Habs Call up Kostitsyn

Psycing

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184071&hubname=nhl

Rds is also reporting it.

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action against the sens. I wonder if this means Latendresse will fall off the first line. My guess is that Ryder is slumping and may get shifted around as well.

Latendresse - Koivu - Kostitsyn

Samsonov - Kovalev - Ryder

OR

Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder

Samsonov - Kovalev - Kostitsyn

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184071&hubname=nhl

Rds is also reporting it.

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action against the sens. I wonder if this means Latendresse will fall off the first line. My guess is that Ryder is slumping and may get shifted around as well.

Latendresse - Koivu - Kostitsyn

Samsonov - Kovalev - Ryder

OR

Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder

Samsonov - Kovalev - Kostitsyn

I'll go with the second one because the 1st line already has chemistry.

It is to wonder if Kosty will even dress at all. If he does, where does he play?

2nd line in place of Zhog? 3rd line in place of Begin? 4th line on Plex's wing?

It'll be fun to check.

Too bad for Lapierre, though he's a C and would basically be limited to 4th line RW duty. Still hoping he gets a call up sooner or later.

I'm lost as to why they didn't consider calling up Lapierre... he could easily fit on a line with Plekanec instead of a Downey or Murray.

Because in the long run, Kosty has the better potential. This was inevitable and all the speculation about Lapierre (sorry Pedneault and the rest of the RDS love-in squad) was highly unlikely. I'm actually sitting here giggling at them because they were so certain he was going to be called up, they didn't even consider any other possibility. So typical of the French media starved for French players. To them, it's not about what's best for the Habs, it's about the language.

In fact, they'd have the Habs mired in mediocrity, running one French player out of town for another to replace him over and over if they had their druthers. All they seem to want is French, but none of those who are French are good enough. It's not just the media, either.

As unfortunate as it is in this day and age, language has zero meaning on a hockey club. It's all about the business and the bottom line. Sure, they all trot out the part line: if there are two equal players and one is French we'll take the French player, but really, when are there ever two equal players. Bob is doing the best thing for the club. If a French player comes along that will improve us, he'll grab the player. Otherwise, we're going to be built with the best players available - regardless of nationality or language.

As mentioned earlier I expect to see

Lats Koivu Ryder

Samsonov Kovy Kosty

Pepe Bonk Johnson (reunite a line that hasn't been the same since Pepe's promotion)

Begin Plex Downey / Murray (at least Plex now has 1 other moderately decent player on his line).

Now are the chances for Lats and Kosty. If they can both play well in the next few games, we may see a remvoal of Downey / Murray altogether once Higgins is back. Wouldn't a fourth line of Begin Plex Latendresse be a sweet site...or Begin Plex Ryder....etc....

As mentioned earlier I expect to see

Lats Koivu Ryder

Samsonov Kovy Kosty

Pepe Bonk Johnson (reunite a line that hasn't been the same since Pepe's promotion)

Begin Plex Downey / Murray (at least Plex now has 1 other moderately decent player on his line).

Now are the chances for Lats and Kosty. If they can both play well in the next few games, we may see a remvoal of Downey / Murray altogether once Higgins is back. Wouldn't a fourth line of Begin Plex Latendresse be a sweet site...or Begin Plex Ryder....etc....

I hope to see these lines as well... And the 3rd and 4th lines will be better as a result...

Because in the long run, Kosty has the better potential. This was inevitable and all the speculation about Lapierre (sorry Pedneault and the rest of the RDS love-in squad) was highly unlikely. I'm actually sitting here giggling at them because they were so certain he was going to be called up, they didn't even consider any other possibility. So typical of the French media starved for French players. To them, it's not about what's best for the Habs, it's about the language.

In fact, they'd have the Habs mired in mediocrity, running one French player out of town for another to replace him over and over if they had their druthers. All they seem to want is French, but none of those who are French are good enough. It's not just the media, either.

As unfortunate as it is in this day and age, language has zero meaning on a hockey club. It's all about the business and the bottom line. Sure, they all trot out the part line: if there are two equal players and one is French we'll take the French player, but really, when are there ever two equal players. Bob is doing the best thing for the club. If a French player comes along that will improve us, he'll grab the player. Otherwise, we're going to be built with the best players available - regardless of nationality or language.

And it had nothing to do with the fact that Kosty was injured and having very modest stats while Lapierre was leading the Bulldogs in scoring, right?

I know if some guys named Smith or Popov was leading the Bulldogs in scoring and the Habs called up a Tremblay having modest stats instead, you'd have all these so-called fans crying about the Habs staff giving favored treatment to French players.

Oh, wait, isnt that exactly what's going on with Latendresse now?

Seems like linguistic biases aren't just typical of the French medias. Some English fans will never admit that French players deserve to play for the Habs in the NHL and are as good or better options than other players.

Hopefully, as you said, language has zero meaning for Bob and Guy. Hopefully fans and medias learns to do the same and stop bringing it up all the time...

