2003 Draft Revisited

habitual_hab

2003 Draft Revisited

Here's a look at how Fleury and each of the 29 other first-round selections of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft have developed so far this season...

forecaster link

10. Montreal - Andrei Kastsitsyn, RW, CSKA Moscow (Russia)

2003-04 (RSL): 10 GP, 0-1-1, -, 2 PIM

The Canadiens gambled on the Belarusian's offensive potential with the 10th pick in the draft last June, despite Kastsitsyn's history of an epileptic-like condition. However, they didn't sign him and bring him over to the AHL, nor did the winger move to the WHL's Medicine Hat Tigers (who selected Kastsitsyn in the 2003 CHL Import Draft). Instead, he stayed with CSKA Moscow but has not been able to crack the Russian Super League lineup. Instead, Kastsitsyn has played mainly for CSKA-2 in the junior developmental league (14 GP, 11-8-19, -, 8 PIM). Furthermore, he didn't dominate in the WJC's B tournament against lesser competition. Therefore, the jury is still out on Kastsitsyn's long-term NHL potential.

Development Grade: C-

Thanks for the link...

I want to point out something to CBS though... N.Zherdev was also playing 4th line on CSKA's main team (and some time on CSKA-2) ... And look at him now , he's playing pretty decent in Columbus...

Russian leagues are not designed for prospect development , the teams in the RSL want to win NOW , therefore older veteren players usually get the top line spots , and of course RSL teams arent stupid , they know they are going to lose prospects to the NHL , so why showcase the guy and lose him earlier?

Most scouting reports I've heard about Kastsitsyn's year so far have been very favourable...this is the first bad report I've heard. It looks like they are just reading numbers and making a statement without really seeing him play. If that's the case then they really shouldn't bother...

• 3 weeks later...

Gauthier went to see Kastitsyn himself earlier in the year and said he came away very impressed, he said he had one of the best skill sets he'd ever seen.

I trust this analysis more because it's the only one from a NHL Habs scout, and done in person.

Al the other reports are 2nd hand accounts just looking at stats and what they've read about him... doesn't mean anything to me.