Flames To Retire #30

jetsniper

Any idea if Fleury's will be retired? :lol:

He was usually as high as the rafter's when he played - probably has an old jersey already hanging up there as it is? :rolleyes:

Congrats to Vernon although I hate 1989 I was only 3 but have seen video and it hurts to watch a fellow Kingstonian score the cup winner in Montreal (Doug Gilmour).

at least you had another fellow kingtonian playing an important role in 93

what about that dude with a beard during the eighties?

Lannycolor.jpg

This fella? His number (9) is already retired, the only number to be retired by the franchise before Vernon's was announced today.

He was usually as high as the rafter's when he played - probably has an old jersey already hanging up there as it is? :rolleyes:

It's a shame, he'd be up there already if it weren't for his drug problems. I'm sure he'll eventually get up there. He was one of those guys that EVERYONE knew, even if you didn't watch hockey. I remember in grade 2, in music class. We'd play this game where someone would give a subject and then you had to name something related to that subject along with a beat. You'd sit in a circle and the class would all have to try and come up with something. The boys always did hockey players because it always screwed up the girls. The only one they could name was Theo.

I remember the day he got traded to the Avs too, my grandpa phoned me at like..8 in the morning to tell me about it. Then we all watched the press conference as he cried and said it wasn't about the money, he just wanted a change (remember, this is the beginning of the Flames downturn). I think he just wanted out of a rebuilding project. Played really well with us too but then he wouldn't even listen to us when we wanted to re-sign him. I still have his biography too (actually, just about everyone bought it when it came out. I think I was 7, I got it for christmas). He was more revered (sp?) by the little kids in the city then anyone on the team now.

Vernon?!

I know Calgary doesn't have that long a history, but still... Vernon never stroke me as an exceptionnal player. The only individual trophy, he won in Detroit. He was alright in Calgary.

Have they retired MacInnis' jersey already? He deserves it. And Gary Suter. And Joe Mullen. And Hakan Looooooooooooooooooooooooob!

Vernon?!

I know Calgary doesn't have that long a history, but still... Vernon never stroke me as an exceptionnal player. The only individual trophy, he won in Detroit. He was alright in Calgary.

Have they retired MacInnis' jersey already? He deserves it. And Gary Suter. And Joe Mullen. And Hakan Looooooooooooooooooooooooob!

Nah, I said in my original post we still needed to get #2 up there.

You underestimate Vernon's reputation with the Flames, he was great. Like the rest of the team, he just got overshadowed by the monsters to the north. I know the goaltending history in Calgary isn't great but he still leads every major goaltending category (although it helps we've only had two other exceptional goaltenders in Lemelin and Kipper). Local boy, born and raised in Calgary, he was a gamer. Always came up huge in the playoffs when he could and is still remembered fondly by the fans. It's how I root out the true fans from the bandwagoners, I ask who the best goalie in Flames history is. If I hear Kipper, I move on. He's not above Vernon just yet.

Looking at the Flames Stanley Cup year, check out his stats.

.897 SV %

2.65 GAA

A 37-6-5 record

Albeit that was his best year, his GAA was more around 3.30 but that easily puts him on par with Grant Fuhr (if not better) who got about 10x the attention that Vernon did. Totally deserved by Mikey, he'll be one of those guys who gets in the hall after a long time. Kind of like Dickie Duff did this year.

Nah, I said in my original post we still needed to get #2 up there.

You underestimate Vernon's reputation with the Flames, he was great. Like the rest of the team, he just got overshadowed by the monsters to the north. I know the goaltending history in Calgary isn't great but he still leads every major goaltending category (although it helps we've only had two other exceptional goaltenders in Lemelin and Kipper). Local boy, born and raised in Calgary, he was a gamer. Always came up huge in the playoffs when he could and is still remembered fondly by the fans. It's how I root out the true fans from the bandwagoners, I ask who the best goalie in Flames history is. If I hear Kipper, I move on. He's not above Vernon just yet.

Looking at the Flames Stanley Cup year, check out his stats.

.897 SV %

2.65 GAA

A 37-6-5 record

Albeit that was his best year, his GAA was more around 3.30 but that easily puts him on par with Grant Fuhr (if not better) who got about 10x the attention that Vernon did. Totally deserved by Mikey, he'll be one of those guys who gets in the hall after a long time. Kind of like Dickie Duff did this year.

The funny thing about Vernon was towards the end of his Calgary stint (I was there) I would go to the Dome and the crowd were very strange. Vernon would stop a slow moving puck (easy stop) and some in the crowd would sarcastically cheer or say, "Way to go Mikey, get back in your net Mikey"

They always called him that during those days and it was not out of kindness. Now he's being retired.

Where are all of those Mikey people now?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Just shows the difference between some teams out there. On the Habs, he'd be long forgotten, while on the Flames, who are apparently desperate to look like they've had a "storied history" he's a symbol. If the critera for retirement is playing a good year or two, then does the whole '89 squad go into the rafters?

Vernon?!

Håkan Loob is still the only swede to score 50 goals in a season.

The funny thing about Vernon was towards the end of his Calgary stint (I was there) I would go to the Dome and the crowd were very strange. Vernon would stop a slow moving puck (easy stop) and some in the crowd would sarcastically cheer or say, "Way to go Mikey, get back in your net Mikey"

They always called him that during those days and it was not out of kindness. Now he's being retired.

Where are all of those Mikey people now?

You should know by now the fans are fickle here, he was welcomed back here when the Flames were in the rut of signing over the hill goalies (Wregget, Fuhr, Vernon. Should of just kept Brathwaite as starter). Now everyones happy to see it.

Just shows the difference between some teams out there. On the Habs, he'd be long forgotten, while on the Flames, who are apparently desperate to look like they've had a "storied history" he's a symbol. If the critera for retirement is playing a good year or two, then does the whole '89 squad go into the rafters?

Local boy and a fan favorite, we're not desperate for anything. Obviously no one is as good as your beloved Habs but other teams can still do things for the players they feel are deserving. The front office hasn't changed much in the 80s, they were around when he was here. They know hes deserving.

What about hull? Granted he didn't do much but he did start his career there.

Might as well let the Avs retire Mats Sundin's number.

Vernon played well when it mattered. To this day I hate the name Vernon because of how he stopped the Canadiens from winning the cup a few times in the 80s.

Don't know if he really deserved the honour of retiring his number, but he was a very good player for a good team that included Gilmour, Fleury, McInnis, and McDonald.