Latendresse to 2nd line

JMMR

Why promote Latendresse? He has no points and is a -4. Maybe they're trying to increase his numbers quickly so it doesn't look like a horrible mistake having him in the NHL. He should be in junior playing 20+ minutes per game.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why promote Latendresse? He has no points and is a -4. Maybe they're trying to increase his numbers quickly so it doesn't look like a horrible mistake having him in the NHL.

If putting him on the 2nd line increases his numbers, then I'm all for it. Somebody on that line has to produce.

I'm a little puzzled by the timing of this move. What did Samsonov do, or not do, in the last game to deserve a demotion? I know if I was Sammy, I would be mightily pissed heading to Beantown on the 4th line. I hope he can channel that to have a great game. Maybe Carbo's thinking that they can roll four lines? I dont care as long as it works :)

Same sentiment as many others here, I don't understand why demote Sammy. He has at least been putting in the effort. I would (for one game at least) try him on the first line with Saku (who makes others play well) and move Ryder (transplantable) to the second with Kovy at centre and Lats on second. While this experiment is going on Pleks can hang on the 4th line and beef up their defensive capacity. Just a thought...

Edited by cfposi

The problem with that is Samsonov is a LW, Ryder is RW. Last year they did put Kovy and Ryder together with no results. You could flip flop Samsonov and Higgins. Higgins would help any player be better.

Kovalev is getting on my nerves a little bit this season so far. He is so lazy it is incredible. He works fairly hard in the offensive zone but if the puck gets turned over, he quits and slowly skates for the bench. Maybe he is the one who should be on the 4th line.

I think a lot of that is Kovalev's frustration with the center situation. Plekanec is lost out there in the offensive zone, and I think it's demoralizing. Kovelev had to deal with an underachieving Ribs last season, and now an outright incapable Plekanec this season. That's got to break your spirit after awhile. I blame management more than I do either Plekanec or Kovalev...both are victims of a circumstance created by management's inability to get a proper 2nd line center.

Samsonov I thought has played well recently.

The problem with that line is that Plekanec isn't a playmaker. He's more of a hustling third line centre than an offensive whiz.

Moving up Latendresse will help because he'll head to the net, but I fear that Samsonov won't be amused with playing limited fourth line minutes and obviously this isn't the ideal situation.

I believe the long term plans for Plekanec is 3rd line replacement for Bonk. The guy has talent.

Latendresse gets his big chance finally and I pray he bangs in a goal on his first shift. Samsonov should do well on the 4th line. I have been impressed with his solid back checking and hard work.

Kovalev is getting on my nerves a little bit this season so far. He is so lazy it is incredible. He works fairly hard in the offensive zone but if the puck gets turned over, he quits and slowly skates for the bench. Maybe he is the one who should be on the 4th line.

I really don't think he sucks, he is a usefull player, but he's not a 2nd line centre. I really think he could be traded in the near future, I don't think he's our future 3rd line centre, i would put Chipchura is that spot and i don't think he's talented, and big enough to centre the top 2 lines.

What everyone is missing here is what Lats brings to the 2nd line besides going to the net. He also is hard on the forecheck and will create room for Pleks and Kov to wheel the puck. Sammy isn't physical enough and this line is turning over the puck in the offensive zone. Hopefully this will help.

As for why Sammy, someone had to be moved, that was obvious. So why not? It had to be a winger and he plays Lats wing. Makes sense as who else do you move up to 2nd line wing. You can't break up the 1st line at this time. They are a constant threat, why break that up? We need to establish a scary 2nd line behind them. This could do it.

The 3rd line is great as is if Bonk stays healthy.

4th line with Samsonov Begin and Lapierre is probably what we see next game.

I agree, don't break up the first line. Under no circumstances should a line that is playing so well be tampered with. I'm still pissed that Julien broke up the Kovalev-Koivu-Perezhogin line that was flying at the beginning of last year. :)

I think its gonna be okay with Sammy on the 4th, the line number really dont matter, but whos on the 4th again? begin and sammy and who......... i foget

I think this is Latendress' chance to shine. If he does nothing he will be sent down to juniors for further development. Good idea by the staff if this is their goal. If he lights it up, great; if not, more reason to send him down.

Okay....I've said this like 100000 times, but Carbonneau publicly said to the media that he is not going to be sent down to the juniors. He is with the club the whole season.

And Samsonov on the 4th line? hmm...I know he could use a bit of a wake up call but he's been more noticeable on the ice than Kovalev has been..

