Am I 'Anti-American'

Pierre the Great

I got accused of being anti american again by my cousin this time. He didn't have to come into my room and see my political icons void of american figures. I was tired I spent the entire day moving my cousins sister into my home (she's living with us for the time being rent to high she got laid of from work).

I went off right in front of my cousin about his dad my racist uncle. I told my cousin I was tired of the racial insults I constantly here from him. Unlike some people in this country I take racism very seriously. I went to an all black high school where the administrators were all white and imposed crack downs on the black students while leaving the few white students alone. I taped varsity girls basketball games. Every game I'd here racial slurs thrown at the girls. After every game I had to tell the coach to turn the volume down when watching the tape with the girls because they would here the insults thrown at them.

My cousin then went after my political views. Saying I hate America and am racists towards red necks. When did red necks become a race? Really I mean geez and they wonder why I don't come down to the farm as often as I used to. I also basically said Grandpa was a racist as well. Grandma whose still alive I know has tendencies to call people by racial names. For example every spanish speaking person is a mexican. When I said I talked to this Muslim girl all night at 24 fitness she did a double take and went Muslim? My next door nieghbours are of Indian descent and well instead of calling the family by there last name she calls them 'indians or the hindus'. But she's 85 and not completely there so she doesn't bother me.

Its this constant oh you hate america crap that makes me angry. If I hate America because I believe in Social Justice and helping out the 100 million people in this country that go without health care for a year. Or the 50 million or so who are in poverty. Yeah I must really hate America. Passing out christmas trees to deaf kids. yup I want to see the country fall apart, for sure. lol

Just because my political idols come from Canada, Sweden France and the UK somehow makes me an anti american?

Listen I was born political I wish I wasn't but I cannot escape it. I was just born this way. I share a birthday with Nelson Mandela and John Glenn for crying out loud.

When I was little (like 3) I already knew what was going on in the world.

I have dated things by political events that I remember as a kid

I remember the Berlin Wall coming down for example. I was on 3

I first became aware of the ravage of war at around 6 when Bosnia started going bad.

I remember watching it every day on the Nightly News.

At 10 I was already writing political essays 10!

I'm sorry if I don't see the America everyone else sees but I can't seem to help it. When I think of America I think of North Saint Louis' ghetto of crime, despare and urban decay and the people who have been forgotten by society. Then I look at where I live all white suburb, gated communities. Its the tale of two worlds.

How come I'm apparently the only one seeing this?

I've walked the streets of Atlanta

Seen the stark contrast of life in Florida (go down one street and people are driving BMW's and are rich go down the street next to it and its poverty)

I've seen rural Mississippi. (still don't know where the people live couldn't find a single home)

I've been to Harlem.

Detroit

Cleveland

South Side of Chicago

New Orleans

Yeah I'm in love with Canada. I dream about her every night. I can't help that. I want out, so if that makes me anti american so be it. But frankly I'm just 1 and a million around here because I can find 50 people who have the same outlook as me without even trying hard.

I've realized the world doesn't want to be saved nor wants my help. Sad really because there's a hole in the ship and its taking in water.

Anyway I'm pretty much done with my cousins now. lol the isolation continues.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get this through your head: there is no such thing as utopia. As much as you fantasize about Canada, it's not like life is perfect there. They still have school shootings. They still have crime. The homelessness rate in Canada is 2nd only to the US. The murder rate is lower in Canada, but then the rape rate is higher in Canada. Terrorist plots have been discovered, and thankfully stopped, in Canada.

Is Canada different from the US? Of course it is. But the way you always talk about it, you are constantly building it up as some kind of utopia. All you are doing, in my opinion, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Stand up for what you believe in Pierre. That is all that is important.

For the record, Canada is not perfect but I do beieve it is the best best you will find anywhwere (at least the far Eastern Canada is). Yes there is still racism, crime, etc...but I believe it to be (on the whole) a great place to live.

I have never lived in the USA so I can't argue what the way of life is there. You will never be poor in Canada because you got sick. You can have million dollar surgery and walk out of the hospital with no bills. There are still guns, but you have gun control...so you do not have the right to carry a loaded gun...unless your hunting. I lived in various parts of Canada and truly believe the quality of life in the Maritimes is second to none. Employment was and always will be the demise of the Maritimes but recent years have reversed the trend.

Rapes, well I can't say I know of anyone raped but it happens. People still get murdered etc. School shootings have happened but I can only think of a few in my entire life.

If we want to Rag on Canada I guess you could say it is cold for many parts of the year...but it makes you enjoy summer that much more. We have an idiot for a leader too...but at least it looks like the US is changing for the better. We don't have much for a military so I guess we are vulnerable for attack...but there a few enemies capable of doing so. We trade with Cuba.

Well maybe try to think about perspective, the heartbreaking gap between rich and poor in places like Thailand or Guatemala makes the gap in America seem small. Of course America is a rich country and could do better but it has does not have a social democratic tradition like Canada / Scandinavia / Western Europe and so education and health care and other public services are not as universally available. Taxes are lower though -- unfortunately they feed the war machine but that's another issue .. .

However there is a tremendous amount of progressive thinking in America, getting face-to-face with it depends on where you are located, and even then it is a matter of what sort of circles you move in. Believe me, if I can find open-minded people in Tokyo you can in St. Louis. America also has a tolerance for free thought and expression and alternative lifestyles, something that you should both defend and take pride in.

As for being Anti-American, yes the New American Right would have you believe anyone who protests against the Bush Doctrine is "anti-American." However take comfort in the fact that a large and growing number of intellectuals, academics and analysts (and expats) are beginning to regard the Bush administration itself as "anti-American," and it is a very safe bet that history will remember them as such. (But even an evolved national hindsight won't bring back the 600,000 dead Iraqis.)

With regard to your cousin, it is hard to tell people things it is better to show them, so just be an example and let them think what they will, which they will in any case. It is important to express your opinion when you see wrong, but at the end of the day try not to antagonize your family too much, maybe just discuss other things.

Now Pierre, please go read up some more on the Habs because you will disappoint me if you don't write at least three or four informed posts about les glorieux for every one you write about wealth gaps, unregenerate racism or creeping fascism.

Pierre if you truly would like to come to canada ... come to Vancouver... the more utopian-like of the Canadian cities... Our prime minister is an Asshole meaning assholes voted for him but you will meet great people here the assholes dont come out in plane sight or keep quiet!

But your country needs more people like you! so keep up the struggle! those of us who are more aware of things and more passionate about doing things need to stay firm! look up something in your town.. I'm sure there must be some form of progressive organizations that can help you charge your batteries

peace bro!

Get this through your head: there is no such thing as utopia. As much as you fantasize about Canada, it's not like life is perfect there. They still have school shootings. They still have crime. The homelessness rate in Canada is 2nd only to the US. The murder rate is lower in Canada, but then the rape rate is higher in Canada. Terrorist plots have been discovered, and thankfully stopped, in Canada.

Is Canada different from the US? Of course it is. But the way you always talk about it, you are constantly building it up as some kind of utopia. All you are doing, in my opinion, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gotta agree with Fanpuck here. Don't get me wrong Canada is a great place to live, and i wouldn't choose to live anywhere else, but your putting it up on a pedastle (sp?) that no country could possibly match. Your going to find many of the same problems up here are also happening down there. Toronto in particular has major homelessness/violence issues.

Honestly, you should be more thankful that you live in a great country like the U.S. I wonder sometimes if you ever think about some of the other countries that you could have been born into. Ive travelled through Guatemala fairly extensively, and that gave me even more of an appreciation for my country.

I know I put Canada on this pedal stool but Canada fits me the best at least Vancouver does. I don't know if you've ever been an immigrant Fanpuck but a lot of people in my life have and the best example would be my counselor. He's from Scotland came here in the late 70's when he was my age. He got off the plane and felt like he was home while the other two immigrants from the UK where daunted by the size of the place.

I know Canada has problems. But I find it funny that over the past couple of years I've thought of ideas to fix them then fix the US problems I've seen my entire life because nobody listens to me.

How am I suppose to stop feelings of wishing I was born in another country? I don't like it here, I've outgrown the place. I'm a world traveler at heart.

