Game Thread | Montreal vs. Maple Leafs | 11/11/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for the few Souray bombs that inflated the PP stats, the PP has been crap. Wasn't it something like 2nd in the league after the first few weeks? Thing is, they run the same (only) play - shot from the point. It's not working, in case you haven't noticed.

Some of you Habs apologists confuse objective criticism with just plain old naysaying. How anyone can possibly say anything good about this team (Abby aside) tonight is beyond me.

Except for fits and starts, the PP, faceoffs, the breakout, and penalties have been awful since the start of the season. Habs aren't as good as their record indicates.

That's objective criticism.

Exactly.

If you can't find anything positive whatsoever in this game then maybe it's you being overly pessimistic and, not me being overly optimistic. Obviously, the cons heavily outweighed the pros but there is always a bright side. How about Latendresse's play and him picking up his first career assist?

The PP isn't great, but it's not because they had a bad game tonight that they are "crap." The stats say that they're above average - in reality they are average. Not great - but definitely not crap.

I think our biggest problems have been taking too many penalties and playing from behind every game. We've had those two problems for a couple of seasons now. Clearly, it wasn't the coach. When we can resolve these things, we'll take a huge leap up the rankings. But will we?

That hurt. Ouch.

Yes, that wasn't the last game ever.

There's more to come and there'll be some fun ones too. :):)

GO :hlogo: GO!

I must admit...Montreal head their heads up their @sses tonight.

Nobody played a solid game....they all played like garbage....I dont know if it was because they didn't practice this morning or what...but they played like garbage and made a team of mediocrity look like a team of brilliance (without Sundin and Raycroft at that!). I am disgusted with the Habs performance tonight....And I'm sure you all are too......Our defenceman took a lot of irresponsible and uncalled for penalties....As well as Thomas Plekanek. If this game reflects our four game road trip...I think BG needs to reconsider the roster. I would also like to say that David Aebischeir played a great game in net, despite getting four goals scored on him....its not a goaltenders fault when his team doesn't show up in front of him!!!!

Just got back from the game, and all I can say is WOW.

What are they thinking?? Although the game SHOULD'VE been 2-1 for the leafs heading into the 3rd period if they didnt have those 5-3's...

Niinimaa played terrible, Kovalev had a couple real bonehead plays, Koivu played amazing tonight though...I HATE LOSING TO THE LEAFS especially at this score...god damnit

Alot of Habs fans there tonight, that was cool...but what wasn't was exiting the ACC after the game with all of the leaf fans goin nuts and singing "ole ole ole ole"...I was going to snap lol

A fugly lost was to be expected. Habs have been playing with fire way too often this season, it had to backfire somehow.

Can't fault the Bonk line. They played a sound game as usual. Koivu's line had their chances and although you see they're not all clicking yet, they're still producing offense. Kovalev's line is all fancy and no results. I dont think a Kosty would change much. What they'd need is a Ryder, someone to take the ugly shots. The fourth line could be called the Center Line, because that's all there is there: Plex, and then emptiness.

Its in the D zone that things were really ugly tonight. Forwards weren't helping much and this group of d-men dont have good enough mobility to be first on puck or get away from checkers just long enough to make a good first pass. I guess Dandeneault and Bouillon were more valuable than we might have thought afterall...

And penalties... its turning into a real issue.

Lots of work to be done. I hope Lapierre gets called up and inject some more energy and enthusiasm in this bunch.

I was out of town tonight, and taped the game. I was tipped off by phone to not watch the tape when I got home, and thus was spared wasting two hours of my life.

This team is looking more and more AVERAGE. I hope and pray that things will improve when guys like Higgins, Dandy, and Boullion are back from injury.

Its in the D zone that things were really ugly tonight. Forwards weren't helping much and this group of d-men dont have good enough mobility to be first on puck or get away from checkers just long enough to make a good first pass. I guess Dandeneault and Bouillon were more valuable than we might have thought afterall...

And penalties... its turning into a real issue.

Lots of work to be done. I hope Lapierre gets called up and inject some more energy and enthusiasm in this bunch.

Totally agree. But I think our problem with penalties is a direct result of not having swift defencemen. Dandy and the cube are needed back. And if we could get a mobile defencemen for some of our trade bait I'd say DO IT.

Totally agree. But I think our problem with penalties is a direct result of not having swift defencemen. Dandy and the cube are needed back. And if we could get a mobile defencemen for some of our trade bait I'd say DO IT.

I agree. 4 of our 6 current dmen are slow as molasses.

Souray

Komi

Rivet

Ninimaa

Everytime these guys are on the ice and the other team dumps it in, the other team will bother them enough for them to:

a) cough it up

B) take a stupid penalty

c) create a dangerous scoring chance

People who think Bouillon sucks cuz he doenst have much size need to see the light in that Bouillon is our 2nd best defensive dman after Markov.

Dandy is pretty much our 3rd best.

This new nhl is just too fast to have 4 out of your 6 D to be as slow as they are.

I am sick of this self pity party that really seems to always happen after a Habs loss. Honestly, I think the game sucked, everyone played terrible etc etc. But I don't think it's a matter of needing superstar players. Everyone needs to fix their game. I don't like the sound of "this guy played worst. I blame the game on these guys". Because if one guy played great, it means squat to the team and we all now one or two great players don't bring a whole team to the finals, especially when they're against well balanced teams.

I agree. 4 of our 6 current dmen are slow as molasses.

Souray

Komi

Rivet

Ninimaa

Everytime these guys are on the ice and the other team dumps it in, the other team will bother them enough for them to:

a) cough it up

B) take a stupid penalty

c) create a dangerous scoring chance

People who think Bouillon sucks cuz he doenst have much size need to see the light in that Bouillon is our 2nd best defensive dman after Markov.

Dandy is pretty much our 3rd best.

This new nhl is just too fast to have 4 out of your 6 D to be as slow as they are.

Agreed! Here's my beef with the MTL defence.

Souray: good for one and only thing...the powerplay..but hes our best D-man..so not much you can do there

Rivet: not sure why people like the guy so much...He's a turtle out there, and can lower the body here and there...but really what matters at the end of the day is putting the puck in the back of the net, which he really doesn't do much of...I would let him walk after his contract is up at the end of this season

Ninnemma: Useless, I don't have a single good thing to say about the guy since he showed up in Montreal...Dallas got the best of us..maybe if he started shooting/stop taking stupid penalties a bit more i'd change my mind

Komisarek: Probably the most improved D-man Montreal has...Dont see anything wrong with him this year Streit: Coughs the puck up the odd time, but when you think of it...He's pretty disciplined. I find him to be quite effective on powerplay time as well

Markov: Not impressed with at all.....sometimes I wonder if he sees non-russian players out there (on a powerplay he would rather pass to kovalev in double coverage than give it to the other d-man hes playing with anyday)

Boullion: He's fast, can hit, and isn't afraid to shoot the puck....solid two way threat

Dandenault: I think your kind of forgetting that he takes just as many penalties as the other ones out there...(shooting the puck into the crowd, holding penalties...he's pretty bad for that). If he can smarten up and minimize his penalties...then I wouldn't mind him

Tonights game was lost because the Defence played undisciplined. Especially against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre...when you know the referees are on their side....Our team is going to fall in the standings and plummet to rock bottom if they think they are capable of overcoming uphill battles all the time (with so much penalty killing). How about Montreal scores the first goal for a change and doesn't start a game on their heels...I've only seen a couple where they do the opposite.

Defense looked like shit. Aebischer looked like shit. Huet better get the next few starts. He is the #1 goalie.

Offense looked like shit. Hardly had any pressure the whole night. This was as embarrassing loss as I have seen in awhile.

Carbonneau better start kicking some asses and Gainey better start kicking Carbonneau's ass.

PP and PK looked horrible. Shows how much the loss of Chris Higgins really hurts. This guy is a superstar in the making

Edited by kaos

I have to say that yes we need some shuffling around, but at the same time the Habs just had 3 or 4 days off and it showed. It's just as bad as playing to many games in a row. The Leafs on the other hand are oiled....they've played five more games...that sucks .....

Habs will be back next game...

GO HABS GO

Good idea with putting Higgins on the Kovy Sammy Line though.....

Coaching my friends coaching. How can the habs come out flat two games in a row against the laffs? Its the leafs on a Saturday night...what to they have, water in their veins? On a side note New Jersey quietly keeps winning their games.

Agreed! Here's my beef with the MTL defence.

Souray: good for one and only thing...the powerplay..but hes our best D-man..so not much you can do there

Rivet: not sure why people like the guy so much...He's a turtle out there, and can lower the body here and there...but really what matters at the end of the day is putting the puck in the back of the net, which he really doesn't do much of...I would let him walk after his contract is up at the end of this season

Ninnemma: Useless, I don't have a single good thing to say about the guy since he showed up in Montreal...Dallas got the best of us..maybe if he started shooting/stop taking stupid penalties a bit more i'd change my mind

Komisarek: Probably the most improved D-man Montreal has...Dont see anything wrong with him this year Streit: Coughs the puck up the odd time, but when you think of it...He's pretty disciplined. I find him to be quite effective on powerplay time as well

Markov: Not impressed with at all.....sometimes I wonder if he sees non-russian players out there (on a powerplay he would rather pass to kovalev in double coverage than give it to the other d-man hes playing with anyday)

Boullion: He's fast, can hit, and isn't afraid to shoot the puck....solid two way threat

Dandenault: I think your kind of forgetting that he takes just as many penalties as the other ones out there...(shooting the puck into the crowd, holding penalties...he's pretty bad for that). If he can smarten up and minimize his penalties...then I wouldn't mind him

Tonights game was lost because the Defence played undisciplined. Especially against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre...when you know the referees are on their side....Our team is going to fall in the standings and plummet to rock bottom if they think they are capable of overcoming uphill battles all the time (with so much penalty killing). How about Montreal scores the first goal for a change and doesn't start a game on their heels...I've only seen a couple where they do the opposite.