Kostitsyn will score for sure tomorrow if he gets top two line minutes.

Also I bet this is his last time called up from the AHL.

He is now in the NHL FOR LIFE.

Long live BELARUS!!

I just hope that his back injury is over with. God forbid Kosty would still be injured and have a modest showing on the 4th line with little ice time. I can already hear the naysayers from here: "Kostitsyn isnt doing anything out there. He has no talent. What a bust. Trade him now!"

And it had nothing to do with the fact that Kosty was injured and having very modest stats while Lapierre was leading the Bulldogs in scoring, right?

I know if some guys named Smith or Popov was leading the Bulldogs in scoring and the Habs called up a Tremblay having modest stats instead, you'd have all these so-called fans crying about the Habs staff giving favored treatment to French players.

Oh, wait, isnt that exactly what's going on with Latendresse now?

Seems like linguistic biases aren't just typical of the French medias. Some English fans will never admit that French players deserve to play for the Habs in the NHL and are as good or better options than other players.

Hopefully, as you said, language has zero meaning for Bob and Guy. Hopefully fans and medias learns to do the same and stop bringing it up all the time...

I just hope that his back injury is over with. God forbid Kosty would still be injured and have a modest showing on the 4th line with little ice time. I can already hear the naysayers from here: "Kostitsyn isnt doing anything out there. He has no talent. What a bust. Trade him now!"

I have no issue with Latendresse being on the team. Never did. He earned his spot and has improved throughout. I never said linguistic bias was just on one side, I just pointed out a very recent occurrence. Nothing more.

i think Gainey knows the way the players are...physically...if they are capable of playing...it would be just plain stupid if he sent him up knowing he as an injury that isint fully recovered...then again will see....ohh and im french and im fed up of the french media lol....especially with the Roy\latendresse shit that just happended....and i was sure that they were going to show latendresse when Roy was beeing called for the hall of fame....which the faithfully did!

lol n e ways a little hope...glad to see kosty up!

I'd like to see these lines

Latendresse-Koivu-Perezhogin

Samsonov-Kovalev-Ryder

Johnson-Plekanek-Kostitsyn

Murray-Begin-Downey

I think Ryder should be separated from Saku on the first PP...and leave Latendresse out there! He had a nice pass to Koivu against the Leafs. I would give Kovalev some time on the first unit. And put Ryder on the second unit with samsonov and kostitsyn...

Higgins may only be one guy...But without him..it leaves a gaping hole in the CH!

it could be a good move, only lapierre would have taken murray's spot on the fourth line as he's playing like crap

Hopefully, he can add some scoring punch to the 2nd line

it could be a good move, only lapierre would have taken murray's spot on the fourth line as he's playing like crap

Hopefully, he can add some scoring punch to the 2nd line

Yeah, since Lappy's C/RW there would be really no other place for him other than 4th line RW spot. Though I'm convinced at this point, of in a very very short future, he'd be a significant upgrade on Murray.

Kosty has more versatility, can play either wings and can play on a top line, which Lapierre can't. Though I wouldn't mind seeing Kosty on the 4th. Plex is wasted between guys like Murray and Downey. I felt sorry for him Saturday night. At least with Kosty on the line they could create something offensively.

I wouldnt throw Kosty right up on the 2nd. I'd give that line more time to gel. They've shown good stuff so far, they're tough to counter but they can't turn it into scoring chances... yet... Though if they dont get better soon, I wouldn't be against trying Kosty there, and bring Zhog back with Bonk and Johnson.

I have no issue with Latendresse being on the team. Never did. He earned his spot and has improved throughout. I never said linguistic bias was just on one side, I just pointed out a very recent occurrence. Nothing more.

I wasn't saying you did neither. Merely refering to views about Latendresse repeatedly expressed on these boards by other fans.

For every time some medias lobby for French players just because they're French, you'll get some fans refusing to give any credit to the same French players just because they're French.

Opposed biases everyone could easily live without.

So is everyone happy now? With Kostitsyn up?

You should know better than that. No one will be happy unless we are currently on a winning streak, shutting everyone out, with all four lines producing, no penalties taken (and ironically, shorthanded goals being scored).

But I am happy that Carbo is playing around looking for new scoring combos and giving the young-uns a shot.

You should know better than that. No one will be happy unless we are currently on a winning streak, shutting everyone out, with all four lines producing, no penalties taken (and ironically, shorthanded goals being scored).

I don't think that's too much to ask.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

and I agree... give me PERFECTION! and nothing less... my self and public image won't handle anything else.

GO :hlogo: GO!

I'm lost as to why they didn't consider calling up Lapierre... he could easily fit on a line with Plekanec instead of a Downey or Murray.

Because Lapierre doesn't fix the second line issue. Lapierre deserves his shot with Begin (or Bonk/Johnson)

I've been saying it since the summer.........

WE DON'T NEED MURRAY OR DOWNEY TO TAKE AWAY ICE TIME FROM THE KIDS!