Video Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Fanny's gonna hate me but here we go...

Super Smash Brothers Brawl is a solid game, although it's not a great one player game

Wrong.

Masahiro Sakurai (the series director) has wanted to focus on single player since the beginning. It wasn't until Brawl that Miyamoto finally gave him the go ahead to work on that. There is an incredible amount of things to do as a solo player over the previous games. The crown jewel being Subspace Emissary. Sakurai managed to bring in Kazushige Nojima to write the story for the SSE. Nojima has only written for a couple unkown quantities such as Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2. Yeah. The guy is good. Plus SSE has some of the most beautifully rendered cutscenes on the Wii that you can't miss out on. It's the first Wii game to be put on a dual-layered disc just because theres so much to do.

Gameplay is still far below Melee but Brawl is FAR more a solo experience then the first two games.

and I'd say it's not a game most girlfriends would be into.

Wrong again. Past polling has shown Super Smash Bros. to be among the most popular franchises among females around (gamers and non-gamers alike). Another top franchise amongst girls? Halo

Zelda Twilight Princess was a fantastic game.

I know you've played plenty of previous Zelda titles Triz so I wouldn't recommend TP. It's a decent game in it's own right but it doesn't measure up to past titles. Plus they managed to create a side character in the series more annoying then Navi.

There's the new Super Mario Bros. Wii, which although I haven't played, I'm sure it's a solid game, should be good both solo and multiplayer

There was basically no focus on solo gameplay at all. You can play it by yourself but it's in the mould of Four Swords Adventure. Only truly enjoyable as a multiplayer experience. Good game though.

P.S. Nothing wrong with being hooked on MarioKart. Fantastic game with tons of replay value. I've definitely played it more than any other game.

$10 for Mario Kart 64 >>>> $60 for Mario Kart Wii

Anyway, you want actual hardcore games Triz? Check these out

Okami

No More Heroes

MadWorld

Metroid Prime Trilogy (2 sucks, 1 was the best game of last gen and 3 was pretty good in it's own right. Best First person game on the Wii at any rate)

Zack and Wiki

de Blob

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Dead Space Extraction

I know you've played plenty of previous Zelda titles Triz so I wouldn't recommend TP. It's a decent game in it's own right but it doesn't measure up to past titles. Plus they managed to create a side character in the series more annoying then Navi.

$10 for Mario Kart 64 >>>> $60 for Mario Kart Wii

I think I would play Twilight Princess just because it's a Zelda game. So what that it's not as good as previous titles? They damn near achieved perfection with OoT - all they can do now is just make the games prettier.

And the girlfriend bought Mario Kart Wii, not me. I would say it's more enjoyable/frustrating than Mario Kart 64. Plus, I don't think I've finished any worse than 1st on any of the N64 levels (I own Mario Raceway), so it's good to have a new challenge.

Wrong.

Masahiro Sakurai (the series director) has wanted to focus on single player since the beginning. It wasn't until Brawl that Miyamoto finally gave him the go ahead to work on that. There is an incredible amount of things to do as a solo player over the previous games. The crown jewel being Subspace Emissary. Sakurai managed to bring in Kazushige Nojima to write the story for the SSE. Nojima has only written for a couple unkown quantities such as Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2. Yeah. The guy is good. Plus SSE has some of the most beautifully rendered cutscenes on the Wii that you can't miss out on. It's the first Wii game to be put on a dual-layered disc just because theres so much to do.

Gameplay is still far below Melee but Brawl is FAR more a solo experience then the first two games.

Yeah, the solo player was obviously much better than any other Smash Game, I just didn't think the solo play alone makes the game worth buying. I'd rent it for the solo player, and buy it for the continued fun of multiplayer.

What the hell, he made two posts (HWL GMs, refer to what I just posted there to know what I'm talking about. Got pranked, yo)

I don't even disagree with anything he said, although Mario Kart 64 licks Mario Kart DS's ass. Also Dead Space Extraction sucks. I hate rail shooters.

Not sure how he knew you liked Zelda though Triz, haha. TP is definitely worth playing. I didn't think Midna was annoying either, Navi still takes the cake. Midna actually becomes likeable about halfway through the game. It's not the best Zelda game but I think it was still my GOTY for 2006.

