Game Thread | Oilers vs. Montreal | 11/07/06

Spider-Man NL

... and one in the teeth for all the Lats doubters.

+1, 19:46 of ice time, 5 shots, 6 hits, 1 tying goal.

Not gonna make anyone forget about Higgins, but he stepped up. Good to see the vets on that line (Koivu and Ryder) stepped up too. They could have just took the easy way out since Higgins was argueably the best Habs player so far this season.

Should be critical that the line keeps working well vs Toronto and Ottawa in the next two games on the road. Now if the 2nd line could just get more consistent, we wouldn't depend so much on Koivu's line and the PP for offense.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate lats at all, I am just not impressed with his play, given all the hype.

that's the problem, all the hype -- remember the kid was a mid second-round pick, the media has got people expecting him to be a superstar. I'm not saying that's what you expect, but if this were any other city, fans like us would be quietly watching a young player develop -- instead were being told he's the second coming!

I don't want to talk about Latendresse. I thought that was a fantastic win considering we played the whole game without Higgins, for a 5 minute stretch without Komisarek and a 10 minute stretch without Souray.

I know the refs were excessively harsh to give Souray a 10 and let Greene get away without a major for kneeing Johnson, but let's not forget that we had 9 PPs and the Oilers only had 4. Yellowknife is full of Oilers fans, and I've already gotten 4 "stupid Habs get all the calls!" e-mails. The Souray/Greene calls aside, the refs probably went easy on us tonight (I bet Craig MacTavish wished he hadn't said anything about the officiating, huh?).

Wll I was very pleased with the 2 points but am even more happy with Johnson coming back. I really hope he is okay because if the Habs lost him right now it would be a major blow. I am guessing it was just a charlie horse or something. He now has 3 full days off to ice it and rest it.

Aebischer played really well and I am excited for Saturday I just really hope the Habs show up for 60 + minutes.

Looks like I missed a good one... Glad to hear Johnson's ok.. the five mins I caught of the game at work were was when the knee-on-knee occured, and I was fuming for the rest of the night...

Let's rest up, and win a decisive game over TO on Saturday.

What a dangle my my Favorite player AK 27 to win it for us in the shootout! :D

What a great Pre-Birthday Present (since mine is Nov 8th :D ) the habs win in dramatic fashion and my favorite player snipes the GWG goal for me in a shootout!!!!!!!!

Woooo!!!!

... and one in the teeth for all the Lats doubters.

+1, 19:46 of ice time, 5 shots, 6 hits, 1 tying goal.

Not gonna make anyone forget about Higgins, but he stepped up. Good to see the vets on that line (Koivu and Ryder) stepped up too. They could have just took the easy way out since Higgins was argueably the best Habs player so far this season.

Should be critical that the line keeps working well vs Toronto and Ottawa in the next two games on the road. Now if the 2nd line could just get more consistent, we wouldn't depend so much on Koivu's line and the PP for offense.

I wouldn't call that "one in the teeth". I thought Begin played a better game then Lats. Seriously, if that is all it takes for you to declare Lats the real thing, you are just trying too hard to love the guy. :)

I want to see him scoring at a first line pace for 5 to 10 games before I am convinced he belongs there. As I have said before, he is being given more opportunities then any prospect I have seen in the last few years, so he better step up. So far, he still looks to me like a guy who needs to keep working on his game on the 4th line for a while.

That said, I knew that little whiff Lats took at the puck would make your day, so please, enjoy. :rolleyes:

Well I was pretty skeptical of Lats being on the first line yesterday, but I'm ready to admit I was wrong. Begin did also play a gutsy game, but Lats did more offensively. And its not just RDS claiming Lats was our best player - Sportsnet West (Edmonton broadcast) gave him the 2nd star after Smyth. If you call it down the middle, I think you have to admit that Lats played a great game on the first line. He did not look out of place at all.

I also did not agree with Carbo's choice to put him in the shootout, but I disagree with about half the shootout choices anyways so I guess the coach can get the benefit of the doubt for a hunch, espescially if we end up winning.

I don't hate lats at all, I am just not impressed with his play, given all the hype.

Besides, he looked terrible on the shootout, so it is not helping Lat's confidence to put him in a spot he should not be in. It might be a crapshoot, but he is not the guy I would hand the dice to. ;)

I try to be very realistic when I evaluate players, good or bad. I don't love or hate Lats, I judge him solely on his performance. To date, there is nothing to get excited about. At some point, he either flowers into this awesome player people think he will be, or this experiment has to stop before they ruin the kid. I believe he can develop, but they are pushing it too hard, imo.

I have an honest question for you - and I'm not saying it in any way to be sarcastic, rude or arrogant!

But I was just wondering if you have ever coached or managed hockey at a level which involves developing young players who are well beyond the house league sphere? :?-

Again I'm curious based on the content of your posts and not because I'm being sarcastic?

I wouldn't call that "one in the teeth". I thought Begin played a better game then Lats. Seriously, if that is all it takes for you to declare Lats the real thing, you are just trying too hard to love the guy. :)

Go read the Higgins' out for 6 weeks thread and look at all the negative comments directed toward Lats getting 1st line time. The way he responded last night was a nice big juicy "**** off" to all the nay-sayers.