Hmm.. I'm a bit higher on our D than you are.

Souray: great leader, a good PP QB with a booming shot (if only his wind-up didn't take half the period!). He's strong and can clear the front of the net. Is ready to figh and defend his teammates when needed (and he just about always wins). Has defensive lapses against quicker, more talented forwards (and 6'9 Slovakian defencemen :P )

Markov: Our best defenceman. Mobile, two-way defenceman. Great at quarterbacking the powerplay. Godly vision and passing skills. Doesn't play very physical but usually plays the safe, smart and quiet game. Talented guy.

Dandenault: Extremely fast and mobile. Strong offensively (can even play forward) and never a weakness in his own end. Shows his veteran experience and always works hard (especially in the clutch). Needs to work on his discipline.

Komisarek: Huge hitter and extremely strong. Pretty mobile for someone his size. Good attitude and a smart player. Has good a pretty well-placed wrister though he never gets a chance to use it.

Rivet: He's got leadership, for one thing. He's pretty much average in every area - the perfect bottom pairing/depth defenceman. He's pretty good on the powerplay with a good shot. He lands a good hit once in a while. Works pretty hard. He takes too many penalties and is slow-footed. Sometimes makes careless mistakes.

Niinimaa: Fast and mobile defenceman that can handle the puck. Is mostly offence-orientated. Takes too many penalties. Makes the risky play too often as well as making bonehead mistakes. A hit or miss kind of guy.

Bouillon: All hustle. For someone his size, his hitting is unreal. Very mobile. Solid both ways. Gives you 100 cents on the dollar.

Streit: Strong offensively - he's a talented stickhandler and PP QB. Good skater. Mistake-prone.

Overall, we have a pretty well-rounded D. I think we'll be fine when Bouillon and Dandenault return.

But man, do the forward lines (and special teams) really miss Higgins.

I'm just surprised the way the team came out tonight. Well, the refs were absolute sh**, but besides that, we didn't deserve to win anyways because of our play.

We had 3 free days before this game. That is absolutely no excuse to come out and play like crap. They weren't fatigued, they just simply didn't want the game. They got embarassed, and the refs were no help at all.

The team is stayed in Toronto for the night and apparently is practicing the next morning before they head to Ottawa for their next game. Let's just hope they don't have their heads up their asses for that one.

I'm just surprised the way the team came out tonight. Well, the refs were absolute sh**, but besides that, we didn't deserve to win anyways because of our play.

We had 3 free days before this game. That is absolutely no excuse to come out and play like crap. They weren't fatigued, they just simply didn't want the game. They got embarassed, and the refs were no help at all.

The team is stayed in Toronto for the night and apparently is practicing the next morning before they head to Ottawa for their next game. Let's just hope they don't have their heads up their asses for that one.

Stop blaming the refs. Montreal has had chronic problems this year with penalties and its not because of the refs. Carbonneau needs to get these guys more disciplined and skating better to avoid the stupid penalties they've been taking. Shooting the puck over the boards and creating a 5-3 advantage is not a referring problem is a mental error that shouldn't happen and it happened twice last night.

Edited by kaos

Stop blaming the refs. Montreal has had chronic problems this year with penalties and its not because of the refs. Carbonneau needs to get these guys more disciplined and skating better to avoid the stupid penalties they've been taking. Shooting the puck over the boards and creating a 5-3 advantage is not a referring problem is a mental error that shouldn't happen and it happened twice last night.

... and they both led to goals. I can almost forgive Souray's, because he was under pressure and trying to clear the puck from the slot... but I couldn't believe the Markov play. He takes the puck, stays behind his net for quite awhile with it, and emerges (under no real pressure) and promptly wires it into the crowd. Dumb. I know he was trying to hit the glass, but is a shot off the glass your best play after taking so long to consider the options.

Montreal has got to be more disciplined - 6th highest in penalties, and they don't even have a goon!

Along with that, no effort whatsoever. That was an embarrassing performance at any time, but particularly with the Hall of Famers and veterans in attendance, and against the Leafs!

:wall::wall::wall:

The team's become lazy and started taking stupid penalties because they were used to seeing the PK'ers do a fine job.

And BTH - you're kidding me if you think Ninimaa is 'mobile'.

Almost every other time I see the guy on TV, he's taking a penalty for holding up a guy faster than him. Yikes did he look brutal out there last night, I recall a break where Aebischer made the stop but Ninimaa fell down at centre ice whilst being burned by the oh so "quick" Darcy Tucker.

I know he's apparently playing the wrong side - but if he's going to keep playing terrible D and contribute zilch offensively, then's he's gotta sit.