Shake things up Carbo...

Aebischer4life

Perez is just not a goal scorer to fit in well with Kovalev and Samsonov. He misses way too many scoring chances and missed two tonight with one of them being an empty net. Seeing as Perez was playing very well wiht Bonk and Johnson, put him back where he belongs.

Ryder Koivu Lats

Sammy Kovy ---

Johnson Bonk Perez

Murray/Downey Plekanec Begin

We need a sniper on the second line real bad. Perez just misses way too many opportunities.

Maybe call Kost up and see what he can do.

Ryder Koivu Lats

Sammy Kovy Kost

Johnson Bonk Perez

Murray Plekanec Begin

#### and grabovsky and Lapierre have been doing well recently. We definitely need more speed and shots, and some more banging to, so any of them would do well.

I think the major problem is Defence mobility. Dandy and Cube getting back will help out a lot.

Edited by Bacchus

Why not make higgins, when he gets back, play his natural position at Center between Kovalev and Samsonov?

That is actually a swell idea. Not many are for breaking up the Higgins-Koivu-Ryder line but so far it looks like Latendresse has fit in there nicely. If that keeps up, then I'm all for Higgins centering Kovalev and Samsonov. It'll get someone on that line who will actually finish, instead of dilly dally around in the opposition zone and then passing it off. Maybe Higs could add some more finish to that line...

That is actually a swell idea. Not many are for breaking up the Higgins-Koivu-Ryder line but so far it looks like Latendresse has fit in there nicely. If that keeps up, then I'm all for Higgins centering Kovalev and Samsonov. It'll get someone on that line who will actually finish, instead of dilly dally around in the opposition zone and then passing it off. Maybe Higs could add some more finish to that line...

I dont know man... What about

Sammy Koivu Lats

Higgins Kovy Ryder

Perez Bonk Johnson

- Plekanec Begin

The way I see if, they have to stop taking so many penelties. That's what's killing them. As many penelties as they are taking, it doesn't help that they have a great PK. It kills momentum and it decreases the time you can spend on offense. And I do know they lead the league in shorthanded goals, but frankly, that is not something I would want to base my team's scoring on... ;)

We lose one game and we immediately need to "shake everything up".

Typical Habs we are :)

No, I think the problem wasn't with the lines yesterday, it was with overall effort, coupled with a few other small factors, such as no morning skate, etc.

I think we need to wait for some players to return to the lineup. If not Higgins, then at least Dandenault and Bouillon. Start with that. One thing at a time. Need i remind you the Habs are still doing quite well this season. No reason to sound the panic alarm.

MERCI Cataclaw !!

my feelings are the same. why shake things up after only one loss. I know it wasn't pretty but every team has a terrible game once in a while. it's just too bad it was againts those leafs !!

The Canadiens problems are not going to be solved by re-arranging lines. Or by moving Higgins to the centre position. He is a LW and a very good one in the NHL and should remain so.

What Montreal needs is an actually #1 or #2 NHL centreman and they do not have one on the roster, nor in the minor leagues. Kovalev is not the answer and Plekanec proved this year he is not ready, and may never be more than a 3rd line centre. Bonk has proven that he's no better than a 3rd liner.

Montreal needs to go out and trade for one.

When (if) Dandenault and Bouillon are back, Montreal needs to seriously look at trading Sheldon Souray, for two reasons. 1) After this season he is an UFA and will command >$4.5 Million per season which Montreal cannot afford witht he likes of Ryder, Higgins, Markov, Johnson, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Aebischer and others also looking for new contracts. 2) He is exactly what most teams are looking for. A defenceman who is deadly on the powerplay and can log 25 minutes or so a game. He can be the corner stone for a trade bringing a centre in return. But the salary cap remains a question as well. If Montreal can't afford to resign Souray, then how do you resign (pay) a 1st or 2nd line centre??? That means Rivet, Bonk probably don't come back next year ...probably not a horrible idea..... or atleast seriously reduced contracts although someone will give Rivet $2.5 Million + being a defenseman.....while Aebischer or Huet could be in the Souray package going out of town.

Anyways Souray needs to be delt sometime between now and the trade deadline for fear of losing him for nothing, and its a great way to bring back something in return that cna help the Habs

This thread should be re-labeled as "The sky is falling".

It is far too early to start trading everyone that didn't score a hat trick last night, or moving guys because of possible cap issues 10 months from now.

Everyone just needs to relax. I'm all for trade rumors and "what we might need" possiblities but we only have four losses this season. Second fewest losses in the East and tied for third in the NHL!

East Team W L OTL Pts

1. Buffalo 14 1 1 29

2. Atlanta 12 5 3 27

3. Toronto 11 5 3 25

4. New Jersey 10 5 1 21

5. Carolina 9 6 3 21

6. NY Rangers 9 7 1 19

7. Tampa Bay 9 7 1 19

8. Montreal 8 4 3 19

9. Washington 7 5 4 18

10. NY Islanders 7 6 2 16

11. Pittsburgh 7 6 2 16

12. Florida 6 8 4 16

13. Ottawa 6 9 1 13

14. Boston 5 7 2 12

15. Philadelphia 3 11 2 8

Kaos although I do understand you feeling for losing Sheldon for nothing, but look at what Edmonton got for Pronger who was undercontract for another 4 years, they got Lupul who is a pretty good young score, Smid a young defender and 3 draft picks. Do you really think first of all that Souray can garnish a #1 or #2 centre, and secondly that there are teams right now shopping thier # or #2 centres. I do not but if a trade presents itself and it would be a good move for the organization then I am all for it as I am sure Bob will be.

But since I am a betting man I would bet the Canadiens enter the month of March with #44 still with the Canadiens.

Perez is just not a goal scorer to fit in well with Kovalev and Samsonov. He misses way too many scoring chances and missed two tonight with one of them being an empty net. Seeing as Perez was playing very well wiht Bonk and Johnson, put him back where he belongs.

Ryder Koivu Lats

Sammy Kovy ---

Johnson Bonk Perez

We need a sniper on the second line real bad. Perez just misses way too many opportunities.

Ryder Koivu Lats

Sammy Kovy Kost

Johnson Bonk Perez

Murray Plekanec Begin

Ok this is when i just want to start goin on a rampage. Can't wait till tony comes see this :) lol.

Anyway let the bashing begin... Perezhogin is not a good goal scorer....alright do you understand what he is on the second line for, Would you rather have opportinuties or just players running around with chickens with out heads. IE Kovalev Plekanec Samsonov.....they were everywhere and didnt do shit, didn't even shoot.

Now with Perezhogin the chemestry is doing well, the shots are hitting the net. and i should say the same thing about Latendresse then all he does it take the puck and bang it on net and the goal he got isnt all him he just barley tipped it.

Perezhogin last season was on the 3rd line tuning his defense all season long gainey isnt a moron and knew his defense needed work so put him there[ tnx tony lol ] anyway and how he shall improve on his goal scoring abilities. You have to also put in consideration he is young still learning the offensive part of the game compare to last year and he with 2 great veterans im sure there is pressure on him and gets intimidated with vets like that.

Give the kid a chance its WAAAAAY to early to start thinking and doing what your saying, it's ridiculous and at the same time your just like everyother typical habs fan..something goes wrong we lose one game " WE HAVE TO TRADE THIS GUY CUZ HE MISSED AN OPEN NET"

Get serious its disscusting if you were to be the GM of a team i would feel so sorry for that team if thats the way you think. I have so much more to say against you and your Perezhogin bashing but ill stop here.

First off, one bad game. DON'T HIT THE PANIC BUTTON PEOPLE.

I won't repeat the same thing Andrew said about Perezhogin but if he didn't take a lot of dumb penalties, he'd be getting more ice time.

Oddly enough, if this was two weeks ago, some of you would be praising Perezhogin and saying he should be on the first line based on his goal.

Ok this is when i just want to start goin on a rampage. Can't wait till tony comes see this :) lol.

