Why are 6 of our top 9 forwards all on pace for career low seasons?

Aebischer4life

I think we are forgetting the real factor here, and that's if our scorers are not scoring their value goes down. I think we can all agree that Montreal needs to sign our Dmen in the offseason, however to fit in their salary increase some changes will need to be made. It is very hard to market your goalscorers if they are all coming off career low seasons. I agree with everybody in the context of this year, as long as we win who cares, but you have to think long term, and if other teams won't trade with us because we got nothing to offer we will be in serious trouble, that is why we need these guys to perform. We will be handcuffed this offseason trying to make deals with these guys. That is my only concern.

If Johnson and Bonk both have 20-goal seasons, that's 100% certified awesome. And that's the pace they're on right now. If you're putting that up without sponging up top-6 icetime, jumpin' celery, I wanna hug ya.

Kovalev's been off, but he was the best forward in a bad game against Philly, and more than for his goal and assist - he was real Kovalev, and if that continues, I equals v. happy. Samsonov is certainly way off, but I can see him coming around eventually, fingers crossed. Ryder is Ryder - I'm ready to accept that he's not the same without Koivu AND Higgins.

As for Plekanec, I am disappointed, just because I think of all the slumping forwards, he and Samsonov are the ones who could be doing much better. We're used to thinking of him as a defensive player, but he led the Bulldogs in goals, assists and points in 04-05, ahead of Mr. Higgins in all three categories. He's just hitting the age where Ryder finally figured out how to play hockey, so he's still young yet, and the kid can skate and pass. I think the problem is in his head - starting out with Kovalev and Samsonov was too much for him, despite the great skills he showed last year, and I think he's only now coming around. We'll see...

As for their stats making them useless for trades, I don't think that's as important. In the cap era, you build a team through in-house development and opportunistic signings; trades are for dumping your mistakes, not filling your holes. A forward corps that collectively slumps horribly while the team goes 13-6 is a blessing if those same forwards regain their game later, because it makes re-signing them easier. I'd love for Ryder to tank for 55 games, catch fire in March and burn through the playoffs if that means he'll have to sign for less.

If Johnson and Bonk both have 20-goal seasons, that's 100% certified awesome. And that's the pace they're on right now. If you're putting that up without sponging up top-6 icetime, jumpin' celery, I wanna hug ya.

Kovalev's been off, but he was the best forward in a bad game against Philly, and more than for his goal and assist - he was real Kovalev, and if that continues, I equals v. happy. Samsonov is certainly way off, but I can see him coming around eventually, fingers crossed. Ryder is Ryder - I'm ready to accept that he's not the same without Koivu AND Higgins.

As for Plekanec, I am disappointed, just because I think of all the slumping forwards, he and Samsonov are the ones who could be doing much better. We're used to thinking of him as a defensive player, but he led the Bulldogs in goals, assists and points in 04-05, ahead of Mr. Higgins in all three categories. He's just hitting the age where Ryder finally figured out how to play hockey, so he's still young yet, and the kid can skate and pass. I think the problem is in his head - starting out with Kovalev and Samsonov was too much for him, despite the great skills he showed last year, and I think he's only now coming around. We'll see...

As for their stats making them useless for trades, I don't think that's as important. In the cap era, you build a team through in-house development and opportunistic signings; trades are for dumping your mistakes, not filling your holes. A forward corps that collectively slumps horribly while the team goes 13-6 is a blessing if those same forwards regain their game later, because it makes re-signing them easier. I'd love for Ryder to tank for 55 games, catch fire in March and burn through the playoffs if that means he'll have to sign for less.

I think Bonk was our best forward vs Philadelphia but whatever. Kovalev has been doing well too. I like what Samsonov's been doing in the past couple of games. He might not be scoring but he's using his speed and puckhandling skills to draw defenders to him - and then using his amazing playmaking to find Kovalev. When Higgins comes back, I expect big things form that line.