I think its gonna be okay with Sammy on the 4th, the line number really dont matter, but whos on the 4th again? begin and sammy and who......... i foget

It'll be Garth Murray, and when Downey gets healthy he'll be in the mix too.

I'm actually kind of worried about Samsonov on the 4th line, I'm not sure how comfortable he'll be. He's been playing with skill guys ever since he broke into the NHL, not sure how he'll adjust playing with toilers like Begin and Murray.

all i hope is that latendresse will prove that he was worth keeping up...it could always be good...if you look at the toronto rookie Wellwood since he's been playing with the big guys is been racking up points

It will be interesting to see what the power play will be... I'm sure Carboneau will keep Koivu-Higgins-Ryder, but who will play with Kovalev on the second unit ... Latendresse, Bonk, Samsonov, Johnson or Plekanec. I would go with Latendresse (throw him in front of the net) and Samsonov (Right hand shot playing the left side)

Edited by Topgun19

I've wanted to see Latendresse on the PP from the beginning of the year, for the simple reason that it would be quality ice time with skill guys without having to deal with any defensive duties (which, I think we all agree, is his biggest flaw right now). I'd like to see him get that chance now.

I think Kovalev got tired of Samsonov and decided he wanted Lats on his line, as simple as that. Whenever Lats got some time with them, oops! Kovalev suddenly looks interested.

The 3rd line has Chipchura written all over it. Plekanec will entrench himself on one of the two lines in due time. He works hard, he's smart and responsible. His offense will come, I dont think anyone should worry about it. The whole 2nd line has had trouble clicking and its not just Plex's fault. They were a mismatch. Hopefully having a different type of player in Latendresse will create better chemistry amongst all three.

Kovy offered to play center. I don't think it was because he wants a different winger.

Pleks does play hard and can be good defensively. Unfortunately, there is zero evidence he will ever entrench himself on the first two lines. He has never had that level of skill at any level of hockey.

It is not all Plek's fault, but he is not helping because he is out of his league.

I think a lot of that is Kovalev's frustration with the center situation. Plekanec is lost out there in the offensive zone, and I think it's demoralizing. Kovelev had to deal with an underachieving Ribs last season, and now an outright incapable Plekanec this season. That's got to break your spirit after awhile. I blame management more than I do either Plekanec or Kovalev...both are victims of a circumstance created by management's inability to get a proper 2nd line center.

The only thing they r victims of are kovalevs cockyness. This guy thinks he owns everything. I am not really against cockyness...but it has to be of worthy cause.

One thing....kovalev is not a leader...regardless of the fact he captained russia. He thinks he is better than everyone else....even tho he is, its not a good attutude to have, as he puts no effort in trying to make ppl around him feel comfortable like saku does.

And i know this from experience....i can feeel cocky and confident at times, but i feel like a true leader, who is taking things in the right direction, when i make ppl around me feel comfortable.

One game, plex went to the net and someone cranked him and punched him in the face, and obvioously he got pissed and yelled and skated towards the guy.....kovalev just grabbed plex by the face and pushed him back and plex fell over the ref...u dont ever expect ur own teammate to do that..especially a vet, and supposed leader. If saku were in that situation he would maybe hold plex back...but talk to him and say cool down buddy its all good lets get them back on the score sheet.

I could be wrong...this is just my opinion which i back very strongly...and it seems carbo does as well as kovys got no A on his jersey nemore....seems to me the only reason it was given to him was to try to give him a confidence boost.

I like kovalev..dont get me wrong...i like everyone on this team...we got something special here. Carbo is doing a good job handling situations and i really hope he figures kovalev out..cuz if he does... kovalev could easily get 100 points in my mind with the skill set he has

You know, another point in all this is, why are line numbers set in stone? Just because you're on the 'fourth line' doesn't mean that that line HAS to get token ice time. One way carbo could maybe have defused the situation is to make the classic coach's case that Montreal doesn't HAVE a first or fourth line - just one checking line and three scoring ones, and ice time will go to whichever line is generating the most on any given night. Presto, problem solved (at least temporarily).

Carbo may be slightly too honest for his own good. He public comments don't always seem as carefully chosen as they might be... :P

When i heard that Latendresse was hit by Chara in the first period,

i thought concussion ? No. Good. So it is part of the learning in the NHL,

he is physically toostrong to play junior so the coaches would send their goon after him because he would hurt weaker players. So he is a boy in a man body playing with a team that care enought to protect him from bad influence (Ribeiro trade) training witn one of the best trainer Scott Livington who is taking care that he is not only strong but flexible. And he has positive influence with players that are eager to win.