Kovalev: how worried should we be?

Aebischer4life - You rail on Robert Lang and Martin Straka as if they were bad players.

They're not. It's riduculous to assert that they are, they're both very talented in their own right. Straka's career high in points is the same as Kovalev - 95, while Lang has been a nearly point per game player everywhere he's played.

That line didn't succeed only because of him, the other two were superb too. That was simply a fantastic line, and all 3 reached career highs in points in 2000-01 (Lang -83, Kovalev -95, Straka -95).

Kovy's point per game average is 0.81, which simply isn't superstar-esque. Would you call Alex Mogilny a superstar? He averaged over a point per game his entire career. How about Mark Recchi, who's done the exact same thing. Has Kovalev ever carried a bad team on his back to success? The answer is no. Look at the time he spent in the Big Apple, struggling to score on a floundering team and he didn't take them anywhere.

Kovalev's a talent and a first line player; don't get me wrong, but he's not a consistent offensive threat, certainly not a superstar, and never has been.

Aebischer4life - You rail on Robert Lang and Martin Straka as if they were bad players.

They're not. It's riduculous to assert that they are, they're both very talented in their own right. Straka's career high in points is the same as Kovalev - 95, while Lang has been a nearly point per game player everywhere he's played.

That line didn't succeed only because of him, the other two were superb too. That was simply a fantastic line, and all 3 reached career highs in points in 2000-01 (Lang -83, Kovalev -95, Straka -95).

Kovy's point per game average is 0.81, which simply isn't superstar-esque. Would you call Alex Mogilny a superstar? He averaged over a point per game his entire career. How about Mark Recchi, who's done the exact same thing. Has Kovalev ever carried a bad team on his back to success? The answer is no. Look at the time he spent in the Big Apple, struggling to score on a floundering team and he didn't take them anywhere.

Kovalev's a talent and a first line player; don't get me wrong, but he's not a consistent offensive threat, certainly not a superstar, and never has been.

So in other words, he's not Brian Bellows. :lol:

What I was saying is that Kovalev didnt pad his stats playing with Lemieux and Jagr. He just had great chemistry with Lang and Straka and put it all together in 2000-01 and 2001-02. Then in 2002-03 Lang was traded and Straka was injured msot of the season. PLaying with Jan Hrdina, Kovalev scored 64 points in 54 games in the old nhl. Pretty impressive no?

Kovalev's an inconsistent player, that's all.

I keep hearing that he's THE player to have in the post-season. That's worth it's weight in gold!

GO :hlogo: GO!

What I was saying is that Kovalev didnt pad his stats playing with Lemieux and Jagr.

No, but that 2nd line did ride their coat tails. Teams went all out trying to stop the top line (unsuccessfully) which made things easier for the 2nd line. Things went well most of the season for that line, so Kovalev showed up quite frequently. There are just some guys who seem to disappear if things aren't going well, instead of working extra hard to turn things around. Kovy just seems like one of them.

No, but that 2nd line did ride their coat tails. Teams went all out trying to stop the top line (unsuccessfully) which made things easier for the 2nd line. Things went well most of the season for that line, so Kovalev showed up quite frequently. There are just some guys who seem to disappear if things aren't going well, instead of working extra hard to turn things around. Kovy just seems like one of them.

How do you explain his success in 2002-03 then? 64 points in 54 games playing with freakin jan hrdina. No jagr on the team and Lemiex played only 22 games.

Didnt think so.

Superstars top 70 points more than twice in 14 years. End of story.

That doesnt have anything to do with what we were discussing. When Kovalev felt like giving it his all every game, he was in top 5 ppg in 01,02 and 03 while with pittsburgh.

Anyways the past is the past and he has to be better this season.

When Kovalev felt like giving it his all every game, he was in top 5 ppg in 01,02 and 03 while with pittsburgh.

Therein the's problem. Superstars are the guys who feel like giving it their all for more than 2 seasons out of 14.

oh and dark_faerie - I get it :lol:

Kovy has proven himself when it comes to his skilled hands, he's got nothing to prove n nor will he break any records anytime soon. But who here wouldnt want him on da ice when u need a goal late in da period? He can win when he wants to.. but with his wonky knee i'd let him play with younger guys to fetch him da loose pucks in da corner.

###### did Kovy play intensive... he looked like a power forward with hands of a surgeon ... he was relaxed and played with perhaps too much finess for his line to catch up.. nevertheless thats the level I want to see in that line... if the finess can be read by Sammy and Plek... then that second line might shine soon! all in all I was happy with that line! hope it progresses as the games go on!

I agree I think they looked good tonight but the pucks are still not going in for them, all they have to do is score one or two and the gates will open, they must feel snake bitten.

LOL Kovy had 2 points no?

Sammy is the one who looks snake bitten to me. 0 GOALS IN HIS LAST 10 GAMES :(

LOL Kovy had 2 points no?

Sammy is the one who looks snake bitten to me. 0 GOALS IN HIS LAST 10 GAMES :(

I think he means as a line. As far as I noticed, neither of Kovy's points came with the 2nd line intact. Actually, can someone explain what Bonk and Kovy were doing together on the ice on Bonk's goal? and who was the third forward on the ice? I couldn't watch last night. Was Carbo experimenting?

I think he means as a line. As far as I noticed, neither of Kovy's points came with the 2nd line intact. Actually, can someone explain what Bonk and Kovy were doing together on the ice on Bonk's goal? and who was the third forward on the ice? I couldn't watch last night. Was Carbo experimenting?

Sammy was the third forward and from looking at the shift chart, it looks like the 3rd line was just replacing the 2nd line when the goal was scored.

Sammy was the third forward and from looking at the shift chart, it looks like the 3rd line was just replacing the 2nd line when the goal was scored.

Thanks for clarifying... I kept waiting for all the articles the next day to explain, or someone in the game thread, but no one was saying...