a great job! kovy/samsonov duo will work out soonly...

- WE BOOed THÉO & BRISEBOIS!!! why not??? what i dunt understand is why people dunt understand the reason why we r boo-ing them... haha as for me, i really think that the main reason why people booed them is because they wanted to make them lose their concentration and then make mistakes... that's it!!! and u know what??? it works!!! i mean, if the crowd didnt boo theo or brisebois last nite... maybe he could've lost the game... and DUH! some medias and people said that brisebois is a niiiiice guy, he donated 50K$ to St-Justine Hospital ealier on saturday BLABLABLA... ok... THANK YOU brisebois... but hey!! u guys r the same people who said : what is on the ice stays on the ice... and what's off the ice, stays off the ice... ok... so for me, the donation is sumthing happeing *off the ice* so i dunt care about it while i'm watching the game! if we have to respect every single player that donate sumthing or being good off the ice... then all the players will only have to donate sumthing and then we will cheer for them??? COME ON!!!!

-

- we were not able to clear the defensive zone as much as we should during PK

- theodore : "Fans reaction didn't affect me!" YEAH RIGHT!!!!

funny stuff

- in la presse, we see a pic of a girl with a banner saying "I LOVE U JOSÉ THÉODORE" -- hopeless!! :wacko:

- somewhere else in the bell center... another banner showed "Théo! we've visited Paris" ^_^

- the bell center DJ played Paris Hilston's song "stars are blind" during the first period... :rolleyes:

- ... and he replayed it after Theo "slapped" higgins with his glove... :lol::lol:

GHG :)

- WE BOOed THÉO & BRISEBOIS!!! why not??? what i dunt understand is why people dunt understand the reason why we r boo-ing them... haha as for me, i really think that the main reason why people booed them is because they wanted to make them lose their concentration and then make mistakes... that's it!!!

That's not why the bulk of people booed them. Is that why people boo Lindros every time he's here? Nope.

Anyway, coupla quick comments. Entertaining, if somewhat sloppy game. The first two penalty kills for the Habs scared the crap out of me. Not scoring on the first long 5-3, I thought the Habs were done after that. Down 4-3 in the game, I thought for sure they would score on that powerplay. Glad to see the 2nd line play better tonight, although I'm beginning to think that the odd man out on that line is Plekanec, not Samsonov. As far as the lack of celebration after they scored, I would think other than the reasons already stated...maybe the guys were relieved they got on the scoreboard. Seems plausible to me. Sheesh, I play in a goofy rec league and when I score after I've slumped, I'm more "thank God" than "WOoooooohoooooooooo".

Overall, it was an entertaining game. I did flip and watch Coach's Corner to see Cherry ripping on Barnaby. Anyone else see that? I'm with Cherry on that one, I hope Barnaby gets it, what a wuss.

They were not the only ones, Streit and Niinimaa were brutal as well. #6 seemed to play alot better with Dandy.

I disagree. Streit looked good out there again. No mistakes and he moved the puck well. Niinimaa looked bad though. He seemed to get caught out of position quite a few times.

I wish i could have seen the game..... I went to 6 flags with some friends, it was mad fun, but i wish i could have seen theo crying that he let up 8 goals :P

That's not why the bulk of people booed them. Is that why people boo Lindros every time he's here? Nope.

lindros is another case!!! come on! lindros is the biggest babyish NHL player!!! that's it!

i was only talking about theo and brisebois case!!!

Question from a poor habs-Loving Ontarian: How come we don't get Soiree du Hockey on Radio Canada (The French CBC) on Saturday nights anymore?

I remember last year, we used to get the games even though they were being broadcast on RDS, but this year, I haven't seen a single game on the French CBC on Saturday nights, just some movie and then that awful Karaoke show (La Fureur). Does anyone know if they're going to start airing the Habs games at all or if we've lost them forever?

Well, I was long lost in the Toronto area :blink: (moved ther for over 10 years) and nearly died of all the "leafs" (sorry for the swearing) talk in TO. Never met a hockey fan there :hockey: , just leaf fans :wacko: ....

To fix my hockey viewing ills with definitely no habs games televised on local cable, but StarChoice offered a bi-lingual package where the cbc feed from Montreal was the habs game + all the RDS stuff too :hlogo: ... I don't know if this still applies, but it was perfect "IV" while living in TO. Sure it rang in at about $75 a month but... I saw a lot of habs hockey. Every Saturday(cbc) and Wednesday(rds) where pretty much guaranteed. Hope this helps...

On another note...

It's good to be back in QC. :clap: ... now all i need is nhl.com to stop the sad and slow as molasis updates of positive habs info, or any other team for that matter... That's okay, the webmaster who takes care of the site updates must be a leaf fan... I kid not - at least 3 times last season, toronto standings were out of order... did anyone notice???

&

...it's so great to see the GM in toronto has a'blog', on the leaf site... I wonder if Bob Gainey chats on MSN all day? Enough leaf trashing... but the heart of the league is still RW&B. :lol:

Fans reaction not bothering him is believable. As a goalie myself, you don't even hear anything thats not happening on the ice. IF he was rattled (and I don't think he was, otherwise the onslaught would've happened sooner then the third period) then he did it to himself (which is what I was worried about), had nothing to do with the fans.

Anyway, like I said before, was a case of our boys thinking we can coast cause we're up big. Sloppy in the 2nd and absolutely god awful in the third. I don't blame Theo because thats not the first time it's happened, Aebischer did it as well. Nashville put up 4 against in the third to win by one and Los Angeles put up 5 in the third to beat us a week later. Quenneville needs to get on the boys arses once you get there.

As for the team not appreciating Theo and Breeze...wow....are you kidding me?

As for the team not appreciating Theo and Breeze...wow....are you kidding me?

Sorry JS, but I have no sympathy for either with the booing. Pronger is going to hear it all year when Anaheim goes to Edmonton. Yes it's disgusting. Weight got the treatment from Edmonton fans in the final. This was the crowds chance to stick it to them in another uniform. Ugly, but that's the way it is.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again. The 1st game? Cool but give it a rest now IMO