2nd Line centre

BCHabnut

So, I know that Bonk is doing well on the checking line, but man this team needs a 2nd line centre. If someone could pass the puck to Kovy and set up a few goals, I think you would find him producing a lot more. Bonk has been playing well, and it would be nice to see him centre the 2nd line.

So, I know that Bonk is doing well on the checking line, but man this team needs a 2nd line centre. If someone could pass the puck to Kovy and set up a few goals, I think you would find him producing a lot more. Bonk has been playing well, and it would be nice to see him centre the 2nd line.

i too tought this would be a good idea...but the thing with bonk is if you want him to produce you cant give him too much pressure...look at him play now...he seems to be having fun as if he was playing with some friends...put pressur on him and he cracks...i say let plekanec a couple of games more to see what he can truly give to the team..the past few games they had plenty of good oppertunities....now if they can only sink some more in.

Yeah I would not be a fan of breaking up the PBJ line, If Plekanec has not got anything going (goal wise) with Kovalev and Samsonov then when Higgis comes back give him a try on that line.

Higgins is supposed to be back by about mid-December, so three weeks might be too long to wait?

Give Plekanec 2-3 more games. I thought his first game since being reunited with the Russians was strong, at least; and that line has been noticeably more effective in the last few games.

But if they cool off again, then yes: switch him and Bonk. Chemistry is important, but I doubt that any of these players are suddenly going to forget how to play hockey just because the lines got shuffled. If it doesn't work, just restore the lines the way they were, that's all.

Give Plekanec 2-3 more games. I thought his first game since being reunited with the Russians was strong, at least; and that line has been noticeably more effective in the last few games.

But if they cool off again, then yes: switch him and Bonk. Chemistry is important, but I doubt that any of these players are suddenly going to forget how to play hockey just because the lines got shuffled. If it doesn't work, just restore the lines the way they were, that's all.

I'd go with that too. The 2nd line is having its good shares of chances; it's not like they're invisible. Sammy and Plex's speed will cause trouble for the opposing teams once they can get on the same page.

Line chemistry doesn't happen overnight. Its easier for north-south guys like Bonk & Johnson to mesh; but guys like Sammy and Kovy are much harder to adapt to because they're all over the place. Give it time and eventually it will come.

[b]Its easier for north-south guys like Bonk & Johnson to mesh; but guys like Sammy and Kovy are much harder to adapt to because they're all over the place. Give it time and eventually it will come.[/b]

Very good point Kozed. Makes a lot of sence.

I remember you from ESPN.com. This forum is much better. The trolls on ESPN were crazy.

i too tought this would be a good idea...but the thing with bonk is if you want him to produce you cant give him too much pressure...look at him play now...he seems to be having fun as if he was playing with some friends...put pressur on him and he cracks...i say let plekanec a couple of games more to see what he can truly give to the team..the past few games they had plenty of good oppertunities....now if they can only sink some more in.

I don't think the motive behind the switch would be to get Bonk going as much as getting Kovalev and Samsonov going. Should he start racking up points, that would be the cherry on the ice cream.

Aebisher, and a d and picks for LECAVALIER.

NOW.

Lecavalier has a 6.875 mill cap hit, I think the Habs would have to clear a bit more to get a guy like him. Also he is over paid for a player never to touch the 80 point mark, but he could do it this year.

Here is some food for thought. Everyone is so down on the second line, but if you ask me it's not like our 1st line is instilling fear into our opponents. A well balanced game and good coaching and goaltending is giving us wins.

You want a scary line?

I say slide Koivu down and make it our first line. Boom!!!!!!! Goals from SAMMY and KOVALEV with a career year for Koivu. Koivu and Kovalev were incredible the first year untill thingamabob in Jersey broke them up.

Now what to do with the 2nd line? Ryder and Latendresse with Pleks or Higgins at center who would be great now that he has confidence. Other then that the search continues for a center.

I undestand the reasons of splitting up the talent but I would rather have a killer 1st line then 2 unreliable lines.

I think it would work

Lecavalier is overrated, but as a second-line centreman, I wouldn't object.

Montreal couldn't afford him. THey are already pushing the salary cap as it is.

They'd have to look at dumping a bunch of salary and messing wiht team chemistry in doing so. Lecavalier costs about $7 Million per year. If you dump Aebischer and lets say Souray (because Montreal can't resign him anyways next year because of cap issuses) thats still only $4.3 Million you've cleared. YOu'd still have to clear another $2 Million and then replace the players you traded away. Not easy to do.

