Game Thread | Atlanta vs. Canadiens | 11/18/06

Spider-Man NL

Plante150.jpgHarvey150.jpgBeliveau150.jpggeoffrion150.jpgMorenz150.jpg

MRichard150.jpgLafleur150.jpgmoore150.jpgcournoyer150.jpgHRichard150.jpg

atlanta200.gifvrssign.gifmontreal200.gif

2006-07 Regular Season Record:

atlanta50.gif12-6-3 : 27 Points (2nd in the Eastern Conference)

montreal50.gif10-5-3 : 23 Points (5th in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

Atlanta

2893.gif# 32 Kari Lehtonen (9-5-3), 2.93 GAA, .898 Save%

Montreal

2311.gif# 39 Cristobal Huet (5-2-2), 2.35 GAA, .925 Save%

Thrashers Roster

Link

Canadiens Roster

Link

13453.gifCanadienBall.jpg13454.gif

Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder

Samsonov - Kovalev - Kostitsyn

Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson

Begin- Plekanec - Downey

13457.gif

Komisarek - Markov

Souray - Rivet

Dandenault - Streit

13455.gif

Cristobal Huet

5352_1.jpg

DandyATL.jpg

This game can be seen 7:00pm eastern on:

l_RDS.gif

Cjad.jpg

Listen to the game live at 7:00 pm on CJAD 800 AM

OR

ckac.jpg

Listen to the game live (In French) at 7:00 pm on CKAC 730 AM

Edited by Spider-Man NL

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=5352

Countdown to Savard Night begins

Former Habs defenseman to have his No. 18 retired Saturday night at the Bell Centre

MONTREAL - In what is sure to be a memorable night at the Bell Centre, a Canadiens victory over the Atlanta Thrashers on Serge Savard night on Saturday would just be icing on the cake for the Hall of Fame defenseman.

From Savard to fans lucky enough to be present and even the thousands watching at home, a retired jersey ceremony is always special. With Savard’s big night marking the ninth such evening in team history, the Canadiens have a 3-3-2 mark with a freshly hung banner high above their home ice.

Last season saw the Canadiens blank the Rangers 1-0 on one of the most emotional nights in hockey history when Bernard “Boom Boom” Geoffrion’s No. 5 was raised to the rafters of the Bell Centre on the same day he passed away. That victory, fittingly sealed by a Craig Rivet slapshot, was the Habs first win on a retired jersey night in over 20 years.

With the Canadiens losing to the Flyers on Jacques Plante Night back on Oct. 7, 1995, Montreal’s last victory dated back to Oct. 26, 1985, when legendary defenseman Doug Harvey was honored. That night, the Habs beat the Hartford Whalers 5-3 at the Forum with Mats Naslund potting a pair of goals, including the game winner. Head coach Guy Carbonneau and GM Bob Gainey were both in uniform that night with Carbo picking up an assist.

Howie Morenz was the first Habs player to have his jersey retired, but the star forward’s No. 7 was posthumously honored as part of the 1937 NHL All-Star Game at the Forum.

The first player to have his ceremony before a Canadiens game was none other than Maurice “Rocket” Richard, whose trademark No. 9 was retired prior to the Habs taking on Toronto on Oct. 6, 1960. Thanks to future jersey retirees Jean Beliveau, Bernard Geoffrion, Doug Harvey, Dickie Moore and Richard’s little brother, the hated Maple Leafs did not rain on the Rocket’s parade that night. Henri scored a pair of goals in the 5-0 drubbing, while Geoffrion also scored, Moore had three assists, Beliveau chipped in with a pair of helpers and Harvey picked up an assist of his own.

Time will tell who will step up tomorrow for the Canadiens to ensure that Serge Savard leaves the Bell Centre on Saturday night with an even bigger smile on his face.

Manny Almela is a writer for canadiens.com

5352_3.jpg

Serge Savard helped lead the Canadiens to eight Stanley Cups over the course of his 15 years spent playing for the Habs.

Habs must win this to forget such ugly lost but I'll admit I want them to lose >.< Overall just wanted to show Carbo & Company that Abby is not the problem ... the whole team is actually without defence goalie can't make it without offence we can't win, I'll admit Abby wasn't that good the other night... but he needs another chance to prove himself hope he ain't going to wait that long ... and being bench =[

btw nicely made Spider Man NL with all the flags and summary for every habs game =)

Habs must win this to forget such ugly lost but I'll admit I want them to lose >.< Overall just wanted to show Carbo & Company that Abby is not the problem ... the whole team is actually without defence goalie can't make it without offence we can't win, I'll admit Abby wasn't that good the other night... but he needs another chance to prove himself hope he ain't going to wait that long ... and being bench =[

btw nicely made Spider Man NL with all the flags and summary for every habs game =)

No offense Habstown but that theory your holding onto is not very bright. Losing isn't going to show Carbo anything. The Thrashers are a team we will be fighting for a playoff spot, and we need the 2 points more then ever in this new NHL where teams are really becoming equal. Atlanta has a good team.Period.

Now ....we all knew Huet would come through, and he is. Abby was always the back up plan if Huet staggered. Truth being told.....Abby for Theo was a equal trade exept for Abby was cheaper. Don't expect anything from Abby more then you would from Theo. A good game, another good game, a bad game, then a blow out......regain his form bullS$#%T. There never was any form to regain. Huet all the way. Abby? I hope he gets hot so we have something to trade come all star break. He's not cutting it as a number one and that's not good for us any way you look at it.