When I was about 10 I discovered Western Europe. From 10-18 I wanted the US to become like Europe with its social liberal ideas, free speech, freedom of expression and so on. 2004 went and passed I finally realized that was never going to happen.

So yeah I make Canada and British Columbia this utopia when I shouldn't but I just feel thats where life is, its exciting different and something I want to be apart of.

I've always had this wanting to be an immigrant thing in me. Its complicated from where it came from but in short it came from my grandparents on my good side.

My whole life I've been trying to match what they went through and did. Its impossible.

Basically I'd feel more at home in Vancouver and at peace with myself in Canada then I would in America. Thats all I'm looking for to be honest. I just want to feel at home and apart of something. Canada gives me that. If thats 'Utopian' the so be it.

As for being Anti-American, yes the New American Right would have you believe anyone who protests against the Bush Doctrine is "anti-American." However take comfort in the fact that a large and growing number of intellectuals, academics and analysts (and expats) are beginning to regard the Bush administration itself as "anti-American," and it is a very safe bet that history will remember them as such. (But even an evolved national hindsight won't bring back the 600,000 dead Iraqis.)

How about dictatorial? War-mongering? They break so many laws the make the mob look puritanical? Is that a little extreme? :P History won't be kind to Bush, not kind at all. I suspect his reign will be considered an embarassment and a low point in American history before long.

Just because utopia doesn't exist doesn't mean you can excuse anything that passes as society.

You seem as though you are blindly patriotic, and that you are just turned off by anything that crticizes the states in comparison with another country. The states isn't the best. It is no where near the best. It could be the best because of the wealth and resources, but racism runs very deeply, and social injustice is rampant. And yes, in these respects, Canada is better. Not perfect, just better.

If we look at things in terms of climate, one could argue that the US has a better overall climate.

Please -- Let's not have this descend into an aggressive or bitter Canada vs US battle of words, this community comprises people from all over the world and that includes Canada and the US. There are many strong opinions here, and very few people can be totally dispassionate discussing their home, so let's welcome respect and show restraint.

I guess my post above gives where I stand on what is happening in the US these days but, honestly I grew up in awe of America. For example I remember watching the Saturday cartoons from WPTZ in Burlington, the breakfast cereals, toys and so on advertised there looked so cool, I could only look, couldn't buy the stuff hehehe; and in Rawhide Kid comic books I could read about X-Ray Specs but couldn't order them -- I wanted to sell Grit and earn myself a bicycle, but Canada was the hinterlands. Luckily this was the Trudeau Era and all that was changing, as Canada came into its own.

I lived in the States for awhile before coming to Japan, and enjoyed it. I still get in once or twice a year, but feel something has changed. For the first time in my life I would not want to live there even if there was a good opportunity. I know scores of Americans living in Japan, and many talk like they are in a self-imposed exile.

Like I said, it won't bring back the 600,000 dead Iraqis, but I hope the US gets through this dark period. We sometimes forget, and I think this happens to people living in Canada/US, that these are both relatively young countries and ongoing social experiments . . .Anyway I want to go read about hockey now, hehehe

And it's "pedestal," guys, geez ... ^_^

Thats funny JLP, growing up I was always in awe of other countries. Canada and Europe seemed like a different cooler world. Everything you've said about America as a kid I've had for Canada and Europe. The little things get me all worked up and happy. But then again ever since I was little I was always on a search to seek out other cultures and life since I really didn't have a culture to hold on to other then having my grandparents. But once she's gone my cultural link is gone and I become assimilated into boringness.

Yes we have problems in Canada too, but they are very diminutive when compared to USA's.

I feel our political system, though dated and in need of ammendment, is a lot better than theirs. Although I am sure there is corruption present it is nowhere near as rampant as it appears to be in Yankland.

I have a fear that the truth will one day be revealed on the years of American government cover ups and the armed public will take to the streets in all out anarchy. JFK, Hoffa, moon landing, 911, too get you thinking.

I would like to see America surrender to Canada and just let us sort the mess out, call the new country Texanada, we should be all able to live with that.

Problem as I see it is that the south has risen once again. If you look at the political map of USA, East and Pacific are Dem, Red neck south and north are Rep. Because of their political structure, these under populated areas vote out weighs the majoriy popular vote. The poor blacks in these regions don't vote and the good'ol'boys rule the nation. Make Robert E Lee right proud.

