Team Speed

Chris

I have heard in alot of telecasts about Monttreal's team speed. I honestly don't think the team is that fast. That in my opinion is why they struggle against faster teams. I'll make a list of who i think is fast, avg. etc. I would appreciate some feedback. I mean fast as compared to other fast NHL players (Cole for example)

Fast:

Higgins

Pleks

Dandy

Begin

Above Avg

Markov

Perez

Murray

Good with the puck (move faster with the puck)

Samsonov

Kovalev

Koivu

So with this not even half of the players have above average speed. Any thoughts?

I would agree, I think they are above average, but not as fast as expected.

More importantly, team speed is both having fast players, and moving the puck fast. This team often does not move the puck that fast. Sammy for example is very fast, but he rarely goes in a straight line. If you tracked the puck, it is not moving up the ice that fast.

I think you really see the speed issue against fast teams that are also hard forchecking teams (Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina). Those teams can bottle the habs up for long periods of time, resulting in lots of habs penalties.

At least last night I saw some flashes of the old Markov making great breakout passes. That is how you generate team speed.

I would agree, I think they are above average, but not as fast as expected.

More importantly, team speed is both having fast players, and moving the puck fast. This team often does not move the puck that fast. Sammy for example is very fast, but he rarely goes in a straight line. If you tracked the puck, it is not moving up the ice that fast.

I think you really see the speed issue against fast teams that are also hard forchecking teams (Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina). Those teams can bottle the habs up for long periods of time, resulting in lots of habs penalties.

At least last night I saw some flashes of the old Markov making great breakout passes. That is how you generate team speed.

I agree with both those posts. Also, speed is one thing. speed coupled WITH SIZE is another. as you rightly pointed out, speed doesnt help much if going east/west - its north/south that matters. carolina beat us with the speed/size combo in the playoffs, and beat us with it in the third last night.

Good point, now let's see who doesn't skate.

Lesser to higher skating habilities.

Rivet

Souray

Bonk

Komisarek

Bouillon

Downey

Streit

Johnson (since being kneed)

Latendresse

Ryder

Kovalev

Bégin

Samsonov without puck

Koivu

Murray

Ninimaa

Perezhogin

Markov

Plekanek

Dandenault

Higgins

So what is Dandenault doing on the 4th line when he is our best skater up and down the ice, he is with Markov and (caught) Ninimaa the only defenseman that can go far in the opponent zone and come back in time.

bouillion can skate, maybe cause he's hurt he isnt as good, but he's a good skater

Rivet

Souray

Bonk

Komisarek

Bouillon

Downey

Streit

Latendresse

Ryder

Kovalev

Bégin

Samsonov without puck

Koivu

Murray

Ninimaa

Perezhogin

Markov

Plekanek

Dandenault

Higgins

So what is Dandenault doing on the 4th line when he is our best skater up and down the ice, he is with Markov and (caught) Ninimaa the only defenseman that can go far in the opponent zone and come back in time.

Rivet

Souray

Bonk

Komisarek

Bouillon

Downey

Streit

Latendresse

Ryder

Kovalev

Bégin

Samsonov without puck

Koivu

Murray

Ninimaa

Perezhogin

Markov

Plekanek

Dandenault

Higgins

You seem to have interchanged Streit and Niimimaa.

I dont know what to say.... thank god I've got a fever now...

No one here has data on a particular players speed... so how can you determine if the team is fast or not...

at most you can say or determine the slowest player on the team and the fastest... by simply watching games that's the extreme.. still that isnt even 5 % of the team...

Topic is interesting and good But Completely Useless discussion without data! Velocity

Yeah Bouillon is the fastest skater in NHL2006 ;)

But yeah also thought he was one of the fastest on the team!

there you go... if that game you guys talk about has top speeds of the palyers ...then thats it ... now you can argue a teams average speed..

Which has NOTHING to do with comparing a team to ONE player like Afinogenov... if afinogenov was the fastest skater in the entire league... What would that tell you when considering team speed? Nothing!! other than 99.99% of the other players are slower than he is..... pleaseeee

We ARE a fast team and we HAVEN'T been struggling against other fast teams, IMO.

Koivu, Markov, Perezhogin, Dandenault, Samsonov, Murray, Plekanec and Begin are all fast skaters.

And guys like Niinimaa, Bouillon, Higgins and Johnson are very mobile.

Komisarek and (believe it or not) Souray are pretty mobile for guys that size.

And we're a talented, y'know? Lots of guys that can make the puck sing, like Kovalev, Samsonov, Koivu, Markov, Plekanec, etc... Markov himself is a wizard with the puck. His perfect breakout passes lead to a strong transition game, which makes us move up the ice faster.