Video Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Pfft, the game isn't even crap, haha. I just looked it up to check a bunch of reviews and got this

In fact, the addition of control found in Wii MotionPlus is so impressive that it actually affects the entire experience across the board. I wouldn't normally want to go through challenge modes or mini-games while playing in a serious career experience, but in Grand Slam Tennis it's fun.

Grand Slam Tennis is an impressive package on Wii, and one of the best tennis games I’ve ever played. This opening year of Wii MotionPlus support – and the fact that it’s the first time out the gate for this series – leaves a few odd experiences to be had, and it’s not quite a true 1:1 experience for real-racquet movement, but minus a bit of a learning curve and some mechanical serving the experience is surprisingly fun and really, really addictive.

Just re-inforces what I said. MotionPlus is only 2 months old, you gotta cut the developers some slack before expecting what it really has to offer. Nintendo developed the hardware so obviously they'll know it's in's and out's before anyone else does. Let me know what you think of MotionPlus in 2011 before throwing it to the dogs.

Pfft, the game isn't even crap, haha. I just looked it up to check a bunch of reviews and got this

Just re-inforces what I said. MotionPlus is only 2 months old, you gotta cut the developers some slack before expecting what it really has to offer. Nintendo developed the hardware so obviously they'll know it's in's and out's before anyone else does. Let me know what you think of MotionPlus in 2011 before throwing it to the dogs.

I don't care what the reviewers say, the game is total crap. The reviewers clearly haven't played tennis in real life. It relies on waggling just like any other Wii game. It constantly reads a back swing as an actual swing. The serving is taken straight from Wii Sports tennis. You can't even do a drop shot or lob with pure motion, you have to hold a button. 90% of the time the racket doesn't point in the right direction. I seriously hold the remote in the ready position and the dumb thing thinks I'm holding it all the way off to the side, ready to swing. I'm also pretty sure it's impossible to hit a ball long.

It's always a waiting game with the Wii. When it was launched, it was always "give companies a year to get used to the technology." After 2 years, we're still getting crap games like NCAA 09. Now it's the same thing with MotionPlus. A game they chose to release at the same time the technology is released doesn't even utilize it, so we're supposed to wait till next year. I'm sick and tired of waiting. I'm done hoping for a good sports game on the Wii that doesn't have Mario or Tiger Woods in it.

It's a waiting game with every console, not just the Wii. I didn't think you were new to this. Theres been a lot of well-made games that have taken advantage of the technology. The problem is the way Nintendo is marketing the console. The games made for gamers don't sell while flighty stuff like Carnival Games 9 sells like hotcakes. Developers just can't be bothered to sink money into a project that won't make anything in return. And because the Wii is the easiest console ever to mod, the only people who WOULD buy the hardcore games are just downloading them for free. It's just not in most developers interest to work on a real project for the Wii because it won't make any money anyway. Thats why Team Ninja working on the Metroid series is that much more exciting. Nintendo has stuffed the Wii into this frustrating middle ground where it's insanely successful but for all the wrong reasons.

That wasn't even really in response to anything you said, I think I just went off on a rant there.

Anyway, you think Natal is gonna have amazing technology as soon as it's released? Not a chance. The PS3 motion stick? Nope. Did the Sixaxis have anything that utilized it really well right off the bat? Nuh-uh. How about the PS3 Eye-Toy? It's waiting too. The 64's expansion pack? It barely had any support.

The dev kits for these types of things are handed out to third parties after the first party has already gotten fully accustomed to it. Thus giving them a massive advantage. Thats why consoles usually just have bullshit games for their first year. 360 didn't see a giant release until a full year after it came out, the PS3 had to wait a year and a half. Luckily Nintendo slapped some Wii controls onto a Cube game and we got Twilight Princess right away.

Oh yeah, the Transfer Pak and the E-Reader, how could I forget those two gems. Two more piles of crap I spent money on that Nintendo never really supported.

Edited by jetsniper

Yeah, I already know that there's no hope for legitimate games on the Wii, I was just hoping the new technology would change it. Plus, you gotta remember that the best part of pessimism is that it doesn't sting as much when things go poorly and you feel even better when things do go well. It was my own fault for being optimistic, haha.

As for any sort of waiting game with consoles, no, I don't know any of that. I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the original NES. In between, I had a PS1 and PS2, both of which I bought well over a year after release. I'm just really frustrated at this point. The Wii was supposed to revolutionize gaming and it hasn't. It was supposed to be a cheaper alternative, and now you have to shell out 80 bucks for a whole controller, another 90 if you want the balance board, and another 30 if you want the speaking thing. Yeah, games are 10 bucks cheaper, but most should be at least 20 bucks cheaper than comparable games.

• 3 weeks later...
After trying NCAA 09 on Wii last summer, I thought EA had reached an all-time low. Today, I realized I was wrong. Madden 10 is now the all-time low. It doesn't even have Dynasty mode and it looks like a PSOne game.

Little kids don't want to play Dynasty mode!!!!111!!

Yeah, I'm sick of Wii games looking like shit. The Conduit looked like ass too. People have to resort to weird stylish choices just to make the game look half decent like with No More Heroes or MadWorld. Unless you're Nintendo, obviously. Galaxy and Brawl can stand up against a lot of the PS3 and 360 games. Prime 3 looked pretty good too.

If there was no Team Ninja Metroid game or a new Zelda coming, I'd have sold mine already.

Yeah, the new Mario Galaxy also. I have a friend interested in buying one, maybe I'll give him a better deal if he promises to let me borrow it when those games come out, haha.

Holy shit, heres a sign I don't care about the Wii anymore.

Nintendo released Majora's Mask back in f*cking May for the VC and I just found out now. WTF. Gonna have to get that eventually. In fact I think the last time I used the VC was to get Mega Man 9 which will be a year ago in a couple weeks. I only remember cause I sliced my thumb open trying to get into that ridiculous packaging for the points cards. Hate that kind of stuff.

Edit: A sign no one else cares either. You go back 2 pages in this thread and takes you back an entire year. Haha

Edited by jetsniper

I'd like to care but I cant anymore. I was willing to show some patience but the lack of interesting titles so far in the life of the console basically forced me to go see what was avaible elsewhere, just like Fanpuck.

I dont I'm being too difficult by asking more than a handful of interesting games per year.

How come they're isn't more interesting 3rd party games being done for the market leader that is the Wii? That's kinda hard to understand, does those devlopers hate money?

To Fanpuck : Go get a 360 man, you won't regret it :)

How come they're isn't more interesting 3rd party games being done for the market leader that is the Wii? That's kinda hard to understand, does those devlopers hate money?

That's the fundamental problem with the Wii, too high a share of their money come from kids games and party games. They know that can make money on those two things, so they don't try hard to make serious games.

And 3rd parties are only making stupid, simple games because everyone is pirating the real games. The Wii is probably one of the easiest consoles to mod ever, don't even need a modchip so while MadWorld sells 10 copies, Carnival Party 22 sells 10 billion and developers think "Wii owners must want more Carnival Party!"

Law of thel east effort, uh.. why bother spending all the time, effort and money required to produce a huge, epic game while a hastilly made collection of mindless mini games will net you more sales and more profits

Guess that means the Wii instal bass is partly to blame if you look at it that way, eh.

Law of thel east effort, uh.. why bother spending all the time, effort and money required to produce a huge, epic game while a hastilly made collection of mindless mini games will net you more sales and more profits

Guess that means the Wii instal bass is partly to blame if you look at it that way, eh.

Yeah, for sure. The pros and cons of trying to broaden your user base. A 40 year old housewife has no idea what an actual game is and will just buy something based on the cover.

My sister at least calls me from time to time to get my opinion on what's coming up (for the DS anyway, she doesn't have a Wii yet). Speaking of the DS, it's game of the year contender is out in a week and a half. SCRIBBLENAUTS. I'd be even more excited if my phat one didn't break down in the summer. Can't really afford a new DS right now but Scribblenauts is gonna be awesome. You basically type in whatever you want and it'll materialize in the game. So if you want God on a skateboard with a shotgun fighting Cthulhu?

Well, here it is

• 1 month later...

So, I stepped on a scale earlier this week and was quite distressed to see myself up around 230. I happened to mention that I was thinking about getting Wii Fit to help myself lose some weight and found out I was already going to be getting it as a Christmas present. Went ahead and got it out today and I'm sweating like a pig now. Should definitely help me kick off some of these pounds. It can't read that my pushups suck horribly, but it's still giving me a nice workout. I've lost weight in the past, but I've always had a specific reason, and this should help with that.

• 1 month later...

Girlfriend bought herself a Wii, but she's basically only hooked on Mariokart and the wii fit. I know it's not a hardcore gaming console, but I need something worthwhile to play. I enjoyed playing lego batman a few months back, but that's about the extent of my wii game knowledge.

Help me out!

Girlfriend bought herself a Wii, but she's basically only hooked on Mariokart and the wii fit. I know it's not a hardcore gaming console, but I need something worthwhile to play. I enjoyed playing lego batman a few months back, but that's about the extent of my wii game knowledge.

Help me out!

<help>

Get a PS3.

</help>

I used to have a Wii with Mario Kart and I think it's a REALLY exciting game itself.

Don't have a Wii anymore and never tried something else than Wii sports, Mario Kart and Rock Band.

Help me out!

Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones are both solid games. Super Smash Brothers Brawl is a solid game, although it's not a great one player game and I'd say it's not a game most girlfriends would be into. Zelda Twilight Princess was a fantastic game. Super Mario Galaxy is another great one player game. There's the new Super Mario Bros. Wii, which although I haven't played, I'm sure it's a solid game, should be good both solo and multiplayer.

P.S. Nothing wrong with being hooked on MarioKart. Fantastic game with tons of replay value. I've definitely played it more than any other game.

Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones are both solid games. Super Smash Brothers Brawl is a solid game, although it's not a great one player game and I'd say it's not a game most girlfriends would be into. Zelda Twilight Princess was a fantastic game. Super Mario Galaxy is another great one player game. There's the new Super Mario Bros. Wii, which although I haven't played, I'm sure it's a solid game, should be good both solo and multiplayer.

P.S. Nothing wrong with being hooked on MarioKart. Fantastic game with tons of replay value. I've definitely played it more than any other game.

A friend suggested this game to me, but warned that playing multiplayer with my girlfriend would be like playing it on "Divorce Mode."

A friend suggested this game to me, but warned that playing multiplayer with my girlfriend would be like playing it on "Divorce Mode."

Haha, the commercials for the multiplayer mode remind me of the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers game on NES. You could pick each other up, so I'd always pick up my friends and carry them through the level and not let them do anything, haha.

Haha, the commercials for the multiplayer mode remind me of the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers game on NES. You could pick each other up, so I'd always pick up my friends and carry them through the level and not let them do anything, haha.

That's pretty much exactly it, with a healthy dose of jumping on someone to get out of the way of danger

Roger that lol.