Funny, growing up I always wanted to live down there. I have and am glad to be back in Nova Scotia, where a man can smoke a spliff without fear of jail time, drink in clubs until 3:30am without fear of being shot, and subscribe to RDS for $3can/month.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I would like to see America surrender to Canada and just let us sort the mess out, call the new country Texanada, we should be all able to live with that. . .

Hmm, redrawing the map -- how about this:

jesusland.jpg

Ok Ok I'm SORRY!!!! It is a JOKE!!! could not help myself :P

Just because utopia doesn't exist doesn't mean you can excuse anything that passes as society.

You seem as though you are blindly patriotic, and that you are just turned off by anything that crticizes the states in comparison with another country. The states isn't the best. It is no where near the best. It could be the best because of the wealth and resources, but racism runs very deeply, and social injustice is rampant. And yes, in these respects, Canada is better. Not perfect, just better.

If we look at things in terms of climate, one could argue that the US has a better overall climate.

How far away from being the best is it really? Anyone who lives in the States should be glad that thats where they live, 95% of the rest of the world is worse off.

Yes we have problems in Canada too, but they are very diminutive when compared to USA's.

I feel our political system, though dated and in need of ammendment, is a lot better than theirs. Although I am sure there is corruption present it is nowhere near as rampant as it appears to be in Yankland.

I have a fear that the truth will one day be revealed on the years of American government cover ups and the armed public will take to the streets in all out anarchy. JFK, Hoffa, moon landing, 911, too get you thinking.

The poor blacks in these regions don't vote and the good'ol'boys rule the nation. Make Robert E Lee right proud.

Hmmm corruption...sounds a little familiar for us Canadians doesn't it? And citing conspiracy theories is really weak, because that is all they are, theories. Most of them are outlandish too.

If the "poor blacks" dont vote than its their own fault. Anyone who doesn't vote can't complain about what the government is doing.

You don't seem to understand my post. I wasn't bashing Canada and glorifying the US. I was simply saying that Canada isn't perfect. There is no such thing as perfect.

If the "poor blacks" dont vote than its their own fault. Anyone who doesn't vote can't complain about what the government is doing.

:clap:

Wow. Either you are joking or you are :wacko:.

I dont really see any personal attacks. Just a nice argument.

ok, so let's keep it nice -- what I mean people is don't say that another poster is "blindly patriotic" or "insane," because experience has shown that things tend to escalate from there. Attack the argument not the person.

well I've been called anti american by countless of people. Granted I don't feel like standing up for the country anymore. Tired of fighting other peoples fights for them in a sense. Tired of having to explain to people they didn't really mean what they say and do. Just tired.

If being anti american is criticizing basically all forms of government that run the country and not liking where you were born (missouri) regions I've traveled a lot as a kid (the south) having an urban immigrant family and a rural Midwestern farm family. Having to being called worthless by my rich cousins (whom got preggo anyway, jokes on them idiots) and is tired of people voting on wedge issues and showing there political views on a bumper sticker then yeah I hate America. I hate it so so much, yup.

Granted there are places I wouldn't mind living Northern California, Seattle. But yeah I sure hate everything else, uh huh. please.

I can hate the system and not the man or woman.

This country is polarized and I'm a victim of it.

i've lived in both the US and Canada and am in the process of moving back to the US in the next month or so.

in many ways, both nations are great - in many ways, both nations leave a lot to be desired.

personally, i wish (generalization to follow .....) that Americans cared MORE about the nations that surround them as opposed to only caring about nations whose resources they covet. true personal example: i tell someone in Pittsburgh that i'm from Toronto - all they know to say is "brrr cold".

AND

i wish (generalization to follow ..... ) that Canadians cared LESS about the US. true personal example: why do Canadians seem to care that the US has Thanksgiving in November, then Christmas the next month in an effort to convert Americans into believing that Thanksgiving should be in October???

all in all - i'm a proud Canadian who is married to a proud American and we're both proud to have dual-citizen children. my choice? live in the US, but not cuz it's better - only cuz overall i like it slightly more.

at least it's not Japan - now THAT would be horrible!!!! jk ;)