Borat

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Borat is hilarious there was a guy outside of the Bell Centre yalling something in a Borat "accent" along the lines of Alexander Perezhogin is my favourite player because he is from Kazakhastsn.

It was hilarious. The Ali G move was also fun.

As for the Colbert Report and the John Stewart Show they are also wicked I would love to see both of them run for President. :)

hehehe wonder if it will play in Japan, there is very little appreciation of satire or sarcasm here, humor in Japan basically is physical, like a guy hitting another over the head with an inflatable hammer is considered hilarious ;) .

Anyway the film's website is well done

Getting offended at something like this and failing to see that it is to be taken as poking fun at everyone shows (with all due respect) an inability to just loosen up and laugh at yourself and everything around you. We all (every religion, every race, every person) needs to take a deep breath and realize that we're all ridiculous. There are stereotypes for everyone (Just for the sake of example: We all could go on for days about negative stereotypes of Americans and Canadians....and most of them would elicit at least a grin from some of us). Cohen makes fun of everybody, just as do late night comics (Letterman, Leno, Kimmel, O'Brien), South Park, Family Guy, and the Colbert Report. They're equal opportunity lenders.

Lewis Black says it best when he says (and I'm paraphrasing) that every society needs humor. When a bunch of people get together and nobody has the ability to stand back and say 'haha,' then things turn scary. Humor is a way to keep things in balance.

Ultimately, the beauty of it is that if you don't want to see Borat or you don't think it's funny, then you have every right and privilege to save your time and money and not see it. The beauty of our system at work. On the other side, Cohen and the movie people have every right and privilege to make fun of me, to make fun of you, or whomever they choose. Luckily for us, there isn't a right or wrong answer. I, for one, will be inside the theatre laughing until my face falls off. :lol:

Looks like one of the dumbest movies of all time. Seriously, is a man drinking out of a toilet really supposed to be funny?

It was slightly funny back when Borat was just a segment on the Ali G Show. But that was ages ago. I marvel at the attention he gets now. Blows my mind.

man you guys always turn things politicaly....its just a freaking comedy...Fanpuck have you ever seen an Ali G show??? you criticize without knowing the subject...lol Ali G (the character was invited and gave the words to the graduates of Havard ( i think ) some big shot american university....or was it college? i cant recall but only you here seem to take it soo seriously...i cant wait to here your comments on Jackass 2

What's political in here?

Jackass, another insanely stupid movie. Why is people hurting themselves funny? It's like the days of America's Funniest Home Videos where people getting hurt always drew the loudest laugh from the audience. Watching people get hurt isn't funny. A bird dive-bombing a cat, now THAT is a funny home video.

People seem to take pleasure in other people's pain. Jackass is just one example. Another would be NASCAR. Many people who watch it only watch because they like to see the big wrecks. And even many "hockey fans" in America are there for only the hits and fighting. I'm sure there are some of those in Canada too, but I think they are in the vast minority up there. When I go to games down here, I invariably here a number of people around me yelling "fight!" every time there's a bit of a pile up. It's the reason why Jody Shelley is as popular as Rick Nash.

"Stupid comedy" is fine. Talladega Nights was one of the funniest movies I've seen. I just despise comedy like Jackass that relies on people's visceral reactions to things that if not used in a comedy, would be very offensive. Anyone can pull off that kind of humor. And most of the time, that kind of comedy is done at the expense of decency. How is a song, even if it is a joke, about killing Jews funny? It's like the difference between Family Guy and The Simpsons. The Simpsons do a great job of satiring US culture, and does so in a way that rarely is offensive. Family Guy is also a great satire often, but they cross the line of decency all the time. Do people deserve to be made fun of? Of course they do. But that shouldn't give people a free ride to do so offensively.

Ultimately, the beauty of it is that if you don't want to see Borat or you don't think it's funny, then you have every right and privilege to save your time and money and not see it. The beauty of our system at work. On the other side, Cohen and the movie people have every right and privilege to make fun of me, to make fun of you, or whomever they choose. Luckily for us, there isn't a right or wrong answer. I, for one, will be inside the theatre laughing until my face falls off. :lol:

And I never called for the movie to be banned, I've just commented about why I won't go see it. Making fun of people is great, but there is a line of common decency that should be respected. I find the anti-semetism of Borat just like the word "######" or other racial slurs. People of those races can slur each other all the time in a joking manner, but if anyone else uses those terms who isn't a member of that race, people get pissed off, even if they were using the term every bit as jokingly as the member of that race.

How is a song, even if it is a joke, about killing Jews funny?

Its not about the song its about the peoples reactions in the movie. If they're singing along, thats hilarious if they're are stone faced thats hilarious. The whole point of Borat is that Cohen is being a character that people hate to see. Cohen is being a character that shows how stupid racism/sexism etc. is. Its smart and edgy. If people don't get that which is crazy not to get it they must be from another planet. Basically the whole character is making fun of racists by being racist.

Archie Bunker comes to mind.

hehehe wonder if it will play in Japan, there is very little appreciation of satire or sarcasm here, humor in Japan basically is physical, like a guy hitting another over the head with an inflatable hammer is considered hilarious ;) .

But that IS funny! :)

Yeah those Japanese guys have a strange way of Humor! Seen it a dozen times on tv but i dont get it. Its sure physical.