And besides if Feaster has said it once he's said it a thousand times. He will not be the GM that traded Vinny Lecavalier

Here is some food for thought. Everyone is so down on the second line, but if you ask me it's not like our 1st line is instilling fear into our opponents. A well balanced game and good coaching and goaltending is giving us wins.

You want a scary line?

I say slide Koivu down and make it our first line. Boom!!!!!!! Goals from SAMMY and KOVALEV with a career year for Koivu. Koivu and Kovalev were incredible the first year untill thingamabob in Jersey broke them up.

Now what to do with the 2nd line? Ryder and Latendresse with Pleks or Higgins at center who would be great now that he has confidence. Other then that the search continues for a center.

I undestand the reasons of splitting up the talent but I would rather have a killer 1st line then 2 unreliable lines.

I think it would work

Koivu and Kovy stopped working together in November. Remember our huge slump? Julien (was it even Julien, or was Gainey coach then?) had to break them up because they weren't doing anything together anymore. And it lead to Higgins becoming the offensive sparkplug that we know, so no complains there.

I'm not sure Sammy and Koivu could work on the same line. I think they'd be just the same as Sammy and Plex. Small speedy guys who are better at passing the puck. I'm starting to see that Latendresse is much more comfortable and dangerous on the RW than on the LW. I think Ryder's drop of production could be related. There'd be a need to make a switch there too.

I'd like to see Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse together just to see how it goes. Lats already showed better playmaking skills than Ryder, so these 3 together could maybe be even more dangerous than with Ryder; but its just speculation. I'd just like to see how they do together.

Ryder needs to be fed the puck and shoot. He can't really control the puck much as it too often leads to turnovers. He might do well with a Sammy or a Plex on his line. Perhaps try Kovy at C again and go with Sammy - Kovy - Ryder... Plex goes back to the 4th along with Begin and whoever else.

BUT... if Ryder finds his game back in the next couple of games (before Higgins come back) than keep the 1st as it is and slide Higgins in-between Sammy and Kovy. The 2nd line sure could use an energy player like Higgins.

Edited by KoZed

Montreal Canadiens are sixth in the east and heading for the playoffs. There's a lot of players heading for UFA status and Gainey can't afford to keep everybody.

The insurance is David Aebisher. A cheap number one goalie that has the backup role in Montreal. Trading him for some help when it come to playoff is almost certain.

When it comes to the second line center. Look on the bright side. They have a lot of time figure it out as the team are putting up wins. No panic there.

Koivu and Kovy stopped working together in November. Remember our huge slump? Julien (was it even Julien, or was Gainey coach then?) had to break them up because they weren't doing anything together anymore. And it lead to Higgins becoming the offensive sparkplug that we know, so no complains there.

Gainey didn't take over until January. Remember the big controversy started when Julien decided to start playing Huet over Theodore. Gainey took over soon after, and discovered what Julien already knew. However, Kovalev and Koivu did continue to play together until Gainey decided to try Higgins with Koivu. Don't forget, during the huge slump in November, the Habs lost Kovalev and Markov during that stretch. Kovy was out from about the middle of the month until the end of December. I think the Habs briefly lost Koivu during that stretch as well, and Julien reunited them when they both were healthy towards the end of the year...and that's how they stayed until Gainey took the helm.

Top line was primarily: Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev, 2nd was Dags-Ribeiro-Ryder.

Whaaa? Koivu and Kovalev were both over a point per game players in the first 18 games of the season playing on the same line. Then Kovalev got injured and they never were put back together.

Whaaa? Koivu and Kovalev were both over a point per game players in the first 18 games of the season playing on the same line. Then Kovalev got injured and they never were put back together.

Not exactly correct.

Kovy got injured in mid November (14th) and came back by the end of December (20th). Koivu was out from Dec. 17th to 31th. The team was in full slump from Nov. to Jan. Kovy and Koivu weren't split until January (7th) by Julien.

All the while that they spent together between Nov. and Jan., they couldn't do anything worthwhile.

Gainey didn't take over until January. Remember the big controversy started when Julien decided to start playing Huet over Theodore. Gainey took over soon after, and discovered what Julien already knew. However, Kovalev and Koivu did continue to play together until Gainey decided to try Higgins with Koivu. Don't forget, during the huge slump in November, the Habs lost Kovalev and Markov during that stretch. Kovy was out from about the middle of the month until the end of December. I think the Habs briefly lost Koivu during that stretch as well, and Julien reunited them when they both were healthy towards the end of the year...and that's how they stayed until Gainey took the helm.

Top line was primarily: Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev, 2nd was Dags-Ribeiro-Ryder.

Yup... Julien split Kovy and Koivu on Jan. 7th and was canned on Jan. 14th.