Ok, talking to my buddy on MSN. He thought that would make me sound like a dick. It just sounds like a typical post from me though. :lol:

BTW Fanny, how often have you been using Wii Fit? Seen any improvements with it? I've always wondered if it actually worked but can never get a concrete answer from people. My sister wants it so I'm tossing around the idea of getting her a Wii and Wii Fit for her birthday in March.

Edited by jetsniper

BTW Fanny, how often have you been using Wii Fit? Seen any improvements with it? I've always wondered if it actually worked but can never get a concrete answer from people. My sister wants it so I'm tossing around the idea of getting her a Wii and Wii Fit for her birthday in March.

Haven't been doing it much since the Christmas tree went up, due to lack of room. Also, the lights on the tree seem to have some effect on the Wii remote that makes it difficult to register correctly. Before the tree went up, I was down about 20 pounds in 2 months. I would have guessed that doing a better job controlling the amount of food I eat did most of that, but I seem to be wrong. Just went and weighed myself and I've put back on a couple pounds, so keeping up with the Wii Fit was obviously helping a lot. Of course, the two biggest calorie burners (running in place and free stepping) are both things that don't require a Wii at all. I do like a lot of the mini games on the Plus version of the game, though.

Haven't been doing it much since the Christmas tree went up, due to lack of room. Also, the lights on the tree seem to have some effect on the Wii remote that makes it difficult to register correctly. Before the tree went up, I was down about 20 pounds in 2 months. I would have guessed that doing a better job controlling the amount of food I eat did most of that, but I seem to be wrong. Just went and weighed myself and I've put back on a couple pounds, so keeping up with the Wii Fit was obviously helping a lot. Of course, the two biggest calorie burners (running in place and free stepping) are both things that don't require a Wii at all. I do like a lot of the mini games on the Plus version of the game, though.

Oh, thanks. Sounds like it actually does do something. She really wants the Jillian Michaels excerise thing for the Wii too but no one bothered to review it so I have no idea if it works or if it's just a gimmicky piece of crap.

I should mention I got New Super Mario Bros. for Christmas. Even as a one-player game, it was crazy fun. It takes the best parts of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, then adds it's own elements and combines though. I thought it would be average but it was actually my Wii GOTY.

Holy shit!

Latest Zelda game on Wii was announced to come out in late October of THIS YEAR today. Woohoo!

:clap:

Wii is gonna have a good 2010 with the latest Zelda, No More Heroes 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M already on the slate. Hopefully Red Steel 2 is improved and Pikmin 3 gets a 2010 release date. Will be the Wii's busiest year since 2007.

The future of interactive gaming and about a billion other things

Natal kind of belongs in the 360 thread.

And thats really just a remixed video of what they showed at E3 back in June. The potential is there but in reality, I see Natal being really limited. You're not gonna see anything big like Gears of War or Halo for Natal. In fact, developers of both games have already confirmed they won't bother with it (well to be precise, Bungie said they won't use it until it makes sense).

The technology will be useful in other areas of life but right now I don't see it doing a lot for gaming. I see it more for the crowd that the Wii has brought into gaming instead of replacing traditional gaming.

Natal kind of belongs in the 360 thread.

And thats really just a remixed video of what they showed at E3 back in June. The potential is there but in reality, I see Natal being really limited. You're not gonna see anything big like Gears of War or Halo for Natal. In fact, developers of both games have already confirmed they won't bother with it (well to be precise, Bungie said they won't use it until it makes sense).

The technology will be useful in other areas of life but right now I don't see it doing a lot for gaming. I see it more for the crowd that the Wii has brought into gaming instead of replacing traditional gaming.

My thoughts exactly. As cool and revolutionary as it looks, it just won't be practical for real gaming. The Wii has been out for how long now and we still haven't seen a 1-to-1 lightsabre simulation yet. It will be the same with this new stuff.

My thoughts exactly. As cool and revolutionary as it looks, it just won't be practical for real gaming. The Wii has been out for how long now and we still haven't seen a 1-to-1 lightsabre simulation yet. It will be the same with this new stuff.

Well that kind of thing could be done on Natal, sword fighting (or lightsabre battles) but that would really have to be the whole game. You're not gonna see The Force Unleashed or anything like that. I have been keeping the Wii in mind as well, no one has really done anything amazing with it yet. Theres not a game on the Wii that could ONLY be made for the Wii. Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Brawl. They could all easily be 360 games and still be equally good.

