Latendresse making more than Higgins....

cmac34

$850 000 for three years. That kid will be great by the end of the season and amzing in year three where $850 000 will be considered a bargain. Then you will be saying what a genious move.

Kinda like the big shpeel you farted out that Kovalev would never be a center. Well, he is now. I don't know why you keep slammin on Latendresse. I guess you'll stop when he gets going.

How would giving a 2nd-round, 19 year old draftee a contract for almost the maximum allowed for a rookie be ever considered a genius move? There was no reason to give Latendresse that much money, no matter how well he did in camp, and no matter what'll do during those three years. That's "blue chip prospect" money, not "2nd round plesant surprise" money.

In his situation, Latendresse should have been on his knees begging for a contract, and thus not return to the juniors where he would ride the bus and not get any money. Instead, he's making just as much as Sidney Crosby (base contract) and Jordan Staal, and almost twice as much as Dion Phaneuf.

How would giving a 2nd-round, 19 year old draftee a contract for almost the maximum allowed for a rookie be ever considered a genius move? There was no reason to give Latendresse that much money, no matter how well he did in camp, and no matter what'll do during those three years. That's "blue chip prospect" money, not "2nd round plesant surprise" money.

In his situation, Latendresse should have been on his knees begging for a contract, and thus not return to the juniors where he would ride the bus and not get any money. Instead, he's making just as much as Sidney Crosby (base contract) and Jordan Staal, and almost twice as much as Dion Phaneuf.

do you think that they gave patrice bergeron the minimum ?? he got tha max money and he was a second rounder.

the only difference with latendresse is that bergeron was 18..not 19

Higgins settled for less because its his dream to be playing here, he could have got more easily but didnt want to because he's not selfish. he wants to look good in the canadaiens eyes, i see him as a player looking to be captain, wants to be here his whole career. He is confident he will make something of himself in later year and will be rewarded accordingly. some ppl just arent after the money.

Lats- is living the life, he was considered a first rounder but slipped to the second, he is a good player with high potential and again, french in a french city, he's got fans loving him dating back to last yrs training camp. He probably build buzz around the canadiens more(even though they dont have problems doing this themselves), so he wanted some money and got it. i think he will be better than jordan staal honestly, but in a few yrs. The guys a bit cocky, but many great players are, now he's just to let his play back up everything. Carbo and gainey know what this kid will become, so if they can make a possibly superstar happy from the beginning, he will want to play his ass off for the rest of his career in the CH.

money is money, its still a great deal of money if you look at it compared to most professions

do you think that they gave patrice bergeron the minimum ?? he got tha max money and he was a second rounder.

the only difference with latendresse is that bergeron was 18..not 19

Patrice Bergeron signed for 900K in 03-04, and that was before there was such a "low" rookie maximum salary. Latendresse got nearly the maximum allowed, and is getting exactly as much a blue chip prospect like Jordan Staal, who's a 2nd pick overall.

I just think that we had the big end of the stick in Latendresse's case, and we folded right away. Hopefully, he will remember that in 3 years when comes time to sign a new contract.

Edited by CerebusClone

Patrice Bergeron signed for 900K in 03-04, and that was before there was such a "low" rookie maximum salary. Latendresse got nearly the maximum allowed, and is getting exactly as much a blue chip prospect like Jordan Staal, who's a 2nd pick overall.

I just think that we had the big end of the stick in Latendresse's case, and we folded right away. Hopefully, he will remember that in 3 years when comes time to sign a new contract.

I dont know the specifics relating to Staal's contract but you have used Crosby's contract in your previous post to demonstrate that Lats's contract was inflated.

From what I know, once the incendive are cashed-in by Crosby, his annual salary could look like 4 millions....

if that is the case they would be no rationnel for comparing the two because those two entirelly different players have entirelly different contract......just as it should be......have I missed something ?

If this post doesn't clear up this thread then I don't know what will.

Higgins-Perezhogin-Murray-Plekanec..... contracts.

These guys signed for less this season because they were on TWO-WAY DEALS last season. Now they are all one ONE-WAY DEALS.

Latendresse contract

Latendresse's contract DOES NOT have rookie bonus' unlike Crosby and Ovechkin that will count against the cap. Hence why he was signed to that deal. His agent wanted performance bonus' in the deal but it was agreed upon that he would take the max contract WITHOUT the bonus at condition that Latendresse has a "can never ever be sent back to juniors" clause, WHICH HE HAS. So ignore all the garbage rumors of him being sent back to juniors, he already played his 10th game and IT'S IN HIS CONTRACT.

get your facts straight. to get that high salaries, Latendresse conceded any and all performance bonuses.

Latendresse's contract DOES NOT have rookie bonus' unlike Crosby and Ovechkin that will count against the cap. Hence why he was signed to that deal. His agent wanted performance bonus' in the deal but it was agreed upon that he would take the max contract WITHOUT the bonus at condition that Latendresse has a "can never ever be sent back to juniors" clause, WHICH HE HAS. So ignore all the garbage rumors of him being sent back to juniors, he already played his 10th game and IT'S IN HIS CONTRACT.

:clap:

Tony holds the truth! B)

You don't pay someone by what rank he was drafted at. Besides, he was considered an obvious 1st round pick before he got injured. I'm sure you already know this, but he was chosen 2nd overall in the Juniors draft - 2nd only to Crosby.

When you think about the DiPietro deal and why Wang made it you see that rookie signings are actually quite similar. The guy may not be worth the money right now, but the GM hopes that by the end of that contract, the player will be worth much, much more.

get your facts straight. to get that high salaries, Latendresse conceded any and all performance bonuses.

:clap:

Tony holds the truth! B)

If I'm correct (I didn't read the entire CBA in great details), most Schedule A (paid by the team) and Schedule B (paid by the league) performance bonuses for rookies are quite hard to reach, and only the very best rookies can even have a shot making big money during their entry-level contract. Besides a small bonus for games played, I doubt Latendresse conceded much, and as a matter of fact, he's probably better off with a very high base salary.

Bonuses or no bonus, guaranteed NHL contract or not, I still think we overpaid Latendresse. However, with that said, if his agent pulled this off and the Habs are satisfied with this contract, good for Guillaume. My only point is that I think he got too much, but I couldn't care any less about it. I'm not paying the extra 200K, and it won't really affect the team.

In the long run, from what I'm seeing, the contracts even out. If latendresse comes out with a couple thou more at the end of the contract, big deal.

He is a big strong talented forward. Watch him dig pucks in the offensive zone. The guy is an asset. Gainey and Carbo don't mind spending 2 or 3 years grooming a player to be great. We could have another Ryan Smythe on our hands.

In the long run, from what I'm seeing, the contracts even out. If latendresse comes out with a couple thou more at the end of the contract, big deal.

He is a big strong talented forward. Watch him dig pucks in the offensive zone. The guy is an asset. Gainey and Carbo don't mind spending 2 or 3 years grooming a player to be great. We could have another Ryan Smythe on our hands.

Yup... and that's one of the things that usually takes more time for young forwards to get because most of the NHL D-men are usually big and strong or more experienced.

I remember for years people used to say "if only Turner Stevenson had hands!" because he would win every battle for the puck but lacked talent to do anything with it. Lats might be just that: a Turner Stevenson with good hands.