How can we keep Souray?

To say he's going to command $5 million is purely conjectural. The financial landscape has changed. Only the ridiculously highly talented can hope to ask for that kind of salary (I hope, anyway). Also, the league's cap may even rise again for next year.

So, there should be place for him.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Hopefully you're right - but then we have to remember, unfortunately, what guy's like McCabe received?????

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY don't want to lose Souray or Markov, but I think realistically, we'll keep Markov and Rivet and let Souray go. I am NOT happy about this at all: Souray's shot is amazing, his attitude is great, he's got to be a bonus in the dressing room, and I know he's not the best defensively, but he's not nearly as awful as half the posters here would have you believe.

Colin - David Legwand is overrated. Honestly, I don't think what the Predators were thinking when he was drafted 2nd overall. That must have been one lean draft year. He's shown no progress whatsoever and always seems to hover around 40pts a year, regardless of how much he plays.

Do you think Souray straight up for Visnovsky would be reasonable then? Did I overrate him when I added Ryder or a prospect?

Visnovsky will never replace Souray's toughness and leadership...but he can cover the points on the powerplay, he is way more mobile than Souray, and he, I think, is signed for another year at just under 2 million.

Why would the Kings want Souray ??? :?- ... they're not going to make the playoffs so why would they trade Visnovsky for someone who's an UFA after the season ?? I'm sure they'd want a few picks thrown in there as well

People said the same thing about Guy Lafleur in his first couple of season.

And no, I'm not equating the two, just making a point.

I don't see what makes him better than the #1 pick from that draft, Patrik Stefan. Neither have proven much in the NHL aside from that they can be everyday players.

The more I think about it, the more I think Souray's not going anywhere.

The teams that would be interested in him would be teams that the Canadiens would be in competition with for playoff ground.

Obviously the West (i.e. San Jose) would be the preferred option, but it limits the asking price if they consider offers only from those clubs. The team would need genuine assets (roster players), not future what-ifs to close that deal and no playoff-bound club is looking to give up roster players.

Edited by smon

If this scoring habit of Komisarek will continue then the Habs could spare Souray.

I think it's great that Komi are going.

LOL just because Komi scored 2 fluky goals and one goal into the open net doesnt mean he's gonna keep scoring.

Souray absolutely needs to be resigned. Leads the team in goals, tied for the team lead in points and a ton of leadership to boot.

Keep him at all costs! Move Rivet/Niinimaa and that frees up 5 million right there. Move Abi...I DONT CARE what you do but we gotta keep this guy!

Do a New Jersey. Cheat the cap and sign what we need.

Seriously as some others have posted. We CANT lose Souray without a good replacement. Someone bring his ex-wife to Quebec or something for modelling and that way bring his Daughter closer so he WANTS to stay.

You can argue that with Komisarek having fully blossomed, we no longer need Rivet as much. I hate to lose the guy, he bleeds Habs red, but business is business. Let him go, dump Ninimaa, sign Souray and Markov, and take your chances.

Note that signing our FAs means that the Habs will have no room to add players in the off-season. This team is the one we're likely to have over the next 2-3 years, IF we sign everyone. But you know what? I can handle that. The nucleus is here, and our young guns should only improve.

I don't see what makes him better than the #1 pick from that draft, Patrik Stefan.

Patrik Stefan was chosen in a different draft (Stefan, Sedin, Sedin, Brendl...). Legwand was chosen #2 after Vincent Lecavalier in what I think was the year before.

The guys on HockeyCentral (Sportsnet) beilieve Souray will get around 5-6 million with free agency. Also, they said the market for a UFA like Souray at the deadline is awful. Apparently the only offer the Maple Leafs got for McCabe last year was depth guy Skoula.

As much as i'd want Souray on my team.. the financial aspects says we cant afford him anymore. So our Best plan of action is signing Souray to a long term contract be4 free agency [june ish] n then trade him be4 training camp for a 1st line center. Trading him now without a contract extension is stupid n i dont see any team out there willing to give up a core player for an UFA who will most likely sign with a West coast team.

The guys on HockeyCentral (Sportsnet) beilieve Souray will get around 5-6 million with free agency. Also, they said the market for a UFA like Souray at the deadline is awful. Apparently the only offer the Maple Leafs got for McCabe last year was depth guy Skoula.

That makes sense, and the Canadiens are going to be in the same boat. They'll only get offers of picks, getting back worthy roster players is sort of out of the question.

gosh RDS is talking like Souray is already going to get traded ... look @ source here: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/218081.html

Even himself mention it's about business ... he knows he got a value in him... it's going to be bye bye to Souray & Abby and oh well screw Ninimaaaa didn't do much for the habs anyway!

