Why are 6 of our top 9 forwards all on pace for career low seasons?

Aebischer4life

Here's what 7 of our top 9 forwards are on pace for.

Kovalev: 23 G 35 A 58 P

Ryder: 20 G 31 A 51 P

Johnson: 20 G 23 A 43 P

Samsonov: 16 G 23 A 39 P

Perezhogin: 8 G 20 A 28 P

Plekanec: 8 G 12 A 20 P

Kovalev was a point per game player last season, Ryder was a 30 goal scorer who people thought would even score 35-40 goals this season. Johnson although very good defensively is 12 points less then his last season where he had 55 points. Samsonov is on pace for 39 points! :?-

Perezhogin was supposed to be at least a 15 goal scorer this year yet he's on pace for 8 goals.

Pleks is also on pace for 8 goals and get this... 12 assists! Passing is the only thing he's good at and he's set to have a 12 assists season.

I realise being on pace doesnt mean they will finish the same way... but damit they need to be producing a lot more!

Kovalev was a point per game player last season, Ryder was a 30 goal scorer who people thought would even score 35-40 goals this season. Johnson although very good defensively is 12 points less then his last season where he had 55 points. Samsonov is on pace for 39 points! :?-

Perezhogin was supposed to be at least a 15 goal scorer this year yet he's on pace for 8 goals.

Pleks is also on pace for 8 goals and get this... 12 assists! Passing is the only thing he's good at and he's set to have a 12 assists season.

I realise being on pace doesnt mean they will finish the same way... but damit they need to be producing a lot more!

As long as we're doing so well defensively (and getting goals chipped in by the defence and bottom lines) then I don't mind so much. I think that once Higgins comes back, that 2nd line will wake up and start to produce - I'm quite sure Samsonov will not finish the season with 38 points.

I also think saying all Plekanec can do is pass is a bit of an exageration.

Interesting stats, but I'm not not sure we should be worrying about that yet. Remember Higgins last year - 3/4 of his goals were scored after the Olympic break.

Johnson is playing on the third line, whereas he played on the top 2 in Phoenix. His role has changed, I would suggest that Carbonneau would be ecstatic if he scored 43 points this year.

It also bears mentioning that our top defencemen are miles ahead of last year's pace. Souray is on pace for 66 points, which would blow away last year's haul of 37. Markov is also on pace for 66, which is significantly more than the 46 he scored last year. And Komisarek has already scored as many points in 21 games this year as he did in 72 games last year.

I still think it is troubling. While the team has a good record, we have a lot of offensively slumping players.

Yes, the D is doing great, which is why we are winning, but they are all free agents next year!

I sure hope the forwards wake up, but I think the real problem is the lack of a top two center. We need to find one to get the second line going, and balance out the attack better.

Interesting stats, but I'm not not sure we should be worrying about that yet. Remember Higgins last year - 3/4 of his goals were scored after the Olympic break.

Johnson is playing on the third line, whereas he played on the top 2 in Phoenix. His role has changed, I would suggest that Carbonneau would be ecstatic if he scored 43 points this year.

It also bears mentioning that our top defencemen are miles ahead of last year's pace. Souray is on pace for 66 points, which would blow away last year's haul of 37. Markov is also on pace for 66, which is significantly more than the 46 he scored last year. And Komisarek has already scored as many points in 21 games this year as he did in 72 games last year.

Yes but those guys make up about 1/3 of the team salary and are in huge slumps. It's not a small 3-4 game slump... 10-15 games makes me nervous.

The fact that all of them are slumping at the same time is another thing that is troubling.

The D will not keep this up so we need our forwards to step up if we wanna go anywhere. This is the same thing that happened last season before we went on that stupid long slump.

For the sake of it, the tinkering of the 2nd line had an effect on all those guys except Ryder & Johnson.

In Ryder's case, he's a little more complete as a player (hits more, backchecks more) and I'm guessing what he was told in his contract negociatiopn might have something to do with it. As for Johnson, we wasn't brought in for hgis offensive prowesses anyway,

I'm not too worried about those stats. Its barely just 20 games, so the "projected pace" is a statistical exageration since so little can turn into so big. A couple more points and the projection could be 20 points more.

to answer your topic title...

i don't know... I like the comment about the law of averages but it doesn't completely hold water. it's very possible for 6 of our top 9 scorers to all have career season lows at the same time... not very likely but very possible.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Kovelev and Samsonov have been hurt by the lack of a decent center.

Johnson I'm not worried about...he's doing what he was brought here to do, and I suspect his points will pick up if Radek Bonk keeps playing as well has he has been lately.

Ryder: yeah, he's stinking it up and needs to start producing

Perezhogin: some consistency will pick up his points...he has played very well at times and probably deserves more goals than he has (there were quite a few posts hit if I remember correctly early in the season)

Plekanec: I don't expect much from this guy, as I have percieved him as a 4th line player for quite awhile now.

Two main reason, first Higgins was on pace to an incredible season numbers before getting hurt. That completely stopped Ryder to produce because he had to work twice to get half the oppurtunities to score.

We really need more punch on the first line, bring Kovalev back there.

Secondly stop considering the second line as the second but the third, with Kovalev out on the first line

Second line with the ice time is Bonk-Johnson and Samsonov.

Third line: Players with less potential to make the difference but could always surprise.

Plekanek, Perezhogin and Latendresse

Fourth line : Lapierre and Bégin

Well I'll throw my 2 cents in first off, the third line is doing awesome, i wouldn't even consider that line an issue.

The first and second line IMO doesn't go hard to the net, turn away from good shots to make a better pass which normally leads to a turnover. Inconsistancy, the habs have only played 2-3 games for 60 minutes. They take too many shifts off.

The troubling ones are Samsonov and Kovalev. Disgusting really, Samsonov wasn't signed to provide 39pts a year.

Perezhogin is doing a decent job on the third line, Johnson is fantastic. Last year's numbers were with a lot more icetime. Plekanec just isn't an offensive-minded player, so that's not surprising. Ryder's a pretty streaky player, that's how goalscorers are, I'm betting he'll still get 30.

The second line is a problem that's going to get bigger and bigger unless they somehow can fix it, we can't count on either the 1st line or 3rd line or Souray to guarantee goals each night. There's going to be nights where none of the three produce, and the 2nd line has to be there...

Has Johnson become the Bonk of 2006-2007 season :|

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy is doing amazing. He's doing everything. Also, how much scoring do u expect from a thrid line. You forget to look at his plus minus.

The guy is a beast. Who cares is he doesn't score

Montreal tends to play a conservative style of hockey under the tutiledge of Carbonneau. This style lends itself to less offensive chances and therefore less goals. One proof of this style is that Montreal has been outshot almost every game (but not outplayed necessarily) In any case the Habs are playing a pretty well controlled team defensive game. Another factor has been the amount of penalties called against Montreal, this too limits the offensive chances and messes with line chemistry.

who cares if they're having down years. I thought hockey was about winning and not personal stats?

True, but the team isn't going to keep winning getting so little production from the 2nd line. Really, Montreal has been rather lucky so far. Without the top line being so great on the PP so far, we'd be in trouble. The team has a -8 goal differential at even strenght. If they don't fix that, they are going to struggle mightily when the PP cools down. Thus, the 2nd line needs to step things up and start putting up some points.