Legalizing Mary Jane

CoRvInA

You wanna pass the dutchie?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against it

• YEahh Dude...
    • No way Hippie!

I'm not a pot head but I think its stupid that its not legal. Do we ban alcohol? No look what that did. It just doesn't make any logical sense to have it illegal.

I dont know if the analogy to alcohol is proper. At the time of prohibition Alcohol was an accepted and popular part of western culture. There was a legitimate alcohol infrastructure and a populace that was used to its availability. Alcohol use was legitmized to a great degree through its use as a religious article in communion and jewish sabbatical benediction (the dissonant effect of this connection was only enhanced by prohibition's exception for religious uses).

In the case of marijuana, although pot is popular and a cultural icon, it is nowhere near as integrated in western society as alcohol. There is not a overarching legal capital infrastructure surrounding it, as there is for alcohol.

If alcohol were discovered today, it would most certainly be illegal, but familiarity breeds acceptance and our society has chosen to have one drug - alcohol. Why ought we have another?

That being said, I would generally support some form of decriminalization of marijuana... not because of alcohol's legality, but in spite of it.

8eat bag of doritos*

I think than mmmm....... what was the question again?

I live in Holland, but i'm still against smoking pot. I've seen it all, it doesnt do any good(except people using it as a medicine for relieve). Seen guys going down the drain cause of it. 14/15 year old's can get it to easy over here. It's like 18 year old's can get it @ a coffeeshop, but theyt buy it and smoke it with there younger friends. It's so common, and seriously is a problem here. But it' s neglected, they say you cant get addicted, my ass. Seen guys turn for the worse cuz of it.

I was in amsterdam tuesday, damn the Pot tourism is doing well nowadays. Number 1 reason for foreigners to come here, i wish it was different. (i'm no saint, but i'm not pro Weed)

Scientifically proven to not be addictive.

Alcohol, Nicotine, Caffeine are however addictive.

People say Marijuana leads to other drugs and I disagree. Caffeine, Alcohol and Nicotine lead to other drugs!

I've done an essay on this back in my Police & Security seminar in Uni.

In Canada, 90% of all criminal cases being prosecuted related to drugs are about marijuana... and that 90% amounts to less than 1% of the total marijuana market.

Not only is criminalization a waste of time and money, but it's also hampering the prosecution of harder drug cases.

Scientifically proven to not be addictive.

Yes i know, but the strange thing is that in real life it shows differently. I've seen guys that were totally addicted doing it everyday, and really were going down the drain.

And another thing is that its a small step from weed to other harder drugs! It's also to easy to lay your hands on!

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

no alcohol leads to hard liquor which leads to you being an alcoholic by 30 so addicted to it you drink mouth wash because it has alcohol in it. You then have a corrosive liver by 35 and need a liver transplant by 40 and you die by 50.

You can't smoke yourself to death on marijuana. You can drink yourself to death its called alcohol poisoning.

Yes pot can lead to other drugs whats the percentage of users of marijuana leading to cocaine and heroin? I bet its not a lot.

Would you ban alcohol because of the 1% that abuse it? No.

If I want to smoke marijuana in the comfort of my own home I should be allowed to. Just like if I wanted to make moon shine I could. Ever have had moon shine? Thats worse then anything on the market.

There are bigger drugs to worry about like Meth and Heroin then going after little johnny at the corner bus stop wanting to get high for the weekend with his girlfriend.

There are better things police departments can do.

There are better things police departments can do.

Like giving tickets.....

.... What? Thats what they do in my town!

If I want to smoke marijuana in the comfort of my own home I should be allowed to. Just like if I wanted to make moon shine I could. Ever have had moon shine? Thats worse then anything on the market.

homemade moonshine aint legal.

Yes i know, but the strange thing is that in real life it shows differently. I've seen guys that were totally addicted doing it everyday, and really were going down the drain.

And another thing is that its a small step from weed to other harder drugs! It's also to easy to lay your hands on!

Addiction is a physical condition. "Real" addiction means there is physical withdrawal symptoms when the person stop consuming. That's why marijuana is not addictive. There's no withdrawal symptoms.

Cigarette and coffee are addictive. You stop consuming, there's withdrawal symptoms.

The people you talk about who are "addicted" are "mentally" addicted, ie. its all between their ears. They'd most likely go down the drain with other things (alcohol, gambling, prostitution, etc.) if it wasn't marijuana.

Edited by KoZed

I dont know if the analogy to alcohol is proper. At the time of prohibition Alcohol was an accepted and popular part of western culture. There was a legitimate alcohol infrastructure and a populace that was used to its availability. Alcohol use was legitmized to a great degree through its use as a religious article in communion and jewish sabbatical benediction (the dissonant effect of this connection was only enhanced by prohibition's exception for religious uses).

In the case of marijuana, although pot is popular and a cultural icon, it is nowhere near as integrated in western society as alcohol. There is not a overarching legal capital infrastructure surrounding it, as there is for alcohol.

If alcohol were discovered today, it would most certainly be illegal, but familiarity breeds acceptance and our society has chosen to have one drug - alcohol. Why ought we have another?

That being said, I would generally support some form of decriminalization of marijuana... not because of alcohol's legality, but in spite of it.

Simonus:

-Rastas use marijuana in their religious ceremonies/praying rtituals.

-Hemp used to be widely avavlable at the turn of the 19th century but it was criminalized in a prohibition that was never lifted.

-Legal infrastructure is what people are asking for, so the argument that it doesn't exist like it does for alcohol is a bad argument. The argument comparing weed to alcohol is on the level of effect, and not distribution chanels.

Yes, pot should be legalized. Taxes should be collected. Illegal trade in pot would reduce gang violence.

I suffered pretty serious damage from pot smoking in college -- it took a long, long time to finally get the yellow cheesies stains off my fingers.

Looking at the results of this poll, the support is overwhelmingly positive for the initiative and shows a level of consensus among HW members that is, I would say, unprecedented. This only proves that the idea is a good one, that people all over should be made aware of it, because we can clearly see, no doubt about it, that people feel for sure that, you know, it's like umm , , , sorry -- what was I talking about?

Simonus:

-Rastas use marijuana in their religious ceremonies/praying rtituals.

-Hemp used to be widely avavlable at the turn of the 19th century but it was criminalized in a prohibition that was never lifted.

-Legal infrastructure is what people are asking for, so the argument that it doesn't exist like it does for alcohol is a bad argument. The argument comparing weed to alcohol is on the level of effect, and not distribution chanels.

Yes, pot should be legalized. Taxes should be collected. Illegal trade in pot would reduce gang violence.

rastafarianism isnt a large, mainstream american religious group and certainly doesnt have deep and longstanding roots here.

Much of the hemp that used to be available was not smoking-grade marijuana.

The legal infrastructure issue is huge. There is an entrenched legal alcohol economy in this country. This makes it especially difficult to prohibit alcohol. I was not making an argument against pot, i was talking about reasons why alcohol prohibition was and is untenable. If nothing else, the alcohol industry makes it political untenable to illegalize alcohol.

Again, at the end of my post I said that marijuana should probably be decriminalized... perhaps it should even be legalized. But many arguments justifying marijuana legalization by pointing to alcohol are unconvincing.

Edited by simonus

Addiction is a physical condition. "Real" addiction means there is physical withdrawal symptoms when the person stop consuming. That's why marijuana is not addictive. There's no withdrawal symptoms.

Cigarette and coffee are addictive. You stop consuming, there's withdrawal symptoms.

The people you talk about who are "addicted" are "mentally" addicted, ie. its all between their ears. They'd most likely go down the drain with other things (alcohol, gambling, prostitution, etc.) if it wasn't marijuana.

I know its a mental thing, but there is still a difference between the weed and the other things. I've seen how it goes, and a big thing is that Marihuana is very often under group pressure. Everybody does it from your group you hang with so you should do it to. And if your not standing to solid on your legs your gone. Group pressure is the worst.(and thats also with alcohol, but not at such a level) Cant find real explenations, but i base it more on reality.

There are talks going on about our drug system(with the elections). Some want more stuff legal, others want to forbid it all. Let's see what will be decided by the new Parlement.

hmmm its not either physical or mental... its both... sometimes one can be far greater than the other thus some form of medication to trick the system to not feel the cravings and side-effects

remember there is such a thing as being addicted to SEX... and thats a clear example of physical and hormonal endorphines and Dopamine need and a mental psicological shortcut that isnt working perfectly

....hmmmmmm SEXXX

I voted yes but I'm also aware of the traps that can accompany this kind of decision. I used to do dope in university and, contrary to the 'opinion' of others, it wasn't easy leaving it. There was an 'addictive' influence to it.

Also, I must protest to the characterizations used for the 'yes'/'no' positions. The 'yes' is made to look cool and good while the 'no' is made to look like some sort of old cranky guy's staterment. The question has become loaded.

GO :hlogo: GO!

remember there is such a thing as being addicted to SEX... and thats a clear example of physical and hormonal endorphines and Dopamine need and a mental psicological shortcut that isnt working perfectly

yeah it's called M.A.L.E !! :lol:

hmmm its not either physical or mental... its both... sometimes one can be far greater than the other thus some form of medication to trick the system to not feel the cravings and side-effects

....hmmmmmm SEXXX

Here's where you can cure your addiction CoRvInA:

http://www.sa.org/