Anyway let the bashing begin... Perezhogin is not a good goal scorer....alright do you understand what he is on the second line for, Would you rather have opportinuties or just players running around with chickens with out heads. IE Kovalev Plekanec Samsonov.....they were everywhere and didnt do shit, didn't even shoot.

Now with Perezhogin the chemestry is doing well, the shots are hitting the net. and i should say the same thing about Latendresse then all he does it take the puck and bang it on net and the goal he got isnt all him he just barley tipped it.

Perezhogin last season was on the 3rd line tuning his defense all season long gainey isnt a moron and knew his defense needed work so put him there[ tnx tony lol ] anyway and how he shall improve on his goal scoring abilities. You have to also put in consideration he is young still learning the offensive part of the game compare to last year and he with 2 great veterans im sure there is pressure on him and gets intimidated with vets like that.

Give the kid a chance its WAAAAAY to early to start thinking and doing what your saying, it's ridiculous and at the same time your just like everyother typical habs fan..something goes wrong we lose one game " WE HAVE TO TRADE THIS GUY CUZ HE MISSED AN OPEN NET"

Get serious its disscusting if you were to be the GM of a team i would feel so sorry for that team if thats the way you think. I have so much more to say against you and your Perezhogin bashing but ill stop here.

When did I ever bash Perez before? I gave him a chance for the past 2-3 weeks playing with Kovalev and Samsonov and he hasnt scored/made a good play with his two linemates. Yes he scored the beauty against toronto but that had nothing to do with Kovalev nor Samsonov. I'm just saying he's got the same style as those two and doesnt fit on the 2nd line because unlike them, he cant put the puck in the net.

When did I ever bash Perez before? I gave him a chance for the past 2-3 weeks playing with Kovalev and Samsonov and he hasnt scored/made a good play with his two linemates. Yes he scored the beauty against toronto but that had nothing to do with Kovalev nor Samsonov. I'm just saying he's got the same style as those two and doesnt fit on the 2nd line because unlike them, he cant put the puck in the net.

Kovalev hasn't put the puck in the net for a while and i belive samsonov hasnt either so i think perez is good where he is.

Yeah, let's shuffle all the lines around after ONE loss. :wacko:

As much as most Hab fans hate to admit it, Toronto does not stink this year. They are playing fine hockey. Losing to them isn't a cause for concern at this point. Losing one game to anyone does not warrant line changes. Now if you lose 3 in a row, then you can start looking to change things up.

All you guys who are rambling about "one bad game" need to actually watch all the games. They have had a lot of bad games this season. On occasion, they still pull off a win, but there are real problems on this team.

They have been blown out twice by Toronto. They have put up at least 6 stinkers so far this season. They have shown a lack of offense on several lines.

I don't think they need to do anything too radical, but benching a few guys might be in order. I also think they need to make a trade to get a real Ribs replacement. They need another playmaker up front, right now they only have Koivu.

Yeah, let's shuffle all the lines around after ONE loss. :wacko:

As much as most habs fans hate to admit it, Toronto does not stink this year. They are playing fine hockey. Losing to them isn't a cause for concern at this point. Losing one game to anyone does not warrant line changes. Now if you lose 3 in a row, then you can start looking to change things up.

Their playing to win.

Higgins won't be back for a while. Loads can happen between here and then, including fans changing their opinions 18 674 times on every player on the roster.

Shaking things up don't necessarily have to do with shuffling the lines or trading anyone. A good intense training session, a couple of hours in the video room can do the same or a good long team meeting.

Yeah, the Habs have their highs and lows recently. Still no cause for radical actions. You keep those for slumps. All they need now is just to work on their weaknesses, tighten up the loose ends.

Well the problem for the Habs for numerous years now is being inconsist, not playing hard consistently, taking stupid penalties. As a team they don't score, The D is average on their best day. No leadership. Koivu and Markov are leaders on the ice as seen by there record when they are not in the line up. I have no idea why people think Souray and Rivet are leaders, it can't be there play on the ice or there great off ice quotes "we need to be more consistant and play harder" you think Craig, thanks.