This one time they had a bath with very hot water. And a women sitting on a chair with hardly any cloths on. And when the guy could sit in the batch the chair wiggled or so and it pleasured her, in some way. But the water was just to hot, so he could hardly stay in it. Weird!!

Yeah those Japanese guys have a strange way of Humor! Seen it a dozen times on tv but i dont get it. Its sure physical.

This one time they had a bath with very hot water. And a women sitting on a chair with hardly any cloths on. And when the guy could sit in the batch the chair wiggled or so and it pleasured her, in some way. But the water was just to hot, so he could hardly stay in it. Weird!!

lol those japs are something else!

is what i mean!

that guys hilarious man....he brings the worst out of everybody...when he talks about roughing up people...'no its in the movies...well we dont do it as often as in the movies.." lol dumbass

Wow, I can't believe how much people are getting twisted up about this.

First and foremost, Sacha went to Cambridge University, so I doubt he is an idiot. He is probably smarter than most people on this board. Respect!

Second, who gives a hoot if the humour is too sophisticated for the average red-necked racist. I don't think everything should be dummied down to suit the lowest common denominator. If you don't get it, tough. You miss out. And if you are a racist hick, well your a racist hick anyway ... and I am totally surprised that you even found out about the Ali G show.

On another note, did anyone see Borat's responce to criticism from Kazakstan towards Sasha Reubens? He said, "Yes, I think we should kill that Jew bastard!" Friggin' hallarious! I almost cried. And so did my jewish fiancee ... who loves Borat.

Love irony :clap:

Wow, I can't believe how much people are getting twisted up about this.

First and foremost, Sacha went to Cambridge University, so I doubt he is an idiot. He is probably smarter than most people on this board. Respect!

Second, who gives a hoot if the humour is too sophisticated for the average red-necked racist. I don't think everything should be dummied down to suit the lowest common denominator. If you don't get it, tough. You miss out. And if you are a racist hick, well your a racist hick anyway ... and I am totally surprised that you even found out about the Ali G show.

On another note, did anyone see Borat's responce to criticism from Kazakstan towards Sasha Reubens? He said, "Yes, I think we should kill that Jew bastard!" Friggin' hallarious! I almost cried. And so did my jewish fiancee ... who loves Borat.

Love irony :clap:

yes movie is almost out...i cant barely wait...downloaded most of is tv stuff

Who called him stupid?

And once again, the fact that I disagree with the humor of the satire or Borat has nothing to do with my reason for thinking this movie looks stupid. I think it looks stupid because nothing in the commercials is funny, much of it is complete crap. Seriously, nobody has been able to tell me why watching a man drink from a toilet is even remotely funny.

Who called him stupid?

WHy are people taking this gag to serious. The guy is an idiot, what he says makes no sence. It's just damn funny.

On re-reading it he may be saying that Borat is stupid ... but I'm not too sure. Eitherway, Fanpuck, I don't think we should dummy down humour because people don't get it, or because racist red-necks may take it literally. That was my primary point.

was he drinking from the toilet? Looked like he was washing. . .

Does it really matter? Either way it is unbelievably stupid.

Also, everything I've said is just my opinion. I'm just giving reasons why I have no desire to see this movie. Yes, I realize it is a satire, but I'm just not a big fan of comedy that in most situations would be offensive. Just my personal preference. I don't get why people seemed pissed at me for not wanting to see this movie. It's not like I've been on here saying the movie should be banned.

its in your face satire.

If it's satire, what is the target of the satire? What is the ultimate goal? Is it about the audience's ignorance of another culture? Is it about the differences between a first world country like the US and a second world country like Kazakhstan? Is it just about this guy Borat? Is it even satire? Is this just a character like Andy Kaufman's Latka Gravis or Tony Clifton?

I would say that the target of the satire is the average American, specifically; and generally it is the average westerner. I base this on the fact the Borat tends to interview these people. Why does he do this? Well it is probably because many westerners think of people from certain parts of the middle east and other muslim nations as backwards. Also, many westerners are pretty racist, but they pretend not to be.

By going to the american mid west and doing a ho-down where he talks about killing jews, and people just sing and dance along, he is exposing their racist tendencies. Then he goes an does another ho-down as the gay german fashion critic and he gets ostracized by the crowd.

Furthermore, borat also goes to see people who aren't overtly racist, and by portraying a backwards middle eastern borat actually plays in to peoples stereotypical thinking of small town muslims, and you get to see westerners squirm as they try to keep their composure infront of this Kazakstanian journalist. They don't want to be rude and say, "that is disgusting. I can't believe that you are saying this to me!" and they don't always say "you must be joking!". They take Borat as an authentic Kazaki, which demonstrates that their concept of people from that part of the world is seriously twisted.

So, the victim of this satire is infact us ... Westerners.

Fan Puck, you have every right not to like the films, but don't expect people to remain quite when you try to deligitimitize the humour Borat employs. Boral is not "Jackass". If you were to insult jackass in the same way most people wouldn't have a problem with you saying that it is slapstick stupid humour (I know that this isn't a direct quote ... just too lazy to track it down).

Fan Puck, you have every right not to like the films, but don't expect people to remain quite when you try to deligitimitize the humour Borat employs. Boral is not "Jackass". If you were to insult jackass in the same way most people wouldn't have a problem with you saying that it is slapstick stupid humour (I know that this isn't a direct quote ... just too lazy to track it down).

Washing his face in a toilet. Crapping in a bag and serving it at dinner. Yeah, that's not slapstick humor. :wacko: