How to get second line help & say goodbye to Niinimaa

kw11habs

:hlogo: Now that all our D are healthy again it's time to dump Ninnamaa, I didn't mind getting rid of Ribiero but we should of gotten a better return. Looking at teams that need help on D Vancouver is at the top of the list ship him to Vancouver for Alexander Burrows. Then to help out our second line & get Kovalev back to wing where he belongs we make a blockbuster with Gretzky a guy who needs to do something to wake his team up and try to salvage his job. Send Samsonov, Perezhogin, Plecanek, Abesicher, Downey & Murray total of 7.7 mil in salary to Phoenix for L. Nagy, M. Comrie & G. Laraque total of 7.1 mil in salary. Between the to moves we save over 2 million in salary and end up looking like this. Huet, Danis D- Souray-Rivet, Komi-Markov, Boullion-Dandenault & Streit. Up front we look like this Koivu-Higgins-Ryder, Comrie-Nagy-Kovalev, Bonk-Johnson-Latendresse, Begin-Borrows-Laraque. If I was only sitting in Bob's chair.

:hlogo: Now that all our D are healthy again it's time to dump Ninnamaa, I didn't mind getting rid of Ribiero but we should of gotten a better return. Looking at teams that need help on D Vancouver is at the top of the list ship him to Vancouver for Alexander Burrows. Then to help out our second line & get Kovalev back to wing where he belongs we make a blockbuster with Gretzky a guy who needs to do something to wake his team up and try to salvage his job. Send Samsonov, Perezhogin, Plecanek, Abesicher, Downey & Murray total of 7.7 mil in salary to Phoenix for L. Nagy, M. Comrie & G. Laraque total of 7.1 mil in salary. Between the to moves we save over 2 million in salary and end up looking like this. Huet, Danis D- Souray-Rivet, Komi-Markov, Boullion-Dandenault & Streit. Up front we look like this Koivu-Higgins-Ryder, Comrie-Nagy-Kovalev, Bonk-Johnson-Latendresse, Begin-Borrows-Laraque. If I was only sitting in Bob's chair.

:wacko: yeah, like that's gonna happen :?-

Edited by beliveau1

Could we electrify that chair?

Even on the fourth line, Laraque's best NHL days are behind him and he doesn't do enough elsewhere. Mike Comrie hasn't done jack since he left Edmonton, so basically you're making a three-for-one trade with a bunch of throw-ins. Even if it is trading the guys out west, Plekanec and Perezhogin still have way too much upside and the other guys coming back don't.

I think there's still a couple of internal moves that could be made that can have an impact on the second line. The first would be to move Bonk up to center the second line, move Kovy back to the wing and move Plekanec to the third line center. I'd keep Murray mainly because he's an under-rated penalty killer, and would allow Carbonneau to have three pairs of forwards on any given night.

The second move would be to move Ryder down to the second line with Kovalev and Samsonov when Higgins returns. Kovy and Samsonov are both playmakers who have no one to set up. Higgins and Ryder are both finishers. While guys are chasing Kovy and Samsonov around for the puck, Ryder can jump into the open spots and gets the puck off his stick as fast as anyone on the team.

Then we trade Ryder and our first round pick to Washington for Ovechkin. Don't worry, I tried it on NHL06 earlier, it works perfectly!

AAARAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the return of Reggie Houle to the Gm's office (the only thing that might make me an ex-habs fan, I don't think I could take that again). A 5 for 3 with us getting the occasionally useful Comrie and the almost completely useless GL and giving uo 2 excellent young players with tons of upside????? Please, that's not even a good joke, let alone a trade.

Latendresse Koivu Kovalev

Samsonov Higgins Ryder

Simple Solution to the top 2 lines

kovalev doesn't deserve to play on the 1st line

the second line could be ok but for now, higgins is injured and he's not coming back anytime soon so we need a solution right now.

If I were habs coach)wich I'll never be)

I'd give more ice time to the 1st-3rd line on 5 on 5 and give quality PP minutes to kovalev. as for samsonov, he needs to beat ryder for PP time.

Why not trade the whole team for Buffalos? They seem to do even better than us :D

Only if you swap coaches. Lindy Ruff is the real genious there.

No doubt a trade will eventually happen if Montreal can get all their defensman healthy. 8 healthy defensman would be a luxary, but quite honestly Montreal could use help in other areas. Come the trade deadline I would seriously hope Gainey looks at dealing Souray (he won't resign in Montreal next year) and maybe another forward(s)(Salary Cap) or Aebischer (salary cap) for a true 2nd line centre. Plekanec just isn't going to cut it

Only if you swap coaches. Lindy Ruff is the real genious there.

