Typing "Habs" in a post

Whenever I use the 3 letter word "h a b" in one of my posts, it previews and appears as "habs".

For example, I will now type this 3 letter word: habs (and you will see it automatically pluralized into 4 letters).

I often have occasion to use this word in my posts.

1. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Are other words affected?

3. Why does this happen? (Does one of the mods work for the grammar police?)

Edited by Peter Puck

Whenever I use the 3 letter word "h a b" in one of my posts, it previews (and appears?) as "habs".

For example, I will now type this 3 letter word: habs (and you will see it automatically pluralized into 4 letters).

3. Why does this happen?

1) Noticed it.

2) Not sure.

3) If I remembered correctly, Puck or Sakiqc set it that way. It's something in the programming of the site that causes it to automatically edit habs to Habs.

I've actualy grown used to it. Instead of typing "Rivet is my favorite habs," I'll type "Rivet is my favorite Habs' player."

Yes, sakiqc setup the forum to change all appearances of "h a b" to say "habs." From my discussions with him, it comes from the fact that in French, proper nouns have no singular or plural, so "Habs" works for both instances in French. Also, he wants people to remember the site as habsworld.net and not habworld.net.

It's a little automated censor to protect our community brand name, HabsWorld.

Don't want to confuse people.

Anyways, Habs is a Proper noun and is singular with the S. Habs is a diminutive for French word Habitants. I'm quoting an older post from KoZed: "As for the nickname "Habitants", at the origin it was a nickname for settlers born in the colonies, as opposed to settlers born overseas. With time it became an alternative name for the people of Canada (like Canucks now); and later on it became a nickname for farmers and people living in the country."

So HABS is a diminutive for "Habitants" as in "Les Habitants" (the inhabitants). You can't call a singular Montreal Canadiens fan "un habitant" (or an inhabitant). Habs refers to the Montreal Canadiens team, not a fan of the Canadiens. I never saw or heard a Canadiens player being called "an inhabitant". I would like to see Koivu (or even Latendresse) being interpelled "Hey, the inhabitant, how is it going?". That's why Habs always take an ending S and never goes "singular". Ex: Koivu was the first Habs player to register a shot in the game."

Google fight

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2006/...155158-sun.html

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Montr...16/2048083.html

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sp...b8-90209196cceb

Just showing three sources that use the term in the singular. It's just like a player is a member of the Reds, or Twins, or Blue Jackets, but individually each player is a Red, Twin, or Blue Jacket. Or for that matter, a player is a member of the Canadiens but individually is a Canadien.

Whenever I use the 3 letter word "h a b" in one of my posts, it previews and appears as "habs".

3. Why does this happen? (Does one of the mods work for the grammar police?)

habs

habs

lmao tried it with both mozz and IE and it didn't autocorrect... am I so powerful that the machine cannot handle me?

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2006/...155158-sun.html

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Montr...16/2048083.html

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sp...b8-90209196cceb

Just showing three sources that use the term in the singular. It's just like a player is a member of the Reds, or Twins, or Blue Jackets, but individually each player is a Red, Twin, or Blue Jacket. Or for that matter, a player is a member of the Canadiens but individually is a Canadien.

in french we'd say "a member of the Twins", "a fan of the Twins", we won't say "un twin" nor "un twins" (and the reason has nothing to do with "cause baseball sucks")

I even write and often read "Le CanadienS de Montreal"

hmmmmmm...

I'll try...

habs.

habs. nots

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

As an anglophone who writes (hockey) in English, it is irritating because it makes my work look second class. H-a-b is the correct usage in English. *shrugs*

However, that's just me.

As an anglophone who writes (hockey) in English, it is irritating because it makes my work look second class. H-a-b is the correct usage in English. *shrugs*

However, that's just me.

you say habs is the proper english pronounciation of the french word "habs"... :huh: makes no sense.

habs is french, how can you say what is the correct english pronounciation of a word which is not english? :P

you say habs is the proper english pronounciation of the french word "habs"... :huh: makes no sense.

habs is french, how can you say what is the correct english pronounciation of a word which is not english? :P

I totally own the autocorrector... I think he's afraid of me! ;)

La famille Tremblay

Les Tremblay

Il est un Tremblay

he is a Tremblay

La famille Jambons

Les Jambons

Il est un Jambons

he is a Jambons

although the singular is Jambon, you cannot change the spelling of a Noun which takes a S at the end.... you assume that it's because it's plural/singular... but maybe it's just to be fancy that they designed that noun with a S ;)

Les Canadiens

Le Canadiens

Il est un Canadiens

Les Habs

Le Habs

Il est un Habs

He is a Habs

you say hab is the proper english pronounciation of the french word "habs"... :huh: makes no sense.

I totally own the autocorrector... I think he's afraid of me! ;)

It's an abbreviation, not a a word. Habs is short for the name of the team, les habitants. Hab is short for saying a member of les habitants. If it was really meant to have an "s" on the end, then we'd see a different spelling for the plural, like Habses.

I, too, now am unaffected by the autocorrect. Was the filter turned off for those with Mod powers or something?

It's an abbreviation, not a a word. Habs is short for the name of the team, les habitants. habs is short for saying a member of les habitants. If it was really meant to have an "s" on the end, then we'd see a different spelling for the plural, like Habses.

I, too, now am unaffected by the autocorrect. Was the filter turned off for those with Mod powers or something?

go tell it to the 21 something thousand fans in the Booth that they should say Go habs Go ;)

go tell it to the 21 something thousand fans in the Booth that they should say Go habs Go ;)

They're not cheering for one player, but for the team. Plural.

No, it's a selective thing. Always corrected me when I said H-a-b and I was a mod.

I have had trouble trying to write habs or Habs with the the capital H in it a few times = keeps changing it to a non-capitalized version in the actual posting sometimes? Did it no matter how many times I tried to edit it - so I just gave it up.....

probably been pointed out already, but for English speaking fans the word habs [edit = without the 's'] is used constantly when referring to a single player - i.e. 'he is a habs[edit = no s]' (because inhabitant can be used in the non plural form) whereas the plural expression is used to say 'he is a member of the Habs'

End of English Language 101 instructions = BORING!!!!

Doing it now = frustrating!!!!!!! so point of posting is lost?????? I give up again....... piss me off you possessed autocorrector!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by beliveau1