Game Thread | Montreal | Tampa Bay | 11/15/06

Spider-Man NL

The lats goal was very nice his best yet for sure, did you miss the toe drag that is a very talented move, and the shot wow ding a ling off the pipe and in.

It was just a matter of time before Lats got going. With what he showed in the past two training camps, it was obvious he had NHL-level skills and strenght.

Now he's got up to speed and he's not tentative anymore, he can rely on his instincts. But his goals are still coming off the PP where more space means more time to execute. When he gets even more comfortable, he'll get better 5-on-5 and that's where the Habs need to improve now.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Win! :clap:

Hopefully we win 3 in a row for the first time tomorow night, i want a winning streak dammit!

Glad to see Dandy back, hopefully Ninimaa will be able to go back to his natural side now?

Markov-Komi

Souray-Rivet

Dandenault-Ninimaa/Streit

I say we give Janne a shot on his correct side and see how he does, i seem to recall him being a little better when he was actually on the right side.

Nice Win! :clap:

I say we give Janne a shot on his correct side and see how he does, i seem to recall him being a little better when he was actually on the right side.

Lots of people are attributing Niinimaa's troubles to playing on his wrong side. I'm not so sure. It looks to me like we are going to have to play him on a side where you don't have to cover players in front of the net and where tackling forwards is legal.

Oh wow, Lats got a PP goal.... he is the next Crosby... wow.. lets ditch all the other players like Ryder (what did he ever do anyway). Wow, can't everyone see how totally awesome Lats is!!!!

Actually, it was a nice goal, but that was about the only time I noticed him all night and it was the hard work of Sammy that set it up.

Let's not over react every time Lats scores. I like Lats, but I don't see play that leads me to believe that at the end of the season he is going to be a huge 30 goal guy.

He is obviously not going back to junior, but I fully expect him to keep playing on the 3/4 lines once Higgins is back.

By the way, ribs had a better point per game average last year, and most people thought he didn't even cut it as a 2nd line guy. So lets just wait and not put too high an expectation on Lats.

Linden_Fan is that you? Havent heard anyone bash a guy that is putting up the points when we need it the most since the espnboard days. :D

Amazing saves from Huet and another slow start.

Turning points (2)

- Souray fire bullets on PP, the second goal would never been that strong without the awesome Markov pass.

- Ryder hustling at the Lighting blue line to keep it in at 8:03 3 period and forcing a penalty that allowed us to have the two goal lead.

Well another 2 points in the bank. Is it just me or when the puck is in the Habs zone it's like a live hand grenade. Players just ice it, throw it over the glass or turn it over. The really need to work on passing and moving the puck out of the zone.

Good news:

I thought all 4 forward lines played well and had scoring chances.

2 more points

Huet was very good again. I think Aebi goes tonight and back to Huet Sat.

PP and Pk very good again. 5 on 3 helped

Good penalty control tonight. I never complain about officiating but for both teams in the third there were some very weak calls, especially Ryders. The 2 Tampa calls at the end were ridiculous as well.

I thought they won alot of 1 on 1 battles most of the game.

Bad news:

Alot of turnovers in there own zone.

Dominated again in the first.

No 5 on 5 offense again. This eventually will catch up with the Habs if they don't get better.

Passing was very poor

Well another 2 points in the bank. Is it just me or when the puck is in the Habs zone it's like a live hand grenade. Players just ice it, throw it over the glass or turn it over. The really need to work on passing and moving the puck out of the zone.

Good news:

I thought all 4 forward lines played well and had scoring chances.

2 more points

Huet was very good again. I think Aebi goes tonight and back to Huet Sat.

PP and Pk very good again. 5 on 3 helped

Good penalty control tonight. I never complain about officiating but for both teams in the third there were some very weak calls, especially Ryders. The 2 Tampa calls at the end were ridiculous as well.

I thought they won alot of 1 on 1 battles most of the game.

Bad news:

Alot of turnovers in there own zone.

Dominated again in the first.

No 5 on 5 offense again. This eventually will catch up with the Habs if they don't get better.

Passing was very poor

I thought we played a lot better 5 on 5 tonight just didnt score. Kovalev's line itself coulda got a couple even strenght points easy tonight. Sammy hit the bar, Kost was robbed, etc.

A small note.

Just saw that both Souray and Markov are on the top ten list for points among defencemen...

Who would have tought?

Thats all and good now, but lets wait and see where they finish at the end of the year. Souray has problems staying healthy, and then struggling when he comes back from injury. And its only a matter of time before teams start keying on him on the PP. Just like McCabe last year with Toronto.

Linden_Fan is that you? Havent heard anyone bash a guy that is putting up the points when we need it the most since the espnboard days. :D

I didn't bash Lats, I bashed you guys who are over hyping the poor guy.

If I put up a post on every single play made by Riberio last year, drooling all over him, you can bet I would get the blast.

My point on Lats is that some people here are so emotionally tied to his success, they are over doing it and over hyping the crap out of the poor kid. They over rotate on his every success, as if getting a goal or two on the PP suddenly makes him the next Lindros (yes, someone referred to him as a young Lindros). People then start ranting about Ryder being replaced...

Hmm, Ryder has several seasons of success behind him. He is streaky and has gone a few games without scoring. So because Lats gets a few, he is suddenly better then Ryder. Ah.. Lats had 12 games without a point, didn't he?

So, lets see.. Lats has one garbage goal, one tip in on a Souray shot, and two "Ryder like" goals. Good stuff, but it hardly proves he should be on the first line ahead of Higgins and Ryder.

We also don't need every goal he gets to be followed by a bunch of post "woot, Lats.. told ya, told ya, he is awesome, first line.. 40 goal scorer.. .... "

All that will accomplish is half the people disliking him because of the constant hype, which is sad.

I personally hope he is successful, but I want to see other rookies get the same chances to see how they do. I will be happy if both of them stay up in lieu of Downey and Murray.

We also don't need every goal he gets to be followed by a bunch of post "woot, Lats.. told ya, told ya, he is awesome, first line.. 40 goal scorer.. .... "

I will agree with you on that point, but it seems, for some reason, that Latendresse has polarized Habs fans. It's either "what the hell is he doing in Montreal?" or "He's the next coming!". How about everyone takes a breath, realize that he's a rookie who will have his ups and downs, and be glad he's got a little scoring streak going. Personally, I'm glad the Habs have a player (a rookie, no less!) that can step in and contribute when we lose a significant player. Years past, we'd be plugging Jim Campbell, Dagenais, and the like on the top lines.

As fas as kaos' post regarding Souray, umm...teams already have been keying on Souray. Most PKs are going to key on the point man with a strong shot, that's no big secret.