No doubt a trade will eventually happen if Montreal can get all their defensman healthy. 8 healthy defensman would be a luxary, but quite honestly Montreal could use help in other areas. Come the trade deadline I would seriously hope Gainey looks at dealing Souray (he won't resign in Montreal next year) and maybe another forward(s)(Salary Cap) or Aebischer (salary cap) for a true 2nd line centre. Plekanec just isn't going to cut it

I don't want to lose Souray at the deadline, even IF he leaves next year (but I see no reason why he wouldn't resign with the team he's had the bulk of his NHL success). To be honest, there's not many on the team I'd like to get rid of...save Abby, something about him just bugs me, he reminds me of Theodore...he just lets in the soft goals.

I think gettin grid of Ninny for a draftpick would help be able to sign Markov and Souray next year, abby too. Trading them for picks saves us like what 4.5 million?

I don't want to lose Souray at the deadline, even IF he leaves next year (but I see no reason why he wouldn't resign with the team he's had the bulk of his NHL success). To be honest, there's not many on the team I'd like to get rid of...save Abby, something about him just bugs me, he reminds me of Theodore...he just lets in the soft goals.

I think gettin grid of Ninny for a draftpick would help be able to sign Markov and Souray next year, abby too. Trading them for picks saves us like what 4.5 million?

Especialy as of late Aebi as played a la theo..but the guy had a better start then Huet...thats why both arent steady #1 goalies...expect to see Huet loose the hot hand and Aebi to get back into his game...

niinimaa and aebischer have expiring contracts. Now trading them for X is better than losing them for nothing, prolly, but the niinimaa and aebi salaries are set to be off the books at the end of the season regardless.

Unless we're a Cup contending team, what's the point of keeping Souray around? It's well known that he wants to go West (young man) so why not, now that we have eight defenders, package him up and move him in a deal for that second line centre the team needs. We're not going to get rid of Niinimaa through trade; better to keep him here and let him try and improve his stock for some potential at the deadline, perhaps.

Now that our eight defenders are healthy, I'm willing to put money on Gainey exploring the idea of moving Souray. He won't want to have $2.5M (Niinimaa) sitting in the box all year, nor will he want that money on the farm.

Only one point...Laraque is far from washed up. He has 6 points in the past week. He is not the one dimensional fighter that nobody wants.

And, Don Cherry was roasting MacT versus Carolina in the final saying, "Get The Rock on the top line to mow down the Canes and shield Cam Ward."

Not that I consider everything Cherry says as gospel but I had to agree on this one.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Where's it say we're not a cup contending team though? Every team that makes the playoff is contender.

I think you wont get much for him in a trade, since he does want to move out west.

I wanna keep him around cause he's a great player, and we aren't the highest scoring team in the league. He leads our team in goals for poops sake.

I see no upside to trading him, is letting him go and us getting to the 1st round in the playoffs, better than getting to the 2nd or 3rd round, if we end up getting a 2nd round pick in the draft?

I've just never been a fan of trading players at the deadline cause you think they wont resign, opinions vary I guess.

Unless we're a Cup contending team, what's the point of keeping Souray around? It's well known that he wants to go West

Is it well known because it's speculated to be so on Habsworld, or because his kid is out west? He's never said it.

And, you're implying that there is a point in keeping Souray if we're a Cup contending team, but not if we're not. What if we hope to be a Cup contending team - is that close enough? What's the rationale for this?

You probably really don't understand the economic realties of todays NHL. There just isn't money under the cap to keep Souray with the $4.5 to $5 Million he'll command. He's equivalent to Pavel Kubina and Bryan McCabe and thats what they are getting. And GM's around the league arn't about to start tighting purse strings if you think they've overspent in the past.

The fact is right now Montreal is just a hair (maybe $2 Million under the salary cap) with Markov, Aebischer, Higgins, Souray, Bonk, Johnson, Ryder, Rivet, Plekanec, Perezhogin and some of the farm kids due raises next year. Since league wide attendance is down, about 4 to 5% there is no way the salary cap is going to go up $5 Million like it did last year. So there is just no room for Souray unless other guys are sent packing.

Is it well known because it's speculated to be so on Habsworld, or because his kid is out west? He's never said it.

And, you're implying that there is a point in keeping Souray if we're a Cup contending team, but not if we're not. What if we hope to be a Cup contending team - is that close enough? What's the rationale for this?

The simple truth is, unless Gainey dumps him soon (which he won't), he's likely here for the long haul. Teams that are in the hunt do not dump assets at the trading deadline (and teams that are out of the hunt don't dump assets for FAs). He's been a rock on the power play, and is quite simply too valuable to give up on right now (absent a truly stellar trade, which quite frankly you're not likely to get given that he still will be a FA at the end of the year).