So calling up 1 player, changing the lines is not going to help. I think now FINALLY the Habs have a coach that won't be canned for poor performances and the players are on notice. The younger players will gradually start taking more and more roster spots. This team is realistically speaking a few years away from being a better team. Until the dead weight, vets who aren't getting better just older are removed and under achievers off the team this team will always struggle to make the playoffs.

I think Gainey knows this and his plan i think is going well. They are now getting good prospects and keeping them, the future is looking bright.

People have to be patient, the core group of vets is just not that good, a liitle old and past there prime. Kovalev, Rivet, Souray, Koivu, Markov, Bouillon, Ryder have been here for years and haven't done much. Look at the record. On great teams these guys are role players.

Well the problem for the Habs for numerous years now is being inconsist, not playing hard consistently, taking stupid penalties. As a team they don't score, The D is average on their best day. No leadership. Koivu and Markov are leaders on the ice as seen by there record when they are not in the line up. I have no idea why people think Souray and Rivet are leaders, it can't be there play on the ice or there great off ice quotes "we need to be more consistant and play harder" you think Craig, thanks.

So calling up 1 player, changing the lines is not going to help. I think now FINALLY the Habs have a coach that won't be canned for poor performances and the players are on notice. The younger players will gradually start taking more and more roster spots. This team is realistically speaking a few years away from being a better team. Until the dead weight, vets who aren't getting better just older are removed and under achievers off the team this team will always struggle to make the playoffs.

I think Gainey knows this and his plan i think is going well. They are now getting good prospects and keeping them, the future is looking bright.

People have to be patient, the core group of vets is just not that good, a liitle old and past there prime. Kovalev, Rivet, Souray, Koivu, Markov, Bouillon, Ryder have been here for years and haven't done much. Look at the record. On great teams these guys are role players.

...not to sound too much like a Homer here, but I think your list of over the hill vets needs to be tweaked a bit.

Souray has defensive issues. We know that. But he's second (second!) in the league in goals by a D man. And top 10 in scoring. He will be signed to a big fat contract as FA next year.

Ryder is only in his third full year (although I would add has he's been all to quiet recently)

Bouillon is in his prime.... and Markov should be (although has been frustrating this year)

...and Koivu is worth every penny. Not enough space here to back that up, but then again, I shouldnt need to....

I'm not saying this is a stanley cup line up, they're not.

Ryder Koivu Lats

Sammy Kovy ---

Johnson Bonk Perez

Ryder Koivu Lats

Sammy Kovy Kost

Johnson Bonk Perez

Murray Plekanec Begin

Told you guys!!!

Notes: The Habs changed lines a little by inserting Andrei Kostitsyn on the wing on the second unit and bumping down Alexander Perezhogin to the third and Steve Begin to the fourth. Garth Murray is a healthy scratch. - TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder

Kostitsyn - Kovalev - Samsonov

Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson

Begin - Plekanec - Downey

Is this an acceptable "shake up" to all those worried?

IMO: I bet people are going to get bent out of shape over Kostitsyn being on line 2, not line 1 or 3.

Remember the language barrier. Andrei is still struggling a bit with language. He won't have any problem understanding Alex and Sergei. That's why I think he was natuarlly selected for the 2nd.

How ironic. Kostitsyn goes to Hamilton over a waivers issue, he's the odd man out due to the "situation", Montreal wanting to keep Lat's and Perezhogin having to clear.

Now Perezhogin is the odd man out due to the "situation".

In both cases it wasn't due to a lack of work ethic. Just the way things go

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Nilan, i put Ryder on there simply because he has been around for 3 years, not as a older vet. Meaning the team over the last 3 years, total of about 10 have played pretty much played the same way, inconsistant, soft, etc. It wasn't a shot at Ryder, i think he is one of a few players who hustles the majority of the time.

As for Souray, his stats are totally inflated due to the power play, how many points does he have in the last 5 games? How many will he have at the end of the year. Unless he is shooting the puck he is a liability. I think he should be traded now (highest return) with some other vets to get the team younger. The team needs to change over to a younger team , I would rather due it now.