Samsonov pissed off

les_glorieux

MONTREAL (CP) - It is hardly the grand return to Boston that Sergei Samsonov wanted.

The veteran winger, who was the Montreal Canadiens' big off-season signing, arrived at practice Wednesday to find he was demoted to the fourth line in favour of rookie Guillaume Latendresse.

''I'm not shocked,'' an angry Samsonov said. ''If you keep track of my ice time, that's what I'm getting right now, I'm a fourth-line player.

''When I came here, I thought I was going to be a go-to guy and obviously, that's not the case right now. What is it going to take? I don't know. We'll see.''

Montreal's game in Boston on Thursday night will be Samsonov's first in Beantown since he was traded by the Bruins on March 9 to the Edmonton Oilers.

The Moscow native had been with Boston since he was drafted eighth overall in 1997 and had his best season there with 75 points in 2000-01.

After helping Edmonton reach the Stanley Cup final last spring, he signed a US$7.05-million, two-year contract as a free agent with Montreal.

Samsonov was playing with Alex Kovalev and centre Tomas Plekanec but they did not find the chemistry that coach Guy Carbonneau was hoping for.

Looking for goals, Carbonneau put the bigger, more physical Latendresse in the five-foot-eight Samsonov's spot on the Kovalev line in the third period of a 4-1 loss to Buffalo on Monday night.

They didn't score, but the coach liked what he saw enough to try it again in Boston. Samsonov had only 12:16 of ice time in the game.

''I think I'm playing well,'' said Samsonov, who has two goals and two assists in eight games. ''It's frustrating when your team is down 3-0 in the third period and you end up sitting on the bench watching the game.

''If that's the case, then obviously I'm not needed here.''

The 27-year-old now wonders where he stands with team management and whether he has a future in Montreal.

''I'm getting paid too much to sit on the bench and watch hockey games and, if that's the case, we'll see where it goes from here,'' Samsonov added.

''I obviously made a commitment to this team. I brought my family here. I bought a house. I'm fully committed to this team, so hopefully we'll come up with something.''

Carbonneau said Samsonov ''is not going anywhere,'' but he wants to roll four lines and needs them all to produce.

He doesn't want to break up his top trio of Saku Koivu, Chris Higgins and Michael Ryder, or his third line of Radek Bonk, Mike Johnson and Alexander Perezhogin, both of which have played well.

That left the fourth line, where Samsonov found himself skating with checkers Steve Begin and Garth Murray.

''You don't want to rely on one line for scoring every game,'' said Carbonneau. ''We need to find line combinations to balance our attack.

''I have nothing against Samsonov, but it's not working right now with Alex. I saw him play before and when we talked about signing him last summer, I was all for it. He's a good player, but we'll keep trying combinations.''

Before training camp, general manager Bob Gainey said he expected Samsonov would need time to adjust to a new team and that he was more interested in how he will be playing in February than in October.

''If that's the plan, somebody's got to let me know,'' added Samsonov.

Samsonov's loss was an unexpected gain for Latendresse, the 19-year-old right winger who made the team after a strong camp.

The Ste-Catherine, Que., native looked lost in his first handful of games, but has begun to find his niche in the last two by hitting opponents and battling for pucks in the corners.

''The role is going to be different and it's up to me to take my chance and try to stay on that line and have a bigger role on the team,'' said Latendresse, who is still seeking his first NHL point.

''Like I told the two players I'm going to play with, if I go in the corner, I'm just going to take the body and you guys take the puck. You're the playmakers, so make your plays and I'm going to be there at the net.''

Where Samsonov and Kovalev both like to hang onto the puck and roam in the attacking zone, Latendresse heads straight in for a hit or goes to the net.

The six-foot-two 229-pound winger also likes to crowd the net to screen goalies and pick up rebounds. The Canadiens intend to keep Latendresse for the entire season rather than return him to the junior Drummondville Voltigeurs.

''In the last two or three games, he felt more confident with the puck on his stick,'' said Carbonneau. ''He wasn't just trying to get rid of it.

''In the first four or five games he made some soft mistakes, which is normal. Now we need to find out what kind of player he is.''

Cristobal Huet, off to a tepid start with a 3.15 goals-against average and an .885 save percentage, is to start in goal for Montreal against Boston's Tim Thomas, who is downright cold with a 4.40 GAA and .866 save percentage.

The Bruins have called up defenceman Matt Lashoff, who they selected 22nd overall in the 2005 draft, to shore up a defence that is without Brad Stuart (broken finger) and Andrew Alberts (separated shoulder). Forward Marco Sturm (knee) is also out.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not good. Having disgruntled players is never a good thing.

As I said in the other related thread, a pissed off Samsonov might be an impressive Samsonov...we'll see...

BTW, having disgruntled players can be ok when you have the talent to replace them which is something the Canadiens have sorely lacked in recent seasons.

Edited by PMAC

But he's basically sucked, so far. Four points in eight games is NOT the results you want from a player who defines himself as a 'go to guy.' If I were Carbo, I would see how he responds and then work to heal the hurt feelings - but at the same time, the man has to produce. End of story. A coach who gives underperformers 25 minutes of ice time per game is guaranteed to ice a losing squad.

If he would've reacted any other way, I think Habs management would've been pissed. Good, he's been challenged, and Carbonneau is showing this team that he expects results. The only thing I can hope is that he uses this frustration to motivate himself, rather than pouting about his "demotion". Who knows, if Latendresse plays well, Gainey can trade Samsonov for that 2nd line center everyone wants (kidding, kidding).

The sad thing is that Kovy is playing worse than Samsonov, putting in far less effort. He has more points, but I'd guess part of that is just being on the PP a lot longer. While it's true that Kovy and Samsonov on the same line is probably not the best, it would have been improved significantly with the addition of Lats thereby placing Kovy at centre. Course, he doesn't know where his zone is at the best of times and he's already a minus player...

The biggest bonus, of course, is that the Habs are in an enviable position. Samsonov, a highly talented winger, has been demoted to the fourth line. In all liklihood, if Kosty was here, one of Begs or Murray would be out too. We have a PILE of talent these days.

Ah, Juha Lind and Johan Witehall. Where are you now?

[quote name='Colin' date='Oct 25 2006, 07:16 PM' post='144606'

Ah, Juha Lind and Johan Witehall. Where are you now?

Craig Darby... Christian Laflamme... Miroslav Guren... Jim Campbell...

Edited by option+

Samsonov had a lot more to say apparently, not good things anyway.

"I think I'm playing well," said Samsonov, who has two goals and two assists in eight games. "It's frustrating when your team is down 3-0 in the third period and you end up sitting on the bench watching the game.

"If that's the case, then obviously I'm not needed here."

The 27-year-old now wonders where he stands with team management and whether he has a future in Montreal.

"I'm getting paid too much to sit on the bench and watch hockey games and, if that's the case, we'll see where it goes from here,"

Extended version of TSN article

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...e34&k=84868

Hopefully this will light a fire under his ass and maybe he'll take over a game and win it by himself....but really what did we expect from this guy? A point a game. This guy has never been a point a game player and over his career he has averages less that 0.75 pts per game. So while we may have expected better than 4 points in 8 games, it was unrealistic to expect him to rack up huge points in Montreal.

As well I'm not sure its Samsonov's fault. Maybe Plekanec is the problem? He's a very good young hockey player but quite honestly is over his head playing with Samsonov and Kovalev. But of course MOntreal doesn't have anybodyelse to use as a second line centre so I guess shuffling guys around is the only option.

I think Latendresse will probably score in his first full game on this line and I believe he'll score a few times but ultimatley I don't think he's the solution either and will eventually be dropped back to the fourth line and Samsonov promoted.

IF the changes don't work, sometime around game 20 it'll be time to make a decision as to whether you make a run for the playoffs and trade for a centre who can help or leave the team alone and hope for the best.

hey, I hope he works his way onto the 1st line, but right now he isn't cutting it.

If Higgins wasn't performing so admirably, I'd love to see him beside Plekanec and Kovalev with Samsanov with Koivu and Ryder.

The decision to play Lats on the second line so early in the season seems aburd to me,........Carbo is

also taking away Samsonov's chance to explode against his former team in a building that could have

inspired him to do just that........contreversial decision,....bad timing....what was the rush anyway ?......we dont know nor Samsonov does.....Samsonov is no 4th liner.....Latendresse is a step behing the NHL, how can

that possibly upgrade the second line ? I dont like the move because I dont feel that Lats deserved it from the way he has handle himself at this point......it seems a desperate move but we only played 8 games.....I dont get it overall and the timing in itself is bad.

The decision to play Lats on the second line so early in the season seems aburd to me,........Carbo is

also taking away Samsonov's chance to explode against his former team in a building that could have

inspired him to do just that........contreversial decision,....bad timing....what was the rush anyway ?......we dont know nor Samsonov does.....Samsonov is no 4th liner.....Latendresse is a step behing the NHL, how can

that possibly upgrade the second line ? I dont like the move because I dont feel that Lats deserved it from the way he has handle himself at this point......it seems a desperate move but we only played 8 games.....I dont get it overall and the timing in itself is bad.

Agreed completely. I am a huge supporter of Lats, but I think moving him to the second line because of a couple nice hits last game is something I don't quite agree with.

Edited by habsfan88

Trading Ribs was a mistake. I think he was pumped for a good year ( and seems to be having it in Dallas) and when we had a Sammy, Ribs, kovy line, I was pretty optimistic.

If they traded Ribs for a better center, I would have been happy as well. Replacing him with Pleks was a mistake and now they have no one to replace him (I would move Bonk up).

I mean, Kovy offered to play center. He didn't ask for a different winger. He was also happy with Ribs, said several times at the end of last season that all they needed was a steady winger on the other side.He finally gets one, and ribs is shipped off before game one. Kovalev is obviously unhappy. Now Sammy is unhappy.. not good...

Sorry guys I don't get this at all.... What has Latendresse done so far to be moved up to the 2nd line? If its up to me ( which I know its not ) I send him back to the the Q. This guy has showed us nothing, zero, nothing. The timing is bad! he's going back home for the first time. Why not move Bonk to the second line and Plenks to the third line for one or two games ( Boston, maple laughs). Just a thought? I hope it all works out.... :hlogo:

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

Sorry guys I don't get this at all.... What has Latendresse done so far to be moved up to the 2nd line? If its up to me ( which I know its not ) I send him back to the the Q. This guy has showed us nothing, zero, nothing. The timing is bad! he's going back home for the first time. Why not move Bonk to the second line and Plenks to the third line for one or two games ( Boston, maple laughs). Just a thought? I hope it all works out.... :hlogo:

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

I agree 100 percent.

I am starting to wonder if it was Carbo who thought Pleks could play 2nd line center (allowing Gainey to trade Ribs), and he is having a hard time admitting he might be wrong.

Wow take a valium ladies & gentleman.....

This just sounds like some old fashioned coaching going on - motivation?

You know light a fire in the belly of the beast?

Replace a veteran guy who is being asked to play at a certain level and isn't by a young rookie with promise written all over him.

Nothing new in this man's game.

Sampsonov say's he' s a go to guy and he's pissed off..... then shut up and let your playing speak for your mouth.

"Be a man - do the right thing......" :rolleyes:

Edited by beliveau1

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to see it this way.

Latendresse has played better in the last couple of games, but he has not improved enough to play on the second line yet. This is less about promoting Lats and more about getting Samsonov to see that his play has to produce more than just rushes that end in missed passes and turnovers deep in the offensive zone. He's a very creative player, but at some point the puck has to go in the direction of the goalie, and he isn't getting it there enough.

Zoiks. Ribeiro? The centre isn't the problem with that line, in fact it's the hardest working part most nights. Plex has created a lot that the two gomers haven't finished. Don't talk about goddam Ribeiro and his "superstar" abilities. Better a pile of rat turd instead of him - still higher team spirit and less division in the dressing room.

Ribeiro. *snorts* What a joke.

Zoiks. Ribeiro? The centre isn't the problem with that line, in fact it's the hardest working part most nights. Plex has created a lot that the two gomers haven't finished. Don't talk about goddam Ribeiro and his "superstar" abilities. Better a pile of rat turd instead of him - still higher team spirit and less division in the dressing room.

Ribeiro. *snorts* What a joke.

ditto.....

Funny how, at the slightest sign of trouble, blames starts pouring all over the place

"Samsonov isn't doing anything"

"Plekanec isnt good enough for the 2nd line"

"Its Kovalev's fault"

"Latendresse don't belong in the NHL"

"Carbo can't make good lines"

"Gainey shouldn't have traded Ribeiro!"

Jesus... Guys, relax! Carbo said a week ago he was expecting more from the 2nd line... since then, no significant improvement. So he tried something to shake up that line vs Buffalo and he liked what he saw so he tries it again.

Happens all the time, everywhere around the league. That's how we got Higgins-Koivu-Ryder! Experiments until it clicked.