The Politics Thread

Pierre the Great

monies thats another one.

I despise that word.

Gosh, I don't get the complaining of western canada saying they are tired of Quebec. I don't care where the person is from as long as he or she cares about the country.

You don't see this in this country. Is there ever going to be a President from the West Coast? No. Nixon and Reagan will always be the last ones from California. And did you notice anything both were republicans. A democrat from the West Coast will never ever win.

US presidents come from the South. Bush (via Connecticut), Clinton, Bush (via Connecticut), Reagan (ran on his midwest roots with hollywood appeal), Carter Georgia, Johnson (Texas).

The U.S. has come to the realization that its leaders will come from the South or midwest. Why can't Western Canada get it.

When I get to Vancouver I could care less if the PM was from Quebec or Ontario. As long as he or she runs the country well thats all you can ask for.

This whole Upper and lower Canada is thing that Alberta and the west brings up is stupid.

Funny, the NDP grew out of Saskatchewan lol.

To me Canada is Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal but thats me I'm a city person who likes and loves culture. Those three cities have drawn me to Canada.

Be proud, Canada. Be proud.

From my experiences, BCers hate Quebec. I used to get harrassed because I have a French last name and cheer for a French hockey team (the Habs).

That picture would be funnier if Dion and Martin actually liked each other. Dont forget that at first, Martin gave no ministries at all to Dion.

It's generally saying that the Jedi (Liberal's) have returned. Harper is Vader. I made him Vader because anyone who doesn't like him tends to do so because they think he's the boogeyman. :P

West hates the East and the East hates the West, thats all there is to it. The dividing line is like, halfway through Manitoba.

I only know one person who has anything against the West. Id say theres more hate for Quebec in these parts, and more hate for Ontario (Toronto) in Quebec...

I only know one person who has anything against the West. Id say theres more hate for Quebec in these parts, and more hate for Ontario (Toronto) in Quebec...

Eh, I've run into a few "stupid redneck" comments while on here from users I'll leave unnamed. Joking or not, I was still incredibly offended. From my experience, easteners view the West as mainly Alberta and just think we're a bunch of dumb rednecks.

If people actually spent 3 seconds here (that wasn't in the middle of July), they'd realize that's not true at all. And like I said, I get called a redneck all the time and have to hear all the stupid jokes which I don't (and I know kerp doesn't either) find funny at all. Like I said, it actually offends me greatly.

If it was me I am sorry.

I just see a lot of midwest/southern pride that I see here in Missouri that is coming from Alberta in a form of Albertan pride which makes no sense to me. I'm used to being called names as well but then again I call them names back.

So how right wing is this new premier?

Don't worry, not you. To me, it stems from Chretien who most (here) feel ignored Alberta completely which left us feeling lonely. Then of course, we had King Ralph to look after us and it didn't bother us so much. I compared it to school, Chretien was our principal, Klein was our parent. I mostly think it's a misunderstanding because of the Oil thing. The most direct comparison is to Texans (like that rich Texan dude from The Simpsons, thats how most people view us. :P). Seriously though, you should come check out Calgary. I know our politics suck but it's really pretty here in the spring and winter (especially now since we had a huge dump of snow) and the people are really nice (unless you mess with the Flames. ;))

As for the premier, I haven't been following it at all. You know me, I'm a Liberal. I could care less about a Tory leader. :lol: He's changed policies a few times. One minute, theres no room for new roads (which Calgary needs BADLY) new schools, that kind of stuff. Then all of a sudden, after "listening to the people", we've got 1.4 billion available to spend on everything.

Seems iffy to me.

I see the East-West issue as a quasi-microcosm of the Canada-US relationship...

many canadians feel dominated by the US and think that Americans dislike or look down on canada. For the most part, however, the average American is simply apathetic or ignorant about canada...

I think that Western mistrust of the East is met with a lot of apathy and ignorance from the East. This is changing a bit because of the emergence of the Alliance.

quite frankly I can find being ignored more infuriating than being mistreated.

Edited by simonus

Eh, I've run into a few "stupid redneck" comments while on here from users I'll leave unnamed. Joking or not, I was still incredibly offended. From my experience, easteners view the West as mainly Alberta and just think we're a bunch of dumb rednecks.

If people actually spent 3 seconds here (that wasn't in the middle of July), they'd realize that's not true at all. And like I said, I get called a redneck all the time and have to hear all the stupid jokes which I don't (and I know kerp doesn't either) find funny at all. Like I said, it actually offends me greatly.

JS, I've lived in Calgary and Edmonton. In my experience "Red Necks" don't come from Calgary. But rather up north and in the boonies.

There are (IMO) these types of people in AB. But the percentage is so minimal it's quite wrong for easterners or anyone else to use this general term.

I have found that much of this has to do with regional politics. Mulroney is a great example.

When he was elected, Albertans were hopeful that meant the end of the NEP. Mulroney would champion the west.

Then a defence project on CF-18's was launched. The deal went to the PQ and the lucritive servicing contract went to AB.

When I have talked to Albertans (In my experience) by and large who recall those days, they always remember the contract going to the PQ but have no knowledge of the other portion that provided jobs to AB.

I've seen this happen again and again. There exists this attitude that AB supports 9 "have not" provinces and the goodies go everywhere else and AB is 100% screwed all the time.

I hate that.

I also resent the "we are better than the ROC" attitude. It's not very prevalent but some do think it.

This is a federation. This is where we support each other (supposed to). It's amazing how AB's don't know about the history of the depression. During those days the west was a dust bowl. Economically the east fared much better. Who helped the west?

I find AB's have no conception of this.

One final thing. To AB's who may hate Quebec. If you hate Ottawa more and if you had a brain you would ally yourself with Quebec. They could be a very powerful ally. But, we can't have that now can we?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

JS, I've lived in Calgary and Edmonton. In my experience "Red Necks" don't come from Calgary. But rather up north and in the boonies.

There are (IMO) these types of people in AB. But the percentage is so minimal it's quite wrong for easterners or anyone else to use this general term.

I have found that much of this has to do with regional politics. Mulroney is a great example.

When he was elected, Albertans were hopeful that meant the end of the NEP. Mulroney would champion the west.

Then a defence project on CF-18's was launched. The deal went to the PQ and the lucritive servicing contract went to AB.

When I have talked to Albertans (In my experience) by and large who recall those days, they always remember the contract going to the PQ but have no knowledge of the other portion that provided jobs to AB.

I've seen this happen again and again. There exists this attitude that AB supports 9 "have not" provinces and the goodies go everywhere else and AB is 100% screwed all the time.

I hate that.

I also resent the "we are better than the ROC" attitude. It's not very prevalent but some do think it.

This is a federation. This is where we support each other (supposed to). It's amazing how AB's don't know about the history of the depression. During those days the west was a dust bowl. Economically the east fared much better. Who helped the west?

I find AB's have no conception of this.

One final thing. To AB's who may hate Quebec. If you hate Ottawa more and if you had a brain you would ally yourself with Quebec. They could be a very powerful ally. But, we can't have that now can we?

You pretty much nailed it, most people around here just act like stubborn children concerning federal politics. A Calgary boy is in office and most still aren't happy, you should see some articles that were written after Quebec got it's nation status. I read one the other day though by a VERY right wing guy about how Quebec is misunderstood in the West and doesn't deserve any of the flack it gets so it's starting to get better.

Me personally, I'm already a Liberal in Calgary so you know I don't fit in with the general ideology. :lol: Quebec has never bothered me, I've always liked Quebec (starting as a youngster when to me, it was just a place that provided us with great NHL goalies. Good enough reason to like Quebec for me. :P)

You pretty much nailed it, most people around here just act like stubborn children concerning federal politics. A Calgary boy is in office and most still aren't happy, you should see some articles that were written after Quebec got it's nation status. I read one the other day though by a VERY right wing guy about how Quebec is misunderstood in the West and doesn't deserve any of the flack it gets so it's starting to get better.

Me personally, I'm already a Liberal in Calgary so you know I don't fit in with the general ideology. :lol: Quebec has never bothered me, I've always liked Quebec (starting as a youngster when to me, it was just a place that provided us with great NHL goalies. Good enough reason to like Quebec for me. :P)

I should add I'm not beating up on Albertans here. Most of the time the people who get under your skin are non educated idiots who rant. Down in Nova Scotia and everywhere else it's not really different.

There are people who do understand. We just never hear from them because intelligent people don't "rant" let's say, in Tim Hortons :P

I agree that Alberta should be allowed to have more economic control over their interests. I am confused that radio callers and opinions seem to be leaning against Harper and the nation thing.

The Bloc were going to forward it anyway. Harper has suceeded in cutting off the seperatists.

That's awesome. He kicks the Bloc and the movement in the groin and these callers don't like that?

Anyway...there's idiots in every province and world for that matter

"Idiot" was originally used in ancient Greek city-states to refer to people who were overly concerned with their own self-interest and ignored the needs of the community. Declining to take part in public life, such as (semi-)democratic government of the polis (city state), such as the Athenian democracy, was considered dishonorable. "Idiots" were seen as having bad judgment in public and political matters. Over time, the term "idiot" shifted away from its original connotation of selfishness and came to refer to individuals with overall bad judgment–individuals who are "stupid".

Its rural-city divide here.

For example Southern Illinois hates Chicago. They think that all the money goes to Chicago. When Southern Illinois gets a lot of the money funded to them they still complain. They thought about separating as well it has gotten so bad. They don't understand that without the Chicago tax base there would be no money period.

Same goes for here in Missouri. There's two Missouri's. KC and STL and everything else in between. Everything else in between hates KC and STL. To them saint louis and KC is where all the black people and crime is. (Yet they love to come to our baseball games). They don't want to pay taxes yet they complain about there roads and saying we get all the money. (Which we don't they do because thats where the political base is).

Its all hypocritical in my opinion.

So what does everyone think of Dion?

Dion actually might be a problem. I said earlier in the thread he could be a good choice. Don't get me wrong. I meant that too.