Carbo has tried to keep it even but the true goal stopper is prevailing. Carbo should keep doing what he's doing and hope Abby can make himself a wanted man. That way we win and land a decent center for the playoffs.

On another note.....F&^K Yanick is on fire in Pheonix.......Who would have thought?

Let's take a look at their roster.

Their forwards:

Holik: 21 3 5 8 (last season 33 points, 35 years old)

Kapanen: 21 1 3 4 (last season 14 g, 21 a, 35 p)28 years old

Metropolit: 15 2 5 7 (32 years old)

Slater: 21 0 6 6 (last season 20 points)

Larsen: 21 3 2 5 (last season 7 g, 8 a, 15 p) 29 years old

Mellanby: 21 6 7 13 (last season 12g, 22 a, 34 p)40 years old

Rucchin: 21 4 5 9 (last season 13 g, 23 a, 36 p) 35 years old

Sim: 21 7 3 10 (last season 10 g, 8 a, 18 p in 33 games)

Thats 9 forwards out of 12 who didnt score more then 14 goals and 36 points last season!!!!!!

Their defense is very weak, doesnt score much and is average defensively. Mccarthy and Exelby are injured which makes things even worse.

To top that off, they have a very inconsistent goalie. Lehtonen has a 3.07 GAA and a 0.893 save %. Thats out of the top 30 in the league!

So if we shut down Kovy, Hossa and Kozlov, it'll be very easy win.

Edited by Aebischer4life

I'm glad to see Savard get this honour. I didn't know him as a player, but he was the best GM the Habs have had in my memory until Bob Gainey. Why he was forced out/fired, I will never understand.

I'm glad to see Savard get this honour. I didn't know him as a player, but he was the best GM the Habs have had in my memory until Bob Gainey. Why he was forced out/fired, I will never understand.

the habs are a very special organization...heck so special there going to make a movie out of them!

n e ways tonight in honour of Savard...the habs have to win....shut down the kovalchuck line...

now if only the second line would wake up...

Why he was forced out/fired, I will never understand.

his time was up that all. I can't say I agree with many of his draft choices.

anyway, I'm not gonna bash a great habs on his DAY. I just wished I'd seen him play but I was rather young when he retired.

MERCI SERGE!!

GO HABS GO

this should be a fun game !!

I'm going to be at the Leaf game tonight, LETS GO DEVILS

I'll be having my eye on the out of town scoreboard constantly. Please show me some good results Montreal!!

Shut down their power line, and then they have nothing on us. Our team is better all around.

his time was up that all. I can't say I agree with many of his draft choices.

anyway, I'm not gonna bash a great habs on his DAY. I just wished I'd seen him play but I was rather young when he retired.

MERCI SERGE!!

GO HABS GO

this should be a fun game !!

If someone's time is done it means that there is an adequate replacement for him. If there is no suitable candidate, then their time cannot be done. We had Rejean Houle. He killed the Habs. Certainly Savard could have held the fort in place of the incompetant Houle.

Maybe Serge's drafting wasn't the best, but as someone pointed out he got us Koivu and Roy. I could add Lemieux, Chelios, Carbonneau, and a whackload of other good picks to that list.

I just wrote the CBC and said:

This is a retroactive complaint. Why won't you show the Serge Savard retirement ceremony and THEN cut to NJ @ T.O.?

Because I know YOU WON'T!

....and this will be their retroactive apology after most of Canada does complain. "Because, darn it, we didn't realize most of Canada can't stand our over-hyping of the Leafs"........and smart enough to figure it out!!!

Are you kidding me? You want the Habs to lose just so Abby can look better?!?! To hell with Abby, we need a win.

Edited by sbhatt

Are you kidding me? You want the Habs to lose just so Abby can look better?!?! To hell with Abby, we need a win.

yeah some people are delusionnal....

anyways game time in about 3hours and a half!!!! go habs go

I'm not sure Lehtonen is starting tonight... although I wouldn't mind it.. he's been shaky of late...

GO HABS GO!!! I EXPECT REDEMPTION FROM LAST GAME!!!

If someone's time is done it means that there is an adequate replacement for him. If there is no suitable candidate, then their time cannot be done. We had Rejean Houle. He killed the Habs. Certainly Savard could have held the fort in place of the incompetant Houle.

Maybe Serge's drafting wasn't the best, but as someone pointed out he got us Koivu and Roy. I could add Lemieux, Chelios, Carbonneau, and a whackload of other good picks to that list.

I still put the blame on Corey.

It was he who fired Savard. It was he who hired Reggie.

I can't blame Houle. He loves the Canadiens with his heart and soul. I think that he felt the moves he was making would benefit the team. He did not act in malice. He was just underqualified. The person responsible was the person who put him into the job.

I have to put the blame on Corey who was sitting at bench side when Roy left.

Habs draft history

Have a look at what Serge did from 83 to 95 and you'll see some good picks.

Especially '87. Our top 4 =

17 C Andrew Cassels

33 L John LeClair

38 D Eric Desjardins

44 D Mathieu Schneider

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN