-- HabsWorld Official Book Thread --

Doktor Kosmos

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I'm reading a bunch of books by LARRY NIVEN. It's science fiction. I've been a science fiction/fantasy amateur since my teen years. For many years, I got away from it.

I started back into SF with his books NEUTRON STAR and now, I'm reading THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE (not religious at all, by the way...). Later, I'll get into RINGWORLD. I read this stuff back in the 70's. I enjoyed it then and it's kind of ok now...

I'll tell you about what I enjoy a lot later...

GO :hlogo: GO!

IMHO, the best book by Niven is one of his collaborations with Jerry Pournelle (SP) called Lucifer's Hammer. It is a great tale of the remants of the world after a comet strike.

If any of you guys have a chance to read something from Patrick Sénécal, go ahead he's awesome

In reading this thread, I long for the days when I had time to read more books... having a young family squeezes out a lot of leisure time.

I did (slowly) read B.B. King's autobiography recently - Blues All Around Me. I recommend it if you're a fan of his.

The last two seminars of the Literature class on the English C course were on William Faulkner. We read a bunch of short stories. I really like Faulkner.

The seminar next week will be on Tennessee Williams and his A Streetcar Named Desire. I'm about halfway through. Either I'm getting more used to reading plays, or this is a particularly good play. Or both. I'm thinking about renting (or even buying) the movie version starring Marlon Brando.

I bought a Graham Greene book at the annual book sale. It was a volume with both Our Man In Havanna and The Third Man.

I also bought a book called Den Svenska Sångboken and a collection of famous quotes.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy was awesome! Best thing I've read since Murakami (which is saying something as I did really love Faulkner and Tennessee Williams).

• 3 weeks later...

Fanpuck's avatar reminded me of one of the funniest books I've read in my life: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. :D

• 2 months later...

I finished Paul Auster's The Oracle Night at 3:30 this morning. Really good book. It didn't blow me away like the New York Trilogy did, but I am definitely going to check out more of Auster's books. My brother, who's a huge Auster fan, recommended The Brooklyn Follies. I've got a bunch of other books I'll read before that one though. I want to build up some more anticipation before I read the next Auster book.

Fanpuck's avatar reminded me of one of the funniest books I've read in my life: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. :D

How exactly did my avatar do that? Chris Higgins and the Jackets have something to do with a book?

I'm reading a poker book: Small Stakes Hold 'em.

By Ed Miller David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth.

I heared it's a very good book,it's in english, but not to hard to understand. I'm still improving my pokerskills

David Sklansky? Good player. You'd better listen to that guy.

David Sklansky? Good player. You'd better listen to that guy.

Yeah i read another part the other day, but i have to say my skills have improved, i'm actually playing and winning. Not only bonusses, but still have a lot to learn. I'm just playing on 50ct/1 dollar tables.

hmm can't find a good book for dutchie on how to survive in America. Apparently nobody has ever thought of this hysterical topic...

I've been to the states before, i think i manage. Will LA/SF/LV be worse than NY?

I have to look out for beers in Yosemite NP, and mountain-lions in the Grand Canyon :)

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan