PITTSBURGH

habs_in_the_blood

well so far they are ranked 3rd in the east....what to think of this team do you guys think they might be a playoffs team?? i mean they have the talent...but do they have the core needed to go far...or are people going to get used to there young talent and shut it down?? your toughts?

They won't finish #3 in the conference (a surge from New Jersey is inevitable), but I'm pretty sure they'll make the playoffs. They're going to keep scoring goals no matter what, the question is whether they'll prevent enough to make the playoffs. I'm going to say yes. Fleury finally looks like he's figured out the NHL (not coincidently, this is the first year the Penguins have given him a goalie coach). That D is kind of anonymous, but some of these no-name guys they have (Noah Welch, Josef Melichar, Mark Eaton) are actually pretty good.

I'm firmly on the Pittsburgh bandwagon (except when they play the Habs, of course)

...but...if they get good, they won't get great draft picks anymore.....

thats ok, they're more in a need for a supporting cast around malkin and crosby.

The Pens are bound to go down soon. The lack of defense will come to haunt them sooner or later.

when you have a hot goalie, anything can go. I agree, though, that they need guys to clean the nets and block shots

I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs, but I'd be really shocked if they managed to get anywhere once they're there. Seems to me it's just Malkin and Crosby, Staal the younger to an extent, and Fleury is pretty hot right now. But in the long run I don't see them going anywhere unless they give Lamin and Crosby the backing-up that is needed for playoff success.

I've seen 'em twice this season, both times against Philly. I don't know about the second game, but the first time they were badly outshot (like 40-22) but still managed to win 4-0. That will never hold in the long run; basically I think it's their defense that needs to be improved.

There are too many holes in this team. If they make the playoffs, it'll be as a 7th or 8th seed and they will go out in the 1st round.

The core is set around their 3 young centers but they need more talent around them. On the bright side they have a lot of underrated players like Nils Ekman and Colby Armstrong.

The Rangers own that division though.

Hmm no I believe the Pens are for real!

Unless someone smacks the living shit out of Malkin or Crosby they will make the Playoffs and surprise! the Rangers are swaying!