Seperate french-only sub-forum?

Why the segregation?

Is it just because usually whenever a link to a french article is posted somebody asks for it to be translated? Or do some people really, really want to be able to discuss the Habs with other people who only speak french?

This reminds me of Sportsnet's forums.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the official reasoning... but considering this a Habs forums, and a lot of Habs fans are french, it gives some space for guys to discuss matters in their first language, as well as attracting new members.

Maybe some of the potential new french members will be good guys and be able to contribute some to the sight... as in articles (in french) and things such as that as well... always a bonus. :D

You won't catch me in the french forums though, hehe, can't understand or write it too well, would only cause some confusion.

Not sure on the official reasoning... but considering this a Habs forums, and a lot of Habs fans are french, it gives some space for guys to discuss matters in their first language, as well as attracting new members.

Maybe some of the potential new french members will be good guys and be able to contribute some to the sight... as in articles (in french) and things such as that as well... always a bonus. :D

what he said ^_^

For "anglos" who do not care about French, it's hard to understand the necessity of a French subforum yes.

But for a "franco" lost on the net, with nowhere to wander about but the "talkbacks" on RDS... we provide a shelter.

There is really no good french place besides RDS for "francophones" so we try to provide a solution to that problem.

what he said ^_^

For "anglos" who do not care about French, it's hard to understand the necessity of a French subforum yes.

But for a "franco" lost on the net, with nowhere to wander about but the "talkbacks" on RDS... we provide a shelter.

There is really no good french place besides RDS for "francophones" so we try to provide a solution to that problem.

It's the complete same idea as the Canadiens.com forum.

A better question, Trizzak, is why you have ignored your invitation to join HWL, after you applied and appeared very interesting and joining should an opening arise, which it has.

I have received no invite. Was it in a thread?

what he said ^_^

There were french threads already, it was never prohibited...I guess I was just wondering why it's being secluded now.

But far be it from me to take away someone's sanctuary.

I have received no invite. Was it in a thread?

My bad, the PM he was talking about was sent to the possible opening, not to you. I'm pretty sure the GM is officially out, and I think that you top the waiting list at the moment. Nothing official yet.

I sent streamer an email a few days ago asking if I was actually the next person on the list, and I've received no response.

oh well, *fingers crossed*

Edited by Trizzak

I sent streamer an email a few days ago asking if I was actually the next person on the list, and I've received no response.

oh well, *fingers crossed*

At this point, we're still trying to confirm that Calgary is open. Streamer sent him a PM on the 23rd, and we've recieved no response, so we're close to officially losing him as GM.

I must admit I get it and its good that HW has a sub form but I feel kinda I don't know secluded and distant from the forum since I don't know french at all. Oh well. More people on here the better though.

Yeah i have that also. Why should there be talk about hockey that exclude people from talking about it. In the english threads everybody can say what he thinks about it, but on the french board you exclude people from it. I dont see the need...But maybe thats just me, and as Trizzak sad it before. If its so nescesary, so be it! But it dont get it.

Well there's enough French people to warrant a seperate forum I suppose.

Don't forget - the Canadiens are in a francophone city (well majority anyhow), and in a most definitely francophone province.

Oh, and it's quite amusing to see anglophones stumble into the french forums and post what is quite obviously babelfish francais.

If there's anything I learned from French in grade 6, it is that using babelfish can be spotted from a mile away by a french speaking individual.

I think a french only forum is a good idea, but the rules proposed seem a bit exclusionary. I can write poorly in french, so I wouldn't be able to post even though I am functionaly bilingual. Basically, my spelling sucks.

The problem I see is that there are many people who are french speakers who post in the other sections that are prodominantly English and their grammar and spelling leave something to be desired.

I think that the rules should be moderated a bit, thus allowing anglos to participate and hopefully become even better in writing and reading la langue Moliere.

My $1.85!

I have no problem from a personal point of view... I just wonder how it will impact on the 'unity' of this community.

One way to find out is to give it a shot.

How would we find this 'sub-forum'? Through a link? As a separate site?

Go :hlogo: Go!

I have no problem from a personal point of view... I just wonder how it will impact on the 'unity' of this community.

check the main forum page, right under the prospects link

The problem I see is that there are many people who are french speakers who post in the other sections that are prodominantly English and their grammar and spelling leave something to be desired.

I think that the rules should be moderated a bit, thus allowing anglos to participate and hopefully become even better in writing and reading la langue Moliere.

so - if my thought is interesting and contributes to the discussion, yet my grammar clearly shows that i'm an anglophone, i'm not allowed to post?

i don't see that in sakiqc's instructions for the French forum. am i wrong? i've already enjoyed reading it - and although i read in French even before English, living outside of Quebec now for the last 15 years has really hurt my bilingual status, IMO. but - in the event i decide i MUST contribute to a topic, i'd like to know that i can as long as i am doing my best in French (and as long as it is at least understandable reasonably close to correct french grammar).

besides - even if my French isn't good enough - i still think it's a great idea - i guess, selfishly, i hope i'm allowed to contribute should the topic move me to do so.

check the main forum page, right under the prospects link

thanks. i'll go in there too to give my 2 cents (this rather dates me, non?).

Agreed in full. I don't have one single problem with a french only sub-forum. (And I'm from the states, I don't speak a lick of french.) Way i see it, why not?!!! As long as it is no more exclusionary than the english forums are. if there are french forums, that's great, I don't have any problem with it, (after all, eastern canada is a significant part french to begin with.) but if there are limitations set on english speakers making a good faith attempt to participate, then I cannot agree that it is a good idea. French speakers are not excluded from the english forums, as choppy as the english may be. And in the same way, I do not think that engish speakers (not me obviously....lol :D ) who make a good faith efffort to participate in the discussions and in the french language should be excluded or frowned upon. Just a CHL Star's two cents (american or canadian). :)

Naaaah, dont worry guys, it won't be "exclusive"... I dont stand for double-standards... However if, say, someone starts a thread in English, then perhaps it'll be moved to the appropriate sub-forum, and vice-versa... We'll adjust to things as they go.

i don't see that in sakiqc's instructions for the French forum. am i wrong?

It was in the original request for a french section, and it stated something to the effect that proper french would have to be used. Since my french writing is anything but proper, then I thought it would exclude me. However, reading the new standards in the section, and Kozed's words here, leads me to believe that the bar will be a bit lower and it would allow me to post.

I think it is cool, because one of the things that has always bothered me with Quebec is this sense of apartheid.

I really like movements that bring the two somewhat different cultures closer together rather than trying to push them apart. :clap:

It was in the original request for a french section, and it stated something to the effect that proper french would have to be used. Since my french writing is anything but proper, then I thought it would exclude me. However, reading the new standards in the section, and Kozed's words here, leads me to believe that the bar will be a bit lower and it would allow me to post.

I think it is cool, because one of the things that has always bothered me with Quebec is this sense of apartheid.

I really like movements that bring the two somewhat different cultures closer together rather than trying to push them apart. :clap:

I think it was meant as not to use swears or contracted words such as bcp, ds....

for my part, I 'll try to write in way that everybody with a little knoledge(sp??) will understand.

as a francophone. I,m am glad to see a french a french sub-forum. sometimes I have a good Idea but since my vocabulary isn.t good enough I restrain my self of saying it.

as for the non french speakers on HW. I invite you to this thread and give it a shot. nobody will laugh at any attemps made by you guys/gals like you don't laugh when we write something silly. if anything we'll correct you.

if you need any help in french, you can always contact me. I'll be more than glad to help you !!

Edited by marky_and_komi