Edited by Habstown

It's the logical thing to do. Souray will be too expensive and, despite his offensive production, there's enough question in his defense than moving him while the getting is good is probably the best idea for the Habs.

Without a doubt moving Souray is the right thing to do. Why wait and lose him to UFA next year when you can move him now and get something back that will help the team. MOntreal won't have the freedom under the cap to dabble at this years trade deadline, so moving now or soon with a trade, while Souray's at peak value is smart. Teams are always looking for defensman. Especially right now while the PP is so important.

Souray has said that he doesn't know if I will resign with Montreal.

I was under the impression since Souray split with his wife that he was not going to re-sign, if that is the case he has to go. We just can't afford to let him walk away a UFA. I would also guess that he has to go before or around the trade deadline, because if they wait until the end of the season, his stock will plummet because other teams will know that Gainey can't sign him and is desperate, they would just wait it out and go at it through a bidding war.

The bottom line is if they can't re-negotiate in the next couple of months he will be traded. There is just no way around it.

It all depends on who gets offered up at the trade deadline. I think most of us expect Montreal to be playoff-bound, and we don't want to hinder our chances by dealing Souray unless we get an attractive return. Any team dealing to GET Souray will not want to give up too much, because obviously they would be a playoff-bound team as well (otherwise, why get an impending UFA), and because of the very fact that he is an impending UFA (less valuable). I can't believe any such team will give us a top line centre in these circumstances (which corresponds with Mr. Nasty's testimony re: Skoula-McCabe). I'm not sure Montreal wants another prospect at this stage.

We might be best off by keeping him with us for a playoff run, and we'll see what happens in the off-season. Perhaps it's better to lose him for nothing (and gain that entire cap space to sign a more economical UFA) than to have someone unsuitable taking up cap space in the years ahead. Of course, there's always the chance that Bob could find a way to keep Souray in the meantime (e.g. if Markov is determined to test the market, it would be a big blow if we had already given away Souray, and then were outbid for Markov).

If we are a top team at the deadline going into the playoffs, Souray will NOT be traded! He plays a big role in our team and could cripple us by leaving. If we have a legitimate chance for the cup, he wont go anywhere, but if were seeded 6-7-8th and were not looking like a strong team, i believe he will be unloaded very easily. He will fetch a great deal if he keeps up his pace. He's not a blake, but he's upper echleon and will gain a high pick or prospect in return.

If we are a top team at the deadline going into the playoffs, Souray will NOT be traded! He plays a big role in our team and could cripple us by leaving. If we have a legitimate chance for the cup, he wont go anywhere, but if were seeded 6-7-8th and were not looking like a strong team, i believe he will be unloaded very easily. He will fetch a great deal if he keeps up his pace. He's not a blake, but he's upper echleon and will gain a high pick or prospect in return.

The problem is that it won't be cut and dried. Look at the Habs right now; if the playoffs were to start tomorrow, I'd say that they have a viable shot at making the finals, but that they're a dark horse, not a front-line contender. And that's how I expect it to remain, basically. So if we deal Souray we might lose our chance at being a dark horse; but if we keep him, well, we'll still NOT be odds-on favourites to beat teams like Buffalo or Jersey. That's the trouble. I don't envy Bob on this one. But at the end of the day, I say keep Souray to the end, and then if you can't resign him, well, you've got the cap space to do something else.

The problem is that it won't be cut and dried. Look at the Habs right now; if the playoffs were to start tomorrow, I'd say that they have a viable shot at making the finals, but that they're a dark horse, not a front-line contender. And that's how I expect it to remain, basically. So if we deal Souray we might lose our chance at being a dark horse; but if we keep him, well, we'll still NOT be odds-on favourites to beat teams like Buffalo or Jersey. That's the trouble. I don't envy Bob on this one. But at the end of the day, I say keep Souray to the end, and then if you can't resign him, well, you've got the cap space to do something else.

All hope that cold December and January don't come. That might change the perspective on the trade, if there is one.

I plead to the Hockey Gods, may Go Habs Go :hockey: :hlogo:

I wish we could keep Souray :(

For some reason, I believe he will stay, against all odds.

Jacques Demers, though he says that he wouldn't even suggest to know what Gainey will do, believes that Souray, Markov & Rivet will ALL be resigned.

GO :hlogo: GO!