Borat

habs_in_the_blood

Well teh fans of ali g will know what i am talking about the movie is coming out November 3rd....if you want a good laugh i advise you to go see that movie as soon as you get a chance..i didnt know that Prezhogin was from Kasaksthan lol...makes it that much more funny :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can tell, the main character is anti-semetic. Now, it's not like a movie where the audience learns about something through a character's anti-semetism, like in a movie about Nazis in WWII. Instead, the anti-semetism of Borat is intended to be funny. Why is it funny for Borat to be anti-semetic? Mel Gibson made one drunken comment about Jews and now everybody hates him. But these same people are going to watch this movie and laugh at anti-semetism.

This movie seems like a perfect example of how low American comdey has sunk.

I highly doubt that Borat is meant to be anti-semitic, considering that Sascha Baron Cohen is himself Jewish... he's actually quite devout and I think I read somewhere that he was involved in Zionist organizations at Cambridge. I find it far more likely that Borat is meant to satirize other people's anti-semitism.

Also, it warrants mentioning that Borat is a British creation that is being exported to the United States... it's certainly not American comedy.

Not sure if I'm going to see the movie... hopefully the entire movie isn't just the same gag ("Kazakhstan is funny because its backwards, HA HA HA") for two hours.

Edited by option+

Also, it warrants mentioning that Borat is a British creation that is being exported to the United States... it's certainly not American comedy.

Then I guess it's ont just American comedy that sucks.

I highly doubt that Borat is meant to be anti-semitic, considering that Sascha Baron Cohen is himself Jewish...

Yes, but even so, Jewish organizations taken offense at Borat. Just because he is Jewish, he shouldn't have a free ride to play an completely anti-semetic character. Reading up on this character, I am shocked at the things he says. There comes a point where satire is just as bad as what is being satired.

Yes, but even so, Jewish organizations taken offense at Borat. Just because he is Jewish, he shouldn't have a free ride to play an completely anti-semetic character. Reading up on this character, I am shocked at the things he says. There comes a point where satire is just as bad as what is being satired.

Which organizations have you seen? The Jewish Anti-Defamation League has said they love the character, they just think most of the audience won't be sophisticated enough to take the humor in stride.

WHy are people taking this gag to serious. The guy is an idiot, what he says makes no sence. It's just damn funny. Not all humor has to be well thoughfull. Sometimes it's good to have a stupid laugh. And i makes you aware how stupid it is he says. (why should people complain?, everybody knows its stupid, and you cant take it serious)

Relax!!

Which organizations have you seen? The Jewish Anti-Defamation League has said they love the character, they just think most of the audience won't be sophisticated enough to take the humor in stride.

That is one of the groups I read about speaking out against him, especially after the song he sang about throwing Jews into a well because it will free the country. I don't care if that is supposed to be satire, it's not funny.

Here's a good article on the Movie and Cohen.

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/films/artic...6_135826_135826

the Jewish Anti-Defamation League issued a solemn "Statement on the Comedy of Sacha Baron Cohen, a.k.a. 'Borat,' " in which it concluded that Cohen wasn't a self-hating Jew, but worried about the potential effects of Cohen's comedy: "The audience may not always be sophisticated enough to get the joke, and . . . some may even find it reinforcing their bigotry." In other words, the group fears that the movie may have a bad effect on people who are less sophisticated than they are.

aka they're fine with the movie, they just think not so smart people will see it as a movie to hate jews.

That is one of the groups I read about speaking out against him, especially after the song he sang about throwing Jews into a well because it will free the country. I don't care if that is supposed to be satire, it's not funny.

All my friends who are Jews that know that song find it hilarious. But I can dfinately see how it offends some people.

"The audience may not always be sophisticated enough to get the joke, and . . . some may even find it reinforcing their bigotry."

Which is exactly why Borat comes off as offensively anti-semetic. The majority of people going to see this movie don't even know the meaning of the word satire.

All my friends who are Jews that know that song find it hilarious. But I can dfinately see how it offends some people.

And I'm guessing they'd find it super offensive if a non-Jew, perhaps Mel Gibson, sang that song.

Ahhh, not my generation, or they wouldn't be such fans of the Colbert Report, South Park, Drawn Together etc.

I'd say a good number of the people who like those shows think they are funny just because they are dirty, racy, and offensive. Many of them have no idea that there is satire beneath the rough exterior.

I've not seen this movie... not really interested.

Will probably watch it when it comes on my TMN channels.

Go :hlogo: Go!

I'd say a good number of the people who like those shows think they are funny just because they are dirty, racy, and offensive. Many of them have no idea that there is satire beneath the rough exterior.

Really, hmm I don't think so. But whatever, I know that there are people out there who think Colbert is speaking the truth and there is a group of kids my age who get there political views from South Park. South Park Republicans, ever heard? One of the creators outed himself as a republican and the other is a registered liberatarian.

But then hey my aunt and uncle get all there political views from Rush like its the gospel, they listen to tapes of him off the internet if they don't get a chance to listen to him. I don't they don't see him as 'entertainment' which is exactly what he is: entertainment. All radio pundits are. Except we are sheep. bah bah bah.

I really, REALLY doubt that. Anyone I've talked to knows the shows aren't to be taken seriously.

man you guys always turn things politicaly....its just a freaking comedy...Fanpuck have you ever seen an Ali G show??? you criticize without knowing the subject...lol Ali G (the character was invited and gave the words to the graduates of Havard ( i think ) some big shot american university....or was it college? i cant recall but only you here seem to take it soo seriously...i cant wait to here your comments on Jackass 2