How to get second line help & say goodbye to Niinimaa

kw11habs

You probably really don't understand the economic realties of todays NHL. There just isn't money under the cap to keep Souray with the $4.5 to $5 Million he'll command. He's equivalent to Pavel Kubina and Bryan McCabe and thats what they are getting. And GM's around the league arn't about to start tighting purse strings if you think they've overspent in the past.

The fact is right now Montreal is just a hair (maybe $2 Million under the salary cap) with Markov, Aebischer, Higgins, Souray, Bonk, Johnson, Ryder, Rivet, Plekanec, Perezhogin and some of the farm kids due raises next year. Since league wide attendance is down, about 4 to 5% there is no way the salary cap is going to go up $5 Million like it did last year. So there is just no room for Souray unless other guys are sent packing.

But the thing is, are any teams going to have a whole lot of cap space left to sign Souray for $5 million? Either this year or next, free agents are going to be signing for a lot less simply because no one will have the cap space to sign them.

:hlogo: Now that all our D are healthy again it's time to dump Ninnamaa, I didn't mind getting rid of Ribiero but we should of gotten a better return. Looking at teams that need help on D Vancouver is at the top of the list ship him to Vancouver for Alexander Burrows. Then to help out our second line & get Kovalev back to wing where he belongs we make a blockbuster with Gretzky a guy who needs to do something to wake his team up and try to salvage his job. Send Samsonov, Perezhogin, Plecanek, Abesicher, Downey & Murray total of 7.7 mil in salary to Phoenix for L. Nagy, M. Comrie & G. Laraque total of 7.1 mil in salary. Between the to moves we save over 2 million in salary and end up looking like this. Huet, Danis D- Souray-Rivet, Komi-Markov, Boullion-Dandenault & Streit. Up front we look like this Koivu-Higgins-Ryder, Comrie-Nagy-Kovalev, Bonk-Johnson-Latendresse, Begin-Borrows-Laraque. If I was only sitting in Bob's chair.

I loved that line. :lol:

Man, you should get paid to write up these trade thougts. Keep it up! :P

But the thing is, are any teams going to have a whole lot of cap space left to sign Souray for $5 million? Either this year or next, free agents are going to be signing for a lot less simply because no one will have the cap space to sign them.

You could be right... but, all it takes is one team with the cap space to drive up the asking price, and I'm sure there will be one out there. There aren't a lot of defensemen like Souray, with the showy offensive stats.

However, with some creativeness, and yes, perhaps some tough decisions on guys like Niinimaa (OK, maybe not so tough), Bonk, and Abby, Bob could find a way. If Bob wants him to stay, and Shelly's willing to listen, he'll be back.

:hlogo: Now that all our D are healthy again it's time to dump Ninnamaa, I didn't mind getting rid of Ribiero but we should of gotten a better return. Looking at teams that need help on D Vancouver is at the top of the list ship him to Vancouver for Alexander Burrows. Then to help out our second line & get Kovalev back to wing where he belongs we make a blockbuster with Gretzky a guy who needs to do something to wake his team up and try to salvage his job. Send Samsonov, Perezhogin, Plecanek, Abesicher, Downey & Murray total of 7.7 mil in salary to Phoenix for L. Nagy, M. Comrie & G. Laraque total of 7.1 mil in salary. Between the to moves we save over 2 million in salary and end up looking like this. Huet, Danis D- Souray-Rivet, Komi-Markov, Boullion-Dandenault & Streit. Up front we look like this Koivu-Higgins-Ryder, Comrie-Nagy-Kovalev, Bonk-Johnson-Latendresse, Begin-Borrows-Laraque. If I was only sitting in Bob's chair.

I think that the second line situation will be dealt with within the system. I don't expect Gainey to go out & get someone. The cost may be too great for his concerns.

As to Niinimaa, I don't expect him to be with the Canadiens after the end of this season. Sadly, for his sake, he's here as a bandage player.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Man I love making up some of these trades to listen to some of your guys replies. Most of you don't know Jackshit. Saying Laraque is washed up and Comrie is no better then Plecanek, you all have one thing going for you, you hopefully are all true red, white & blue even if most of you don't know jackshit.

Man I love making up some of these trades to listen to some of your guys replies. Most of you don't know Jackshit. Saying Laraque is washed up and Comrie is no better then Plecanek, you all have one thing going for you, you hopefully are all true red, white & blue even if most of you don't know jackshit.

First off, Laraque has vowed never to play for the Canadiens and then he suddenly changes his view in the summer. What's that all about? That already sends a negative vibe to the locker room. Laraque is a goon. Plain and simple. Doesn't mean he's on fire this season that he'll keep playing at this pace. I'd rather see Downey on the fourth line because while he and Laraque serve the same purpose, he doesn't freakin' get paid 1.1M like Laraque! He's a fourth liner for crying out loud.

As for Mike Comrie, this should about sum it up. Bob Gainey refused a trade offer from Phoenix that would send ZEDNIK to Phoenix for MIKE COMRIE. A plain swap and Gainey refused it and here you are wanting to send Perezhogin, Plekanec, Samsonov and Aebischer for Comrie and Nagy. I don't even need to keep elaborating any longer on this one.

My son lived in Edmonton when Comrie played there. He told me that word was that Comrie is a spoiled kid coming from a rich family who does what he wants to do. He's very talented but not a team player.

Word was also that he even slept around with one of his fellow player's wife. What's with that? That really helps to build team unity.

Montreal doesn't need that kind of attitude.

GO :hlogo: GO!

It's so kind of you to come here and finally clue all of us poor idiots that we are full of @#$&! - we are now just that much better off thanks to your great depth of wisdom! :puke: :puke: :puke:

Next time you think about posting trade ideas maybe you might want to talk in more realistic terms - not some fantasy riddled, ill-conceived, hair-brained scheme to gut a whole team in order to get rid of one player. (Who by the way is a one year contract fill-in in order to allow the young prospects in the AHL a year longer to mature into starting defenceman.)

You want to debate, fine? If that's the case then I'd suggest you show some class... otherwise you're just an ass!

Edited by beliveau1

Next time you think about posting trade ideas maybe you might want to talk in more realistic terms - not some fantasy riddled, ill-conceived, hair-brained scheme to gut a whole team in order to get rid of one player. (Who by the way is a one year contract fill-in in order to allow the young prospects in the AHL a year longer to mature into starting defenceman.)

You want to debate, fine? If that's the case then I'd suggest you show some class...

Perfectly worded... Thank you Beliveau1

I would make a big trade for Lecavalier right now.

I wouldn't. His trade value is as high as ever now that he's finally playing above a point per game.

Next time you think about posting trade ideas maybe you might want to talk in more realistic terms - not some fantasy riddled, ill-conceived, hair-brained scheme to gut a whole team in order to get rid of one player.

I had an idea once. Then I lay down until I felt better.