Video Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Looking for a suggestion for Wii games. All I have right now is NHL 2K9, Mario Galaxy and Wii Fit. I need something new but I'm not sure whats good.

Mario Kart Wii is fantastic, it never gets old if you have wireless access. Smash Bros. Brawl is pretty good too, but it's far better multiplayer than single player. The online isn't that great for it, which was a disappointment. Two minute matches are too short. There's always Twilight Princess, an awesome single player game.

I can't believe you still have 2k9, haha. That was probably the worst game I've ever played.

Looking for a suggestion for Wii games. All I have right now is NHL 2K9, Mario Galaxy and Wii Fit. I need something new but I'm not sure whats good.

*ahem*

Metroid Prime 3

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Zack and Wiki

Okami (if you didn't play it on PS2)

Resident Evil 4 (if you missed it on GC, PS2 or PC. Even then the new controls add to it so it's worth a rental)

Boom Blox

No More Heroes

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Warioware: Smooth Moves

Trauma centre: Second Opinion

Trauma centre: New Blood

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (if you didn't play the 360 version. I had a lot of fun with this game)

SSX Blur

Elebits

Wii Fit, if you can find it

Metal Slug Anthology

Rayman Raving Rabbids

Dragon Ball Z: BT 2 if you don't mind DBZ

NiGHTS

Need For Speed Carbon

de Blob, Animal Crossing and Symphonia 2 have all also come out since I posted that list. If you have AC on GC or DS though then don't bother on the Wii because it really doesn't add anything to the series. And I bolded the must owns, left out some stuff Fanpuck mentioned but Galaxy and Twilight are must owns too. If you've got Smash Melee then you can put off Brawl, it's a better game. Unless you really want to play as Sonic or something, Brawl can wait. Mario Kart is fine if you don't have/haven't played any of the previous titles but in the series it doesn't stack up well. It's not Double Dash (thank god) but it's not Mario Kart DS either.

And if you delve into the VC, Mega Man 9 and Sin And Punishment are two original games you should take a look at. Unless you've played MM9 on another console already. Sin And Punishment was an N64 game IIRC made specifically for the HDD add-on that North America never received so Sin And Punishment never made it's way overseas until last year. Nintendo was so impressed with the reception of the game that they started development on a sequel, due out in 2009.

I'm assuming you've played all the old classics on the VC already like Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Bros. 3 and like a hundred others. And if you haven't, then get on it, you can go through the tedious terror of the Water Temple in OoT like the rest of us, haha.

de Blob, Animal Crossing and Symphonia 2 have all also come out since I posted that list. If you have AC on GC or DS though then don't bother on the Wii because it really doesn't add anything to the series. And I bolded the must owns, left out some stuff Fanpuck mentioned but Galaxy and Twilight are must owns too. If you've got Smash Melee then you can put off Brawl, it's a better game. Unless you really want to play as Sonic or something, Brawl can wait. Mario Kart is fine if you don't have/haven't played any of the previous titles but in the series it doesn't stack up well. It's not Double Dash (thank god) but it's not Mario Kart DS either.

And if you delve into the VC, Mega Man 9 and Sin And Punishment are two original games you should take a look at. Unless you've played MM9 on another console already. Sin And Punishment was an N64 game IIRC made specifically for the HDD add-on that North America never received so Sin And Punishment never made it's way overseas until last year. Nintendo was so impressed with the reception of the game that they started development on a sequel, due out in 2009.

I'm assuming you've played all the old classics on the VC already like Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Bros. 3 and like a hundred others. And if you haven't, then get on it, you can go through the tedious terror of the Water Temple in OoT like the rest of us, haha.

I'm pretty new to the Wii... but still have the original nintendo. I enjoyed Halo, Madden, NCAA football, Midnight Club and Need for Speed. I saw the new NFS is available for Wii but I'm kind of worried about the controls for it.

I'm pretty new to the Wii... but still have the original nintendo. I enjoyed Halo, Madden, NCAA football, Midnight Club and Need for Speed. I saw the new NFS is available for Wii but I'm kind of worried about the controls for it.