Well that kind of thing could be done on Natal, sword fighting (or lightsabre battles) but that would really have to be the whole game. You're not gonna see The Force Unleashed or anything like that. I have been keeping the Wii in mind as well, no one has really done anything amazing with it yet. Theres not a game on the Wii that could ONLY be made for the Wii. Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Brawl. They could all easily be 360 games and still be equally good.

If you remove the Wii controller from the mix there is a lot more flexibility to do things that other systems can't do...including fight simulation games, more active games that don't require other external hardware, potential to "fight"(in whatever manner) other players on-line through real movements, etc...it's fair to say that "traditional" gaming may not be at the forefront of these types of systems but it is still "gaming".

I posted this in the Wii thread because of the type of interactive similarity and to see if anyone thinks this could ruin the Wii...

I think there are a tremendous amount of opportunity for both systems, though more so for Natal. Now that LG is launching their 3D t.v., and there's some new tech that takes 2D images and converts them to 3D, it's becoming more apparent that gaming could now start moving more into what will look like a virtual world (ie. you could be "in the game").

Of course this type of tech could lead to all sorts of other applications in every day life outside of gaming. It's incredible to think where we'll be in another 25 years...consider that just 25 years ago hardly anyone even had PC's or the internet at home...hell in 1984 it was Atari and Commodore.

I never said it wasn't gaming but Natal sure isn't going to change anything when it comes to gaming. Do you know how quickly people would get bored of simplified ideas like that? Plus despite the boom of online gaming in recent years, it's still not that popular. Most gamers still want the traditional controller. Hence why the Wii has little to no popularity amongst the hardcore crowd.

And why would this ruin the Wii? The 360 isn't going to make some astronomical jump past the Wii just because of Natal. You'd have to shell out the 100 dollars for Natal, 300 for the 360, 60 for the Xbox Live and then another 60 for whatever game you wanted to buy. You can buy two Wiis for that price. Plus the Wii has sold close to twice as many consoles as the 360 already.

Natal won't make a dent in the Wii. It's pretty much strictly concerning the Xbox crowd right now. You'd be better off bringing up the PS3 adding this kind of functionality to the Playstation Eye, bringing it's own motion controller and adding compatibility to 3D TV if you want to talk about the future of gaming.

• 2 weeks later...
Ugh, level 9-7 on the new Mario game is driving me insane. I can't for the life of me get the 3rd star coin and survive.

Yeh, I've all but given up on getting it with one player. It's easy with 2 players, but that level was spawned directly in Hell.

Edited by lazy26

Finally got level 9-7 completed last night and proceeded to beat 9-1 through 9-6 in about the same amount of time it took me to do 9-7 by itself. Now to decide if I want to keep it or Goozex it. I never got a chance to play it with other people, but it doesn't seem like it would add anything. I figured there would be certain things you could only do in multiplayer, but that wasn't the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally unrelated but The Conduit was shite. I don't know if I ever posted what I thought of it. Have never thought much of the MOH series either but they're atleast playable.

Was just reading IGN's Wii 2010 preview. Looks to be the best year for the Wii since 2007. Potentially the best year for the Wii period. Although Nintendo is going back on their 2010 Zelda release date.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the curling in Deca Sports (like most of the game) was terrible. There's curling in Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics, but it's not full curling. Seems like there would be a big enough market in Canada and Europe for someone to make a WiiWare curling game.

Nintendo had its media summit yesterday and gave out a LOT of release dates. A lot of great stuff coming at Wii owners in the next few months.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - May 23rd

Sin and Punishment 2 - June 7th

Super Meat Boy - They said this summer. Although it was announced it'll be on XBLA before the Wii, it was originally supposed to be Wii exclusive. Sucks for Nintendo fans but thats Microsoft throwing it's money around.

Cave Story - March 22nd

Mega Man 10 - March 1st (I think that was announced before though)

Monster Hunter Tri - April 20th. Will also come packaged with the Classic Controller Pro which has already been out in Japan for some time. It's pretty f*ckin sweet, it's like a hybrid between the 360 controller and the DualShock.

Metroid: Other M - June 27th