Not shredding the kid to pieces every time he gives the puck away (like you seemingly love to do) isn't "trying too hard to love the kid", its just being reasonable, patient and fair with a 19 yrs old kid in his first taste of the NHL, ie. not being short-sighted.

I want to see him scoring at a first line pace for 5 to 10 games before I am convinced he belongs there. As I have said before, he is being given more opportunities then any prospect I have seen in the last few years, so he better step up. So far, he still looks to me like a guy who needs to keep working on his game on the 4th line for a while.

For years I kept hearing some fans whine that the Habs weren't giving kids a chance. For years I've heard some fans bitch that other teams had 18-19 yrs old play on the top lines, but the Habs couldn't do it.

Now a kid comes along, is the best player in two consecutive camps, gets a real chance and after 10 games the same type that whined and bitched in the past is now, again, whining and bitching because "he don't belong there" or "he's getting favored treatment" and take pleasure in pointing out every which way the kid is a failure.

Thank God the coaching staff has more faith in their players and prospects than those fans.

That said, I knew that little whiff Lats took at the puck would make your day, so please, enjoy. :rolleyes:

What made my day was the other more important stats: ice time, shots, hits and PP time. The goal was just a bonus.

But I knew you'd find a way to put Lats down. Like I knew you'd find a way to bitch about Niinimaa and call Carbo stupid. Sorry to tell you so, but your bad faith really is that predictable.

Go read the Higgins' out for 6 weeks thread and look at all the negative comments directed toward Lats getting 1st line time. The way he responded last night was a nice big juicy "**** off" to all the nay-sayers.

Not shredding the kid to pieces every time he gives the puck away (like you seemingly love to do) isn't "trying too hard to love the kid", its just being reasonable, patient and fair with a 19 yrs old kid in his first taste of the NHL, ie. not being short-sighted.

For years I kept hearing some fans whine that the Habs weren't giving kids a chance. For years I've heard some fans bitch that other teams had 18-19 yrs old play on the top lines, but the Habs couldn't do it.

Now a kid comes along, is the best player in two consecutive camps, gets a real chance and after 10 games the same type that whined and bitched in the past is now, again, whining and bitching because "he don't belong there" or "he's getting favored treatment" and take pleasure in pointing out every which way the kid is a failure.

Thank God the coaching staff has more faith in their players and prospects than those fans.

What made my day was the other more important stats: ice time, shots, hits and PP time. The goal was just a bonus.

But I knew you'd find a way to put Lats down. Like I knew you'd find a way to bitch about Niinimaa and call Carbo stupid. Sorry to tell you so, but your bad faith really is that predictable.

YES!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

LATENDRESSE WAS THE BEST OF BOTH TEAMS. GO TO BOXSCORE

is't a bit harsh for aebischer who saved our butt in the first period.

I also enjoyed koivu's play. he really enjoyed having a big winger for the first time in his career.

Wow. Good to see a win divide the Habs supporters so firmly. :P

One thing's for sure, Pedneault et al have their new deity at whose feet they can worship. Latendresse could certainly do no wrong according to the broadcast crew.

I might like to point out, though, that, while he did play a very solid game, he still has a long way to go. He made more than a few rookie-type errors and his decisions were questionable at times. That said, there's no doubt he's come a long way since his first game of the season. I'm pleased that the staff is giving a kid this opportunity and, based on his development from game one until now, they are thus far vindicated.

He was, however, certainly not the best Canadien out there last night. That is... well, laughable.

is't a bit harsh for aebischer who saved our butt in the first period.

I also enjoyed koivu's play. he really enjoyed having a big winger for the first time in his career.

OK, you are correct. How about "skater"?

Please almighty deity, please help him keep on keeping on :P

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Wow. Good to see a win divide the Habs supporters so firmly. :P

One thing's for sure, Pedneault et al have their new deity at whose feet they can worship. Latendresse could certainly do no wrong according to the broadcast crew.

I might like to point out, though, that, while he did play a very solid game, he still has a long way to go. He made more than a few rookie-type errors and his decisions were questionable at times. That said, there's no doubt he's come a long way since his first game of the season. I'm pleased that the staff is giving a kid this opportunity and, based on his development from game one until now, they are thus far vindicated.

He was, however, certainly not the best Canadien out there last night. That is... well, laughable.

Didn't catch the game last night as I was at work & couldn't follow it on-line either as I was really busy here.... so can't comment on how Latendresse played?

I'm just sick of people ragging on him (and others constantly.) He's a work in progress that needs to be judged accordingly? People need to look for small steps of progress that indicate the fact he's improving, not getting worse. His progress isn't to be judged on goals & assists as some people here are doing.

This is a very good second round choice who's a power type forward - not a 50 goal scorer - that has been mistakenly dubbed as the Franco-Saviour. He's not going to beat with you blinding speed, flashy moves or highlight reel goals. He's going to tip them in, poke them in from behind like last night, screen the goalie's view constantly and slam-bang in the trenches. Those type of players rarely appear in their first season - it usually takes a bit more time for them to get used to playing their game at the next level

p.s. for those who think Carbonneau is giving this guy extra special favours - if he was then why did he apparently not have a shift in O/T from what I understand. If true, then that is good coaching when it comes to the use of a rookie prospect.

I dont want to wait another 3 days until the next game (although I am sure they don't mind)!! I'm loving this team right now...so exciting!