NHL will go forward with new jerseys.

MK19

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a reply on that newsday.com article:

As a Habs fan, for whom tradition is part of the fabric of the team, this idea of new jerseys is a nightmare. It's the same as MLB saying the Yankees classic pinstripes will be changed for some futuristic plain design.

If the NHL ever goes that far, Reebok products will most likely be boycotted all over the province of Quebec. In a place where hockey is religion, they call the Habs jersey "La Ste-Flanelle" because its second only the Shroud of Turin in the holiness hierarchy. You dont mess with that!

I posted a reply on that newsday.com article:

As a Habs fan, for whom tradition is part of the fabric of the team, this idea of new jerseys is a nightmare. It's the same as MLB saying the Yankees classic pinstripes will be changed for some futuristic plain design.

If the NHL ever goes that far, Reebok products will most likely be boycotted all over the province of Quebec. In a place where hockey is religion, they call the Habs jersey "La Ste-Flanelle" because its second only the Shroud of Turin in the holiness hierarchy. You dont mess with that!

well said my friend...i for one will boycott reebok

If they just make current uniform designs into the new style (i.e. same thing except for the material and size) then I'd have no problem. Now, if they change designs, that's another story. I still think it's all BS. Stuff at the team level is up to the owner and management, not the league.

Same here. But if it is in fact true, I myself am not in any part of agreeance with these new jerseys.

People attending games should all wear old jersey's. And people should start a boycott against the new Jersey's. I think they will be back very soon then. If it doesnt sell its no succes.

question: if I campaign aggressively against a powerful multinational corporation, does that make me a terrorist?

(yet?)

depends if that said corporation has friends running the country/province/state then I would say yes

Personally I don't have an issue with the new jerseys, and short of 'Shortcat1'(pun intended) and 'johnnyhasbeen' I've been a die hard fan longer than most of you?

My only beef is with the white jersey - they need to retain the diagonal mid stripes as they did in the red's!

Change is nothing new - this jersey has undergone a few since the inception of the organization. What is sacred is the logo that has come to be known as the face of greatest and without a doubt the classiest organization in professional sports.

A few changes to the side and shoulder bars aren't a sacrilege as far as I'm concerned.

But losing the mid sweater bar on the white jersey is not what I'd like to see?

The rest are just cosmetic as far as I'm concerned!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

p.s. it's all about marketing - the more :hlogo: jerseys sold the greater the cut back into the organization itself?

Edited by beliveau1

For once it's an old fart that doesn't mind change - a classic role reversal if ever?

You might as well get used to it gentleman - 'the time's they are a changin'...' as Bob Dylan said.

And you better get used to the idea of a bigger net too - 'cause I'm not going to be surprized if that one finds its' way onto the books sooner or later! B)

here ya gohabs jersey

the proposed Canadiens jersey bites big time!

GO :hlogo: GO!

The way it looks to me, basically every uniform will have the same construction and design, with only slight obvious variations. It's supposed to be cheaper, oops, I mean it's supposed to reduce costs.

What bothers me about the new jersey is that it's modeled after the NFL, who wear very tight jerseys. Well the object in football is to tackle the ball carrier, so it makes sense to give the opposition less to grab on to. There's no tackling in hockey (supposedly), so why the need for a tighter jersey? There's a lot of movement necessary in shooting, and especially for goalies, so how is that going to be affected. They didn't go over to well at the Olympics in Torino. Maybe they'll go the way of the Cooperalls: an amusing footnote in the annals of hockey's history.

The bigger/loose jerseys are tradition mahn!

Gah... I actually don't hate the new ones, but I guess this is the "New" NHL so tradition is being thrown out th window a bit.

Just a guess, but I suppose the looser jerseys were made way back when hockey starter as "sweaters" because players were playing out-doors and needed the jerseys to be warm... heh. No need for that in arenas that are artificially cooled.

It looks like a f*cking practice jersey.

Thats excatctly what i thought, I hate these. I always have liked the look of hockey jerseys. These are to futuristic for my liking.

• 1 month later...

Exactly, and where's the bar at the bottom of the jersey?? I think all original 6 teams have the 2 lines (horizontal ones) at the bottom of the jerseys. That's total tradition killing guys, we shouldn't even consider having these new jerseys approved. Im with you all on the fight against RBK lol. I sound like a total terrorist. Which im not :P