IMO: Flip a coin. It's either a disaster for the Liberal's and Canada or Dion is going to surprise.

Problem with Dion is his home province. It's going to be interesting to watch how he goes about mending the sponsorship scandal whilst also hoping (soft) nationalists forgive him.

The thing that worries me is if the PQ win the National Assembly. Dion might be looked at as a goat on the Feds team. Charest will be there and Harper(Maybe). It would be nice to front a good Liberal.

The good news is the people of La Belle Province don't want to go. But, things can change in 2 years and you never know.

Harper is going to front the budget soon and he's probably going to try to trap the Liberal's. He's (theory) going to put forth bills neither the Liberal's nor the NDP will be willing to swallow and force them to call non-confidence. Dion needs time to build his rep and his aim to the people.

Ironic isn't it that it would be better to give Dion more time thus allowing Harper to remain in office, when the whole idea to defeat Harper is the no. 1 priority?

lol if Harper forces another snap election wouldn't he be breaking one of his promises? lol

I remember him saying that he would never call an early election just for political gain. But then again this is the same man who put a person in his cabinet that is not elected and got him into the government through the senate. Then there's Emerson. lol hypocrite.

lol if Harper forces another snap election wouldn't he be breaking one of his promises? lol

I remember him saying that he would never call an early election just for political gain. But then again this is the same man who put a person in his cabinet that is not elected and got him into the government through the senate. Then there's Emerson. lol hypocrite.

A politician saying he won't do something that is in their nature is like a cat saying it'll bring you the morning paper.

Which is why I laugh at harper every time I see him speak. He ran on these things during the election and he broke all of them within 24hrs after the election and still people didn't care. Imagine if a Liberal PM did what he did there would be rioting in the streets.

I'm invoking Robert's Rules Of Order: Point of Information.

Please elaborate on Harper's misgivings without invoking similar behaviours from his predecessors.

He played dirty tricks right after he ran and won on an election about corruption.

Emerson fiasco

Fortier is in the cabinet and he doesn't represent the people.

Just two examples.

Anyway I found my calling:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Emerson was good and bad. He didn't represent the people but he already had shaken hands with the deal makers as a grit. You're right. I think Harper could have resisted and found someone to take the ball and run with it.

Three you didn't mention was the environment, Kelowna and the not lowering the flag when a Canadian Soldier is killed in Afghanistan.

Problem is, when you cut away that, they've done well as a government IMO.

But wait...here comes the same sex stuff...this month to boot.

This party needs you or me as an advisor.

I read about the goings on in the country and polls. One thing I've noticed on the ground is that most people who were (softly) weary of Harper are thinking and saying, "leave him be, he's doing well".

I live in Halifax. I don't know what the ground word is elsewhere. One thing is for sure. This next 2 years is going to be remarkable.

BTW: My grade 12 teacher said Canadian history is more interesting than the U.S. I'm not sure I agree but a grade 12 teacher did say that :P

Dion has to work on anglais. I can't believe they are questioning his loyalty to Canada because he has duel-citizenship with France. I think he should renounce it if he became PM but not now.

PS: I read the article. What does one do? Poverty is a dog chasing its tail sometimes. BC has a big problem. :(

Yeah he's got to renounce his french passport.

The same sex thing is going to annoy the rest of the country. Who goes back to an issue thats already been resolved?! bizarre.

Environment for Harper has been a disaster. Rona made a fool out of herself and the country when she was in Africa. That was uncalled for.

Harper is going by the Mulroney play book. But that play book is an act. Look what happened to Mulroney. He left with what a 9% approval rating? People will tire of Harper's antics its inevitable.

Amateur hour in the house is embarrassing imo.

So really the longer he stays in power the more he's going to tick off his support. So its in his best interest that he has an election pronto.

I think some people who voted Conservative thought that it was still the Progressive Conservative Party. But I think the longer Harper has power people who voted for him will see its the reform/alliance party under the Conservative banner.

Well on the poverty issue I've got an idea.

You watch the video clip and these people have mental health/drug problems.

They should be in rehab (drugs) or getting professional help (mental health).

The second is these people do not have housing. Build housing plain and simple.

Third, they need jobs. Start programs that trains the homeless have pilot programs that make businesses hire homeless people. (down here we do the same for prisoners who need to come back into society some get jobs and such)

By doing that you have helped the people with drug and mental health issues.

You've given them jobs.

Apartments

and people then get off the street and do something with there lives.

Only problem is that politicians don't want to fix the problem but if BC Liberals don't tackle this problem they aren't going to be around after the olympics because I can almost guarantee NBC will do a giant story on the plight of the homeless the city will have a black eye.

I don't think Dion should have to unless he became PM. He obviously will have to to shut up the critics.

Thanks to the grits for almost possibly lighting a match to the federation. But, the grits farts smell like roses.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...Story/Business/

The same sex thing is smoke and mirrors politics IMO. We have our socially conservative vote. If this vote dies, Harper can claim he tried. Done deal. This is all a bunch of foolishness. He knows it. Gotta keep those roots happy

PS. Don't invite me to the rose liberal garden patch.