Ron Hainsey versus Mark Streit

Peter Puck

I agree with your last paragraph. There was likely only so much that the team management was willing to accept with regards to Hainsey and he had gone past that point.

GO :hlogo: GO!

I don't think it was as simple as that. I think that the management had signed Streit who had a 60 game minimum clause in his contract (or some other number of games); it was the only way they could convince him to sacrifice and make the move from Europe. He wanted guaranteed work. So, the decision was made on business rather than talent.

I don't think that management is so stupid as to say, "well he is playing well now, but he has really cheesed me off with not developing at the rate I expected, so lets deep six his career". That is probably not the way things happen. It was yet another chance he was given, and he didn't distinguish himself enough, so he was sent back down; because of Streit's contract. Had Streit not had that clause it would have been him who had been sent down and not Hainsey, IMO.

There's a lot of talk these days about how good the chemistry in the room is right now, unanimity among those players who speak saying it's better than it's ever been since they've played for Montreal, and some of these quotes are coming from the post-Samsonov-crap era. I don't think this is pure happenstance - Gainey's decisions re players are as much about chemistry as about stats. That's why Bulis is gone, that's why Ribeiro is gone (even if Gainey straight-up denies it) and that is why Hollywood Hainsey is in Ohio and the personalityless Streit is here. I agree Gainey would rather not have lost him via waivers, but he wouldn't have been in a position where he had to clear waivers in the first place if it weren't for his attitude. He acted like a spot was due him in 2005 camp, and it probably was, but that was the problem...

Can't comment on his attitude, although the last article I read about him did indicate that he has his head screwed on right.

I was merely statying that this attitude of that he is crap, or couldn't play here is blissfully ignorant. Mistakes happen. We lost a project we were developing. Don't denegrate the guy just because we lost him. We made a mistake, we admit it, we move on. Point final.