Only NFS I've had for the Wii was Carbon, just because I get sick of them every year. But I had a ton of fun with it so I wouldn't worry about it.

• 5 months later...
Is punchout really any good? I'm reluctant to buy games I haven't played... and none of my friends have it and I hate renting games lol.

Yeah, I haven't read anything about it, but it just looks like something that could have just been a WiiWare game. Looks like a complete rehash with new controls. Love the idea, just doesn't sound like a full game.

The Wii MotionPlus comes out in a couple weeks, I kind of have mixed feelings about it. It sounds like a great product, but I read that new games will start requiring MotionPlus, so people will have to get one for each remote. Hopefully it will be good enough so 3rd parties will start making games that aren't dumbed down so much. I doubt it, though.

If Braid can't fit onto WiiWare then Punch-Out definitely isn't going to fit. It should be $30, not $50

MotionPlus is a ridiculous idea. It's fixing a console deficiency that should have been there in the first place, just so Nintendo can find another way to suck the money out of soccer moms everywhere. They're gouging consumers the same way they did with the expansion pak for the 64. Example, you couldn't play Majora's Mask or Perfect Dark without it. On the Wii? Can't play Red Steel 2 without MotionPlus.

And 3rd parties are only making stupid, simple games because everyone is pirating the real games. The Wii is probably one of the easiest consoles to mod ever, don't even need a modchip so while MadWorld sells 10 copies, Carnival Party 22 sells 10 billion and developers think "Wii owners must want more Carnival Party!"

I usually don't care about pirating, I'd be a hypocrite if I did. But people who mod and pirate Wii games I legitimately get mad at because they're ruining it for everyone else. Hence the weakest damn library in existence.

Just starting to watch all the conferences but I was surprised at how huge Nintendo's conference was, they really made up for last year. Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Golden Sun DS, another Zelda game next year, another Mario & Luigi game and finally Team Ninja collaborating with Nintendo on the next Metroid game, Metroid: Other M. And the Vitality attachment but that seems like more of a weird accessory for the soccer moms.

Red Steel 2 will be packaged with MotionPlus as well. Guess I have no choice but to get it now (unless RS2 is completely messed up as well)

To be fair though, Microsoft won E3 this year but thats for the 360 thread

You think Wii Sports Resort (includes MotionPlus thingy) will be worth it, or does it make more sense to just wait for Red Steel 2?

I don't know, if you asked me a year ago, I would've said no. They showed off some new games this year though and it actually looks kind of fun. As a pack-in, I'd say go for it. Who knows how good Red Steel 2 is gonna be anyway, better to rely on a first party game.

I just finished watching Nintendo's conference, they ended with the Other M trailer. Holy. Shit. That and Super Mario Galaxy 2 makes me really glad I've hung in there and not sold my Wii. Other M especially, looks effing AMAZING. Still probably have to wait another year and a half though. :(

I don't know, if you asked me a year ago, I would've said no. They showed off some new games this year though and it actually looks kind of fun. As a pack-in, I'd say go for it. Who knows how good Red Steel 2 is gonna be anyway, better to rely on a first party game.

I just finished watching Nintendo's conference, they ended with the Other M trailer. Holy. Shit. That and Super Mario Galaxy 2 makes me really glad I've hung in there and not sold my Wii. Other M especially, looks effing AMAZING. Still probably have to wait another year and a half though. :(

Yeah, I've had thoughts about selling my Wii also. There have been so few games I've liked and now that my friend with the 360 isn't within biking distance, I've got nowhere to play NHL and NCAA 10. The games I have liked, though, I have absolutely loved and don't want to part with.

Yeah, I've had thoughts about selling my Wii also. There have been so few games I've liked and now that my friend with the 360 isn't within biking distance, I've got nowhere to play NHL and NCAA 10. The games I have liked, though, I have absolutely loved and don't want to part with.

Virtual Console and the hope Nintendo will wake up is what kept me going. Emulators and ROMs just don't work for me anymore and I don't mind spending the 5-10 bucks to play a game I beat 10-15 years ago. And after E3, Nintendo seems to be coming around. The one game I was banking on seeing though was Pikmin 3 and it didn't show up at all. Other M made up for my disappointment though. :lol:

Go win the lottery and get yourself a 360 though. ;)

Ok, I'm not really sure what people want from Nintendo anymore. The message boards out there are filled with people still unhappy with what Nintendo brought to the table. They gave everything the fans wanted this year, what the hell is there to complain about?

Is it cool to just hate on Nintendo for no reason at all now?

Hey Fanpuck, I don't know if you like the Tiger Woods games or not but 10 just came out and it's shipping with MotionPlus. Apparently it adds a LOT to the game and some are saying it's the best golf experience out there. Thinking of getting it myself because my dad keeps bugging me to get a golf game, he's sick of Wii Sports, lol.

Hey Fanpuck, I don't know if you like the Tiger Woods games or not but 10 just came out and it's shipping with MotionPlus. Apparently it adds a LOT to the game and some are saying it's the best golf experience out there. Thinking of getting it myself because my dad keeps bugging me to get a golf game, he's sick of Wii Sports, lol.

I bought this myself today.

It's pretty awesome (game and MotionPlus)

Yeah, I've been thinking whether or not to get it. I need to get an effing job so I don't have the be so picky about what to buy this year. Did hardly any subbing at all during the school year, and this is a terrible time to decide to switch to another field.

Well you can go get The Conduit tomorrow and then I'll play devil's advocate in the Wii thread if you want. :P

Haha, I already don't like it, there appears to be no on-console multiplayer. Why do so few FPS have that feature on Wii?

System multiplayer is going down the drain, it's not just the Wii. The industry is trending more and more towards online multiplayer, it's pretty brutal.

Ghostbusters had no local multiplayer either.

So I got The Conduit this morning and it made me realize. I've bought more Wii games this year then I did all of last year (3 this year compared to 2 last year)

Kinda sad.

Yeah, I haven't bought one since Mario Kart.

• 1 month later...

Wii Sports Resort is pretty solid. Probably just about worth 30 bucks, which is really what the game costs after subtracting the value of the MotionPlus thingy. Good variety, as a number of the sports have multiple types of events. The sword game is pretty cool, about as good as expected. It really does match your movements. I almost have to relearn some things. I'm used to just a quick motion counting as a full strike in stuff like Red Steel, but now you actually have to follow through the entire motion to make contact. The frisbee is a ton of fun. Golf is a lot better, except for the putting, which doesn't seem any different than Wii Sports. One thing I wish the game had was the Fitness Test that Wii Sports had, where you did three random events every day.

Wii Sports Resort is pretty solid. Probably just about worth 30 bucks, which is really what the game costs after subtracting the value of the MotionPlus thingy. Good variety, as a number of the sports have multiple types of events. The sword game is pretty cool, about as good as expected. It really does match your movements. I almost have to relearn some things. I'm used to just a quick motion counting as a full strike in stuff like Red Steel, but now you actually have to follow through the entire motion to make contact. The frisbee is a ton of fun. Golf is a lot better, except for the putting, which doesn't seem any different than Wii Sports. One thing I wish the game had was the Fitness Test that Wii Sports had, where you did three random events every day.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...i-Sports-Resort

• 2 weeks later...

I waited almost two weeks since starting my movie/game pass at Blockbuster before Grand Slam Tennis was finally in stock. All that waiting and the game is horrible. I just lost all hope Wii Sports Resort had given me that the MotionPlus was going to bring a new level of gaming to the Wii. More proof that only Nintendo can make really good Wii games.

The tennis on Wii Sports felt more realistic.

That just means the game was shitty, theres other games out there where MotionPlus is getting shit tons of praise. Tiger Woods for example. I hadn't even heard of the game until you mentioned it today so expectations should've been low anyway.

You gotta give these new kinds of technology a year or two before you can evaluate it because the initial software is slapped together, thats why Red Steel 2 was delayed. Also the reason why launch games for consoles always suck 99% of the time.